Home Menu

Menu

Old March 9th, 2019, 05:59 AM #41
> Arectaris Returned
Power Ranger

Arectaris Returned
Power Ranger

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

Hey JDF, stop trying to turn your daughter into the next you. NOBODY CARES!
This is demonstrably false.

I've never understood why this board, collectively, has a hate boner for JDF, but to the average Power Ranger fan (or those who haven't watched the show for years), JDF is "Power Rangers". He's arguably the most recognizable and favorite of all characters.

Whether you like it or not, and whether or not you feel it's self-serving, he does a ton of promoting for the show.
Arectaris Returned is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 9th, 2019, 06:01 AM #42
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

The Unworthy fanfilm already did a female MMPR Green Ranger so this is more following than leading
So did the 2017 movie!
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 06:07 AM #43
> thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

I'm actually really starting to hate those "Snakepit studios" suits.
How are they so popular?!
thunderzordpower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 9th, 2019, 06:19 AM #44
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Digifiend wrote: View Post

So did the 2017 movie!
That in a nutshell demonstrates just how 'memorable' that one ultimately was. I'd completely forgotten, and it was the main motivational character trait for Rita!
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 06:23 AM #45
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Arectaris Returned wrote: View Post

He's arguably the most recognizable and favorite of all characters.
And yet, the most recent episode where Tommy appeared scored the lowest ratings out of the entire Ninja Steel run.

So maybe he's not that well-loved?
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 06:29 AM #46
> laterdayz13
classic

laterdayz13
classic

I've never understood why this board, collectively, has a hate boner for JDF, but to the average Power Ranger fan (or those who haven't watched the show for years), JDF is "Power Rangers". He's arguably the most recognizable and favorite of all characters.

Whether you like it or not, and whether or not you feel it's self-serving, he does a ton of promoting for the show.
I agree! Itís super bizarre to me how worked up people get over him and what he is or isnít doing. Nostalgia is big so yeah, he has a big following. You donít have to like it but heís not doing anything to personally bother or attack you so why waste the energy being pissy about it? If Power Rangers helps pay his bills and Hasbro keeps him involved than ok, let the man work. Heís gonna be part of Power Rangers in some way or form for...well, forever. Should probably get used to it.
laterdayz13 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 06:29 AM #47
> AbareHunter
NACHO!

AbareHunter
NACHO!

Peter wrote: View Post

And yet, the most recent episode where Tommy appeared scored the lowest ratings out of the entire Ninja Steel run.

Speaking for myself, his prominence in the episode left me so livid that I stopped following JDF on social media for a good while. That episode really should have been a celebration of Power Rangers as a franchise, instead of more fuel for the Tommy fanwank fire.

Regardless of Kyle Higgins' fondness for the character, I tolerate Tommy's presence in the BOOM comics because, for all the good and ill it might entail, he is at least serving a purpose and helping to drive the narrative forward. Bear in mind, I read via the trades, so I'm not quite up to date on the story and where it stands now (I know the White Ranger is coming, but I've been doing my best to avoid specific details leading up to that point)

Last edited by AbareHunter; March 9th, 2019 at 07:27 AM.
AbareHunter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:02 AM #48
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

So the guys defending him are just going to ignore the fact he's a shit dad to his less marketable kids? Ok cool.
SonicBlueRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:09 AM #49
> laterdayz13
classic

laterdayz13
classic

SonicBlueRanger wrote: View Post

So the guys defending him are just going to ignore the fact he's a shit dad to his less marketable kids? Ok cool.
High horse much? You planning on calling the cops or swooping in to save the day? Unless heís beating them up or assaulting them in some other form its really none of our business about the nature of their relationship. My dad is a dick too but he still has every right to live his life.
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:10 AM #50
> Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

He's a shit dad. We don't know if his kids with his first wife are "marketable" or not. Its irrelevant anyway. Regardless of how his marriage to his first wife ended he should still be a father to those children. Not just the one he has with Tammie.
Mr.Karate is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:16 AM #51
> Arectaris Returned
Power Ranger

Arectaris Returned
Power Ranger

Peter wrote: View Post

You can't exactly judge his popularity based on the ratings of a single episode in which he cameo'd or guest starred. Like him or not, he's the "face" of Power Rangers. Everyone remembers Tommy, and either the Green Ranger or the White Ranger. Within Power Rangers, he's an iconic character. "Hardcore" fans may feel differently, but most people aren't "hardcore" fans and likely don't even realize the show is still on. Ask them about "Power Rangers", and they'll likely mention "Jason", "Tommy", "Rita" or "Zedd".

People around here act like JDF personally insulted/wronged them.

I, personally, don't understand that.

Like others have said, it isn't really relevant. We're not privy to his personal life so we don't know what kind of father he is or the dynamics of his relationship with his ex-wife or his children.
Arectaris Returned is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:24 AM #52
> Power PC!
Dames call it Dino Power

Power PC!
Dames call it Dino Power

I legit had no idea JDF had any children besides Jenna.
Power PC! is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:27 AM #53
> laterdayz13
classic

laterdayz13
classic

Power PC! wrote: View Post

I legit had no idea JDF had any children besides Jenna.
His son was the baby Aisha, Rocky and Adam saved in their first episode. Jacob I believe..
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:28 AM #54
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

laterdayz13 wrote: View Post

High horse much? You planning on calling the cops or swooping in to save the day? Unless heís beating them up or assaulting them in some other form its really none of our business about the nature of their relationship. My dad is a dick too but he still has every right to live his life.
I'm sorry but this is a hot button for me. If there's one thing that will forever make me hate someone it's them being a garbage parent.
SonicBlueRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:53 AM #55
> Brown Ranger
Que Boom!

Brown Ranger
Que Boom!

Dude's got such an ego.
Brown Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:55 AM #56
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

I have nothing against JDF, but i don't think he's daughter have enough experience like him the past.

Last edited by Sevenlima; March 9th, 2019 at 08:00 AM.
Sevenlima is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 08:02 AM #57
> OatandAboat
Kamen Ryda

OatandAboat
Kamen Ryda

Sevenlima wrote: View Post

I have nothing against JDF, but i don't think he's daughter have enough experience like him the past.
Not enough experience? Of what? Martial Arts?
OatandAboat is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 08:07 AM #58
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

OatandAboat wrote: View Post

Not enough experience? Of what? Martial Arts?
Yeah, exactly.
Sevenlima is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 08:17 AM #59
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

I don't think so, no PR fan cares if Jenna Rae Frank becomes the next red ranger or green ranger or whatever, the only interest these stories get is because they involve JDF but Jenna? If she's never involved in PR in any capacity do you think people will be disappointed? I highly doubt it.

Arguably yes (at least AJJ and ASJ are up there too). I'm not denying he's well known and I don't have a real problem with his character, I liked when he returned in DinoThunder, if Tommy is used well he can be an asset but the last times he returned he wasn't, both Legendary Battle and Dimensions in Danger suffered from the Tommy focus. The writing wasn't great and I doubt they would have been phenomenal episodes without Tommy but he hogged most of the glory to the detriment of the other returning rangers and his return did not set the roofs on fire, Dimensions in Danger could be described as a wet fart looking at the ratings, so it didn't even do the show any good.

When was the last time he promoted the show? He promotes himself and that's it, when he promotes the show it's only as an extension of his self promotion. There's nothing wrong with that of course, he has zero obligation or incentive to promote a show he's not part of so that's not a criticism. I'm just not sitting here pretending he's doing great things for PR when that's simply not true.

His ego seems to have grown quite a bit over the years and I'm not sure it's deserved. His initial popularity was because he happened to fill fhe right suit, the green ranger had a an awesome suit, zord, footage, story, song etc., the same would have been true with anyone else playing the part, it wasn't JDF's acting that elevated the character, he became popular by circumstances, then he glt licky he wasn't moved to Cybertron and stayed when half the cast left which put even more focus on Tommy.
I think admitting that and showing some humility would be great for him instead of this "Fuck yeah, I'm awesome" attitude.

Last edited by Salted Pepper; March 9th, 2019 at 08:33 AM.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 09:16 AM #60
> JCP05
Urban Ranger

JCP05
Urban Ranger

What next Lady Drakkon???
JCP05 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote