The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

Checking Under The Hood: A Power Rangers Turbo Retrospective

Previous Review Threads:

RPM
Wild Force
Jungle Fury
Dino Thunder

2017 marks the 20th anniversary of Power Rangers Turbo, and with both the source material getting released on DVD by Shout Factory and the new movie hitting theaters in roughly two months, it seems like everything is just lining up so that reviewing this series just makes sense.

I've had Turbo on my list of things to review for some time, now, mostly because it has been years since I saw it last, but also because I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it, and I seem to recall this being the transition season, from when Power Rangers used to be a mostly stand alone glorified After School Special to something with more depth and longer lasting story arcs, which really exploded in the seasons that followed, but this is where most of the ground work was laid.

Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie

This... has not aged particularly well. There are a few things that really stood out to me in this.

The first is this comes across more on par with something like Mystic Force's Dark Wish a multi-part episode that makes a special event that is important to the show (in this case, new powers, zords, and villain set). The second is Divatox's plot in this movie is a real good premise for a season. It'd have to be tweaked so the main focus is not getting to where Maligore is held, but focus on reviving him.

The villains attempting to revive their boss is a seasonal plot that Sentai has overused to the point of absurdity, but Power Rangers has only used it twice, and both were in seasons where they used the Sentai footage for it.

Divatox was a fun villain. Suitably over the top, but is so in a way that makes her stand out from Rita. The Proto-Piranhatrons, though? Yeah, I'm glad those got replaced.

Overall Grade: B

It's a stupid fun little romp that probably could have used another draft to fine tune some aspects, but enjoyable all the same. Perhaps I'm going a little easy on it, but Nostalgia is powerful, and I have very fond memories of seeing this in the theater with my mother and two younger brothers. And after we saw it, we got home in time to watch an episode of Power Rangers Zeo on Fox Kids.

The Maligore suit was just a beautiful looking suit, and holds up better than it movie itself. I'm so glad they reused it for Dark Specter for In Space.

Shift Into Turbo

Yes. This absolutely needed to be three parts. It was crucial to the integrity of the story.

Not a great start to the show, proper. Part one was so bereft of anything of substance that they used an extended clip summary of the movie that took up a chunk of the episode.

I have to wonder, was there a reason why Porto wasn't included in the Turbo movie? He's the only one that wasn't introduced before these episodes.

I get Justin being twelve, needs to attend school. I get they already had the school sets. But did they really have to make Justin a child prodigy that jumped to high school? They could have certainly just redressed the sets and have it act as a middle school. I also call BS on every one of the Rangers' post graduation jobs, except for Tommy, but he had a family connection, so of course he'd get a job like that literally right out of high school.

Overall Grade: C-

There was barely enough plot for one episode, let alone three, which lead to more padding than anything of actual importance. Carol Hoyt does a decent job as the new Divatox, but for my money, Hilary Shepard Turner just managed the character more to my liking.
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:32 PM #2
> Oceanblue
Power Ranger

Oceanblue
Power Ranger

I'm a huge Turbo fan and I'm so happy you're doing this!

I think you're spot-on about the movie. It could have used a few revisions to make it work, but overall, I still really love it -- possibly even more than the first movie.

The ensemble feeling of the film really does it for me. We have Tommy, Kat, Adam, Tanya, Justin, Rocky, Kimberly, and Jason all in one film together. I still think it would have been really great if instead of just Kimberly and Jason, we could've gotten the entire original team back together to act as Maligore's corrupted souls -- but I guess that would have been too much juggling, especially for Power Rangers. All the same, the movie really helps create the feeling that there truly is a "Power Ranger family" (to quote Dimitria from later in the series). Including characters like Bulk, Skull, Detective Stone, and even Ernie very briefly really made the whole thing feel special and authentic to the show.

Additionally, I love how the movie presents an exciting adventure to the audience. I guess we got an adventure in the first movie, but they basically teleported to a jungle planet that looks very similar to Earth and walked through a deep forest until they came to a temple. Not much of an adventure, even though it was interstellar. This time, we had an alien stuck in Africa, cars in the desert, a ghost ship, an island lost in another dimension, and a martial arts competition on top of all of that. xD I just thought it was so exciting and fun to watch.

It's still far from perfect, of course. As we've been saying for years, I wish we could've gotten a cleaner transition from Zeo to the Turbo powers -- but hey, it's dust in the wind at this point.

I haven't seen Shift into Turbo in a long while, but I do remember it feeling rushed and padded out at the same time. I likewise call BS on the instant post-graduation jobs. Maybe the mid-late 90s were just a different time...but I'm not buying it.

I actually like Justin, but I agree that shoehorning him into the high school was a bad idea. It's not unrealistic -- I went to high school with someone who skipped two grades, which is basically what Justin did if I'm not mistaken -- but for me, the big problem is the timing. The Rangers graduate in the premiere, but we see Justin in high school immediately following this. So is it summer vacation or not? Unless I'm mistaken and I'm thinking of later episodes?

I'm gonna be following this thread, thanks for doing it.
Oceanblue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:02 PM #3
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

The 2nd Evil wrote: View Post

It's a stupid fun little romp that probably could have used another draft to fine tune some aspects, but enjoyable all the same.
I didn't mind it, but I agree the script is incredibly problematic and really needed a lot of fine-tuning. There are too many plot-points that just don't make a shred of sense. I could forgive one or two, but the whole story was built on them. If Divatox's sub could teleport to Earth, why couldn't she teleport it straight to the Nemesis Triangle? Why didn't Divatox hear Jason and Kim's escape attempt when it was happening, like, five feet below her?

And the worst ... all the alien muppet (who I hated) needed to do was use his key to open the sacred temple door, yet when the Rangers reach the temple all they do is run through a giant gap in the wall, which renders the entire plot null and void.

There were just so many little things that obviously needed patching.

Shift Into Turbo

I have to wonder, was there a reason why Porto wasn't included in the Turbo movie? He's the only one that wasn't introduced before these episodes.
I always imagine it was because the suit just looked a bit stupid. Rygog had an awesome design, and Elgar was to a point ... but Porto just looked like a fat little dude wearing a port-hole. I would suggest that's why they left it out of the motion picture.

I get Justin being twelve, needs to attend school. I get they already had the school sets. But did they really have to make Justin a child prodigy that jumped to high school?
I liked Justin a lot more on my own rewatch, but I agree, there were a couple of mis-steps with the character. And making him a child prodigy was one of them. I could never help the thought that the show-runners missed Billy, and were trying to replace him.

I also call BS on every one of the Rangers' post graduation jobs, except for Tommy, but he had a family connection, so of course he'd get a job like that literally right out of high school.
Why? Tanya almost had a singing career back in Zeo, so it makes sense she'd end up in the media/entertainment industry. Kat is a teacher because she's still trying to be perfect at everything. Adam at the stunt show, I agree, is a bit of a leap, but it's not like they spent much time on Adam's character in the first place. For me, I found Tommy's to be the most grating. They have car-themed powers, and look at that, Tommy's found a car-themed career at the same time!

But then again Tommy would go on to own the juice bar, be a scientist and then be a teacher. I kind of like the idea that, after he retires from super-heroing, he just doesn't really know what to do with his life.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 12:17 AM #4
> ⚡Zeddykins
FACEPALM

Zeddykins
FACEPALM

I rather like the idea of the over-reaching arc of the season to be reviving Maligore. An original Megazord fight between the Turbo and Rescue Megazords at the end would have been wonderful.
Zeddykins is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:02 PM #5
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Shadow Rangers

So, this episode was directed by one Chip Lynn. Huh. No idea he directed episodes going back this far.

This was a huge improvement over Shift Into Turbo. It was a lot more grounded, more simplistic, and I do like that Dimitria is not giving the answers when asked, but asking the questions the Power Rangers need to find the answers themselves. Though I do remember not being too broken up when she stopped the whole Jeopardy Contestant method of speaking.

One of the big things I remember about the first half of Turbo is that it was criticized for trying to take the ultra silly CarRanger footage and do something serious with it, which was a battle, more often than not, but in this episode, Divatox and Porto act like they're covering the Macy's Parade while introducing Chromite. Which, yeah, that's pretty damn silly, but again, Divatox is over the top enough that it doesn't seem out of place.

Overall Grade: B-

This was thoroughly enjoyable. Monster was defeated in a creative manner with the Megazord creating shade which ended up defeating it. Lt.Stone going from back on the police force to running the Juice bar is.... out of nowhere. Allows more Monkey related hijinks to happen, so there is that.

I had actually forgotten early Turbo had Divatox planting detonators all around Angel Grove. This episode had Porto refer to it a a bomb by name, so, yeah. Divatox is a terrorist.

Transmission Impossible

I think my grandmother used to have an afghan that looks like the shirt Kat was wearing in this episode...

This was a great episode! Easy the best offering Turbo has had to this point. Divatox was suitably vicious in her attempts to stop Visceron from getting his message to Dimitria. The Detonators have added an extra layer of tension to the battles, as they have to stop those as well as the monsters they fight, and this episode really brought the two of them to head with Visceron's monster form just getting engulfed by the explosion from the detonator. Something we probably shouldn't expect to see on the show again any time soon.

Overall Grade: A

I loved this episode. Tanya being stuck in the radio station during her show while all this is going down, and having to use her radio show as a means to contact the other Power Rangers was really smart, and added some extra tension as she was in the radio station that was threatened by the detonator. It's just a shame the Dimitria's sister thing will be dropped during the second half, because this was a really good way of laying the foundation of it.

Rally Ranger

This is a weird one. I like this episode, but there is some issues with it, the biggest of which involves when Porto grows himself, the Power Rangers try to fight him off, and not call the Zords. Now, I know the reason for this is because in the CarRanger episode this episode used footage, they weren't introduced yet, but they already have been in Turbo, and the disconnect is there, and it is bothersome.

This was a nice little episode for Justin, who got a chance to just be a kid and compete in a race. It's probably the best written the Justin character has been to this point.

There's not a whole lot to say about this one. It was a nice little episode for Justin, though once you think about it, nobody noticed Elgar putting the detonator on Warren's car. Had Porto not gone AWOL and it worked like it was supposed to, the death toll would have been enormous.
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:56 PM #6
> AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

Divatox was a fun villain. Suitably over the top, but is so in a way that makes her stand out from Rita. The Proto-Piranhatrons, though? Yeah, I'm glad those got replaced.
HATED those faces.

And it turned out I loved the faces of the series ones

Shift Into Turbo

Yes. This absolutely needed to be three parts. It was crucial to the integrity of the story.
I could taste the sarcasm.

I'm guessing waste of refurbishing or not being ready in time.

A shame, too, since Porto was all in all far more interesting a character than Rygog. But Rygog, or should I say Gynamo, had one of the weirdest and most dynamic costumes in Sentai history.

I get Justin being twelve, needs to attend school. I get they already had the school sets. But did they really have to make Justin a child prodigy that jumped to high school? They could have certainly just redressed the sets and have it act as a middle school. I also call BS on every one of the Rangers' post graduation jobs, except for Tommy, but he had a family connection, so of course he'd get a job like that literally right out of high school.
I call more BS on Tommy's than on Katherine's.

And what good would Justin being in a normal grade do him? The whole reason the writers went there was so he could interact with the others, like when Kat saw him getting picked on by those bullies.

There was barely enough plot for one episode, let alone three, which lead to more padding than anything of actual importance. Carol Hoyt does a decent job as the new Divatox, but for my money, Hilary Shepard Turner just managed the character more to my liking.
They were almost different characters. Hilary was wacky, Carol was surly.

Shadow Rangers

This was a huge improvement over Shift Into Turbo. It was a lot more grounded, more simplistic, and I do like that Dimitria is not giving the answers when asked, but asking the questions the Power Rangers need to find the answers themselves. Though I do remember not being too broken up when she stopped the whole Jeopardy Contestant method of speaking.
It's literally addressed this one time and everything else is just adding lines to the dialogue than any actual puzzle-solving.

I had actually forgotten early Turbo had Divatox planting detonators all around Angel Grove. This episode had Porto refer to it a a bomb by name, so, yeah. Divatox is a terrorist.
I wish I could have ever forgotten. ;_;

And yeah, no way would that go over today. The past is a marvelous thing, ain't it?

Transmission Impossible

This was a great episode! Easy the best offering Turbo has had to this point. Divatox was suitably vicious in her attempts to stop Visceron from getting his message to Dimitria. The Detonators have added an extra layer of tension to the battles, as they have to stop those as well as the monsters they fight, and this episode really brought the two of them to head with Visceron's monster form just getting engulfed by the explosion from the detonator. Something we probably shouldn't expect to see on the show again any time soon.
I hate fake consequences like that. Either blow him up or don't, though it was the only way they would have known the monster was Visceron, so whatev.

Rally Ranger

This is a weird one. I like this episode, but there is some issues with it, the biggest of which involves when Porto grows himself, the Power Rangers try to fight him off, and not call the Zords. Now, I know the reason for this is because in the CarRanger episode this episode used footage, they weren't introduced yet, but they already have been in Turbo, and the disconnect is there, and it is bothersome.
What bothered me was how much time Porto had to just kill them and was so busy gloating.

There's not a whole lot to say about this one. It was a nice little episode for Justin, though once you think about it, nobody noticed Elgar putting the detonator on Warren's car. Had Porto not gone AWOL and it worked like it was supposed to, the death toll would have been enormous.
Given how we've already seen two detonators actually explode (and one later on), there really isn't a lot to fear from such plans.
AkaGreenPrimo is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 07:54 PM #7
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Primo Ron White wrote: View Post

I hate fake consequences like that. Either blow him up or don't, though it was the only way they would have known the monster was Visceron, so whatev.
The Deus Ex Machina of Dimitria healing him did put a damper on things, I do admit, but not so much that it really hampered my enjoyment all that much.

Built For Speed

This one was stupid. The main conflict of the episode is that one of two groups of stunt men are upset because they are always on the losing side of a fake fight. That's the main conflict.

If it wasn't for the total coincidence that Demon Racer (Who had "Speed King" plastered on him in giant English letters) picked one of their cars, none of this would have mattered. Okay, sure Bulk and Skull would have caused both of them to plummet to their deaths, but you can't tell me that wouldn't have been Dawinism in action, there, because of how stupid they were acting.

Overall Grade: F

Absolutely dreadful. A nothing plot that is only held together by the cars being unattended at that particular place and time for Demon Racer to plant the Fuzzy Dice Of Doom on.

Bicycle Built For The Blues

They used Happy Birthday To You. They actually paid for the use of Happy Birthday To You.

This one was essentially the episode Happy Birthday, Zack mixed with the movie Speed. And it worked shockingly better than one might think.

Having Justin being trapped on a moving Detonator kept the tension high, and was a "Justin in peril" thing that felt more natural, compared to his shoelace getting stuck around the car pedal in Shadow Rangers or his derby car crashing in Rally Ranger. It's Justin's birthday and Divatox targeted him on it. It's simple, and it works.

I think my favorite moment of the episode was Divatox opening Porto's face thing, reaching inside, and pulling out a fully popped bag of popcorn

Overall Grade: B+

I've always liked this episode. It didn't break any new ground, but it used a tried and true Power Rangers villain formula, and it did that very well.

I do have some questions about Justin's father, however. It was said in the movie that Justin's mother had recently died, and that his father took it hard. He was with the kids that came from the shelter, so did Justin's dad lose his guardianship? Justin was surprised to see him in this episode, but it's not really clear what the situation is, there. Or where Justin lives and who he lives with, for that mater.
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:29 PM #8
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Okay, sure Bulk and Skull would have caused both of them to plummet to their deaths, but you can't tell me that wouldn't have been Dawinism in action, there, because of how stupid they were acting.
The thing that occurred to me about this point is that, nobody knows that Bulk and Skull have been turned into chimps. The Rangers (who have grown up alongside these pair of idiots), their colleagues on the police force, their families (who we did actually meet), their love interests ... nobody knows that Bulk and Skull are the two chimps. For all intents and purposes, Bulk and Skull have vanished off the face of the Earth.

And nobody cares.

Nobody mentions them, nobody talks about them, nobody wonders where they are. They've just vanished into the ether, and not a single resident of Angel Grove gives half a crap.

I've always liked this episode. It didn't break any new ground, but it used a tried and true Power Rangers villain formula, and it did that very well.
I never liked this one at the time (Big Burpa, the most irritating monster ever. Ever) and I don't care for it much now, but what was interesting to me was how the Australian censors hacked it to pieces. The entire sequence of Tommy trying to shoot the bike's wheels, and then jumping off his car and onto the bike, to wrestle Justin free? That was all gone. The Australian censors deemed that too violent and hardcore for the audience. We cut from Tommy in Red Lightning, to Tommy and Justin crashing to the grass.

Because the Australian censors are idiots.
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:35 PM #9
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Peter wrote: View Post

but what was interesting to me was how the Australian censors hacked it to pieces. The entire sequence of Tommy trying to shoot the bike's wheels, and then jumping off his car and onto the bike, to wrestle Justin free? That was all gone. The Australian censors deemed that too violent and hardcore for the audience. We cut from Tommy in Red Lightning, to Tommy and Justin crashing to the grass.

Because the Australian censors are idiots.
So, they cut out the entire resolution to the main point of drama in the episode. That is amazing. And by amazing, I mean, awful.
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:40 PM #10
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

The thing that occurred to me about this point is that, nobody knows that Bulk and Skull have been turned into chimps. The Rangers (who have grown up alongside these pair of idiots), their colleagues on the police force, their families (who we did actually meet), their love interests ... nobody knows that Bulk and Skull are the two chimps. For all intents and purposes, Bulk and Skull have vanished off the face of the Earth.

And nobody cares.

Nobody mentions them, nobody talks about them, nobody wonders where they are. They've just vanished into the ether, and not a single resident of Angel Grove gives half a crap.
Maybe Lieutenant Stone just assumed the higher-ups sent them (out of all people) on some deep undercover mission and didn't get word of it because it coincided with his retirement. And then never questioned it when they returned.

Whereas the rangers, who graduated, may have assumed everyone moved on, out of the city, off to college, adopt a kid together, who knows. They didn't get to see Bulk's and Skull's oddly timed return.

At least Kaplan cared enough later.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:46 PM #11
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

So, they cut out the entire resolution to the main point of drama in the episode. That is amazing. And by amazing, I mean, awful.
Pretty much. I remember watching the Shout DVD episode, and I was like, "Holy crap! This actually makes sense now!"

And that's not even the worst thing the Australian censors have done to the show, put it that way. Not by a country mile.

timegold wrote: View Post

Whereas the rangers, who graduated, may have assumed everyone moved on, out of the city, off to college, adopt a kid together, who knows. They didn't get to see Bulk's and Skull's oddly timed return.
I thought it was implied that Rocky was still in Angel Grove, so I would've liked to have seen them still hanging out with him in some capacity. But he became just one more ex-friend of the Rangers who they never really hung out with afterwards.
Old January 21st, 2017, 10:58 PM #12
> AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

Built For Speed

This one was stupid. The main conflict of the episode is that one of two groups of stunt men are upset because they are always on the losing side of a fake fight. That's the main conflict.
It's Angel Grove, man. It's weird when people aren't morons.

They used Happy Birthday To You. They actually paid for the use of Happy Birthday To You.
Actually, this was made before the family invoked that royalty BS.

And the 75th anniversary just passed recently, so it's free of charge again.

Having Justin being trapped on a moving Detonator kept the tension high, and was a "Justin in peril" thing that felt more natural, compared to his shoelace getting stuck around the car pedal in Shadow Rangers or his derby car crashing in Rally Ranger. It's Justin's birthday and Divatox targeted him on it. It's simple, and it works.
My favorite part was Justin trying to solve the problem on his own instead of just waiting for help. That's what real heroes do.

I do have some questions about Justin's father, however. It was said in the movie that Justin's mother had recently died, and that his father took it hard. He was with the kids that came from the shelter, so did Justin's dad lose his guardianship? Justin was surprised to see him in this episode, but it's not really clear what the situation is, there. Or where Justin lives and who he lives with, for that mater.
Yeah, that whole thing was murky from the start. Who puts their kid in foster care just to leave town for work? How can you have ZERO family or friends?

Then there's another issue, but it comes up way later in the season, so I'll let you get there.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 08:11 PM #13
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Actually, this was made before the family invoked that royalty BS.
Really? I actually wasn't aware it lapsed into public domain, only for it to have been brought back.

The Whole Lie

It's dawning on me that the chimps just being in the Youth Center have got to be some sort of health code violation...

This episode was.... I don't know. I thought it was enjoyable, but there really wasn't a lot that makes it stand out, or anything, other than the chimps saving the day by complete accident. It was an average episode. It was a fun average episode, but still an average episode.

Overall Grade: C

Elgar had a rather bizarre, unspoken subplot, in which he was fighting off a squid that was winning for most of the episode, until he showed up with it cooked at the very end. If nothing else, the villains seemed to have retained just a little bit of the CarRanger wackiness.

Glyph Hanger

Uh, Porto? Maligore didn't so much leave Divatox at the alter so much as he was killed before anything could happen.

Man, was there ever a disconnect between Pharaoh in original footage and in CarRanger footage. He seemed so much tougher in the footage, and it actually came off a little jarring.

A fun little episode. The English words getting turned into Hieroglyphics, were little more than some sight gags, but I thought it was fun, all the same. Especially with the neon sign in the juice bar.

I don't know why, but Justin calling the group of Piranhatrons they fought a "School" made me laugh. I guess technically, he's not wrong.
Old January 23rd, 2017, 05:30 PM #14
> AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

The Whole Lie

It's dawning on me that the chimps just being in the Youth Center have got to be some sort of health code violation...
I'll have you know Lt. Stone keeps very clean monkeys.

Keep in mind he was the one that bought them those cute overalls.

Glyph Hanger

Uh, Porto? Maligore didn't so much leave Divatox at the alter so much as he was killed before anything could happen.
Which was rude of him to do without asking!
Old January 24th, 2017, 01:24 AM #15
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Which was rude of him to do without asking!
Probably for the best.

Imagine the honey-moon.

"Uh, how about we just play chess instead, sweety?"
Old January 24th, 2017, 01:44 AM #16
> AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

Imagine the honey-moon.

"Uh, how about we just play chess instead, sweety?"
Have you seen the woman's tongue, Peter?
Old January 24th, 2017, 03:16 AM #17
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Have you seen the woman's tongue, Peter?
No.

Obviously you were paying attention, though.
Old January 25th, 2017, 07:54 PM #18
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Weight And See

This is probably the one episode that I most associate with the first Turbo cast, and I really have no idea why. Must have just really stuck a chord with me at 12.

The Bitchy Ballerina was probably one of the more realistic portrayals of a bully Power Rangers has had. She was hurt that she didn't get the part, said some mean things to Kat, and Kat took them to heart. It actually happens, and it's awful, but it does happen, and in the end Kat was able to overcome Numbor's spell, and with it, the taunts of Bitchy Ballerina.

Overall Grade: B+

At first, it seemed like the show was going to tackle body shaming, but that ended up being little more than just a way to introduce the moral, and then had nothing else to do with the rest of the episode. I'm torn on whether or not this is a good thing or not, as Power Rangers does tend to get just a little heavy handed at times, especially this era, in which the episodes tended to be more morality plays and didn't really have a whole lot of substance to them.

And I know it's somewhat of a cliche whenever The Nutcracker is used, but the bully getting the role of Rat King amuses me every time.

Alarmed And Dangerous

And speaking of Bullies! Justin getting bullied and even considering using his Turbo powers is something I'm surprised it hasn't come up since this. It's a very real thing, and he could have done some serious damage had he given in to it. Though the sudden resolution to bully episode arc left a lot to be desire, they found a common bond and became friends way to fast and easily.

I call shenanigans on the Detonator turning the fire truck into a monster. Every other one had been with the intention of going boom and destroying things. The one that actually goes off just turns the fire truck into a monster? I have a hard time buying that sudden switch with no build.

Overall Grade: A-

I really liked this one. I keep on forgetting to bring this up, but I like the sort of motherly attitude Kat has taken towards Justin. It's not really in your face, but they have had some nice interactions, and it makes sense to me that she would be protective of the newest Ranger.

The biggest faults of the episode, I felt were the sudden and rushed conclusion to Justin's bully arc and the Detonator plot.

The Millennium Message

Ah, The Millennium Message. Yet another plotline that was introduced that showed great promise, only to have been completely discarded and forgotten upon the change in leadership. Divatox did get the full message (which the audience was not privy to) and the Power Rangers only got a jumbled version of it.

There was a lot to this episode, with the finding and reprogramming of The Blue Senturion, him getting a Detonator planted within him, and trying to stop a monster and get rid of the detonator before it explodes. Even Divatox got to spend some time out of the Subcraft for once.

This was a great episode. Lots of action, a decent mystery (even if it did end up being forgotten and unsolved), and The Blue Senturion makes his debut, in which it is clear he is very lawfully strong willed, which can comically serious at times, as he did in this episode with just the way he said things, which works for the character, I think.
Old January 26th, 2017, 01:11 AM #19
> AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

AkaGreenPrimo
Red Fed Redemption

Weight And See

This is probably the one episode that I most associate with the first Turbo cast, and I really have no idea why. Must have just really stuck a chord with me at 12.
You make me six.

Alarmed And Dangerous

I call shenanigans on the Detonator turning the fire truck into a monster. Every other one had been with the intention of going boom and destroying things. The one that actually goes off just turns the fire truck into a monster? I have a hard time buying that sudden switch with no build.
But now the question is, how sure are we that this wasn't always the intent?

The Millennium Message

Ah, The Millennium Message. Yet another plotline that was introduced that showed great promise, only to have been completely discarded and forgotten upon the change in leadership. Divatox did get the full message (which the audience was not privy to) and the Power Rangers only got a jumbled version of it.
The weirdest part being the guy was from the near future yet showed no signs of missing anyone or anything from that time period.

Though, I suppose being a law enforcement robot, he was very much content as a meter maid helping old ladies and schoolchildren cross the street.
Old January 28th, 2017, 08:02 PM #20
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

A Drive To Win

A Publisher's Clearing House reference? And here I was getting all shocked when Wild Force made a reference to the early 2000s dot com crash.

I totally forgot Ashley and Carlos were introduced ahead of Passing The Torch. Watching this, the actual Power Rangers stuff was probably the weakest element of the episode. The introductions to Ashley and Carlos were done well, and we got to know them a little better as the episode progressed. The detonator in the scoreboard added some tension to the game, with Carlos unwittingly helping Divatox with each goal, with the fourth goal especially dramatic with Justin reaching in the scoreboard to grab the detonator. Compared to all that, the actual Power Rangers stuff just wasn't that engrossing.

Overall Gard: B+

We're starting the build to the future, here, with the introduction of Ashley and Carlos. It was a real simplistic episode, but it got the characters of Ashley and Carlos across, and Carlos learned the all important teamwork lesson.

Cars Attacks

I will never not love this title.

This is a weird one. There's a lot of focus on Jenny, who I do not believe appears again after this episode, and that is something that is probably for the best, as Kat's dressing down of her just highlighted every aspect of her that made her unbearable.

This was also from an early CarRanger episode, and it frankly shows even more than it did in Rally Ranger. The explanation of why Griller doesn't grow (because they didn't at that point in CarRanger) with Elgar removing the torpedoes to polish them was actually pretty funny.

Overall Grade: C

This was Doug Sloan's first episode since Shift Into Turbo, and it was kind of disappointing. Between the focus on a character that was not pleasant to watch and a plot that had some fun antics to it, but was sadly short on substance, and didn't really do much with the attacking cars aspect.

Honey, I Shrunk The Rangers

I do not think I have ever seen a two part episode that was as wildly different as these two were. The first part contained so much padding. Like, when Shrinkacest was making Blue Senturion, they spent so much time trying to restrain him unmorphed, because it would have been over sooner.

Part two was directed by Koichi Sakamoto. Was this his directorial debut? It had a much different visual style that really worked with the shrunken Rangers on Divatox's Subcraft.

And Bulk and Skull are human again. But now, they're invisible. Because of course they are.

Overall Grade: B-

Part one was really bad, but part two more than made up for it, creating a fun escape from capture episode that had a very unique conclusion.

I also cannot wait for Peter to tell us how badly the Australian censors butchered these episodes, between Justin leaping onto the hood of a moving car, and entry via torpedo.

Passing The Torch

I only vaguely remembered Divatox's mother showed up. Though I'm having a hard time really understanding the point of having a new character come in to give the idea to target Tommy to Divatox. It's not exactly breaking new ground, as far as evil plans go.

This episode introduces us to TJ and Cassie, and they both make very good first impressions, risking their lives for a pair of complete strangers, and yet, they never doubted that it was the right thing to do.

This is really the last big cast shakeup, so it's good to see they at least made it a memorable one, with the big ceremony, and even Zordon and Alpha 5 returning to partake in the festivities.

It truly was the end of an era, as these were the longest serving cast, putting the cap on the first half of the season, and bringing us forward to the Judd Lynn era.