Home Menu

Menu

Old May 17th, 2019, 06:06 PM #261
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Mr.Karate wrote: View Post

They should take a look at the Wonder Woman properties [both the Lynda Carter series and the Gal Gadot movie] there was none of that "Look a Female Superhero!! Isn't she great!!" stuff [and God willing the Gal Gadot sequel won't have this] Wonder Woman was a Superhero. That was it.
Like... there is an entire section in the movie about Wonder Woman being shunned by men in WWI London for not acting lady like and being treated as a secretary. And really Wonder Woman by name (and her legacy) is already pushing that female angle forward. They don't mention it because this specific superhero doesn't require it and just exudes the female angle from iconography alone.

You have Batwoman who is absolutely going to be seeing blow back because she's a female Batman regardless of how they framed this trailer. She's slipping into a spot that has never been occupied by a woman on such a large scale. Is that going to result in some clunkers of dialogue? Absolutely, but that's the problem of taking such myopic looks at lines of dialogue in a trailer. You're going to zero in on these lines like they matter when you absolutely no they're not. You know they're trailer fodder, but it's going to color your perception of the show because you intended it to from the beginning.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 07:05 PM #262
> TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

Well, it looks like the trailer made a lot of people rage.
TheLastBlade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 09:26 PM #263
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

This is my problem with this, Capt. Marvel, GB 2016 and the current Star Wars trilogy. They're all trying to act like they're the first one to do a Female Protagonist [even though its been done plenty of times before] so they're acting like they're breaking a mythical glass ceiling that's long been broken.
And yet the stigma remains.

We're going to keep being reminded until we stop the dismissive behavior. A billion female protagonists mean nothing if we still disrespect women in real life.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:13 PM #264
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

And yet the stigma remains.

We're going to keep being reminded until we stop the dismissive behavior. A billion female protagonists mean nothing if we still disrespect women in real life.
There are always going to be douchebags no matter what. I think most us of us at least try to be respectful.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 11:31 PM #265
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

There are always going to be douchebags no matter what. I think most us of us at least try to be respectful.
You'd think that, and then the pay gap gets exposed in every conceivable field of employment.

#TimesUp doesn't exist for no reason.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:01 PM #266
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Saw the trailer... doesnít look all that impressive just makes me think of another typical cw dc show.

I agree that the dialogue was pretty bad. I donít even think the trailer itself sets it up well.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:13 PM #267
> chronoxiong
Digital Artist

chronoxiong
Digital Artist

Yikes at the amount of dislikes for the trailer. I dont know what to make of the trailer to be honest. Some corny dialogue. A lot of emphasis on girl power too.
chronoxiong is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:20 PM #268
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Maybe itís our toku heritage but I just realized that the Batman suit is just the batwoman suit with a stomach/crotch piece added.

It wouldnít be bad if it werenít for the lady lumps. Iíve seen better kitbashes

Last edited by Allio; May 18th, 2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old May 18th, 2019, 05:57 PM #269
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

Allio wrote: View Post

It wouldnít be bad if it werenít for the lady lumps
My Bat-humps
My Bat-humps
My Bat-humps
My Bat-humps
My Bat-humps
My Bat-humps
My Bat-humps
My Bat-humps
My lovely Bat-lady lumps
Check it out
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:20 PM #270
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Alitain wrote: View Post

Don't really see why there's all the hate for the trailer, it's fine. I mean aside from a couple 'men suck, women rule' jabs, I thought it was fine. I'm not jumping out of my seat for it, but yeah I'll still check it out and hope it's entertaining. Also hope they don't copy Charmed with the man-hating. Though I will say they could've plunked Curtis from Arrow in Luke's role and it looks like you'd have the same character...
Charmed in its later years had the problem that the male characters were often more likable (well, less dislikeable, usually) than the lead cast, at the very least since they could often ham it up or otherwise exaggerate they were more entertaining. Meanwhile the sisters had been running on 'Saving the world is such a drag' for about 5 seasons by then and it had more than got old.

I don't remember any attempts to boost the sisters' popularity by messing up the men though other than perhaps benching Leo in the final series, but while that did give Piper some much needed motivation I thought the main reason was that the actor was busy doing something else?

Batwoman shouldn't have that particular likeability problem nearly as badly however because if nothing else as a costumed persona she could exaggerate things too.

shoujoaifan01 wrote: View Post

Yeah, as much as I am legitimately looking forward to this, and while the "girls rule, boys drool" kinda of lines are 99.928836% probably in jest, they are so dumb that the 90s called, they DONT want those lines, their one liners were better.
'Boys drool', really? I expect Kate to be all 'girls rule' but comics-Kate at least never seemed to think about men enough to bother slagging them off. I mean, the only one she seemed to interact with on anything resembling an ongoing basis was her father. Most of the other men she meets are all the thugs she's stopping, and in that case the taunting is justified (remember, when taunting you don't go with what you believe, you go with what will infuriate your target the most).

Luckily the trailer didn't really give me that impression.

FerrousMaelstrom wrote: View Post

I feel like people are rather overstating the feminist lines. There aren't that many, and this is only one trailer. I'll give it a change once it's actually out (radical position, I know).
It seems the sanist position to me. I like speculating, but not writing something off solely on the back of it.

Its still stupid and cringe worthy.

This is my problem with this, Capt. Marvel, GB 2016 and the current Star Wars trilogy. They're all trying to act like they're the first one to do a Female Protagonist [even though its been done plenty of times before] so they're acting like they're breaking a mythical glass ceiling that's long been broken.
GB 2016? The only thing I can think of with those initials right now is Go Busters and even if I didn't think that was wrong already I think was a different year.

And Star Wars? Nothing in the promotion made me think they were pushing having a female 'lead' as a big thing. It was marketed as 'Look at how awesome our new character is, we hope you like her' (the 'awesomeness' part was also an issue with the full films so 'Yay!' for accurate adverts I guess) but that's not the same thing.

Xenotome wrote: View Post

You have Batwoman who is absolutely going to be seeing blow back because she's a female Batman regardless of how they framed this trailer. She's slipping into a spot that has never been occupied by a woman on such a large scale. Is that going to result in some clunkers of dialogue? Absolutely, but that's the problem of taking such myopic looks at lines of dialogue in a trailer. You're going to zero in on these lines like they matter when you absolutely no they're not. You know they're trailer fodder, but it's going to color your perception of the show because you intended it to from the beginning.
That is true at least, Batwoman will always be seen as a knock off Batman and they are going to have to deal with that as best they can. For a hopefully humorous example of this someone I spoke to the other day was rather surprised to find out she had her wedding cancelled before they even thought of doing that with Bruce because to him is was almost inconceivable that Kate could be ahead of him in anything. But at least he knew Bruce and Kate were different characters (Kate and Barbara on the other hand not so much), there are going to a lot of people going into Batwoman who have never heard that name before.

Last edited by Long Time Newbie; May 20th, 2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Missed a bit.
Long Time Newbie is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:39 PM #271
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Long Time Newbie wrote: View Post

Charmed in its later years had the problem that the male characters were often more likable (well, less dislikeable, usually) than the lead cast, at the very least since they could often ham it up or otherwise exaggerate they were more entertaining. Meanwhile the sisters had been running on 'Saving the world is such a drag' for about 5 seasons by then and it had more than got old.

I don't remember any attempts to boost the sisters' popularity by messing up the men though other than perhaps benching Leo in the final series, but while that did give Piper some much needed motivation I thought the main reason was that the actor was busy doing something else?
Guess I could've been more clear, I meant the current Charmed series, not the original.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:59 PM #272
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Guess I could've been more clear, I meant the current Charmed series, not the original.
Ah, I forgot that was a thing. I always meant to check it out and always forgot. Is it really that bad?
Old May 20th, 2019, 06:47 PM #273
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Long Time Newbie wrote: View Post

Ah, I forgot that was a thing. I always meant to check it out and always forgot. Is it really that bad?
It's not bad exactly, just has some faults. Check it out sometime. The season just ended, no doubt it'll show up on Netflix or something.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 04:47 AM #274
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

Also by GB i think they meant Ghostbusters, so close to GoBusters but not exactly, lol
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 05:00 AM #275
> red-thunder
Power Ranger

red-thunder
Power Ranger

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

You'd think that, and then the pay gap gets exposed in every conceivable field of employment.

#TimesUp doesn't exist for no reason.
red-thunder is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 21st, 2019, 05:47 AM #276
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

What a waste of a post.
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 06:12 AM #277
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

He's not wrong, though. And I doubt this is the place to discuss that.
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 21st, 2019, 06:33 AM #278
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

What a waste of a post.
harsh man. It isn't your place to judge what is or isn't a "waste of a post."
Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:16 PM #279
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

It's not bad exactly, just has some faults. Check it out sometime. The season just ended, no doubt it'll show up on Netflix or something.
Ah good. For all its many flaws I liked the old one.

AtoMan wrote: View Post

Also by GB i think they meant Ghostbusters, so close to GoBusters but not exactly, lol
That would make more sense.