Home Menu

Menu

Old January 11th, 2019, 03:33 PM #4701
> RCerdeira
Power Ranger

RCerdeira
Power Ranger

hannibaLUCIO wrote: View Post

I don't remember this episode What was it?
Episode 35.
RCerdeira is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:14 PM #4702
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Ataruman wrote: View Post

I don't mind when Sentai gets topical. The franchise has always been topical; heck it talked about environmental destruction at least in the early 80s, maybe earlier. But the Vega Baby episode of Liveman is basically the worst of it: basically trying to talk about the sanctity of 'life' when we have an episode where one of their brand new members gets his first focus episode being about getting pregnant by a MotW, forced to go through with said pregnancy (despite the thing in him being obviously forced in rape which, even in abortion terms, could be considered legitimately a reason to have one), then basically has the stupid thing die mere minutes after "having" the thing. And all this due to protecting "life".

It tries to do a story about body horror and it just becomes the season at it's worse, being hypocritical and basically saying they have to protect anything and everything, especially with how, even in political terms, it matters in the womb but not outside said womb. It's why it's just a hard watch for me...and I know whenever timegold is around, he'd agree.
Oh I'm around, I just think some topics can be discussed only so many times before they're traumatic. If I wanted to see a story about rape, I'd watch Law & Order: SVU, because then, at least the victims would have a chance of justice and closure, and the topic would be handled with dignity.

But since I'm now in a Liveman mood...

Here's one thing that people usually don't address: just what is up with their story role in Gaoranger vs Super Sentai? In the series proper, they occasionally visit two gravesides on a cliff. In the movie, Yusuke was standing at the same cliff, with four gravesides, saying a line about "two friends, and two who should have been".

Did... they really bury two murder victims alongside two of their murderers?

Have they no shame? Can they not respect the memories of the two who were actually their friends, instead tainting it with the people who killed them, because the other ones "should have been" friends? Are they living in such a delusion about their little social cliques that they ignore the tragedies and the subsequent pain? Worse yet, apparently standing on the graves is a huge crime, while there's no problem with Kemp and Mazenda lying there.

These are the heroes sworn to life but can't protect life, and now they can't protect the sanctity of death.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 11:17 PM #4703
> Ryoutarou
Dot

Ryoutarou
Dot

I think that goes hand in hand with the idea that they value all life and want to protect it all. They maybe saw that everything had the potential to be a positive influence on the world and thus, even when they're gone, they remember those people as the people they were before they were super evil - still kind of jerks but like he said "two who would have been".

At least that's always been my read of the situation. I don't 100% agree with it because, yeah, killing those friends and then, no matter what redemption you go through, burying them next to their victims is pretty messed up.
Ryoutarou is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:46 AM #4704
> hannibaLUCIO
Kyoryu GAY

eBay
hannibaLUCIO
Kyoryu GAY

eBay

timegold wrote: View Post

Oh I'm around, I just think some topics can be discussed only so many times before they're traumatic. If I wanted to see a story about rape, I'd watch Law & Order: SVU, because then, at least the victims would have a chance of justice and closure, and the topic would be handled with dignity.
Well, impregnating someone with a beam is not exactly rape, there was no physical contact. Of course Green Sai didn't agreed in getting pregnant, but still it's not rape rape.

timegold wrote: View Post

But since I'm now in a Liveman mood...

Here's one thing that people usually don't address: just what is up with their story role in Gaoranger vs Super Sentai? In the series proper, they occasionally visit two gravesides on a cliff. In the movie, Yusuke was standing at the same cliff, with four gravesides, saying a line about "two friends, and two who should have been".

Did... they really bury two murder victims alongside two of their murderers?

Have they no shame? Can they not respect the memories of the two who were actually their friends, instead tainting it with the people who killed them, because the other ones "should have been" friends? Are they living in such a delusion about their little social cliques that they ignore the tragedies and the subsequent pain? Worse yet, apparently standing on the graves is a huge crime, while there's no problem with Kemp and Mazenda lying there.

These are the heroes sworn to life but can't protect life, and now they can't protect the sanctity of death.
Ooh, I forgot this!
And I remember cringely well that Jetman scene in which Ryu is with Kaori (she's crazly in love with him) and he thought that the nicest way to friendzone her is in front of his "late" girlfriend Rie's grave... And he's incredibly surprised by Kaori's reaction?? Ryu is the worst.
Old Sentai Reds had really embarrassing moments with graves, apparently.
hannibaLUCIO is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:57 AM #4705
> Merlin
The Burning Flame Element

Merlin
The Burning Flame Element

I agree putting the graves together is strange. Maybe they could have been spaced a few feet apart. But this was kiddie show Liveman, where all lives matter including rocks, so putting them adjacent doesn't really surprise me.

It says something that even in Gokaiger, Jou sums up the series from a perspective of failure. Decades after the conflict is over, they still carry guilt about failing their friends. Jou when into science teaching first to prevent young people from going down the same path. He doesn't mention that he did it to instill a love of science in youth. He's based his life's calling around his survivor's guilt. That's pretty dark.
Merlin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 07:53 AM #4706
> tremor3258
Power Ranger

tremor3258
Power Ranger

Considering even if they had gotten over the anger, the fighting for a year over the betrayal leaving marks on the Livemen for decades feels realistic and sad for the effects of trauma.

Though you wish people who had saved the planet would be afforded peace, evil doesn't always allow it.

Lighter, I love sentai. You can have a discussion about warriors who have dedicated the peace they earned to ensuring no one has their pain... who spent the time fighting living in a really big mechanical tortoise.
tremor3258 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:27 AM #4707
> Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

I think even with Liveman's problems, it speaks to me that they were able to handle darker and more interesting elements in the franchise back then, particularly in a period where you had less gimmicks to deal with and most of the characters on both sides were actors and not just rubber suits. (it can still work but obviously I think the rubber suit thing feels less about Toei being cheap and more about having costumes if Power Rangers needed them for their interpretation)

As for Kemp and Mazenda: the two of them probably did have enough redemption in the team's eyes to deserve being buried alongside the friends they murdered...even if one turned herself into a robot and the other was literally a brain in a jar when he had his revelation (combined with that whole bizarre "live his life over" scheme where he may have learned said lesson from Megumi in the first place).
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:35 AM #4708
> hannibaLUCIO
Kyoryu GAY

eBay
hannibaLUCIO
Kyoryu GAY

eBay

I don't know, I think Go-Busters is dark at least as Liveman and way less inconsistent and more focused. Personally, Go-Busters is in my top 3 and Liveman in my bottom 8
hannibaLUCIO is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:59 AM #4709
> Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

Eh, for me Go-Busters is a series I like but can't say I love. I'm not quite a fan of some of the sudden adjustments made once we get past the Gavan-crossover into the Messiah Cards; sure there are interesting things but it tries a bit too hard to pick up it's levity. (not over the top ridiculous like Kyoryuger after it, but still enough that it prevents me from enjoying the last third as much outside some of the interesting stuff near the end with Enter and Escape)
Old January 13th, 2019, 11:38 AM #4710
> The Golden Witch
I bid you Adieu

The Golden Witch
I bid you Adieu

Here's a very quick update to the Denziman subs. Exciting news!
The Golden Witch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2019, 12:08 PM #4711
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

The Golden Witch wrote: View Post

You're both awesome people. Thank you for subbing Denziman.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM #4712
> tremor3258
Power Ranger

tremor3258
Power Ranger

Nearly through Timeranger - living up to its reputation very well. Gien's backstory, when given, puts so much in place and really makes the guy responsible for the most dangerous plans tragic.

Though I'm going to say if the idea of Time Fire as a sort of foil to Tatsuya and Timerangers in general, I felt Eric was better integrated for that then Naoto.
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM #4713
> Superanger
It's time to change

Superanger
It's time to change

AkaGreen wrote: View Post

I finished Timeranger today, and it's probably up there with my favorite Sentai shows.

I went into it expecting something almost exactly like Time Force, and parts of it were, but it did feel like a different show. Both are good for different reasons.
Time Force and Time Ranger follow some plot points (after all the footage demands it) however, they're pretty much different in terms of execution and the dynamic of the characters.

Wild Force was the Power Rangers series that practically just translated the Sentai (Gaoranger) script. Sometimes even using similar wording and camera shots. They even translated an episode from a previous sentai.
Superanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM #4714
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Superanger wrote: View Post

Wild Force was the Power Rangers series that practically just translated the Sentai (Gaoranger) script. Sometimes even using similar wording and camera shots. They even translated an episode from a previous sentai.
I remember that. I was watching Gingaman and thought one of the episodes felt really familiar, and it was a plot Wild Force ended up using.
AkaGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM #4715
> Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

Ataruman
The Brains of Jashinka

I think I went over it with someone earlier or in another thread, but Wild Force isn't that much of a clone of Gao. There are a lot of similar elements and unfortunately parts they shouldn't have cloned as much with (Fuutaro/Kite), but the differences are significant enough to experience and appreciate both for the good and bad.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old Today, 06:22 AM #4716
> tremor3258
Power Ranger

tremor3258
Power Ranger

Compared to most other Power Rangers, Wild Force shares a lot with the source material for plot elements in individual episodes and the overall arc. I would say it as close as Shinkenger and Samurai.

Tags
a 40 year toy commercial, debating over spandex, destroyallchildren, liveman why have you?, nokidsallowed, thebestsentaithread, theoptimalsentaithread, xistheobjectlygoodsentai