Home Menu

Menu

Old June 29th, 2016, 12:19 PM #61
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

Today, the movie was listed as one of Entertainment Weekly's sequels that took more than 10 years to be released after its predecessor. Not surprisingly it has the longest length with 54 years.

http://www.ew.com/gallery/long-await...s-returns-2018
I can only think of one (theatrical) sequel that beats it: Fantasia 2000, released 59 years after the original. If we expand the definition to include non-theatrical media, then you have Bambi II, released 64 years after the original.

Last edited by GetTheeToABrewery; October 6th, 2016 at 12:50 PM.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 06:21 PM #62
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Meryl Streep is apparently going to be playing a character named Topsy, who is a cousin of Mary's. If she signs on, this will be the second musical picture she's done with Rob Marshall, Marc Platt and Emily Blunt after working with them in Into the Woods. She and Blunt also did The Devil Wears Prada together.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/me...ve-1201825001/
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 01:58 AM #63
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

Meryl Streep
Why don't we just give the best picture nomination now?
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 08:38 AM #64
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Primo Ron White wrote: View Post

Why don't we just give the best picture nomination now?
Streep: "Servant boy! Put this gold statue with all the others."
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 01:42 PM #65
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

There are plans to get Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke to appear, although Ms Andrew;s reps say there haven't been any discussions, as of yet.

http://www.eonline.com/news/779743/s...rss_topstories
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2016, 02:03 PM #66
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert Bert
Old August 4th, 2016, 02:53 PM #67
> japinthegap
Power Ranger

japinthegap
Power Ranger

Meryl Streep is apparently going to be playing a character named Topsy, who is a cousin of Mary's. If she signs on, this will be the second musical picture she's done with Rob Marshall, Marc Platt and Emily Blunt after working with them in Into the Woods. She and Blunt also did The Devil Wears Prada together.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/me...ve-1201825001/
This would be amazing. I cannot get enough of Streep and Blunt together. Their dynamic in Into the Woods was so fun.
japinthegap is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 11:23 AM #68
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote on his Instagram that the songs are fantastic. This is assuring since it's almost impossible to touch the magic of what the Sherman brothers did.

“Allow me to give you the scoop 2 years early,” he wrote, “the songs are BRILLIANT. I’m so thrilled to get to sing ‘em.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/07...s-disney-tunes
Old August 7th, 2016, 12:25 PM #69
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

If there's anyone's musical taste I trust, especially for showtunes, it's him.
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:22 PM #70
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Ben Whishaw, best known for playing Q in the Bond series, is in negotiations to play grown-up Michael Banks.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...in-mary-919543
Old August 27th, 2016, 09:45 AM #71
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Emily Blunt says that her portrayal of the character will be much closer to the P.L. Travers' original series than the version Julie Andrews played in the film.

“I feel a little more trepidation with this [character] because she’s so emblematic of people’s nostalgia,” Blunt says. “It’s such an important character in people’s childhood.”

While Andrews’ version of the magical nanny was sweet but firm, Blunt says her Mary Poppins will be slightly different * closer to the character from P.L. Travers’ original series. “We’re delving into the books a lot more,” she explains, “which is a different version of the character, I’ll say that much.” When she’s reminded that book Poppins is slightly tougher than fans of the 1964 film might expect, Blunt gives a coy smile: “She’s a little meaner, yeah.”
She also shared the reaction Julie Andrews had when she learned the news that Blunt had been cast in the role.

Blunt hadn’t yet spoken to Andrews when she sat down with EW in early August, but Mary Poppins Returns director Rob Marshall had * and he relayed the experience to her. “Rob said he was in the Hamptons, and he saw [Andrews], and he said, ‘It’s top secret, but Emily Blunt’s playing Mary Poppins,’” Blunt recalls. “And she went, ‘Oh, wonderful!’”

“I felt like I wanted to cry,” she says. “It was lovely to get her stamp of approval. That took the edge off it, for sure.”
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/27...eturns-casting
Old September 4th, 2016, 07:14 AM #72
> Rangerfan9000
Power Ranger

Rangerfan9000
Power Ranger

Apparently Dick Van Dyke says he hasn't been told anything yet but is skeptical about the film worrying how it'll turn out as a sequel considering how they usually are compared to the first one and how they do tend to fall short sometimes but he wishes them well.

http://www.contactmusic.net/dick-van...sequel_5365493

However now that's been followed up with a talk from Al Roker saying he sat down with Van Dyke and Roker has said Van Dyke will appear in a cameo in the film.

http://www.contactmusic.net/dick-van...sequel_5365493

So whatever one is right who knows I guess more information will come but if they can find some way for him and Andrews to appear it would be a nice appearance whether or not it will turn out good like he said who knows we'll just have to wait and see. The fact it isn't an outright remake of the original film shows they know well enough not to remake the classic film rather continue it.

http://wpoc.iheart.com/onair/st-pier...medium=twitter
Rangerfan9000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 01:28 PM #73
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

Rangerfan9000 wrote: View Post

However now that's been followed up with a talk from Al Roker saying he sat down with Van Dyke and Roker has said Van Dyke will appear in a cameo in the film.
What the hell is going on in journalism these days? Polar opposite conflicting reports really shouldn't be happening.

And no matter what, it's always going to be both a remake and a sequel, simply because it has the same brand name, and people need to acknowledge that. However, that doesn't mean it can't bring something new and unique to the table, which is the only reason why people tend to dislike remakes and sequels in the first place.
Old September 4th, 2016, 02:39 PM #74
> CobraMorphBT20
its all about Emmalina

CobraMorphBT20
its all about Emmalina

Did Disney finally find a way around her estate out of spite or something?
What exactly was her problem with the first movie anyway? I havent seen it in 20+ years, but I remember it being awesome, & a classic. Part of the reason I dont want to see it is to save my childhood nostalgia.

Was it because the disney execs were pricks? They are mostly dead, or just gone, & Disney to day is NOT the same disney back then.

The movie was great, the fans want it, who cares what she said a lifetime ago. If Disney wanted to be money grabbing cunts, they could adapt any other super-powered child caretaker franchise & just make that into a Mary Poppins ripoff. Hell, bad knobs & broom sticks comes to mind. Its been so long, & MP isnt a huge franchise & most kids today will probly think its just a ripoff of Harry Potter.

& I think her estate seeing the movie was inducted into that National film registry, which is just as much a credit to Disney, than to just the author.

On the other hand, remake/boots almost always suck. & most movies nowadays just suck or lack anything of interest. Total Recall, Evil Dead, both are remakes I like, & still TBH couldnt give two shits if they continued or not. Compared to the Oz great & Powerful from 2013 that was just bad. Rarely do you get a Mad Max 4
CobraMorphBT20 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 02:50 PM #75
> kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

CobraMorphBT20 wrote: View Post

What exactly was her problem with the first movie anyway? I havent seen it in 20+ years, but I remember it being awesome, & a classic. Part of the reason I dont want to see it is to save my childhood nostalgia.
Bedknobs and Broomsticks will be confused because it revolves around learning magic from a "wizarding school".

Did you read the books? I read the first one. While there's a magic element to it, the book Mary Poppins was hard nosed and the only one capable of handling these gifts; the kids are constantly given bad reminders why they can't enjoy the same gifts.

I can see where Walt saw the magic and emphasized that with an upbeat, dance filled story. I see the same thing in Song of the South, yet some have been offended by the simplistic retelling of slave stories, disregarding its history. Same goes for every Disney-fied fairy tale every since.
kibapower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 03:25 AM #76
> Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

CobraMorphBT20 wrote: View Post

What exactly was her problem with the first movie anyway?
From what I've read, the entire movie was "wrong" in Travers's eyes.

She hated the animated sequences. Her biggest fear was that Mary would be a cartoon. Julie Andrews was too pretty, and she felt Mary should have been more plain looking. The Banks family were too well-off finacially. And so-on and so-on.

She watched the premeiere of the movie sobbing the entire time. The experience was so damaging to her, that she refused to work with anyone in Hollywood ever again. Only agreeing to the stage musicial rights under the provision that "No Americans" be involved in the creative process.
Mr Tuesday II is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 06:02 PM #77
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Mr Tuesday II wrote: View Post

From what I've read, the entire movie was "wrong" in Travers's eyes.

She hated the animated sequences. Her biggest fear was that Mary would be a cartoon. Julie Andrews was too pretty, and she felt Mary should have been more plain looking. The Banks family were too well-off finacially. And so-on and so-on.

She watched the premeiere of the movie sobbing the entire time. The experience was so damaging to her, that she refused to work with anyone in Hollywood ever again. Only agreeing to the stage musicial rights under the provision that "No Americans" be involved in the creative process.
Been a long time since I watched it, but didn't Mr. Banks lose his job at the end of the movie? The family probably wasn't going to be too well off for much longer if that was the case.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 07:40 PM #78
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Mr. Banks was fired, but during the ending with the kites, the younger Mr. Dawes rehires him as a junior partner.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 04:30 AM #79
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Been a long time since I watched it, but didn't Mr. Banks lose his job at the end of the movie? The family probably wasn't going to be too well off for much longer if that was the case.
Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

Mr. Banks was fired, but during the ending with the kites, the younger Mr. Dawes rehires him as a junior partner.
Specifically, when the board called Mr Banks in to fire him, Mr Banks told them the joke about the man with the wooden leg. After he left, the elder Mr Dawes started laughing, and, just like Uncle Albert, floating up towards the ceiling. Which leads to "Lets Go Fly a Kite".

GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 02:22 PM #80
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

I seriously need to pick that movie up on DVD. I haven't seen it since like, the 90's.

Of course, I'd really love to see this version of the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T5_0AGdFic
BobbyDrake2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote