Home Menu

Menu

Old November 19th, 2018, 08:19 AM #1701
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Sabanrangerfan Xman wrote: View Post

Whatever. But, honestly. I am more worried about whether or not this season will be getting an English dub in the U.S. If it doesn't get an Englidh, then I guess it's understandable, but it still would be disappointing for some people that might be curious to hear what the Sailor Starlights, Princess Kakyuu, Sailor Galaxia and the Sailor Animates would sound like in English. But, if it does get an English dub, then that is okay with me.

Well, you're not really missing out on much. It's just that everything from the re-dub is exactly the same as it was being told in Japanese. In other words...It's the exact same story, but in English. Not that much difference now, is it?! Although, the only noteable difference I could say is that in the re-dub of Sailor Moon S, Mimette of the Death Busters cannot sing for shit. But, in the Japanese version, she can sing. And that's it
Dude, chill. Why are you so aggressive? Anyways Viz will dub Stars, they're not going to release the series up to Stars then just stop that's the point of them having the rights to distribute and all. Hell your link just announced it, not like anyone was surprised, that the first half was coming in the spring. And technically yes Stars has been available subbed by Viz for a couple years now so it's not like Stars is completely new to the US. A dubbed version, yes but that's it.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old November 19th, 2018, 09:27 AM #1702
> Oceanblue
Power Ranger

Oceanblue
Power Ranger

...Why would it not get an English dub though? The whole selling point of Viz getting the rights to SM is that theyíre re-dubbing it and that includes finally dubbing Sailor Stars.

I mean even if it doesnít it wonít matter to me, Sailor Moon is being released on Blu-ray in Japan and thatís the version of the show I prefer to watch (better Blu-ray quality, no subtitles, no English dub) but Iím still pretty sure Sailor Stars will be getting an English dub like the other seasons.
Oceanblue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 10:23 AM #1703
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

No, not whatever. Your statement was wrong, the US is not "the west", it's only a part of it. Conflating the two makes it sound as if Sailor Stars is released in the west for the first time when in reality the US is just 20 years late to the party.

It's a pet peeve I have.
you make a good point though. the US was the only country to not get it subbed or dubbed. canada got it, mexico got it, south america, etc
megagao is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 10:27 AM #1704
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

No, not whatever. Your statement was wrong, the US is not "the west", it's only a part of it. Conflating the two makes it sound as if Sailor Stars is released in the west for the first time when in reality the US is just 20 years late to the party.
Not arguing we're late to the party, but this will probably be one of the more accurate times it's brought over. While other countries did dub Stars, some of their own dubbing standards were... weird about the Three Lights, changing their sexes and having weird explanations for them changing sexes while transforming. It'll be nice if the US's first belated shot at it gets it right, which I think it will with Viz's record so far.

*GOD*, but it's going to be so weird seeing Sailor Stars in English. It's like the forbidden fruit here.

megagao wrote: View Post

canada got it
Incorrect there, there's only one English dub and sub at any given time for Sailor Moon. XD Canada's getting it for the first time with us.
Miraculous Bikkun is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 10:52 AM #1705
> Andros
Burajira

Andros
Burajira

Is there ever a chance again of getting the original dub back on DVD release? My wife loved her dub growing up and she despises the new one.
Andros is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 11:13 AM #1706
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Considering that as I understand it the Viz dub is completely uncut and a lot more faithful to the Japanese script I don't think we have anything to worry about regarding Stars.

Cloverway almost definitely would have hacked it to pieces had it gotten dubbed back in the day though. Speaking of which, how did the countries that did dub the show rationalize the Starlights changing gender when they transformed?
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 12:26 PM #1707
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Andros wrote: View Post

Is there ever a chance again of getting the original dub back on DVD release? My wife loved her dub growing up and she despises the new one.
I'm not really about that, so it looks unlikely for now.
AdrenalineRush is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 12:33 PM #1708
> PRangerX
VIP Ranger

PRangerX
VIP Ranger

Andros wrote: View Post

Doesn't look likely, those dubs were owned by two different companies that lost the rights to them to begin with. I don't think Toei or Naoko are interested in those ever getting released again. And even if they were, it would probably be cost prohibative.

Since who ever got the rights to release it , would most likely have to buy the rights from DIC and Cloverway's successor companies. And I doubt Viz would be willing to pay money after they produced their own dub. It would confuse the market place in their minds.

If Toei/Naoko were gonna release the old dubs then they would have made a deal with one or more of the successor companies... And have them just dubb Stars and Crystal. Even then it probably would have been DiC's successor company or Cloverway's continuing from where they left off or missed (without the other group's episodes.And). And then you would still have discrepancies with the new stuff. Since there would probably still be a mostly new cast.

I personally think it sucks we can't get the old stuff officially released, aired,or streamed anywhere. But its just not in the cards. I can live without the cloverway dub, just wish we could get the DIC episodes again. But the current senario is still a lot better then what we had during the dead period. Where we had no Sailor Moon at all in North America.

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Considering that as I understand it the Viz dub is completely uncut and a lot more faithful to the Japanese script I don't think we have anything to worry about regarding Stars.

Cloverway almost definitely would have hacked it to pieces had it gotten dubbed back in the day though. Speaking of which, how did the countries that did dub the show rationalize the Starlights changing gender when they transformed?
One notable aproach was to say the Starlights were each two different people. When the boys " transformed" they were replaced by their twin sisters.

In fairness to Cloverway, I don't think US kid vid was ready for this type of storyline. With the way society is now, it probably would have not been a big deal today. Of course Viz doesn't have to worry about being on Cartoon Network and is targeting an older audience.

Last edited by PRangerX; November 19th, 2018 at 12:33 PM.
PRangerX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:39 AM #1709
> Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

So yeah, what everybody is trying to say Andros, is that...the old dubs are not going to be re-released on DVD at this point. It just ain't in the cards. So, no offense, Andros. But, your wife is gonna have to suck it up and deal with the facts. We can't get those old English dubs of Sailor Moon to be re-released on DVD. The only way for you to collect the old dubs, is to either buy the bootleged DVD copies or just download the torrents. Otherwise, if your wife doesn't like the Viz Media re-dub of Sailor Moon, then she is just gonna have to watch the entire series on Blu-ray, but in Japanese and with the subtitles on.

I am sorry, man. But, that is just the way it is. Yeah, it's unfair for anyone who is nostalgic for the old English dubs of Sailor Moon and I get why you would like to see them again. But, they are not the ones that are being remastered in HD and being released on Blu-ray and DVD. Plus, DiC Animations and Cloverway lost the licensing rights to dub the series. So, too bad. No one is ever gonna get what they wanted. Again, that is just the way it is. Sorry!
Sabanrangerfan Xman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:02 PM #1710
> SnowWolf25
Power Ranger

SnowWolf25
Power Ranger

A few more clips have been revealed for the Viz dub.

Queen Nehelenia's backstory

Dreams come true

Amazoness Quartet Introduction comparison.
SnowWolf25 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 08:06 PM #1711
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

Just a heads up, the S dub is now legally available for streaming on Hulu and Yahoo! View. Lord knows why it took them so long.
I noticed that last night because Hulu hasnít been working on my computer for quite a while. When I turned it on for my upstairs TV and saw the episodes I thought myself, itís about bloody time!
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 01:09 AM #1712
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Takarazuka influenced Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon The Super Live is coming to North America.

https://nerdist.com/sailor-moon-musi...ng-to-america/
AdrenalineRush is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:45 AM #1713
> Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

Not arguing we're late to the party, but this will probably be one of the more accurate times it's brought over. While other countries did dub Stars, some of their own dubbing standards were... weird about the Three Lights, changing their sexes and having weird explanations for them changing sexes while transforming. It'll be nice if the US's first belated shot at it gets it right, which I think it will with Viz's record so far.

*GOD*, but it's going to be so weird seeing Sailor Stars in English. It's like the forbidden fruit here.
Not exactly. I mean, the only thing that is weird is the idea that the anime director of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars and the anime producer at the time wanted made the decision to have the Sailor Starlights switch genders because they clearly didn't understood what was going on in the Stars arc of the manga. But I don't get why they even bother making Seiya, Taiki and Yaten guys in their civilian disguises in the first-place. I mean, why not keep them as women in the anime version, instead?!

But, hopefully, we might get the Stars arc from the manga adapted into the final installment of Sailor Moon Crystal in the near-future. It's just that we need to wait for Toei Animation to make the announcement for that too happen.

Anyways, guys. I just found some more dub comparison videos in regards to the insert songs of SuperS. What do you guys think?

Plus, a few extra added bonuses:

Old November 21st, 2018, 08:14 AM #1714
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

i'll have to check the comparisons on the bus ride to Pittsburgh. as for the original DiC dub, i'm in that same bandwagon. I'd love for there to be an official re-release of the first two seasons. i know they are edited, and missing episodes, but that show got me into the series and i personally loved the VA's in that version. each senshi had a very distinctive voice and oddly enough those VA's sounded like the Japanese VA's. honestly, they sounded pretty damn close. i'm sure if they at least got the rights to the first two seasons, they'd make bank. it's a loved series, even if edited for american audiences.

and are we sure canada never got a dub of stars? i could of sworn they did. was stars ever dubbed in english outside north america?
megagao is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 08:29 AM #1715
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Stars has never been dubbed into English in any form until the upcoming Viz release as far as I'm aware (unless you want to count fandubs).

There were some other non-English speaking countries that got the show back in the day though (and as far as I'm aware the only real reason we didn't get one before now was because Cloverway lost the license for the series shortly after SuperS).
Old November 21st, 2018, 09:29 AM #1716
> Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

megagao wrote: View Post

i'll have to check the comparisons on the bus ride to Pittsburgh. as for the original DiC dub, i'm in that same bandwagon. I'd love for there to be an official re-release of the first two seasons. i know they are edited, and missing episodes, but that show got me into the series and i personally loved the VA's in that version. each senshi had a very distinctive voice and oddly enough those VA's sounded like the Japanese VA's. honestly, they sounded pretty damn close. i'm sure if they at least got the rights to the first two seasons, they'd make bank. it's a loved series, even if edited for american audiences.
Me?! I really don't care all that much about any of the English dubs anymore. I say the Japanese version is vastly superior than the English dubs. Well, in the 90's anime, that is. But for the Crystal version.... *sigh!* Well, so far the English dub of Sailor Moon is okay. However, that's only due the fact that Kotono Mitsuishi-sempai doesn't sound as young and energetic in the Crystal version like she did when she voiced the character in the 90's anime. But, that is just my opinion.
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:02 AM #1717
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Speaking of Stars, is there a reason why that was so much shorter than the previous seasons? You had the Nehelenia arc at the beginning (which was basically how SuperS should have ended) then the actual Stars arc seems to fly by fairly quickly (there was less filler to be fair but things still felt a little rushed to me). Hell, there were entire subplots from the manga they could have used like Chibiusa's return and Sailor Cosmos.

It also didn't help that for some reason the writers had already jettisoned most of the side characters at that point and seeing as Mamoru spends most of the season out of commission that basically just narrowed the main cast down to just the Scouts and the Starlights for the most part.

Last edited by Akiba Black; November 21st, 2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:04 PM #1718
> Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

Speaking of Stars, is there a reason why that was so much shorter than the previous seasons? You had the Nehelenia arc at the beginning (which was basically how SuperS should have ended) then the actual Stars arc seems to fly by fairly quickly (there was less filler to be fair but things still felt a little rushed to me). Hell, there were entire subplots from the manga they could have used like Chibiusa's return and Sailor Cosmos.

It also didn't help that for some reason the writers had already jettisoned most of the side characters at that point and seeing as Mamoru spends most of the season out of commission that basically just narrowed the main cast down to just the Scouts and the Starlights for the most part.
I don't know. I mean, given the fact that the Stars arc from the manga is only eleven chapters. I think it's best that we should be thankful for what we had with the 90's anime version of the arc. I mean, what else could Toei Animation have to add more episodes in the final season? Just pad out the run time to at least 44 minutes per episode?!

Anyways, uhm guys, I am not sure if you had heard this, but someone is actually trying to release the old dubs to be available for downloading and he is also using the blu-ray versions of the episodes for the audio track of the old dubs.

Old November 21st, 2018, 06:42 PM #1719
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

True, though like I said there was stuff in the manga that was straight up cut out of the anime version that probably could have worked in any case. It's still a decent season despite some strange changes to the source material (gender swapping Starlights instead of the much simpler explanation of them just being women in disguise, Sailor Cosmos being dropped completely along with all the backstories for the Animates), there wasn't much to all that to be fair but it would at least be something else to work with. If I had to rate all 5 seasons of the 90's show from best to worst it'd probably go:

Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon S (though the manga/Crystal version was better overall)
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Sailor Moon R
Sailor Moon SuperS (the Dream arc from the manga is a vast improvement to be fair and as such I'm looking forward to the upcoming movies).

Last edited by Akiba Black; November 21st, 2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:54 PM #1720
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

See for me I found Stars dragging instead of rushed. But yeah, basically it's cause there's really nothing much to the Stars arc in the manga. Galaxia appears, kills Mamoru, then they cycle through a handful of the Animates as one by one the scouts get picked off. Meanwhile the Starlights are...there. And then it comes to head, bing bang boom it's done. They padded it more than enough with MotW for what is basically just a threadbare plot of killing off everyone so Usagi can have a tragic final battle to heroically save everyone(and the world).

To be fair the show didn't really have any side characters by SuperS really. I think that was the last appearance of Naru & Umino(or maybe it was S...can't remember). Otherwise the only real side characters are Usagi's family and Chibi-Usa's friends if you can really call them that. But really the show had mostly been just about Usagi and the Scouts. The most you got of real side characters was the very beginning of the series when Usagi had Naru and her other friends that she silently ditched I think by the time she made friends with Motoko. So yeah Stars just became about the Scouts intersecting with the Starlights.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote