Home Menu

Menu

Old February 7th, 2012, 03:21 AM #41
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Looking up a synopsis of the first episode, it seems to be following a format similar to what Precure 5 did with all 5 getting their debut episodes each. Though it is silly given that we all know who will be who, it does allow for more character development.

And Go-onger did that, and Sailor Moon even before, so I don't think it'll be a hindrance.
Xalfrea is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:29 AM #42
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Boy, I feel like an idiot. Turns out that link posted on the 2nd page that has most, if not all, the Precure episodes is still working, and Smile Episode 1 is on there. Never really checked it out as I assumed it was a dead link.

Gonna watch soon, will give my thoughts later.
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:09 PM #43
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

OK, so Smile Precure episode 1. The first episode really made a good impression. Miyuki, in typical Precure fashion, is a total likeable klutz, and we can get hints of the other 4 characters in their brief intro, but this was all Miyuki's episode.

The concept of using Fairy Tales as the theme of this season can make for some good references abound, like in this one how they thought hiding behind a brick wall might scare off the Wolf enemy in reference to Three Little Pigs. Speaking of the Wolf character, he seems to be quickly becoming a fan favorite, and him being the only sane person in the last few minutes of craziness makes for a funny situation.

The art style as I noted before is reminiscent of Precure 5. But I think unlike Precure 5, this ones seems to be a lot more bright and colorful. With Precure 5 there was a sort of subdued feel to it, like how the show attempted to not make its colors pop out too much to keep it in style. With Smile though, it really is apparent, and I think I like that. Part of the enjoyment of watching Prety Cure is seeing all these crazy visuals in all this magical girl fighting action.

Next week is Akane's episode and her Precure debut. Looks like Smile will be the first Precure show I'll attempt to keep track of from start to end.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:39 PM #44
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Alright, time for a summary and my thoughts of Smile episode 2.

After we get some flashback exposition from the last episode (as well as our standard version OP), we see some bonding between Miyuki and Candy (Who is voiced by the same lady who does Pikachu and Chopper), and discover that the collectable Cure Decor double as food for Candy. Haven't seen something like that since the original Precure. Seems that while Candy says Miyuki needs to find the other 4, Miyuki's the only one that worries Candy because she's a total hyperactive klutz.

Following a brief segment where the enemy headquarters are shown, we see a volleyball game where the main 5 play together (Something not shown in any series before) with Nao and Reika on one team and Miyuki, Akane and Yaoyi on the other. Akane dominates with hilarious help from Miyuki and Yaoyi and wins the game (The last time we see Nao and Reika for this episode). After a post game get-together, Miyuki brashly out of the blue tells Akane and Yaoyi about become Precure before being tackled out of the way by Candy in a Looney Tunes-esque scene. Even without much of an explanation, Akane declines because she wants to focus on being an ace volleyball player (And that's the last time we see Yaoyi for this episode).

At another game, Akane fumbles and loses her edge, while Miyuki watches. After we see a scene where Akane practices, Miyuki misinterprets sweat as tears and comes crashing onto the scene. Miyuki thinks Akane is in doubt and in the dumps after her loss, but Akane just shrugs it off, deciding to accept help from Miyuki for practicing, something she normally doesn't do. Miyuki in return reminds her that one must keep smiling no matter how bleak a situation gets.

The next day, another game takes place where Miyuki watches Akane dominate once again. Suddenly, Wolfrun shows up remarking how Bad Energy is stronger from a more believable dream and drowns the game in bad energy, sucking the negative feelings to make the meter reviving the evil Emperor Pierrot turn up one notch (2 out of 22). As Akane and the rest of the players drown in their sorrows, Miyuki transforms into Cure Happy. Wolfrun then summons an Akanbe to create a giant Volleyball monster.

Miyuki, still not used to fighting, manages to put up a fight against the Volleyball monster and uses her Happy Shower attack...and misses. She tries again to find that she can only use it once, much to her's and Candy's dismay. When Akane looks over and finds Miyuki recalling her advice, she breaks from her stupor and discovers Miyuki is Cure Happy. After a monologue from Miyuki to Wolfrun of how friends are important and that happiness and smiles can multiply, Akane tries to save Miyuki, and in the process, receives her henshin device, meets Candy, and transforms in a fiery blaze into Cure Sunny.

After the usual lampshades of the clothes and her catchphrase, the Volleyball monster body slams into Miyuki and Akane...to find that Akane managed to stop it with super strength and tosses it away, and Akane finishes it off with her volleyball attack Sunny Fire, thus obtaining another Cure Decor.
--------------------------------
Episode 1 is of course the one that setups everything, so episode 2 makes it more to have a story with the characters, and this episode was Akane's episode. Once again it's similar to Precure 5, but of course this once changes things to be nearly entirely different. At first glance Akane may be similar to Rin, but aside from the color and the small sports connection, that's about it.

The teamwork dynamic is exemplified here, showing that the special attack of each can only be used once, thus needing to rely on each other. The fact that this is a 5 team allows it to be developed further as it takes multiple episodes to try and work out the kinks, as opposed to when there's a duo and all the stuff is laid out in the first episode.

We further see that the evil forces have a meter before they likely become threatening. Every time they unleash a monster attack, the 22 notch meter is filled. It's likely that after the 22nd episode, the evil forces will become more powerful.

To note of course is that the other 3 characters are barely in the episode for less than 5 minutes, but as similar to Precure 5, each episode will slowly involve more characters. Next week is Yaoyi's episode, with the first appearance of the other evil character, an ogre, and Yaoyi's debut as Cure Peace.
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:25 PM #45
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Smile Precure 3: Congratulations, your Pikachu evolved into Cure Peace!

After a recap and a brief exposition for the sake of the new Precure Akane, she and Miyuki find the shy Yaoyi drawing superheroes. Despite praise from the two and suggestions that she shows the class, she pulls a George McFly and says it'll be embarrassing if they don't like it.

At the enemy HQ, Wolfrun continues to brood about being defeat again, when the other enemy general, Red Ogre just finishes a club he's been working on and decides to try his hand at fighting the Precures, to Wolfrun's ire.

At school during class, Reika, as VP of the Student Council, relays that there's a need for an artist to beautify the school posters. When no one volunteers, Miyuki and Akane nominate Yaoyi. Later the latter questions why she was chosen, especially since she tells that there are others in the school who are good artists, intimidating Yaoyi, making it worse she has incredibly low self esteem and doesn't believe in herself. With encouragement and help from the Akane and Miyuki, a crying Yaoyi gets to work.

During a drawing session where Candy almost blows her cover, Akane arrives with Okonomiyaki, revealing that her family runs a shop specializing in that. During the next few days Yaoyi is hard at work, with Miyuki and Akane providing support, and unbeknownst to them, Reika observing them too. The poster completed, Yaoyi admits that she did want to do it from the beginning, but her shyness prevented her from doing so, and she cries fresh tears of happiness. The happiness gets the attention of Red Ogre, who vows to make it a Bad Ending.

The next morning, they find that among the posters submitted, Yaoyi's didn't place in the top 3 and was instead rewarded for best effort. While Miyuki and Akane assure Yaoyi that they still like it, the posse of one of the artists gloats like a sore winner. Yaoyi, in even lower spirits, takes the poster and runs away. Red Ogre, knowing the sadness will make the Bad Ending more powerful, confronts Yaoyi to gloat further. Activating the Bad Ending, the notch on the number meter increases again, sucking all the negativity from the surroundings as well as Yaoyi. Miyuki and Akane arrive, and when they find that an Akanbe was formed out of Yaoyi's drawing, they transform.

The fight doesn't start in the Precure's favor as they can't get an opening to attack, and Miyuki's and Akane's special attacks don't affect the monster because not enough energy was put into them. Despite their exhaustion they continue to fight and proclaim that transforming Yaoyi's poster is unforgivable, breaking Yaoyi out of her stupor. Watching the two shield her from attacks, Yaoyi gains confidence and shields the others from being finished off. Despite taunts from Red Ogre about being a weakling crybaby, she vows to protect them no matter one. This grants Yaoyi her henshin device, and she transforms into the hilariously cute Cure Peace, to Miyuki's delight and Akane's disbelief of her hero proclamation.

Still though, Yaoyi is scared out of her wits and attempts to run away crying. In her fear she manages to summon an electric discharge and attacks the Akanbe. Gaining confidence again, she uses her special attack and defeats the Akanbe, obtaining another cure decor, returning her poster to normal and causing Red Ogre to flee. Yaoyi then realizes that being a Precure means that with her friends, she can gain the courage to accomplish anything and be more confident. She, through fresh tears, happily becomes full friends with Miyuki and Akane, bringing the Precure count to 3.
--------------------------------
Episode 3 is Yaoyi's episode, and I gotta say, Yaoyi's gotta be one of the most unique characters to date, as she's the unconfident one with low self esteem. As far to my knowledge, there hasn't been a Precure protagonist with that personality yet. You can already tell that she will go through a hefty amount of character development throughout the show, and any episodes that will revolve around her will be hilarious.

Other things observed is the Okonomiyaki of Akane. In the OP of the show, this aspect is exemplified more as opposed to her volleyball. Makes me wish the last episode got an angle regarding Okonomiyaki instead of sports, so as to not make Akane a carbon copy of Rin from Precure 5. We also see that Miyuki and Akane still haven't gotten the kinks of their powers, completely expending their energy. This could be for the sake of plot convenience as I find that a little far-fetched, but if it'll be shown that once the full team is formed and they become a great fighting force, I'll let it slide.

Speaking of full team, once again, Nao and Reika barely factor into the episode. Heck, Nao gets only one line in the entire episode and is never seen again. This does make it jarring, but on the other hand this could be an angle they're trying to go with. In Precure 5, right from the get go, the team are already friends even before they become Precure, which leads to suspicion amongst them whenever they continuously run off and leave each other. Komachi and Karen, by Ep 4 of Precure 5, begin to suspect that Nozomi, Rin and Urara are up to something and they investigate.

In Smile, the team starts out as acquaintances, and only as the episodes progress does the gang of friends get bigger. By going with this angle, it makes it new and does differentiate it from Precure 5, something a lot of Smile detractors quickly like to point out. I like that Smile does manage to make itself different from Precure 5; it gives me enough curiosity to keep up with the show and see the differences.

One other thing I noticed, and I find funny, is how when Yaoyi transforms, Candy appears to hear and tells her she can use electric powers. Ironic, given that Candy's seiyuu is the voice of a very popular Electric type Pokemon.

Next week is Nao's episode and her debut as Cure March.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM #46
> Topgaler
occasionally exists

Topgaler
occasionally exists

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UT5WF1vXfk

I think I'll write a fanfic about this.
Topgaler is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:56 PM #47
> Toku Ranger
Live a Toku.

Toku Ranger
Live a Toku.

Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

snip
Quantum Wolf, it's Yayoi.
Toku Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:32 PM #48
> Astro Rider
Cyclone Joker

Astro Rider
Cyclone Joker

I can't believe how much i'm enjoying Smile precure. The visual design of the girls hero forms is just really cool. The girls themselves are really fun to watch. Sunny's the favorite so far but peace is so cute. That ending is really awesome the smoothness of the moves and the song is great as well.

I've tryed to get into suite and the first precure but no dice, just something about smile that works. Also as a precure newbie, do the monsters get anything more than 'akanbe' then attack?
Astro Rider is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:15 PM #49
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

It's Yayoi, not Yaoyi? Dammit!

I think what gets me on board this show is the characters and animation. Among the Precure series, 5/5 Go Go is my favorite, but Smile is quickly superseding it.

Like what was said before, the initial premise is similar, but story, characters and animation is different. From what we see so far the characters are not full on carbon copies of Precure 5 as they have different personalities and interests. But I think what makes it stand out is the animation. With Precure 5/5 Go Go, there was a sense of subdued animation, like yeah, it's flashy but it doesn't go out of the way to be totally wild with light shows and really dynamic and fast characters.

Smile on the other hand, has that. And that really adds to my liking of the show. Half the fun of Precure is seeing the interaction between characters, and the 3 characters we have so far have a good amount of chemistry between them. The animation is fast paced and the characters have a faster feel to them.
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:10 PM #50
> Taureneo
Yabba Dabba Bitch

Taureneo
Yabba Dabba Bitch

Astro Rider wrote: View Post

I've tryed to get into suite and the first precure but no dice, just something about smile that works. Also as a precure newbie, do the monsters get anything more than 'akanbe' then attack?
Suite and the first one are very much focused on the dynamics of a duo, so how much you'd enjoy it depends on how well you like the 2 main leads.

If you're asking whether they get more powerful forms for monsters, they usually do a little before the midway point. Its usually what leads to new team members or a new finisher.
Taureneo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:15 PM #51
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

I'm guessing that time will come by the 22nd episode, as each episode so far has had a number counter filling up to 22, and the apparent revival of some evil emperor.

Also, something I just noticed in the OP. Near the end, you can briefly see what looks like Super forms of the Smile's.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:51 PM #52
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Smile Precure 4: Nao The Sisters Fury

After the mandatory exposition flashback, we see at Miyuki at her house preparing for another "ultra happy" day. Candy, also wanting to be dolled up, asks Miyuki to utilized the recently acquired bunny decor to make her ears look like bunny ears. Her being late for school though cuts short her happy time. At the enemy HQ, Red Ogre finishes drying his pants, and leaves to wreak havoc again.

At school during lunch time, the 3 cures eat, with Yayoi revealing her lunch made to look like Candy. While the three and Candy happily eat, two senior girls come to boot them out of the spot they usually eat at, citing that as upperclassmen, they have a higher authority over the 3 cures. Before Akane makes a scene and Miyuki and Yayoi panic, Nao arrives to set things straight, citing that the schoolyard is for everybody, no matter what year or position, and being first doesn't matter. To drive things further, the School Council President comes, citing the two seniors to apologize and follow him instead. With the matter settled, Nao gives her regards and leaves to practice for a soccer game, while Reika once again watches the group bond.

At the game, the 3 cures watch Nao dominate. Akane and Yayoi say to Miyuki that Nao has been good since her first year and that she's a person who's direct to everybody she meets and is true to her feelings. Miyuki, Akane and Yayoi agree that she must become the 4th Precure. But before they can confront her, a swarm of students surround her and praise Nao for a game well played. Miyuki, throwing caution to the wind, tries screaming to Nao to become a Precure, but as the student swarm clears, they find that Nao already left for home, to Miyuki's hilarious dismay. At home she continues to mope all over her room, then decides the next day Saturday, she'll visit Nao's house.

Miyuki however ends up getting lost around the neighborhood, to Candy's annoyance. Before she panics, she bumps into Nao, carrying bags of groceries. Ever the drama queen Miyuki thanks Nao for bumping into her and helps her carry the heavy foodstuff to her house. Before Miyuki can even ask the question when they get there though, Nao's five siblings greet her. While Nao is preparing lunch and babysitting while her busy parents are out, Miyuki plays with the kids, rather wildly, chasing her all over the house and playing catch with Candy. Candy, having had enough of being tossed around, leaves to get Akane and Yayoi. As they all have fun, Red Ogre notices the happiness.

After lunch the 5 kids play soccer in a field while Miyuki and Nao watch. The former is amazed by Nao, who, as the eldest of the family, takes her familial duties and bonds very seriously, and taking time out to cook and care for them. When Akane and Yayoi arrive, they try to ask Nao again only to be caught up in a soccer game between Nao and her siblings. Before they can start though, Red Ogre arrives, activating a bad ending and sucking the negativity from Nao and the siblings in a stupor, all the while making the notch on the number meter increase again. Despite Yayoi's hesitance, she is given courage by Miyuki and Akane and they transform.

In a bit of randomness, when Yayoi did the "Rock Paper Scissors" pronouncement, a small game was done with Yayoi choosing Paper, and Red Orge choosing Rock, and Candy choosing Scissors, making her win and making Red Ogre lose. Miyuki remarks how interesting it is while Akane is still in disbelief. Forgetting about the matter, Red Ogre summons an Akanbe out of a nearby soccer goalpost. As the Goalpost Akanbe flies and shoots soccer balls at Nao and her siblings, Miyuki protects them with her special attack, but too late, the monster grabs Miyuki and entangles her in a net, using her a shield against Akane and Yayoi.

Despite Red Ogre giving the other two a chance to escape, Akane proclaims that though they only just became friends and their bonds are still not strong yet, they will get stronger and will stay. The talk of bonds manages to break Nao out of her stupor and discover the Precure's secret. Red Ogre continues to go on about bonds of friends and family eventually breaking apart in the end, and decides to go ahead and break them anyway. When the Akanbe goes for the siblings, Nao snaps and kicks a ball at the monster, swearing she won't let the eternal familial bonds break apart. This grants Nao her henshin device, and Nao transforms into Cure March.

While the 3 revel in finding another Precure, while Akane is remarking how Nao's proclamation is cooler than Yayoi's, and Nao is curiously examining her large, grown hair, the enraged Red Ogre goes back on the offensive. As the Akanbe continues to attack, Nao runs towards it in a burst of wind, going too fast and crashing into a nearby bridge pillar. Not shaken by the crash, Nao continues to run again, dodging all the soccer balls. At the cheering of Candy, Nao summons her special attack, March Shoot, as a soccer ball of wind and kicks it, destroying the Akanbe and obtaining another Cure Decor, Vowing vengeance, Red Ogre retreats. Later, as the siblings continue to play soccer, Nao joins the team, bringing the Precure count to 4 and making Miyuki "ultra happy", despite the soccer ball hitting her in the face.
----------------------------------------
Nao's episode was interesting. To bring back the Precure 5 comparison again, it seems that Nao has a lot more common with Rin rather than Akane does; Nao's the sporty one (Soccer, much like Rin), she has large bonds with her family (Again like Rin), and, according to her site bio and pre-release info, she apparently has little to no interesting in girlish pursuits. Nao as a character is good, she's the girl that is very much admired for her very outgoing traits and her energy. That energy is transferred when she fights, as she utilizes wind and is arguably the fastest of the group, as seen in the fight, and in the OP when she runs on the side of the building. Having two characters in a team that are sporty, as opposed to previous series with only one, again makes it different from others and gives Smile another unique aspect. Because it seems that a lot of Smile detractors seem to focus on the OP of the show to determine that this show is a recycled Precure 5 without delving into the episodes.

The rest of the episode pretty much has the same standard as the rest of them, though something to bring up is Reika. Only appearing in the episode for about two seconds, with zero lines. At this point I'm finding it a bit silly, but considering her episode is next week, it's all good. This episode also had a larger number of 4th wall jokes; Peace's proclamation having a variety, Akane commenting on Nao's cooler proclamation, and Nao's slight disbelief at her overgrown hair. 4th wall jokes like that are one of the reasons I like Precure, as from the very beginning with Futari Wa, its been one of the show's trademarks.

Next week is Reika's episode and her debut as Cure Beauty, along with who appears to be the 3rd evil general of the villains group.
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM #53
> Taureneo
Yabba Dabba Bitch

Taureneo
Yabba Dabba Bitch

I sincerely hope Beauty's ice sword is actually used as her main weapon and not simply there for aesthetic purposes. So far, none of them seem to have an actual weapon, just a once-per-fight attack.

I also find it amusing how none of their parents have been seen and Miyuki's house has been shown at least 3 times by now.
Taureneo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM #54
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Smile Precure 5: Cure Beauty, the Cure formerly known as Cure Aqua

Following the mandatory exposition, we cut to the enemy HQ in the Bad End Kingdom, where Majorina, a 3rd villain general, has apparently been watching too much of Disney's Snow White and pulls an apple out of a cauldron, remarking that Wolfrun and Red Ogre are weak and now it's her turn.

We see Miyuki running late to school again, but before she enters the building she finds Reika watering some flowers outside the building as part of her morning routine. Reika always takes it upon herself to do so, as she feels that it'll always brighten the students days, at which Miyuki "ultra happily" agrees. During the rest of the day, Miyuki observes Reika during her class. At lunch, Candy asks the recently Cured Nao to utilize the Cure Decor obtained last episode, becoming hair bands to tie around Candy's ears. Miyuki describes to Akane, Yayoi and Nao about who the 5th Precure will be, though they're confused when Miyuki says "She's a water fairy".

The 4 find Reika, who, in footage that is totally not recycled from the OP segment, is the middle of Archery. Showing respect for Reika, the 4 bow to her asking her to become a Precure. Despite Reika believing in their story, seeing Candy talk, and taking it well and level-headed compared to when the other 4 found out about becoming Precure, Reika declines as she tells the dumbfounded girls that she must devote her time to organize a regular Fairy Tale reading event at a nearby elementary school. Even more is put on her shoulders as she must fill in for the Student council president who caught a fever on account of her being Vice President.

Despite worries from the treasurer and secretary of the Student council, Reika assures she will handle it, and the 4 Cures volunteer as well, with Miyuki being eager to do it as they will be reading Snow White, Nao suggesting they make paper dolls to liven the read along, and Akane making Yayoi draw them. Though Reika doesn't want to force all the work on the 4, Miyuki and the other two SC members assure her it won't be a problem as they get to work, as we see a still montage of the making of the drawings, props, reading practice, and Candy's cover nearly being blown. Concurrently, Majorina detects through her crystal ball at where potential Bad Endings can be found, and she discovers the read aloud.

At the elementary school, Reika and the SC members read while the 4 Cures handle props. While the kids enjoy the livened performance, Majorina comes on stage, the audience thinking it's part of the act. She activates the bad ending, affecting the audience and the SC, including Reika, as the notch on the evil meter moves again. Vowing to protect everyone, the 4 Cures transform.

Nao is still in disbelief at transforming again and fiddles with her overgrown hair, while Peace's proclamation has her at Rock (And Candy losing as Scissors), making Akane question if it'll be a running gag for her. Majorina makes an Akanbe out of the mirror paper doll, turning into a mirror monster as it clones itself. At the suggestion of Candy, the Cures use their special attacks (Their spirit gathering action confusing Majorina), but they all end up hitting the wrong one. Seeing the struggle of the exhausted 4, Reika breaks out of her stupor, questioning what's going on with Yayoi taking a book from Kamen Rider Decade and saying "We're just superheroes passing through". When Majorina gloats about the useless read aloud and wrecks one of the props, Reika snaps and steps in the path of the Akanbe proclaiming in an icy fury to protect the cures and demanding Majorina to leave. This grants Reika her henshin device, and she transforms, in a more subdued sequence than the other 4, into Cure Beauty.

While Reika is still stunned, the Akanbe attack, but Reika manages to not only accepts the situation fast, she attacks smart and quickly analyzes to find the real Mirror Akanbe and defeat it. Then, with the urging of Candy, she uses her special attack, Precure Beauty Blizzard, to defeat the Akanbe and obtain another Cure Decor. After Majorina retreats, the read along continues and finishes to a huge success. Afterwards, Reika formally apologized for not joining earlier and asks to join their group of friends. Miyuki, Akane, Yayoi and Nao enthusiastically agree as they and Candy group hug, completing the lineup of Smile Precure.
-----------------------------------------------
Reika is, in more ways than the others, the closest to her counterpart Karen in Precure 5; they both use blue, command a similar element, they both come from richer upper class families, and they both have passive personalities. In some way I'm not surprised as not everything in Smile can't be different from Precure 5.

But still there are differences in the way this episode was handled. Those who remember Precure 5 know that Karen's Precure debut was actually a two parter, with her being rejected first before joining in the 2nd part. Was glad to see that in Smile they made it a one parter to not make it a rehash. Reika's trait from her bio in that she becomes completely icy when pushed too far is a trait reminiscent of Komachi rather than Karen in Precure 5. Also another difference in the different utilization of elements: Karen is more water while Reika is ice based. One disappointment though is that we've yet to see Reika use her ice sword.

Next week...not entirely sure what's going on next week. The episode description is vague, but it's likely gonna be episode where they try and work and be better fighters as a team. Also evidently there's a "spot the word" contest in preparation for a upcoming 4th All Stars movie.

Last edited by Xalfrea; March 19th, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:46 AM #55
> Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Another All Stars DX? I remember reading that there was a statement that 3 would be the last one.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:27 AM #56
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

The most recent one was the last one under the "DX" series. Apparently this upcoming will be called "New Stage". No idea of the significance. In other words, there are the Precure All Stars movies, but "DX" and "New Stage" are the various movie series.

Might as well give my brief thoughts on DX2 and 3. DX2 was alright, there was a lot of interaction between the groups, but, as Linkara once said, a teamup must never allow one team to look bad in front of the other. And sadly, the Heartcatch's are all but useless in DX2. DX2 doesn't even have the courtesy to give a full henshin sequence for all of them; only Fresh and Heartcatch get their sequences. DX2 is definitely the weakest of the trilogy.

DX3...now THIS is a teamup movie, and IMO the best among the 3. The stakes are much higher, it has a longer running time, and all groups of Cures are treated equally and given equal development and screentime. This can be attributed by the way they segmented the Cures and split into 3 groups: the leaders, the smart ones, and other smart ones mixed with the comic ones. Each group is shown that, despite being strong, the usual team dynamic is not there and they need to work with each other. Let's just say, if they decided to end the entire Precure franchise with DX3, it would've ended on a high and great note.

With New Stage, I'm not sure how they'll go about it. Obviously Smile and Suite will get the most focus but hopefully the other teams will too. Also, there will be another character, first introduced in this movie, that'll get some focus too.

Oh and because we haven't had enough of Nao's hair:

Last edited by Xalfrea; March 7th, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM #57
> VampirePaladin
Power Ranger

VampirePaladin
Power Ranger

I was very underwhelmed by Reika's introduction episode. I really hope they give her some character focused episodes that I will enjoy more.
VampirePaladin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:04 PM #58
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Smile Precure 6: The amazing adventures in Exposition land

We start this episode with....no exposition flashback! Seems that now the 5 are fully formed, there's no need for it. At Miyuki's house, the team celebrates that the group is complete and Candy pops out of a party ball, ecstatic that all the Precure are here. At once, the group starts asking Candy questions, like who are the Precure and why do they have these powers, though Candy doesn't know beyond the fact that they're just legendary warriors. Further inquiries like who the bad guys are, what they must do, etc, further annoy Candy, as she climbs back into the party ball, admitting that she doesn't really know, to the girls dismay. Their session is interrupted when a flying book enters through the window and crashes into Miyuki's face. Much like when Candy debuted in the first episode, another furry mascot pops out, and before he can properly introduce himself, Candy tears through the party ball, hugging the newcomer that's revealed to be her brother.

Following the OP segment that showcases footage of the upcoming All Stars New Stage, Candy's older brother introduces himself as Pop, playing with Candy and having banter with the group, particularly with Yayoi. Pop then attempts to answer all of their queries, but discovers that the essential book to tell this was lost by Candy in the first episode. Miyuki then recalls that she left that book in the mysterious library she stumbled upon in the first episode, Pop amazed that she was able to get in there. He then tells them that any bookshelf can be used as portals to go anywhere as well as access the mysterious library, as the two mascots and the Smile's jump into the bookshelf portal.

At the Bad End Kingdom, Majorina, Red Ogre and Wolfrun play cards and lament how there are now 5 Precures when suddenly their game is interrupted by an unknown voice. Back to the Cures, the 5 arrive through a tree as all the Smiles but Yayoi crash into each other in a pile. Pop reveals this gigantic library to be where all the world's fairy tales are stored. As Miyuki pirouettes around to start reading them all, she trips and falls over the missing book. Candy and Pop gather the Smiles around for storytime, to Miyuki's utter delight.

Long ago, there was the kingdom of picture books, called Marchenland, where faeries from picture books lived in peace. One day the peace was shattered when the forces led by the Emperor of Evil, Pierrot invaded. The Queen of Marchenland, Royale, fought to protect their land, but things took a turn for the worse when the source of their power, the Cure Decor was stolen and turned into red crystals to summon the evil Akanbe monsters. Using the last of her power, Queen Royale sealed Pierrot away ending in a stalemate. It is the intent of Candy and Pop to gather all the stolen Cure Decors as to revive Queen Royale by storing them in a suitcase called the Decor Decor, and the Smiles comply by putting the 5 obtained Decors into the case. By obtained more Decors, the two mascots hope that the queen will be revived.

Back at the Bad End Kingdom, the unknown voice is revealed to be Joker, the 4th evil general of the group, fully on board with the idea of the other 3 to drown the Earth and universe in a Bad End to revive Pierrot. Lining up with this exposition, the mascots story continues with Queen Royale sending 5 lights to Earth, entrusting Candy to find the 5 Precure. This mysterious book seems to line up with the actions of the group, as they find themselves as part of the picture story. The succeeding pages are blank, signifying how they're the ones to pen and finish this storybook. At the Bad End Kingdom, the 4 remark how there are only 5, and Majorina wins the card game, meaning she gets to go down to cause havoc in Earth. As Joker watches her leave, the evil general begins to psychotically anticipate what will happen.

As the 5 Precures sum up what their task is, Miyuki asks other 4 one more thing: what their catchphrase will be. Akane and Nao flatly tells her they don't care, while Yayoi, ever the mangaka, happily agrees with Miyuki, while Reika ponders that a catchphrase will help in their teamwork. Akane and Nao eventually relent and they begin working on it, going through various poses and calling themselves different team names, like Five-Precure. While this is going on, Majorina arrives at a park and activates a Bad End, increasing the notch on the evil number meter. Pop detects it and instructs the Precures to utilize the book portal to go where they feel the Bad End takes place. As the 5 enter the portal, Miyuki suddenly spots a book about penguins before being sucked into the portal, to Pop's dismay.

Akane, Yayoi, Nao and Reika arrive at a library near the Bad End-afflicted park, where Majorina summons an Akanbe out of a soda can. Miyuki meanwhile ends up at a library in an installation in the South Pole, where she is eventually rescued in the freezing weather by Pop. While the two head back to the installation, Pop talks with Miyuki, regarding if Candy is any trouble. Pop is happy when Miyuki tells her she's not causing trouble, as Pop remarks that Candy tries to hard, and that her over-assertiveness combined with her being a crybaby and coward sometimes lands her into trouble. Pop says that he has to go back to Marchenland, and Miyuki encourages to Pop to smile and be happy, assured that the 5 Precures will look after Candy. The two arrive back at the park in time as they find the Akanbe has been relentlessly attacking them and not allowing the 4 to transform. The group huddles as Miyuki discusses her inspiration for the catchphrase, then they transform, declaring their new catchphrase and dubbing themselves the Smile Precure.

Before Miyuki can relish the moment, the Akanbe monster attacks stunning them. Just when the Akanbe is about to finish them off, Pop runs in, using his transformation jutsu, and becoming a giant Pressing Machine to fight the Akanbe. Pop manages to grab hold of the Akanbe, allowing the Smiles to crush him flat. At the urging of Candy, Miyuki uses her finishing attack, defeating the Akanbe and obtaining another Cure Decor. Miyuki then puts it in the Decor Decor, filling up the 6th slot and having 10 more spaces to fill. Later, Candy tearily asks Pop to not leave, but Pop says to not worry about him, reminding Candy of their promise to always Smile when they part ways. As Pop leaves, Miyuki tells Candy to not worry, as they all have each other, cheering Candy up and making her hungry.
---------------------------------------
Our exposition episode allowed for explanation on certain elements of the show's story, like the importance of the Cure Decor and the original home of Candy, and the utilization of the bookshelf portals. This episode also allowed for more humorous stuff like a portion of the episode being taken out to discover what their catchphrase is and what they must do now that they're a team.

Important story elements are also introduced, like the 4th general Joker, who may have more to him than meets the eye. The fact that there are now 16 Cure Decor spaces to fill may mean something in the future too. This episode also introduces Pop, who may or may not play an important role in the show.

Speaking of Pop, his inclusion in the fight does hinder the last act of the episode; it's only thanks to him that the Smile's manage to find an opening and attack. For the episode that has the Smile's together for the first time, it was to be expected that they'd have a real teamwork episode where they can fight properly. But oh well, the show is still in its early stages and this may improve later on.

Next episode seems to be all about the Smile's trying to find where they will have their secret gathering and get-togethers.
Old March 12th, 2012, 01:47 AM #59
> Astro Rider
Cyclone Joker

Astro Rider
Cyclone Joker

But with the smile cures they have worked together, as they basically rallied around each other through friendship, plus they got the roll call out so they can sync up. I did enjoy the moment the rollcall finished, they got hit with the missile.

Pop was super cool though, his bit about being manly was funny. Hope he comes back soon.

Also is there another tray in the decor decor? when i counted it, they should have it full before pierrot revives as it stands. unless i miscounted. On that note It is a cool dynamic how both sides gain power at the same speed, before it just seemed tight on the cures that even if they defeated the akanbe the clock would still progress just by the bad guys turning up, and they couldn't stop it. now they are reviving their grand power too it seems more fair.
Astro Rider is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM #60
> EddieB
Power Ranger

EddieB
Power Ranger

I watched the first Season of Pretty Cure. While the characters Nagisa and Honoka were clearly cliches I didn't mind since I actually really like those characters. I found all the Mascot characters hilarious I especially loved Porun with his constant "Popo".

The Music and the Transformations in this show I thought were also excellent

As far as the First Season goes I feel that the pacing for the first half was excellent with a General Fight coming every 5-8 episodes. Second Half has an excellent start but it ends up dragging with a lot of filler. But then it starts picking up to me the best pretty cure episode of all time is showed.

Code:
Spoiler: Basically in the beginning Regene and Juna bring a monster of the day and it takes Honoka into darkness and Nagisa has to be alone. While both Villains taunt her and she even begins to believe that what they are saying is right. Then she comes to her senses and fights a bunch of Zakena to get to Honoka and when she does it probably the most emotional scene in Pretty Cure and then both of them kick both Villain's asses. It just an awesome episode all around.
So all around the Series gets 3 stars

The Ending arc is done well while predictable was still enjoyable. The Final Fight is good but I think it could of been better. The Ending itself is very well done and really sad.

Pretty Cure Max Heart from the first episode I can tell this looks to be an improvement loved the opening theme song with improved animation.

Music I'm sure is the same from the first season so excellent

Nagisa and Honoka return but as Seniors and both of them get to be the top Position in their activities. Nagisa is made captain of the Lacrosse Team while I thought her winning all the time was not the best way to do it. I did enjoy her struggles with the team. Honoka unfortunately I can't remember whether her position gave her any challenges.

A new Character of Hikari is also introduced and found her a great addition to the cast and I liked her development. Shining Luminous has one awesome long transformation.

Also love the fact that they made her support to Nagisa and Honoka. Black and Whites Transformation is also awesome and I think its better then the first. Also really loved the variety of having 3 different finishers to finish off the motd with.

The Villains from the first Pretty Cure I felt were good but I found the Villains in this one a lot better having more of a personality. I liked how they all acted as Family as they watched over the boy in the mansion buying him toys and making him happy. I also liked that Max Heart had a certain way of reviving the dark king.

The Final Confrontation was awesome and I thought it was a lot better then the first seasons.

4 Stars while I wish the general fights were paced better all around Max Heart is a big improvement over the first with a much more thought out story and character development

So now we come to Splash Star of course my initial thoughts: "Wow this looks really lazy" I mean the characters look very similar and seem to have the same arch types with minor differences in their hobbies. Chopi and Floppy look similar to Mepo and Mipple. I would say through the first two general arcs this appears to be true.

Then Michirou and Karou make the scene and wow this is probably two of the best characters that Pretty Cure has ever had so far. It was really enjoyable watching their development. Then from the third general on we get really well done villains with memorable personalities. Goyan as the main villain's adviser was a really entertaining villain. The finale of the Michirou and Karou arc was fantastic and really emotional.

I find that Saki and Mai overall both got great focus gasp she actually lost the championship match. Mai also had a couple of challenges that would challenge her as an artist. The 4 part Finale was fantastic with a twist I did not see coming and the Final Battle was Amazing.

Music was also great as well

Overall Splash Star ends up being my favorite of the pretty cure series so far. It had perfect pacing and well done characters and very well done villains. Michirou and Karou were awesome and really made this show. The Finale was fantastic and definitely the best Finale of pretty cure so far.

Last edited by EddieB; March 13th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
EddieB is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
sentai with cupcakes