The script for The Woman Who Fell To Earth has been made available

https://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/sc...r-who-series11
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 06:05 PM #5763
> clark1951
Devotee of Megaforce Pink

clark1951
Devotee of Megaforce Pink

IN Australia's JB Hi-Fi magazine STACK, there's a feature article about the recent series and is summed up by this comment:

"Doctor Who has been dumbed down to the point where the sonic screwdriver is now an instant fix."

Now I have to completely agree with this statement. I can't recall how often the Doctor whipped out the sonic in this series. I believe there was one episode it was out every couple of minutes.

IN the booklet of Peter Davison's first season Blu-ray release, the article for "The Visitation" stated that the reason why JNT got rid of it is because if the Doctor is supposed to be as smart as he/she is, he/she should be using it to get out of situations rather than the sonic. Who can forget how he created a sophisticated mechanism using spoons, a cup and tea to thwart the Master in "The Time Monster"?

My other problems with the new series lately over the old is the psychic paper. IN the classic series, it was the Doctor's actions that gained the trust of the locals, but now he uses trickery of pretending to be someone he/she isn't to get into places. Also, the producers still seem to forget the Doctor's personality changes with each regeneration but lately each one has had the same personality. Patrick was completely different to William. Jon was different to Patrick etc.
clark1951 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 06:10 PM #5764
> SephStuff
Power Ranger

SephStuff
Power Ranger

I agree about the screwdriver. I liked the first episode where she built one from scratch herself, and hoped that would be what we were going to see more of, but no, most episodes resorted to using the screwdriver as an all purpose scanning tool.

The personalities do change with regenerations, but what I think they've got better at in New Who is the Doctors evolving over the course of their lives. Capaldi's first interactions with Clara are completely different to the ones he had with Bill - he grew back into having emotions, while at the start of his regeneration he rejected them. I tend to like the idea that each Doctor is a response to the last - Smith was a very emotional, sentimental Doctor, and Capaldi was initially a 360 degree spin, but who came to recognise connections as being needed. Whittaker seems to be a response again - the Doctor has realised she's stronger with a family and just wants to see the universe through their eyes.
SephStuff is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:12 PM #5765
> ZERO_ninja
I'm a Kamen Rider!

ZERO_ninja
I'm a Kamen Rider!

SephStuff wrote: View Post

I tend to like the idea that each Doctor is a response to the last
I actually have a notepad with basically a couple thousand word essay I slowly put together over time detailing how I think each Doctor's personality evolved out of the previous incarnations life and experiences.
ZERO_ninja is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:21 PM #5766
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Bleeding Cool claims the 2020 delay boils down to insufficient funding

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01...ries-12-delay/
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:29 PM #5767
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

One of the biggest franchises in the UK, on the countries biggest network and they don't have the funds!?
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:54 PM #5768
> ZERO_ninja
I'm a Kamen Rider!

ZERO_ninja
I'm a Kamen Rider!

Virus wrote: View Post

One of the biggest franchises in the UK, on the countries biggest network and they don't have the funds!?
One of the biggest franchises in the UK that the BBC can't make any money whatsoever on broadcasting it. The BBC don't operate like a regular channel which has its upsides and downsides.

In the current day and age when the TV license fees are being spread further than before while less and less people have a TV license it can be hard to have a lot of budget to allocate.

Plus to add to this British TV is in general an extremely low budget affair compared to US TV, which is part of why there's so little genre TV in the UK to begin with.
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:57 PM #5769
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

As the article points out, the goverment is incredibly tight-arsed about lending out money to the left-leaning BBC (or, let's face it, virtually anyone) because the government is very right wing. Some of the BBC News coverage on the Tories is quite savage, which does the corporation no favours.
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:59 PM #5770
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

But isn't the BBC funded in part by fees or something of that nature?
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 03:17 PM #5771
> ZERO_ninja
I'm a Kamen Rider!

ZERO_ninja
I'm a Kamen Rider!

Virus wrote: View Post

But isn't the BBC funded in part by fees or something of that nature?
If you watch TV in the UK legally you are responsible to pay for a TV license at a fee set by the government.

Legally this is the only money the BBC can make and are not allowed to air a single for profit advert on any of their services.

Their commercial releases such as DVD/BDs and merchandise operate in a slightly different field and technically is BBC Worldwide which are only a subsidiary of the BBC itself. BBC WWs merchandising profits are only a pittance in the overall really and cannot feed back into their TV budgets anyway. This is actually why BBC Worldwide exists, because for the BBC to even be making money in this way it technically has to be as a separate subsidiary owned by the BBC internally making and spending its own money.

Some of the BBC News coverage on the Tories is quite savage, which does the corporation no favours.
Well years ago that was the case. For several years now the BBC have been heavily bias in the Tories favour. For fairly obvious reasons about not biting the hand that feeds them when that hand was trying to actually remove their food, but it is still frustrating to see how bias they've become.

Last edited by ZERO_ninja; January 11th, 2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old January 11th, 2019, 04:25 PM #5772
> blacklion400
Power Ranger

blacklion400
Power Ranger

Some of the BBC News coverage on the Tories is quite savage, which does the corporation no favours.
Er... that is really not the case these days.
blacklion400 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 05:07 PM #5773
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

I agree about the screwdriver. I liked the first episode where she built one from scratch herself, and hoped that would be what we were going to see more of, but no, most episodes resorted to using the screwdriver as an all purpose scanning tool.
This has been going on for a long time though, it's not like this only became an issue this season.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:07 PM #5774
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

clark1951 wrote: View Post

IN Australia's JB Hi-Fi magazine STACK, there's a feature article about the recent series and is summed up by this comment:

"Doctor Who has been dumbed down to the point where the sonic screwdriver is now an instant fix."

Now I have to completely agree with this statement. I can't recall how often the Doctor whipped out the sonic in this series. I believe there was one episode it was out every couple of minutes.
So basically just like every series, then? That's the complaint every year, "the sonic just does everything". Does this person think they're the first to ever say this or something?

Also, the producers still seem to forget the Doctor's personality changes with each regeneration but lately each one has had the same personality. Patrick was completely different to William. Jon was different to Patrick etc.
Wait, how is Whittaker the same personality as Capaldi? How is Capaldi the same as Smith? This one seems like a big stretch.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:12 PM #5775
> SephStuff
Power Ranger

SephStuff
Power Ranger

Oh definitely, it's been going on for years. Given that first episode, I had just got my hopes up that things would be different this year. Sadly no. Though I did like in Demons of the Punjab where she built a device to investigate rather than just use the screwdriver.

Regarding the funding, could say BBC Worldwide or BBC America commission a series or special episodes outside of the regular run, or would this have to come from the same pool of funding? If the BBC in the UK went to like 6 episodes a year, and basically outsourced the event episodes.

I don't know if the series is making the most of it's budget anyway. We had two episodes filmed overseas, and while the background helped add to the episode, I don't know if they actually made the most of it.
SephStuff is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:26 PM #5776
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Huh. I would've thought it was just to get back to a spring schedule again.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 12:47 AM #5777
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

blacklion400 wrote: View Post

Er... that is really not the case these days.
Are you sure? Maybe I'm just being selective, but they appear to be always mocking the tories
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:19 AM #5778
> ZERO_ninja
I'm a Kamen Rider!

ZERO_ninja
I'm a Kamen Rider!

Regarding the funding, could say BBC Worldwide or BBC America commission a series or special episodes outside of the regular run, or would this have to come from the same pool of funding? If the BBC in the UK went to like 6 episodes a year, and basically outsourced the event episodes.
I don't think they legally can, I'm really not sure of the full logistics of such a situation though.

BBC Worldwide don't have the facilities to do such a thing as they're just a merchandising company. BBC America could but the BBC I believe would need to then purchase those episodes BBCA made from them to air them.

As a couple of examples to set a precedent, Orphan Black is a BBCA show, but if BBC wanted to air it they'd have to purchase the UK license from BBCA like any other network (which is why it didn't air on BBC because they gave it a pass and someone else snatched it up for UK distribution). In a case involving Big Finish, BBC Radio 7 had to commission the Eighth Doctor Adventures from Big Finish, it wasn't as simple as BBCWW being the license holder so the BBC just get it for free.

Also worth keeping in mind, that much like most companies, the BBC won't want to outsource one of their flagships to someone else for a multitude of reasons that involve both publicity and control.

Last edited by ZERO_ninja; January 12th, 2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old January 13th, 2019, 03:33 AM #5779
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

The Dalek Masterplan is being released on Vinyl

https://imgur.com/qRGjcXM
Old January 19th, 2019, 05:47 AM #5780
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

The covers for Eric Saward's novelisations of his Dalek serials...unusually not fitted with the recent Target layout as the others.