Home Menu

Menu

Old March 25th, 2013, 02:55 PM #41
> dragonzordpower123
You have failed this city

dragonzordpower123

jaguarranger wrote: View Post

Holy shit, I never knew Saban owned Fox Kids!
Power ranger aired on that channel for a long time... and so did the other shows he owned.

Or am I just not picking up sarcasm.
dragonzordpower123 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM #42
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner

jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner

I am aware that Power Rangers and other Saban shows aired on Fox Kids. But a show airing on a network doesn't mean the creator of the show owns it.
jaguarranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:08 PM #43
> dragonzordpower123

dragonzordpower123

I am aware that Power Rangers and other Saban shows aired on Fox Kids. But a show airing on a network doesn't mean the creator of the show owns it.
No, but the shows aired on the station were all owned by Saban.

No big deal really, the station only did really well when PR was on. He sold it to disney to keep his money.
dragonzordpower123 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:30 PM #44
> Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

He very much did. He & Rupert Murdoch each owned 50% of the channel.

He actually sold it to make more money. It's the single biggest payout in media acquisition to a single person.
Xenotome is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:16 PM #45
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

Disney never wanted Power Rangers. They wanted Fox Kids, and Power Rangers was part of the deal. They made Wild Force because they thought it would make them money (I don't have a source for this, but I can almost assure you that Bandai prodded them to give PR a shot, hence the toy-centric mindset). Wild Force didn't make the kind of money they wanted for their investment in it, so they canceled the show. One week later, they were convinced to uncancel it when some of the creative team suggested they move production to New Zealand, which was considerably cheaper.
They made Wild Force because pre-production had already started (the logo was designed before the buyout, hence why there's images on the net with "Saban's" on it) and therefore they were committed to international markets. Similar to why RPM was made.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM #46
> Alpha-9
Power Ranger

eBay
Alpha-9
Power Ranger

eBay

Gotta love International investors making Disney go ahead with RPM.
Alpha-9 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:33 PM #47
> Nerdboy
Yeah, I got nothin'

Nerdboy
Yeah, I got nothin'

Linkara just posted on Twitter that he's finished MF. The video is "coming this week, if all goes well."
Nerdboy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:53 PM #48
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

"Not really a Power Rangers season" huh? Curious as to what that'll mean come the video. Can't wait. Will really make my dull forced religious vacation more entertaining.

On a related note to the podcast, looks like his worries about the Goseiger-Gokaiger suits came true. But at least they're only a "mode". Would like to see what kind of excuse they'll pull out of their ass for using pirates though.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:56 PM #49
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil

Actually, I think that might be against the rules of the thread. Nevermind.

Last edited by The 2nd Evil; March 25th, 2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: .
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:58 PM #50
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Maybe it's because I haven't watched MF, but from what I did see it didn't feel all that different from what we got before. RPM, more serious gravitas aside, did a few different things. Won't say what for spoilers sake.

Then again, one could argue that SPD with the larger military organization was different for a PR season as well. Eh, I'll just wait till the vid.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:14 PM #51
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

So far, on the whole "it's not really Power Rangers", he mentioned something about how it feels more like LotR...and in his opinion, nothing at all like Harry Potter.

I will admit that MF did have this sense that it was on a pretty huge scale, and that there was a lot of other backstory and mythos to it in it's neck of the Morphing Grid...which, not surprisingly, they didn't delve into all that much.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:22 PM #52
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

So far, on the whole "it's not really Power Rangers", he mentioned something about how it feels more like LotR...
Now, there's a comparison I never thought I'd read.
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:31 PM #53
> Linkara
Power Ranger

Linkara
Power Ranger

The 2nd Evil wrote: View Post

Now, there's a comparison I never thought I'd read.
More in the sense that there was a lot of background mythology about a prior huge battle, lots of characters involved in that who have multiple names and identities, a quest near the end with Claire accompanying Udonna feeling very much like Sam following Frodo depsite the protests to the contrary.
Linkara is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:40 PM #54
> Twisted-Alien
Power Ranger

Twisted-Alien
Power Ranger

I got more of that from Wild Force to be honest. Mystic Force? Not as much.
Twisted-Alien is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:56 PM #55
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Linkara wrote: View Post

More in the sense that there was a lot of background mythology about a prior huge battle, lots of characters involved in that who have multiple names and identities, a quest near the end with Claire accompanying Udonna feeling very much like Sam following Frodo depsite the protests to the contrary.
*sigh of relief*

For a split-second, I was afraid that you were going to go a stereotypical "This is so awful, this isn't a real Power Rangers season at all!!" rant. I don't know why I was afraid of that, since it's not your style at all, especially considering that you've covered the defilement of long-running series multiple times on At4W without resorting to it.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:17 AM #56
> Linkara
Power Ranger

Linkara
Power Ranger

*sigh of relief*

For a split-second, I was afraid that you were going to go a stereotypical "This is so awful, this isn't a real Power Rangers season at all!!" rant. I don't know why I was afraid of that, since it's not your style at all, especially considering that you've covered the defilement of long-running series multiple times on At4W without resorting to it.
No, no, no. I do contend that the season isn't REALLY a Power Rangers season, but not because of anything like "it's just so awful!" or "It's a rip-off of so-and-so!" The problem I have is that the major storyline and the people it primarily affects, are NOT the Rangers - the Rangers are not the focus of the season. It doesn't make the season BAD, it just has the problem of pushing the people who are SUPPOSED to be the main characters aside. However, I should probably save my remarks for the actual video.
Linkara is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:21 AM #57
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Wow, ironic considering one of the common MF criticisms is its addiction to Nick-o-tine. Still, better save the meat for the vid so we'd be in for some surprises.

As for that criticism of "not a real" PR season, well, I've seen worse. I've seen criticisms that hate that succeeding seasons after MMPR do not take place in High School and star teenagers. Others still dislike how military organizations are involved, but the latter criticism has a lot more merit than the former.
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:58 AM #58
> Tokuman
Power Ranger

Tokuman
Power Ranger

There's a clear difference isn't there? I mean yeah Magiranger was influenced by Harry Potter, but Mystic Force tried to actually rip it off in some respects. Especially making Nick the boy who lived, and all that. Well at least they didn't turn N Ma into Voldemort.

But I could be wrong. I'm just giving my impression of how I viewed Mystic Force when I watched it back on Disney.

*sigh of relief*

Haha I know you're responding to Linkara, but there was ever one instance where I ever had a "this is so awful, this isn't a real season at all" moment. And that was with Kamen Rider Hibiki who to this day I still refuse to believe is a real Rider.

But I know at least for me I've never come to that conclusion with any power rangers season much less sentai and every other season of Rider.
Tokuman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:11 AM #59
> KiraLover
In The Business Of Misery

KiraLover
In The Business Of Misery

Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

Wow, ironic considering one of the common MF criticisms is its addiction to Nick-o-tine. Still, better save the meat for the vid so we'd be in for some surprises.
Plenty of people used to criticize Mystic Force for focusing more on secondary characters (Leelee, Phineas, and Claire) instead of developing the other rangers who were not named Nick. A lot of people liked the focus on Leelee and the others, which led to the question of why the hell are we following these rangers, when these other characters are far more interesting.
KiraLover is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:30 AM #60
> WatcherMark
Wubbalubbadubdub!

WatcherMark
Wubbalubbadubdub!

Here's the thing with Bruce Kalish's style of storytelling... he liked to focus on Red. If you look at the seasons he helmed while all on the show, each of them tells the story about the personal development of the Red Ranger. Jack turns from a thief into a contributing member of the community, Nick goes from an angry loner to become a person (who is only slightly less angry) who is comfortable having friends and a newly found family, Mack turns from wannabe adventurer to hero and Casey turns from unsure new recruit to confident Master.

While that's all very well for Red, it does have the unavoidable side-effect of pushing people aside. With the exception of Sky, name me any character from a Kalish season who underwent significant character development.
WatcherMark is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
a very defensive linkara, defensive everyone, don't ask, half assed era, he!!! is not a god, linkara mad, linkara smash!, megaforce > linkara, megaforce > samurai, megaforce vs overdrive, mystic force sucks too, neo neo neo neo neo zeo?, piss poor pronunciation, samurai is the worst, what the hell is a neo?