Menu

Old March 1st, 2017, 02:09 AM #41
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

The 2nd Evil wrote: View Post

Fall Of The Phantom/Clash Of The Megazords

I will forever cherish these episodes for giving what I think is Power Rangers' funniest moment:

Space Base is being pulled towards Earth by the giant magnet beam, Porto calls on Metal Mangler... who is immediately pulled out of the Space Base, taking Divatox's laser with it.
I was amazed they used a monster costume that hadn't debuted yet.

That was perfect timing for a kitbash of an old monster or one that wasn't planned for use in the American production.

Only real questionable aspect, is not really against the episodes themselves, because I can't recall, did Havoc ever return, even in In Space? Seemed like kind of a missed opportunity to not just write the character out via destruction right there and then. But on the other hand, his final line was "Ingrate" muttered under his breath, which I jut find very amusing.
It was kind of a trend to have people directly related to the bad guys not be destroyed.

Just look at how needless it was to have Gasket and Archerina survive one episode from the end of the season.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:32 AM #42
> Cammy
This cage demeans us both

Cammy

Another moment from "Fall of the Phantom" that I found interesting wwas it was Mr. Caplan's only moment (that I recall) where he actually has a serious principal moment and isn't yelling 'deeeetention!!"
Cammy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:45 AM #43
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Cammy wrote: View Post

Another moment from "Fall of the Phantom" that I found interesting wwas it was Mr. Caplan's only moment (that I recall) where he actually has a serious principal moment and isn't yelling 'deeeetention!!"
There has been only one other, or a few others.

Right now, I only remember the one from "Teamwork", where he may have scolded the teens for the hallway being messy with all of the papers on the floor, but he didn't give anyone detention.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 09:59 AM #44
> Cammy

Cammy

Yeah, I understand. But this was getting Cassie on the right track rather than chewing someone out because they did something wrong. "The Mutiny" doesn't count.
Cammy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 07:23 PM #45
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil

The Robot Ranger

I get the need after a pretty heavy four episode story arc to have a filler episode. Just find it odd they decided to do a filler episode that, instead of the typical lighthearted whimsy was full of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers style paranoia.

This is an odd one. The Divatox and monster battle stuff just didn't mesh at all with the robot stuff, resulting in an episode that seemed to be made of two parallel plot lines that never really intersected, the way A-Plots and B-Plots typically do.

Overall Grade: C+

This episode was not bad at all, however, it was pretty disjointed, and I'm not sure the episode really needed two different monsters and Zord battles, as neither were around long enough to really leave much of an impression.

Beware The Third Wish/The Gardner Of Evil

I think these episode marked the first real moment of really evident character growth for Bulk and Skull when they willingly gave the wishing coin to the Power Rangers. It was a nice moment for them, and it was nice for me to go an episode without thinking that they were better off as chimps.

Although, the Gardner Of Evil half makes me think that perhaps that scatological humor present in Ninja Steel's Drive To Survive wasn't exactly forced on the show by Nickelodeon like some had theorized.

I'm glad these episodes wrapped up the issue with Justin's dad. All that's important is his dad got a new job in Angel Grove, and we can all move on from the fact that we really have no idea just who it was Justin was under the guardianship of, and all that pesky social services stuff.

Overall Grade: B

I liked how this two parter was more loosely connected than others. I mean, nowadays, it probably wouldn't even have been considered a two parter at all.

For my metaphorical money, Beware The Third Wish was the stronger of the the two episodes, but both helped to make an enjoyable overall story.
The 2nd Evil is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 01:59 AM #46
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

The Robot Ranger

This episode was not bad at all, however, it was pretty disjointed, and I'm not sure the episode really needed two different monsters and Zord battles, as neither were around long enough to really leave much of an impression.
Welcome to footage burning.

Beware The Third Wish/The Gardner Of Evil

I think these episode marked the first real moment of really evident character growth for Bulk and Skull when they willingly gave the wishing coin to the Power Rangers. It was a nice moment for them, and it was nice for me to go an episode without thinking that they were better off as chimps.
Wait, when would there have been a point where their being chased by evil space aliens wouldn't have made them want to give the wishing coin to the Power Rangers?

We're talking about the same guys who saved them from Scatterbrain and freed them from Gasket's arena.
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:02 AM #47
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

It's been a long time since I've seen either of those seasons, but weren't those two instances completely coincidental that it ended up helping the Power Rangers?
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:05 AM #48
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

It's been a long time since I've seen either of those seasons, but weren't those two instances completely coincidental that it ended up helping the Power Rangers?
They purposefully helped with Scatterbrain.
Kaigan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:43 AM #49
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Oh?

Well, I stand corrected, then. Perhaps I should give it a re-watch. Doubt it will be for a review thread, but maybe.
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:22 PM #50
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Fire In Your Tank

Best thing I can say about the Bulk and Skull subplot is I got a kick out of them reading Beetleborgs comic books. Unfortunately, that was the only enjoyable moment of that plot.

Divatox holding auditions for a monster is just such a great concept, I wish more time was spent on that. There's just something about Divatox being so in need of MOTWs, that he holds an open cattle call that.

The Power Rangers were also in this episode. Yeah, it's weird, but they were pretty much only there the facilitate the Booster fuel being stolen to give Divatox a flying car and power up Torch Tiger, and then to fight and destroy him.

Overall Grade: B-

This was not a bad episode, at all. In fact, it was real fun, just because of how bonkers it was with everything that was going on in it, but all the craziness within prevented it from really coming together in a meaningful way. This was clearly a whole is less than the sum of its parts, episode.
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:35 PM #51
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Fire In Your Tank

Best thing I can say about the Bulk and Skull subplot is I got a kick out of them reading Beetleborgs comic books. Unfortunately, that was the only enjoyable moment of that plot.
I kind of loved how, in their continuing search for both careers and plot relevance, Bulk and Skull become forest rangers ... and literally within half an hour, half of Angel Grove Forest burns to the ground. It technically wasn't their fault, but still.

It makes me think that Bulk and Skull getting tickets on Terra Venture (with, essentially, one-way tickets off planet Earth) may not have been accidental or just down to good luck.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:52 PM #52
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

Fire In Your Tank

Divatox holding auditions for a monster is just such a great concept, I wish more time was spent on that. There's just something about Divatox being so in need of MOTWs, that he holds an open cattle call that.
...That what?

But yeah, this was disjointed as hell. Torch Tiger became a complete afterthought quick.
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:25 PM #53
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Oh, yeah, I should probably finish this at some point, shouldnít I?

The Turn Of The Wretched Wrench

Not a bad episode to come back to after *checks dates* roughly 1 year and 10 months...

This episode was a fairly formulaic one, but I donít think thatís a bad thing. Ashleyís difficulty in the auto shop class was shown throughout the episode and resolved when she was able to repair Storm Blaster.

Iím not entirely sure thatís how you fix a Carburetor, but hey, Iím not a mechanic, what do I know?

On the villain side... I think this is where the episode struggled. Maniac Mechanic only showed up because the periscope needed fixing, only for Divatox to hire him to create a War Wagon, because we need a MOTW to deal with.

And speaking of Maniac Mechanic, Iím not sure if I should award or deduct points for his human disguise looking like the American Equivalent of Colin Bakerís version of The Doctor from Doctor Who.

I rather feel like Iím underselling this, because I did enjoy the episode. It did just enough right that the stuff it didnít stands out more than it would have otherwise.

And shoutout to Mr. Decker, who is a contender for the greatest teacher to ever show up at Angel Grove High by allowing Ashley to come to figure out the answer that he knew she knew by herself after only a slight nudge in the right direction, and acknowledging that she was struggling and offering her to do extra time after school to help her improve.
Old January 11th, 2019, 04:24 PM #54
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

Holy hell! *chokes on dust*

The Turn Of The Wretched Wrench

On the villain side... I think this is where the episode struggled. Maniac Mechanic only showed up because the periscope needed fixing, only for Divatox to hire him to create a War Wagon, because we need a MOTW to deal with.
What's wrong with that? She didn't know the guy, saw his skills, became inspired to destroy the Power Rangers.
Old February 16th, 2019, 12:06 PM #55
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Spirit Of The Woods

This has always been one of my favorite episodes of Turbo, and am happy to see that it still holds up.

One thing I've noticed from the past two episodes is that the episodes seem to be focused entirely on the the character the story is about, and the rest of the cast are pretty much non existent. I'm going to assume they will filming multiple episodes at once and just spread out the cast because of that.

The Bulk and Skull stuff in this one was less of a subplot, and more of a few interludes. Strictly speaking, this episode didn't really even have any subplots, it was all focused on TJ and his dealings with Erutan, and Lord Litter. Closest to on we came was Divatox wanting to capture Erutan in order to harness his nature powers for destruction, but it didn't seem like she was really aware of his true nature, so it would have been fun to see her try.

Overall Grade: A

Fun Fact: This was actually based on an episode of MegaRanger. I remember liking this version better.

Erutan was both a precursor to, and in some ways a friendlier version on Wild Force's Kite. I think Kite ended up becoming a really interesting recurring character, while Erutan was good for a one shot character. Makes me wonder if there are spirits of nature all around the PRU.

I'm going to try to do these with more regularity. I've just been dealing with some personal stuff, but I think I'm starting to turn things around with that, so hopefully it won't take me long to go through the rest of Turbo, because it's been what, two years? Yeah, this has been going on long enough.
Old February 17th, 2019, 06:09 AM #56
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

Spirit Of The Woods

One thing I've noticed from the past two episodes is that the episodes seem to be focused entirely on the the character the story is about, and the rest of the cast are pretty much non existent. I'm going to assume they will filming multiple episodes at once and just spread out the cast because of that.
Those are my FAVORITE stretches of Power Rangers episodes.
Old March 2nd, 2019, 03:54 PM #57
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Letís put this series to bed, shall we?

The Song Of Confusion

Itís Divatoxís most dastardly plan yet: Ear Worms!

This one was just fun. It moved at a very brisk pace, didnít take itself super seriously, and it was good to see Cassie realize that something wasnít quite right with the how people were getting mesmerized by the song.

Probably the biggest issue I had with the episode was that the Civilian plot felt somewhat disjointed from Ranger plot, as Crash And the Creeps really didnít have any real stated plan or goal other than have a hit song. There really wasnít much of a reason for them to even be out in their monster forms to spark the first fight with the Power Rangers at all.

Also found it odd that The Creeps were fighting with duplicates of the Power Rangers weapons, and that was completely uncommented on in the episode, itself.

Overall Grade: A-

Like I said before, this episode was just plain fun. And any noticeable grievances didnít detract from the overall enjoyment from watching the episode.

The Accident

Okay, right off the bat I like that thereís mention of a consequence of Carlos being a Power Ranger. He sometimes misses Soccer practice because of his duties as a Power Ranger. Itís rather surprising that itís still Soccer season, but Power Rangers has always played it fast and loose with the timeline of the seasons.

Another thing that I really liked in this one was that Carlos was talking to people about how he was feeling guilty over Owenís injury. The coach gave him some real good advice that accidents happen, but you canít let that consume you. It even kinda got a call back after Elgar pulled the Robo Racer in front of the Megazordís blast, but nothing really came of it after one line.

This was a great character focus episode for Carlos who just had to react and deal with the situation in the way he thought was best. Just a really well done episode.

Cassieís Best Friend

Considering this episode aired in 1997, all the multiple dogs seen in this episode are going to be long dead.

Iím sad, now.

This episodeÖ yeah, this episode was a thing. I mean, it wasnít bad, I guess. JustÖ more of a fever dream than anything else.

I really donít know what else to say about this one. Cassieís dog gets turned into a human, and they have a quasi-romanticized thing over the few hours he is human. Itís all very weird.

Between the aforementioned quasi-romanticized thing, and the monster wanting to cover Cassie in goo, a Freudian psychologist would have a field day with this one.

The Curve Ball

Two episodes after it being Soccer Season, it is suddenly Baseball Season. I know I said they played fast and loose with the timeline, but this is kind of ridiculous.

Heath is an interesting one-shot character. He was kind of a hypercompetitive jerk, but not so much so that he realizes what a jerk he had been after TJ saved him from his Darwin Award Winning performance with that impromptu bike race that almost had him careening off a cliff.

So, in that sense, he was a more likeable version of Riley from Dino Charge. Yeah, thatís right, I said it.

Also, there was a Baseball monster.

Overall Grade: B

I didnít like this one nearly as much as I remembered liking it in the past. I found myself caring far more about TJís civilian plot than I did the Power Rangers plot. But as an old school MMPR ďthe monster is a personification of the Rangersí issuesĒ monster, he did his job well.

Carlos and The Count

Hey, Mr. Kaplanís alive!

It was rather amusing to see Divatox complaining about Vampire Movies considering how much more prevalent they have become in pop culture in the years since.

I liked how quickly Justin figured out what was going on with Carlos. Count Nocturn ended up being a much more formidable foe than I remember him being. They busted out a new Megazord formation just to beat him.

Overall Grade: B+

I think the focus of the episode was a little disjointed. At first it mainly followed Carlos, then switched to Justin, then switched back to Carlos. But it was a fun time, nonetheless.

Little Strong Man

I think the craziest thing about this episode is how the ant bite that gave Justin super strength? Completely unrelated to anything Divatox was doing. What the hell is going on in Angel Grove where an ant bite gives super strength, and why isnít anyone concerned about this?

I do like how Justin was showing off with his super strength. Heís 12. Heís going to do something like that, and it makes sense why he would, and why he would want to join a sports team in the first place.

Overall Grade: B+

This was essentially ďWhat if Spider-Man, but an ant?Ē Which is coincidentally the same premise of a Danish comic book turned movie series Antboy. There are three movies. I have the first two, and all three are on Netflix, last I was aware. They are super cheesy, and I highly recommend them.

Anyway, the point I was going for is Justin even had his great power, great responsibility moment with him choosing to give up his super strength in order to continue being a Power Ranger.

The Rival Rangers

Oh. This was bad.

Ashley was downright horrid in this one. Saying that Cassie is known for flaking out? And only doing so in order to get a date? Not to mention intentionally getting her wet by park sprinklers and then laughing about it. At least the Zord battle was entertaining.

Overall Grade: D

This very disappointing. Thereís been some escalation on Divatoxís part by using Zords of her own as of late, so hopefully things pick up from here for a strong finish.

Parts And Parcel

Okay, this was a lot better. I loved how quick TJ was to defend Bulk and Skull from the accusations of stealing the packages, even going on a few stakeouts with them to help prove their innocence, and when it called for it, having a very public Power Rangers appearance to help clear their names when they were going to be arrested.

This is why TJ is one of my all time favorite Power Rangers.

This was just a great episode. A fun mystery and some good action, both unmorphed and in Zord battles.

Chase Into Space

Wow did this series end stronger than it began. These two episodes were simply outstanding. Tons of great action, strong character moments, and a real satisfying end to Justinís time on the show, all while setting up for the future in Power Rangers In Space.

Overall Grade: A+

Well, the Power Rangers may be blasting off into space, but thatís not the next series Iím going to be covering. Actually, the next one Iím going to be covering isnít even what I was originally planning on doing, but things have changed and made me change my mind. Youíll see what I mean soon enough.

Iím not going to do a Final Thoughts on this because itís been two years since I started this and have forgotten most of what happened. Thank you very much, personal issues. Plus, like most of the showís earlier years, it was very Monster Of The Week-y, with not real overarching plot line. That changed with In Space and is a change I heartily approve of.

All right, Iíve been rambling on long enough. ĎTill next time.
Old March 2nd, 2019, 04:54 PM #58
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

Way to fulfill a commitment, man. No wonder you're certified.

The Song Of Confusion

Also found it odd that The Creeps were fighting with duplicates of the Power Rangers weapons, and that was completely uncommented on in the episode, itself.
When I learned Carranger called them the Zokuranger, I was like "PR ignored that entirely?!"

The Accident

The coach gave him some real good advice that accidents happen, but you canít let that consume you. It even kinda got a call back after Elgar pulled the Robo Racer in front of the Megazordís blast, but nothing really came of it after one line.
I was always annoyed by how canned "oh no i hurt another friend" came out.

Cassieís Best Friend

Considering this episode aired in 1997, all the multiple dogs seen in this episode are going to be long dead.
So are Manahan and Genelle.

Everything has its time...

I really donít know what else to say about this one. Cassieís dog gets turned into a human, and they have a quasi-romanticized thing over the few hours he is human. Itís all very weird.
I really don't know how the writers arrived on that idea.

By the time Jetson lied, I was thinking "He didn't tell her he changed? This isn't going to be about Cassie convincing him he needs to stay a dog and he rebels before getting hit with the goo again while saving her life and changing back to normal?"

The Curve Ball

Two episodes after it being Soccer Season, it is suddenly Baseball Season. I know I said they played fast and loose with the timeline, but this is kind of ridiculous.
Was that the actual school team, though? I noted in rewatches over the years that they never wear Tigers uniforms, nor were any coaches present.

Carlos and The Count

Hey, Mr. Kaplanís alive!
We tend to say that seriously nowadays.

I liked how quickly Justin figured out what was going on with Carlos. Count Nocturn ended up being a much more formidable foe than I remember him being. They busted out a new Megazord formation just to beat him.
Yeah, the idea that his psychic power was so strong, coupled with that mallet disabling Zords to FORCE that new combination to happen, he was a trip.

Little Strong Man

I think the craziest thing about this episode is how the ant bite that gave Justin super strength? Completely unrelated to anything Divatox was doing. What the hell is going on in Angel Grove where an ant bite gives super strength, and why isnít anyone concerned about this?
It's never even referenced how it happened. Turbo powers reacting to biological inflammation would be the assumption, but for all we know the ant was magic.

The Rival Rangers

Not to mention intentionally getting her wet by park sprinklers and then laughing about it.
At least she didn't aim them at Cassie's shorts and act like something else happened.

Parts And Parcel

I loved how quick TJ was to defend Bulk and Skull from the accusations of stealing the packages, even going on a few stakeouts with them to help prove their innocence, and when it called for it, having a very public Power Rangers appearance to help clear their names when they were going to be arrested.
My favorite part was I expected some "The Joke's on Blue" rando to be behind it, so actually involving Divatox was a welcome decision.

Chase Into Space

Wow did this series end stronger than it began. These two episodes were simply outstanding. Tons of great action, strong character moments, and a real satisfying end to Justinís time on the show, all while setting up for the future in Power Rangers In Space.
Still my favorite finale.

Countdown's lollipops resolution worked in the moment, but not upon rewatches.
Old March 2nd, 2019, 05:19 PM #59
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

Chase into Space dealt with loss, making difficult decisions in the face of adversity, and never losing hope even in your darkest hours.

Countdown to Destruction had a Zordon ex Machina
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2019, 06:24 PM #60
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Carlos and The Count

Hey, Mr. Kaplanís alive!
AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

We tend to say that seriously nowadays.
Where's AngieYaz when you need her?

Anyway, Principal Kaplan's last time on the show, and he gives Bulk and Skull detention when they've already graduated.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote