Menu

Old January 29th, 2017, 01:11 AM #21
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

The 2nd Evil wrote: View Post

A Drive To Win

I totally forgot Ashley and Carlos were introduced ahead of Passing The Torch.
Because both were pretty out of character.

Cars Attacks

I will never not love this title.
It's probably more memorable than the movie it's based on.

Honey, I Shrunk The Rangers

I do not think I have ever seen a two part episode that was as wildly different as these two were. The first part contained so much padding. Like, when Shrinkacest was making Blue Senturion, they spent so much time trying to restrain him unmorphed, because it would have been over sooner.
"Bugs in my head... bug... bugs... bugs in my head!"
"Hey, maybe there's something wrong with his head!"

Passing The Torch

I only vaguely remembered Divatox's mother showed up. Though I'm having a hard time really understanding the point of having a new character come in to give the idea to target Tommy to Divatox. It's not exactly breaking new ground, as far as evil plans go.
Are we sure she actually did, though? Maybe Divatox is just crazy and her creative mind manifests that way.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 01:42 AM #22
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

And Bulk and Skull are human again. But now, they're invisible. Because of course they are.
Well at least the writers were actually trying again.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 06:34 AM #23
> SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay
SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!

eBay

There's a lot of focus on Jenny, who I do not believe appears again after this episode
She was intended to be one of the replacement Rangers at one point (see "Rangers in Concert").

This was Doug Sloan's first episode since Shift Into Turbo
More importantly, it's his last until Ninja Storm.

Part two was directed by Koichi Sakamoto. Was this his directorial debut?
He co-directed "King for a Day". He wouldn't direct another episode by his lonesome until "The Wasp with a Heart".
SirStack is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 07:36 AM #24
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil

Primo Ron Pink wrote: View Post

Are we sure she actually did, though? Maybe Divatox is just crazy and her creative mind manifests that way.
Tommy commented on her appearance when she showed up in the cave. I believe Elgar and Rygog reacted to he showing up, as well.

SirStack wrote: View Post

She was intended to be one of the replacement Rangers at one point (see "Rangers in Concert").
I suspected as much. She had way too much focus, and a family connection to a long running recurring character to be the one and done that she ended up becoming. On the other hand, I think Cassie was an improvement on the character in almost every way.

I think what they were trying to do with Jenny (as presented in the episode) they got right with Andros. He was very standoffish and kept to himself because of his personal past, but he was able to eventually be welcomed into an established group and become friends.

He co-directed "King for a Day". He wouldn't direct another episode by his lonesome until "The Wasp with a Heart".
Ah, that's neat to know. Thanks.
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:23 PM #25
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stitch Witchery

The first episode of Judd Lynn's tenure comes with some changes. The most obvious ones are with the opening credits and morphing sequence, and both are what I would say are improvements over what came before, especially the morphing sequence, which is streamlined so that it doesn't take minutes to watch the whole sequence.

This episode was so bizarre, and I loved it! Even beyond very concept of the cursed jacket aspect, you got Blue Senturion in one going ballistic, and even his zord getting one via magic torpedo.

Though, perhaps the oddest thing about this episode -- Besides Cassie now attending Angel Grove High, when she was going to be staying with relatives in Stone Canyon back in Passing The Torch -- is that Divatox pulled this cursed clothing trick as a distraction to cover up a jewel heist. Granted, it was nice to see the alleged Space Pirate attempting some actual pirating, for once, but that's something that the Piranhatrons would be better suited for.

Overall Grade: A-

This was fun. Utterly bonkers, but fun. It is interesting that there was really no transition episode for the four newest Power Rangers, and in this one, they're full fledged heroes with no real getting used to being a Power Ranger.

The Wheel Of Fate

I can't believe I forgot about Lightning Cruiser and Storm Blaster! They're really unique for Power Rangers allies in that they're sentient, but they're not really able to talk and clearly, because, you know, they're cars.

This was a good way of introducing them into the show, and I really like how each one accepted Justin and TJ respectively -- Justin was fighting hard to defend Storm Blaster, and TJ was working hard to find Storm Blaster and Justin after they were captured.

Overall Grade: B+

This episode has something that frankly I think Super Sentai and Power Rangers has forgotten -- know when an episode doesn't need a Zord battle. All too often episodes shoehorn one in when it really doesn't need it thanks to the thematic and emotional beats of the story, and it ultimately lessens the impact the episode had up to that point (Isn't that right, episode of Gokaiger where Aihm kills her parents' murderer and gets vengeance for her planet by herself for the roughly 45 seconds before he's revived?)

All I'm saying is Dreadfeather, after all he did to Lightning Cruiser and Storm Blaster, met his end largely because of the actions of Lightning Cruiser and Storm Blaster, and that made perfect sense within the episode, itself.

Trouble By The Slice

Awwww, yeah!

I love this episode. One of the greatest things this episode did was it allowed Justin to actually be a kid, which you can probably count one one hand the number of times that has happened. He may be a Power Ranger, but he is still only 12, so this was good for him.

The Divatox losing her memory stuff was fun, and it really says a lot about the state of Angel Grove, that when she was sprawled out on the pavement and barely conscious, the main reaction to her was the just... walk around her.

Overall Grade: A

Without question, Turbo's best known episode, and for good reason. It highlights everything that I know I love about Power Rangers: The cheese (though it is typically less literal than it was here), the sense of fun. This is what all Power Rangers episodes should strive to be.
Old February 4th, 2017, 01:21 AM #26
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

Stitch Witchery

This episode was so bizarre, and I loved it! Even beyond very concept of the cursed jacket aspect, you got Blue Senturion in one going ballistic, and even his zord getting one via magic torpedo.
Let's be honest, Turbo as a whole was only entertaining because of Blue Senturion.

Though, perhaps the oddest thing about this episode -- Besides Cassie now attending Angel Grove High, when she was going to be staying with relatives in Stone Canyon back in Passing The Torch -- is that Divatox pulled this cursed clothing trick as a distraction to cover up a jewel heist. Granted, it was nice to see the alleged Space Pirate attempting some actual pirating, for once, but that's something that the Piranhatrons would be better suited for.
Well, it's hard to do Rangering long distance.

And to be fair, Divatox's pirating is what put Storm Blaster and Lightning Cruiser on her radar.

This was fun. Utterly bonkers, but fun. It is interesting that there was really no transition episode for the four newest Power Rangers, and in this one, they're full fledged heroes with no real getting used to being a Power Ranger.
How many Power Rangers got transition episodes? Aside from literally saying the words "This is amazing!" to themselves, they're pretty used to it automatically.

The Wheel Of Fate

This was a good way of introducing them into the show, and I really like how each one accepted Justin and TJ respectively -- Justin was fighting hard to defend Storm Blaster, and TJ was working hard to find Storm Blaster and Justin after they were captured.
My favorite part was T.J. determined to tame this psychotic living car, as though that's something every person should be able to do.

Turbo was an insane show, man.

Trouble By The Slice

The Divatox losing her memory stuff was fun, and it really says a lot about the state of Angel Grove, that when she was sprawled out on the pavement and barely conscious, the main reaction to her was the just... walk around her.
Definitely outside of the typical charity we see from their citizenry.

But given the way she was dressed, she definitely carried disease.
Old February 4th, 2017, 01:25 AM #27
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

The first episode of Judd Lynn's tenure comes with some changes. The most obvious ones are with the opening credits and morphing sequence, and both are what I would say are improvements over what came before, especially the morphing sequence, which is streamlined so that it doesn't take minutes to watch the whole sequence.
I love the second generation's morphing sequence in 'Turbo'. Like you said, they stream-lined it and made it so much slicker and neater and dynamic.

I really loved "Steel Witchery", for the record. Sure, the episode is about evil-inducing jackets, but Ashley gets to be a total badass from start to finish (I adored how she stopped the museum robbery), and I liked that's how we started the next team's run.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:31 AM #28
> MMPRFan90
Power Ranger

MMPRFan90
Power Ranger

I'm in the minority, I really enjoyed Turbo. For me it was the cast, I really loved Adam, Tanya, & Kat and later on in the season loved the new rangers. The Justin factor didn't bother me as a child or as an adult, to me it was just something that happened. Justin didn't annoy me and I liked the different dynamics he had with both teams. I liked Divatox a lot especially Hilary Shepard's take on the character. And last but not least, the return of the unmorphed fight scenes!!!!
MMPRFan90 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 06:21 PM #29
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

The Phantom Phenomenon

This episode had a little bit of everything. From soccer, to bank robberies, to stakeouts and Space Cookies, but yet, it all comes together in a manner that actually makes all those elements make sense.

I like Justin's little friendship with Nico, and again, it's good to see Justin actually acting like a 12 year old, what with his not wanting to tell the others about the spaceship because he promised Nico he wouldn't. Granted, that wasn't a very smart decision, but it does fit in with what a 12 year old would do.

This has bugged me since I was 12, but wouldn't Divatox's torpedoes just make Phantom Ranger's spaceship bigger? I mean, unless she has standard variety torpedoes along with the giant making kind.

A very strong intro to this new story arc, with everything about the Phantom Ranger being just as much a mystery to the audience as it is to both the heroes and villains, alike.

Vanishing Act

This episode... I'm really not sure what to think of it. It was fun seeing the mystery of what exactly was going on unfold, and even cutting off the Power Chamber was a very nice touch as it left it as simply the Power Rangers on their own.

The downside is Divatox didn't really do anything to take advantage of the situation. She walked down an empty street and laughed at the Power Rangers, but that was it. Next time she's seen, she's back in the subcraft, ordering the torpedoes be fired.

Overall Grade: C-

This was an incomplete concept. "The entirety of Angel Grove and all of its citizens are shifted to a slightly altered dimension, leaving the Power Rangers alone." "And then, what?" But that question was never really answered.

Probably the biggest annoyance of this episode was how when the Phantom Ranger came to their aid, which he did a few times during the episode, Cassie was always pestering him about his name, and not things that would have been actually useful to know like, how was he able to see the invisible Piranhatrons? If he knew what exactly was going on, and have any idea how to stop it, or literally anything that could have helped them in any way.

When Time Freezes Over

I'm starting to think that Judd Lynn really likes time travel, which is interesting because he so rarely does it well. This was one of his better attempts with the use of time travel in a story. At least the Time/Space continuum wasn't horrifically beaten and left for dead, this time. And it's scary how low of a bar that actually is.

This was a pretty action heavy episode, but it really comes out of nowhere. What I mean by that is we never find out what Divatox had to gain by freezing the sun. She hardly ever does anything if it doesn't suit her in some way. Just two episodes ago, she attempted to rob a bank because having $10 Million meant she was practically broke.

Phantom Ranger being unaffected when time was frozen added more to the overall mystery surrounding him, as did him being able to teleport the frozen in time Carlos and Justin.

Overall Grade: B-

Not really the greatest episode, but not really a disappointing one. The stuff it did, it did well, but the motivations behind the stuff it did is what I find slightly suspect.

And let's pour one out to Carol Hoyt's run as Divatox. I thought she did a good job with the role, but as I've said earlier, Hilary Shepard Turner is Divatox, to me, and I'm glad to have her back starting with the next episode.
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:16 AM #30
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

The Phantom Phenomenon

This episode had a little bit of everything. From soccer, to bank robberies, to stakeouts and Space Cookies, but yet, it all comes together in a manner that actually makes all those elements make sense.
Well presented. I did think this was fun and different, especially given there was no monster.

This has bugged me since I was 12, but wouldn't Divatox's torpedoes just make Phantom Ranger's spaceship bigger? I mean, unless she has standard variety torpedoes along with the giant making kind.
The only thing that bugged me was why they bothered with the detonator when they had the means to blow it up immediately that they ended up having to use anyway.

Besides, it's not like we haven't already seen Divatox use an explosive device that didn't do what it normally does. *cough*fireenginemonster*cough*

Vanishing Act

This was an incomplete concept. "The entirety of Angel Grove and all of its citizens are shifted to a slightly altered dimension, leaving the Power Rangers alone." "And then, what?" But that question was never really answered.
I'm not sure it had to. Without help, they were in big trouble, and it only got bigger when the guys were kidnapped.

When Time Freezes Over

This was a pretty action heavy episode, but it really comes out of nowhere. What I mean by that is we never find out what Divatox had to gain by freezing the sun. She hardly ever does anything if it doesn't suit her in some way. Just two episodes ago, she attempted to rob a bank because having $10 Million meant she was practically broke.
I think killing all living Earth creatures without a fight would have been something for her to gain.

Phantom Ranger being unaffected when time was frozen added more to the overall mystery surrounding him, as did him being able to teleport the frozen in time Carlos and Justin.
The teleportation system is linked to the Power Chamber, which was already shown to be unaffected by time on Earth. That would also suggest that the Power Ruby's energy was similarly immune.
Old February 27th, 2017, 01:34 AM #31
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

The teleportation system is linked to the Power Chamber, which was already shown to be unaffected by time on Earth. That would also suggest that the Power Ruby's energy was similarly immune.
I loved the implications of that.

That Zordon was so thorough (or so paranoid ... but hey, it worked), that he built protections into the Command Centre to keep the building safe from anybody messing with time itself.
Old February 27th, 2017, 05:56 PM #32
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Stitch Witchery

The Wheel Of Fate

I can't believe I forgot about Lightning Cruiser and Storm Blaster! They're really unique for Power Rangers allies in that they're sentient, but they're not really able to talk and clearly, because, you know, they're cars.

This episode has something that frankly I think Super Sentai and Power Rangers has forgotten -- know when an episode doesn't need a Zord battle. All too often episodes shoehorn one in when it really doesn't need it thanks to the thematic and emotional beats of the story, and it ultimately lessens the impact the episode had up to that point (Isn't that right, episode of Gokaiger where Aihm kills her parents' murderer and gets vengeance for her planet by herself for the roughly 45 seconds before he's revived?)
One of the highlights for me was Carlos displaying his intelligence by coming up with a plan to sneak him and the girls into the warehouse to save Justin. He also looked like he was having fun taking down Elgar and ruining the car that was made for him.
ranger_scout is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 08:05 PM #33
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

The Darkest Day/One Last Hope

Primo mentioned it earlier, but this Divatox is pretty much an entirely different character, even compared to how she was presented in the Turbo movie. In that, and Carol Hoyt's run of the character, she was calculating and diabolical. In these episodes, she's completely unhinged, at times frightening, and frankly hysterical. It's a sudden shift in the character, but it's a shift that has reinvigorated the character.

Havoc is an interesting character, and him bringing along the Space Base allowed the villains to actually change their location, which is something I don't believe has been done since. Although one thing that annoyed me was how his voice completely changed between parts one and two, and the (IMO) better voice was the one he had in part one.

The Rescue Zords were interesting, Now Megazord combo in this episode, which was nice that the individual Zords got an episode to spotlight them, because we all know that's not going to last long.

I loved the very end, with Divatox and Havoc both lamenting their defeat in this, while noting they still came out ahead since they have the Turbo Megazord, and are planning on targeting the Phantom Ranger.

Overall Grade: A+

A pair of truly phenomenal episodes that really changed the game, with losing one set of Zords, but gaining another, and really setting into motion the stories that are to follow.
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:10 PM #34
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

I still think that they should have done the switch during the flight into space, and blamed 'the new Divatox' on the lack of oxygen.

"VIVA LA DIVA! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
"Does she seem... Different to you?"
"Must be this thin atmosphere way up here."
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:30 AM #35
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

The Darkest Day/One Last Hope

Havoc is an interesting character, and him bringing along the Space Base allowed the villains to actually change their location, which is something I don't believe has been done since. Although one thing that annoyed me was how his voice completely changed between parts one and two, and the (IMO) better voice was the one he had in part one.
I think it changes back in part three, so don't worry.

The Rescue Zords were interesting, Now Megazord combo in this episode, which was nice that the individual Zords got an episode to spotlight them, because we all know that's not going to last long.
What I found most interesting was they hid High Stance Mode from us, which was primarily how they were used in the rare instances they didn't go straight to Rescue Megazord.
Old February 28th, 2017, 03:30 AM #36
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

What I found most interesting was they hid High Stance Mode from us, which was primarily how they were used in the rare instances they didn't go straight to Rescue Megazord.
I liked the slow-burn, to be honest. We got new zords, then we got to see all the cool stuff they could do individually, and then we finally got to the Megazord.

It was nice for them to take their time with the toys, as opposed to the current era, I felt.
Old February 28th, 2017, 08:31 PM #37
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Fall Of The Phantom/Clash Of The Megazords

I will forever cherish these episodes for giving what I think is Power Rangers' funniest moment:

Space Base is being pulled towards Earth by the giant magnet beam, Porto calls on Metal Mangler... who is immediately pulled out of the Space Base, taking Divatox's laser with it.

This was a really good conclusion to what was a top notch story arc with some real high stakes to it, as in the end, they were fighting not only to regain control of the Turbo Megazord, but for Phantom Ranger's life, as well.

Only real questionable aspect, is not really against the episodes themselves, because I can't recall, did Havoc ever return, even in In Space? Seemed like kind of a missed opportunity to not just write the character out via destruction right there and then. But on the other hand, his final line was "Ingrate" muttered under his breath, which I jut find very amusing.

Also amusing: Apparently the High School Student Power Rangers just up and ditching school is very much a Judd Lynn thing.

Overall Grade: A

The show under Lynn really seems to be finding its groove, at this point, and these past four episodes have been just a teaser of the type of quality stuff Judd will do in the seasons that followed.
Old February 28th, 2017, 08:56 PM #38
> c_dude
Power Ranger

c_dude
Power Ranger

Fall Of The Phantom/Clash Of The Megazords

Only real questionable aspect, is not really against the episodes themselves, because I can't recall, did Havoc ever return, even in In Space? Seemed like kind of a missed opportunity to not just write the character out via destruction right there and then. But on the other hand, his final line was "Ingrate" muttered under his breath, which I jut find very amusing.
If I remember correctly, he did make an appearance at the gathering of villians in From Out of Nowhere part 1, as well as part of the Machine Empire's invasion (for some reason) in Countdown to Destruction. He had no dialogue either appearance though... he was just there.
c_dude is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 09:12 PM #39
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

c_dude wrote: View Post

If I remember correctly, he did make an appearance at the gathering of villians in From Out of Nowhere part 1, as well as part of the Machine Empire's invasion (for some reason) in Countdown to Destruction. He had no dialogue either appearance though... he was just there.
Well, he looked robotic, so I could see that being the justification. Being suddenly voiceless is a sad fate to befall him, though.
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:08 AM #40
> Shadowforce_71
VIP Football coach

Shadowforce_71
VIP Football coach

I started following this rewatch as well and it reminded me of two hypothesis about Turbo. I feel like Dimitria was testing the originals to see if they could work independently, particularly if Tommy could take orders from say an Andros. Why else would you usher off veterans on the brink of a predicted war? This ties into the swift transition to the Turbo powers. Tommy, Kat, Adam, Tanya, and presumably rehabbed Rocky were meant to be a deep undercover/special forces team with the Zeo powers.
Shadowforce_71 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote