Home Menu

Menu

Old January 5th, 2019, 09:26 PM #1501
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Alitain wrote: View Post

Sorry, keep forgetting this is suppose to be just at Hogwarts pre-bathrooms, but still they'd be walking through the halls defecating. Just is completely absurd. And if this supposedly happened at Hogwarts DOES this mean the rest of the wizarding world at that time did the same thing? Or, for some nonsensical reason, did Hogwarts just somehow not accept the concept but the rest of the WW had bathrooms and chamber pots and stuff? So like the kids would leave their homes with some kind of bathroom system in place, to come to this amazing school of magic...only to find people dropping their loads whenever they felt like it. Yeah...makes complete sense.
That's the real weird part though. Even if its just that hogwarts only adapted to plumbing after muggles, it means these kids and staff just wandered around in their own waste at school but then what did they do at home? If they didn't do it at home too, wouldn't there have been some kind of adoption of the home wizarding world's bathroom equivalent? So that means all these wizard generations spent their formative school years pooping like horses, and then what, just relearned a new system at home and in the wizarding world outside that wasn't viable for Hogwarts to adopt?

Also, indoor plumbing is fairly new and even when it took off in cities, rural areas were still struggling to get working plumbing in their communities late into the 20th century even in England. How long after muggles took to plumbing did Hogwarts adopt it? Would the bathroom ghost have even had a bathroom to die in? Those paintings and ghosts at hogwarts all watched children poop the floors for centuries then, too.

Does running water just blow wizard minds?
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 09:29 PM #1502
> wizard
VIP Robot in Disguise

wizard
VIP Robot in Disguise

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Does running water just blow wizard minds?
You have no idea... ITS LIKE MAGIC!!
wizard is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 09:38 PM #1503
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

This just popped in my mind. So does this explain why Filch is a complete prick that he has to deal with all their shit?
christopherjohn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 10:02 PM #1504
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Filch's first week at Hogwarts

Dumbledore: It's Friday, time to empty the poop tank.
Filch: I'm a squib ... maybe you could ...
Dumbledore: Say no more, "Accio bucket!", there you go.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old January 5th, 2019, 10:20 PM #1505
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

This just popped in my mind.
I read that too quickly, and you can guess which word I misread.

But don't worry, wizards apparently know how to make that vanish!
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2019, 02:05 PM #1506
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

It's the implication wizards would just roam around defecating like horses. A little drop here, magic away, move on. Not say find a chamber pot, use an out house, even come up with some magically advanced variation of the toilet to begin with. Just drop and go. Like I would find the idea wizards invented the concept of the toilet by using a magic infused chamber pot or some kind of seat that disintegrated the waste away and muggles adopted it from them more feasible in this world they've built. The way it's said here means wizards didn't grasp the basic concept of going in the corner that even potty training children learn. Does that mean wizards were never really potty trained before either?

This bit of information makes the wizarding world's logistics, which are already shaky just to make the basic muggle stuff seem strange to them, just fall apart into a spiral of what if scenarios.
On the other hand, if you already use magic for plumbing, why on Earth would you revert to an inferior system? I mean, if they can magic up flames from their wands, why would they use Zippos?
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2019, 03:47 PM #1507
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

On the other hand, if you already use magic for plumbing, why on Earth would you revert to an inferior system? I mean, if they can magic up flames from their wands, why would they use Zippos?
Well just cause you can, doesn't necessarily mean it's always the most effective. Case in point your example of using lighters. You have a handy means of creating a little flame right there that you can carry with you wherever. It isn't dependent on your magical strength, nor on having your wand. If you get disarmed, wand busted, or are just plain exhausted but need a fire...well there ya go.

So for plumbing, while sure they can set spells to work without needing someone constantly there, I imagine it would at least need some kind of constant watch. Like lets say all the bathrooms were magical. So you'd need to magic in water for at least washing up, even if the toilets were just magical vanishing bowls that didn't require water to flush. Then, again just speculating, it'd have to either me magicked away from existence or transported to somewhere. Even if you had that set to run on its own, probably needs upkeep. And with all the other magic going around that school, likely easier to have something mundane but also totally effective. You don't really need to worry again magical upkeep, interfering with other magic, any of that.

But yeah, I'd say it comes down to just cause you can doesn't mean you should or be the most effective. They install the plumbing, probably have house elves that can keep it running unless there's a big problem one of the teachers is needed to quickly magic away or something, and then it just runs on its own and can be left without much if any thought. But who knows.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2019, 04:51 PM #1508
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

Well I put it to you that had they not adopted muggle-style plumbing, Voldemort would never had risen to power and people wouldn’t have died.

Think about THAT.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2019, 05:01 PM #1509
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Well I put it to you that had they not adopted muggle-style plumbing, Voldemort would never had risen to power and people wouldn’t have died.

Think about THAT.
Cause of the Chamber? There would've just been a different way to enter it, the chamber was already there, there had to be access before the wash basin was constructed.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2019, 05:07 PM #1510
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

So Voldemort won so many old wizarding families into his side ... by appealing to their desire to shit on the ground, whenever they felt like it, as opposed to muggle ideas of plumbing (and sanitation)?

Figures.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 06:07 AM #1511
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Think about THAT.
Well, Voldermort doesn't have a nose so he wouldn't have to deal with the unpleasant smell that probably comes along with the old system.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old January 9th, 2019, 07:33 AM #1512
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

SephStuff wrote: View Post

The only reason it's come up is that it basically became a plot hole in Chamber of Secrets. Instead of just explaining that wizards invented plumbing thousands of years ago, JK decided that Hogwarts was retrofitted at a similar time to when Muggles in Britain were fitting out plumbing.

I hope this explanation features prominently in the next movie, talking about excrement would probably be an improvement on the last one.
You would still think they would have had a more... magical?... solution than squatting in the middle of the hallway and vanishing it. Although I could totally see Dumbledore doing this.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 01:45 PM #1513
> MMPRGreen
DragonZord

MMPRGreen
DragonZord

Peter wrote: View Post

So Voldemort won so many old wizarding families into his side ... by appealing to their desire to shit on the ground, whenever they felt like it, as opposed to muggle ideas of plumbing (and sanitation)?

Figures.
Nothing would put it past him, any dirty trick pun intended

I thought the WW invented the indoor plumbing for some reason and had it for decades before the muggles
MMPRGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 05:16 PM #1514
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Well, Voldermort doesn't have a nose so he wouldn't have to deal with the unpleasant smell that probably comes along with the old system.
That was only with his new body. Original Voldemort would've had the same reaction to stench as everyone else.

MMPRGreen wrote: View Post

Nothing would put it past him, any dirty trick pun intended

I thought the WW invented the indoor plumbing for some reason and had it for decades before the muggles
That would've been the more sensible idea. However this is Harry Potter so 'sense' goes out the window.
Long Time Newbie is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:03 PM #1515
> SephStuff
Power Ranger

SephStuff
Power Ranger

And really they wouldn't have had to have "invented" it outright - Ancient Romans had fairly well developed sewerage and water management systems - I don't think Wizards being able to take those ideas a step further
SephStuff is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:51 AM #1516
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Daniel Radcliffe said that he wouldn't at all be surprised if the franchise has a reboot in the future.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/02/13/dan...potter-reboot/

Also, he's very glad to know that he's been a huge part of some many people's childhood.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/02/15/har...iel-radcliffe/
ranger_scout is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:08 PM #1517
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

Daniel Radcliffe said that he wouldn't at all be surprised if the franchise has a reboot in the future.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/02/13/dan...potter-reboot/
Would anyone?

It's a billion-dollar franchise, they ALL get rebooted at some point.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:13 PM #1518
> AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

AkaGreenPrimo wrote: View Post

Would anyone?

It's a billion-dollar franchise, they ALL get rebooted at some point.
What if they take the younger and edgier route? We'll be getting Hogwarts Babies vs Angsty Teen Voldemort.

But I honestly hope we don't get a reboot anytime soon, though I wouldn't mind more original stuff set in that world. Ideally I'd love more novels, but more movies work too.
AkaBunnyUnicorn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:21 PM #1519
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaBunny wrote: View Post

I wouldn't mind more original stuff set in that world.
I'm not sure, what I'm getting from fans is that Fantastic Beasts has already worn out its welcome before the trilogy is even complete. Though, that could have all to do with them forcing in prequel elements when it was just fine starting out as its own thing...
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 01:46 PM #1520
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

I don't see a Harry Potter reboot working for several reasons. Just off the top of my head:

- Unless they lock the main actors down for eight movies at once, there are no guarantees that anyone will return for future films. I mean what if the new Ron jumps ship after the third or fourth movie? What if new Harry gets busted for drunk driving or gets hooked on drugs to the point where they have to either postpose movies or replace him outright?

- They got lightning in a bottle for the original films, there's little chance of recapturing the same magic, especially with all the prequel elements and JK continually dropping new tidbits (like the toilet thing). You just know that the writers are going to force in virtually everything that's come out since the last film wrapped, from Dumbledore being gay to the toilet issue.

- The fans aren't going to take this lightly. The purists are going to want things that weren't included from the books, and then throw fits when other things are omitted. Then you run into the fanbase that want the newer elements added, and the ones who don't want to see Dumbledore's sexuality being addressed. Then there will be ones demanding the old cast make a cameo, even if having Rupert Grint showing up as a random extra would be too distracting.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote