Home Menu

Menu

Old September 2nd, 2018, 07:25 AM #61
> blue&goldranger
Power Ranger

blue&goldranger
Power Ranger

I'm sad that Neo Saban Power Rangers lasted only 4 series. It is true that the Neo Saban era it didin't start out well with Samurai and reached new lows with Megaforce, however they got it right (or at least better) with DinoCharge. I cant talk about Ninja Steeel because i havent gotten to it yet (i watch pr eps online when i have the time). It seems that Saban just needed a little time to figure things out and just when it was getting good they decided to no longer be the stewards of the franchise. Despite the hiccups, Saban was always "home" and i can never forget the amount of neglect and abuse that Disney gave the franchise especially near the end. I hope Hasbro proves to be a worthy owner of this franchise and decides to elevate the level of the series rather than dumb it down even further or decide to exploit the brand name by not making an effort and just mailing it in. Then again this is a company that has a proven moneymaker in GI Joe and Transformers and has done absolutely nothing with those franchises in a long time. So although im hopeful, let's just say it wouldn't hurt to keep your fingers crossed.

What I would like to see from Power Rangers is a better writing level--less by the numbers formula eps. This is a kids' show so im not expecting Shakespeare, but you have to try at least. It is possible to have good writing and still have elements that appeal to kids. The Power Rangers franchise has been done well before. RPM comes to mind as a series that did well plotwise. I would also like to see less reliance on the Japanese toku PR is based on. The series deserves better than just cut and paste. We need the american series to have more uniquely original stories and elements--in otherwords be more independent. Also I dont know if this is possible after so long but instead of having a new team each season--how about we stick wirth the same group of kids for a while? Part of the reason why the MMPR-In Space portion of the franchise was so popular is because there was a ton of character development and the viewers grew attached to those characters. Bu that didn't happen overnight--it helped that we had the time necessary to get to know those characters through several series and watch them grow.
blue&goldranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 07:56 AM #62
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

blue&goldranger wrote: View Post

" and i can never forget the amount of neglect and abuse that Disney gave the franchise especially near the end
Did Disney really neglect and abuse the franchise as much as people said they did? I wasnít around for the Disney era so maybe it was mostly behind the scenes and there was definitely things they did I didnít like such as move Power Rangers to a subscription channel or shove it on a 5 am timeslot for RPM and Mighty Morphin Reruns Rangers. But they did advertise the show decently enough from
Ninja Storm-Mystic Force. I even remember seeing Mystic Force being advertised pretty frequently
on Disney Channel (despite not airing there because it didnít fit Disney Channelís then current brand image) they had Power Rangers toys at Disney stores and Power Rangers at the Disney theme parks.

part of the reason why the MMPR-In Space portion of the franchise was so popular is because there was a ton of character development and the viewers grew attached to those characters. Bu that didn't happen overnight--it helped that we had the time necessary to get to know those characters through several series and watch them grow.
Lol characters stuck around longer but there wasnít
character development in MMPR-In Space.

Bulk and Skull and maybe Astronema had character. development that was about it
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 08:00 AM #63
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

lso I dont know if this is possible after so long but instead of having a new team each season--how about we stick wirth the same group of kids for a while? Part of the reason why the MMPR-In Space portion of the franchise was so popular is because there was a ton of character development and the viewers grew attached to those characters. Bu that didn't happen overnight--it helped that we had the time necessary to get to know those characters through several series and watch them grow.
But the Rangers didn't grow...

They started out their time as goodie-goods and ended as goodie-goods. When you don't know how long you'll have these characters, it's hard to have character development. I'd rather have new teams every season.
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 08:51 AM #64
> Darkonda89
Power Ranger

Darkonda89
Power Ranger

Getting back to a movie idea, could the basic concept of Shattered Grid be adapted into a successful movie? I think for a PR movie to be successful it has to be able to appeal to long-time fans and a great way to do that is to include characters and story elements that they are familiar with. Shattered Grid sets itself up for that and it can be various characters from throughout the different seasons. It needs to be understandable to people who may not be as familiar with PR history as well so it can bring in new audiences, but I think that can be done. I would like to see the type of tone we saw in the 1995 movie (which was fairly successful) or some of the finales we saw in PRIS, PRLG, and PRTF. Those had a real sense of urgency because it felt like the world/universe and the lives of the rangers was at stake. The 2017 movie could be explained as taking place in another dimension, like we now know RPM and Dino Charge did. You could bring back a team of rangers from several different seasons and could bring back some former villains to make things interesting as well. Think of how interesting it would be to have past villains team up with Lord Drakkon or to see Karone, Ransik, or Rita & Zedd have to help the rangers.

If I were Hasbro, I would at least look into this idea and see if it could work because if it was done right it would be a big hit. They would have to somehow make the story focused which would be a little challenging, but I think it could be done. You could include different elements from 25 years worth of PR so that any current or previous fan would have something they could connect to in it, regardless of what season they grew up with.
Darkonda89 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 01:14 PM #65
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

I dont know if this is possible after so long but instead of having a new team each season--how about we stick wirth the same group of kids for a while? Part of the reason why the MMPR-In Space portion of the franchise was so popular is because there was a ton of character development and the viewers grew attached to those characters.
There really wasn't too much character development, though. Adam experienced the most and even he barely changed over three full years. Katherine's development pretty much blew most out of the water just from her scant appearances in MMPR alone, proving time has nothing to do with it, it's all in purposeful and meaningful writing.

Heck, proof that Power Rangers fans don't grow attached is the last four teams all appearing twice as long as the majority of teams, yet all seem more than ready to be rid of them once the next series finally rolls around. It's simply obsession with the past, something which cannot be recreated no matter how bad Saban Brands tried to.
hasbro_primo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 05:25 AM #66
> TyrannoDrakkon
Banned

TyrannoDrakkon
Banned

PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

Did Disney really neglect and abuse the franchise as much as people said they did?
Definitely not as much as Saban did after. Then people started to look at the Disney era in a new light. I definitely believe that we would've gotten much better Power Rangers movies under Disney than we would've with Saban/Lionsgate. Like sure, yes they wanted to end the whole main series with RPM and were rather "meh" about it but who's to say that they could've bought it back with movies and seasons when 90's nostalgia started to become trendy?

In 2009, Power Rangers was WELL out of steam and everybody knew it and that's why Disney wanted to shelve the franchise but then the primary audience after a few years got nostalgic.

In an alternate reality, we could've seen Power Ranger comics under Marvel potentially with crossovers with The Avengers or X-Men.
TyrannoDrakkon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 05:55 AM #67
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

TyrannoDrakkon wrote: View Post

Definitely not as much as Saban did after
Okay but thatís a line of crap.

Regardless of how bad the writing and creativity may be Saban has done well in marketing and promoting the brand. Especially during Samurai.

. Then people started to look at the Disney era in a new light
I need to stress Iím talking about regards to marketing, promotion, acknowledging the show exist
Old September 3rd, 2018, 09:22 AM #68
> Chiron723
Power Ranger

Chiron723
Power Ranger

I think the difference between Disney and Saban's handling of the Power Rangers franchise can be explained by this Simpsons clip.

Chiron723 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 09:46 AM #69
> Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Chiron723 wrote: View Post

I think the difference between Disney and Saban's handling of the Power Rangers franchise can be explained by this Simpsons clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RQ2h8-s9-c
But Saban was using their whole ass.
Mr Tuesday II is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 10:15 AM #70
> RiffRanger
Justice For No One

RiffRanger
Justice For No One

Disney negelected the show and actively tried to kill it a few times. However, they hired better people to make it. Thatís where people get confused. Disney, for the most part, had nothing to do with the production of the show beyond setting budgets and episode counts. They were terrible at scheduling and marketing the show and didnít care if it failed. They were just really good at hiring people who DID care and knew how to use the small budgets and episode counts Disney gave them. In the end, it was the people Disney hired that gave us a better product, not Disney themselves.
RiffRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 10:54 AM #71
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

The problem with the neverending evaluation is that people are constantly searching for a winner where there is none. Disney made a better show because they were far more experienced at making children's television shows. Saban Brands made better business moves because Power Rangers was all they truly had and they elevated it to the level where it always deserved to be.

Due credit and respect belongs to BOTH entities.
hasbro_primo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 10:59 AM #72
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

But... Disney... weren't more experienced at it? Disney had NEVER made a live action show like Power Rangers. They hired for the most part the Saban team to make the show for them. Saban filled their ranks with the same people who made it for them the first time. This narrative that they weren't experienced in making kids shows is a farce. It was literally Haim & Elie Dekel's bread and butter for decades.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 11:03 AM #73
> CalmXXCaliber
Monarch of the Forest

CalmXXCaliber
Monarch of the Forest

Xenotome wrote: View Post

But... Disney... weren't more experienced at it? Disney had NEVER made a live action show like Power Rangers. They hired for the most part the Saban team to make the show for them. Saban filled their ranks with the same people who made it for them the first time. This narrative that they weren't experienced in making kids shows is a farce. It was literally Haim & Elie Dekel's bread and butter for decades.
I can agree to some extent, however If we're going to assume that the only reason Disney made better shows was because they had the old Saban crew, then why do the Neo Saban seasons have so many problems if its a similar cast of characters behind the scenes?
CalmXXCaliber is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 11:17 AM #74
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

CalmXXCaliber wrote: View Post

I can agree to some extent, however If we're going to assume that the only reason Disney made better shows was because they had the old Saban crew, then why do the Neo Saban seasons have so many problems if its a similar cast of characters behind the scenes?
Oh because Saban is overbearing. That's completely divorced from anyone's "experience" making these types of shows.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 11:32 AM #75
> Poweranimals
Mastodon!

Poweranimals
Mastodon!

RiffRanger wrote: View Post

Disney negelected the show and actively tried to kill it a few times. However, they hired better people to make it. Thatís where people get confused. Disney, for the most part, had nothing to do with the production of the show beyond setting budgets and episode counts. They were terrible at scheduling and marketing the show and didnít care if it failed. They were just really good at hiring people who DID care and knew how to use the small budgets and episode counts Disney gave them. In the end, it was the people Disney hired that gave us a better product, not Disney themselves.
Oh they absolutely did care for a while at least. But they had a different vision for it than Toei did.
Poweranimals is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 11:58 AM #76
> Chiron723
Power Ranger

Chiron723
Power Ranger

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

Oh they absolutely did care for a while at least. But they had a different vision for it than Toei did.
Yeah, that vision was a little more animated than Toei liked.
Chiron723 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 01:04 PM #77
> Poweranimals
Mastodon!

Poweranimals
Mastodon!

Chiron723 wrote: View Post

Yeah, that vision was a little more animated than Toei liked.
Not just that. Disney wanted more control over the Sentai themes and footage. They even tried to convince them to allow Village Roadshow to film parts of the show in New Zealand.
Poweranimals is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 02:06 PM #78
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

Not just that. Disney wanted more control over the Sentai themes and footage. They even tried to convince them to allow Village Roadshow to film parts of the show in New Zealand.
Well shit. Bet Toei was glad at least to have Saban back
Old September 3rd, 2018, 02:18 PM #79
> Red Rock
Power Ranger

Red Rock
Power Ranger

Bring back the outtakes/bloopers at the end

I hope they put outtakes at end of the episodes again. I loved those.
Red Rock is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2018, 02:31 PM #80
> Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Red Rock wrote: View Post

I hope they put outtakes at end of the episodes again. I loved those.
No one would ever see them. The end credits are run over the last 30 sec of the episode. So no one would ever see any outtakes that the end credits would have.
Mr Tuesday II is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote