Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11th, 2018, 05:28 PM #3381
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,557
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,557



hasso_primo wrote: View Post

When corporate no longer cares, pretty much everything gets approved.

That said, many overplay the doom and gloom of the scenario. If children were able to handle the genocide of the Airbenders by FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS, they easily handled an evil computer virus doing it.
Yeah, I mean it was fairly serious in terms of PR, compared to other seasons' disasters but it's also in the manner that it's...addressed by the characters. The same set up as RPM is basically no different than any other post-apocalyptic movie/show, the difference is they generally treat things SO seriously cause of the drama which helps sell the dark and grim atmosphere. RPM didn't treat it likely, it was a serious matter but not to the same extent. We know humans were wiped out but we don't necessarily /see/ it happening, at least no different than any other human attacks that're shown in PR. And of course the seriousness bevied by the comedy also helps dispel the potential for it being too grim.

Which is what Avatar did, even as the seasons went on that the show got more serious. It's just how it's all delivered. Hell, even MF managed to do it decently for an episode during the Armada's attack on the city in the finale and following premiere of SMF. For at least that brief moment.
Alitain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 05:32 PM #3382
> Buddy2814
VIP Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 221
Buddy2814
VIP Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 221



hasso_primo wrote: View Post

Tiger Heart is still one of my favorite movies ever.
I don't know if I ever saw that one. I just remember a couple of movies with him being a bit younger than he was on MMPR and Masked Rider that were just really bad.
Buddy2814 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 07:09 PM #3383
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,557
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,557



Peter wrote: View Post

I never really noticed that with Aisha and Billy, but IIRC it only was an issue once. With Kimberly, it was three times (just about every single action scene barring the initial Oozemen fight. The Tengu carries her off -- why? -- the skeleton specifically chases her, and then she needs him to swing in and help drop a boulder onto one of the stone guardians), and that's not counting the third act where Kimberly needs Tommy to show up with the Falconzord and save the day once or twice as well. Gah.
Phew, had to go back farther than I thought for this. Because of the whole, "Kim as damsel" in the movie discussion days ago I decided to rewatch it again today though I had watched it last year before the '17 movie. Anyways, Kim really wasn't a damsel more than once. Well maybe twice, if you want to count the Tengas grabbing her but still.

She gets grabbed by the Tengas, and rightfully so calls for help cause they're carrying her away to what one could only assume was the plan to lift her up and drop her to her doom in Dulcea hadn't shown up. But she wasn't helpless, she was struggling against it just didn't have many options at that time being carried and all.

Yeah, the skeleton triceratops she calls out for Tommy. But look at the scene; Billy is the first one the creature goes after, and he bolts which puts Aisha in its sights. She gets chased and is in basically the same "damsel" amount as Kim ends up being. She gets away, then Rocky gets knocked unconscious(actually that was before Aisha...anyways), Adam high tails it by rolling beneath it leaving Kim the only target. It didn't just go after Kim right off the bat, or for no reason. It basically went through everyone else and then her. She just had the misfortune of running(like basically all the others), into the ribcage. Yelling for Tommy made absolute sense cause he was the only one that wasn't either knocked out or having already run from it. Hell him and Rocky were really the only ones that went for it(well tried in Rocky's case, but still counts).

Admittedly despite watching this several times as an adult, actually focusing on it more this time did point out just how...pointless if not bad that scene was. These are all veteran rangers who've fought plenty of monsters, and even the Stone Canyon Trio being newer and not pitted against all the same stakes, still have experience with much fiercer opponents than an undead triceratops. Not that I'd expect the rangers to charge head on into that thing, but still they all(again except for Tommy and Rocky) just ran from it.

Anyways, yes Kim needed help getting the boulders rolling on the temple guardian. But that's not an example of damsel in distress. Hell, it was a smart move for her to try and do that, she just couldn't get it moving without help and that's not really anything against her. I doubt any single ranger would've been able to do it; Tommy needed her help to get it done anyways. But that situation was any different than any of the other rangers in that battle; they took some pot shots and mainly dodged until they all pretty much got a good shot or two in. Hell, if anyone was a damsel in that scene it was Aisha cause she got chased into the little cave and pinned down by the guardian till Rocky saved her by getting it's attention.

As for the zord fight, yes Ivan trapped her but I wouldn't say she was exactly a damsel in distress there either. She was just trapped. And she didn't need Tommy, nor did she call for him, nor did he even save her at all during that battle. She was trapped and couldn't get free, then Aisha told her to use her boosters which she did and shot away out of Ivan's hold. I mean if you really wanna go for it sure, she was stuck but all she needed was a suggestion and she was able to free herself. Not that big a deal.

Hell, Adam spent basically the entire battle tonguing Scorpitron, Billy biting it's tail, but effectively doing nothing. Rocky was giving Hornitor hugs, which it clearly didn't mind. It liked Rocky more than Aisha who's attempt at advances was rebuffed soundly. So I wouldn't really say Kim was a damsel there. And she kicked butt the same amount as every other character. Well except Tommy who get the kill shots on the Oozmen, guardians, Scorpitron...eh think that's it.


Either way though, Kim somehow being reduced to only a damsel and constantly crying for Tommy in the movie is overblown. The other rangers all got pinned down, or otherwise knocked around no real different than her. The only real moment was the triceratops fight but it wasn't any more than Aisha at least in that scene, and the other guys didn't help much cause they either dodged and ran, or were knocked out. She wasn't really a damsel in the guardian fight, in fact she came up with a smart strategy to get her opponent, just was having a hard time with out help but no different than anyone else in the same situation. She was actually smart about fighting it, the only person to match her was Billy when he saved Adam causing the one to chop the other.

On another note about the movie, the goofs still make me chuckle. Twice during their rollerblading scene where they're jumping and land out of order. Like the last time as they come to the construction site you see Tommy and Kim jump, then Billy, Rocky, and Adam in succession but when it cuts to them landing Billy lands then suddenly Aisha is there before Rocky and Adam. Just silly. Or at the temple when they get their powers and the glowing animals spirits are flying around them and they got Adam and Billy's swapped. That one probably amuses me the most. And now, which surprises me cause I never thought about it before, I'm curious if anyone's done fan art of Dulcea as a ranger with an owl theme.
Alitain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 10:42 PM #3384
Storm Eagle's Avatar
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,934
Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,934



Peter wrote: View Post




There's your first mistake. Those were three terrible, terrible episodes.

And Masked Rider is so annoying that I give props to Tommy and Rocky for not simply holding him down and beating the stuffing out of him. I would've.
I personally tend to cherish "A Friend in Need" since it was one of those mini-series that was shown only four times on Fox Kids. Three times back in 1995 which is the initial year of its premiere, and just once more in early 1996. It probably would have aired once more in late 1999 if they didn't ax Power Playback OTO so early. After that, it never aired anywhere in the US. Neither of Disney's networks aired it here, and I never saw it again until Netflix got Power Rangers episodes in 2011.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 04:37 AM #3385
PineapplePizza's Avatar
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 770
PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
PineapplePizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 770



^I’m sure Fox Kids and Disney’s networks thought it worthless to do reruns of a trilogy promoting a show that didn’t exist anymore
PineapplePizza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:49 AM #3386
SgtReed24's Avatar
> SgtReed24
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 978
SgtReed24
Power Ranger
SgtReed24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 978



Yeah... hiding in the ribcage, while yelling for Tommy, is basically the definition of Damsel. lol

It didn't fit her character at all imo. Nor did most of the ninja fights fit the Rangers in that movie.
SgtReed24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:53 AM #3387
mmprfan09's Avatar
> mmprfan09
One In A Million
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,693
mmprfan09
One In A Million
mmprfan09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,693



Alitain wrote: View Post

Phew, had to go back farther than I thought for this. Because of the whole, "Kim as damsel" in the movie discussion days ago I decided to rewatch it again today though I had watched it last year before the '17 movie. Anyways, Kim really wasn't a damsel more than once. Well maybe twice, if you want to count the Tengas grabbing her but still.

She gets grabbed by the Tengas, and rightfully so calls for help cause they're carrying her away to what one could only assume was the plan to lift her up and drop her to her doom in Dulcea hadn't shown up. But she wasn't helpless, she was struggling against it just didn't have many options at that time being carried and all.

Yeah, the skeleton triceratops she calls out for Tommy. But look at the scene; Billy is the first one the creature goes after, and he bolts which puts Aisha in its sights. She gets chased and is in basically the same "damsel" amount as Kim ends up being. She gets away, then Rocky gets knocked unconscious(actually that was before Aisha...anyways), Adam high tails it by rolling beneath it leaving Kim the only target. It didn't just go after Kim right off the bat, or for no reason. It basically went through everyone else and then her. She just had the misfortune of running(like basically all the others), into the ribcage. Yelling for Tommy made absolute sense cause he was the only one that wasn't either knocked out or having already run from it. Hell him and Rocky were really the only ones that went for it(well tried in Rocky's case, but still counts).

Admittedly despite watching this several times as an adult, actually focusing on it more this time did point out just how...pointless if not bad that scene was. These are all veteran rangers who've fought plenty of monsters, and even the Stone Canyon Trio being newer and not pitted against all the same stakes, still have experience with much fiercer opponents than an undead triceratops. Not that I'd expect the rangers to charge head on into that thing, but still they all(again except for Tommy and Rocky) just ran from it.

Anyways, yes Kim needed help getting the boulders rolling on the temple guardian. But that's not an example of damsel in distress. Hell, it was a smart move for her to try and do that, she just couldn't get it moving without help and that's not really anything against her. I doubt any single ranger would've been able to do it; Tommy needed her help to get it done anyways. But that situation was any different than any of the other rangers in that battle; they took some pot shots and mainly dodged until they all pretty much got a good shot or two in. Hell, if anyone was a damsel in that scene it was Aisha cause she got chased into the little cave and pinned down by the guardian till Rocky saved her by getting it's attention.

As for the zord fight, yes Ivan trapped her but I wouldn't say she was exactly a damsel in distress there either. She was just trapped. And she didn't need Tommy, nor did she call for him, nor did he even save her at all during that battle. She was trapped and couldn't get free, then Aisha told her to use her boosters which she did and shot away out of Ivan's hold. I mean if you really wanna go for it sure, she was stuck but all she needed was a suggestion and she was able to free herself. Not that big a deal.

Hell, Adam spent basically the entire battle tonguing Scorpitron, Billy biting it's tail, but effectively doing nothing. Rocky was giving Hornitor hugs, which it clearly didn't mind. It liked Rocky more than Aisha who's attempt at advances was rebuffed soundly. So I wouldn't really say Kim was a damsel there. And she kicked butt the same amount as every other character. Well except Tommy who get the kill shots on the Oozmen, guardians, Scorpitron...eh think that's it.


Either way though, Kim somehow being reduced to only a damsel and constantly crying for Tommy in the movie is overblown. The other rangers all got pinned down, or otherwise knocked around no real different than her. The only real moment was the triceratops fight but it wasn't any more than Aisha at least in that scene, and the other guys didn't help much cause they either dodged and ran, or were knocked out. She wasn't really a damsel in the guardian fight, in fact she came up with a smart strategy to get her opponent, just was having a hard time with out help but no different than anyone else in the same situation. She was actually smart about fighting it, the only person to match her was Billy when he saved Adam causing the one to chop the other.

On another note about the movie, the goofs still make me chuckle. Twice during their rollerblading scene where they're jumping and land out of order. Like the last time as they come to the construction site you see Tommy and Kim jump, then Billy, Rocky, and Adam in succession but when it cuts to them landing Billy lands then suddenly Aisha is there before Rocky and Adam. Just silly. Or at the temple when they get their powers and the glowing animals spirits are flying around them and they got Adam and Billy's swapped. That one probably amuses me the most. And now, which surprises me cause I never thought about it before, I'm curious if anyone's done fan art of Dulcea as a ranger with an owl theme.
You’re trying to make logic and sense as to why Kim was a damsel, which is fine, but that doesnt change the fact that it was mostly Kim that kept getting trapped, kidnapped, or just screaming Tommy’s name the most out of any other character in the film.
mmprfan09 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:54 AM #3388
Storm Eagle's Avatar
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,934
Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,934



PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

^I’m sure Fox Kids and Disney’s networks thought it worthless to do reruns of a trilogy promoting a show that didn’t exist anymore
What the hell ever. I'm just glad I can see every episode again.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:23 AM #3389
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,411
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,411



SgtReed24 wrote: View Post

Yeah... hiding in the ribcage, while yelling for Tommy, is basically the definition of Damsel.
Indeed. The whole point of the movie was how awesome Tommy is and they can't do anything without him ... but they chose how to frame that. Where was Rocky getting kidnapped by a Tenga? Where was Billy being chased by a monster who needed to be specifically rescued by Tommy? How many times were Aisha and Adam in perilous situations and they responded by screaming out, "Tommy!"?

Nope, that was all Kim. Every single time.
Peter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:41 AM #3390
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,557
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,557



mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

You’re trying to make logic and sense as to why Kim was a damsel, which is fine, but that doesnt change the fact that it was mostly Kim that kept getting trapped, kidnapped, or just screaming Tommy’s name the most out of any other character in the film.
No I'm saying she really wasn't. And it does matter in some cases as to why. Like her /one/ time yelling for Tommy, well duh she was going to yell for him she just watched the other rangers run or get knocked out, there was no one left so it makes sense. That's different than her just yelling for Tommy for no reason. People seem to make such a big deal out of that and it makes no sense to. And her character wasn't suddenly drastically changed from how she was in the show, she was still kicked butt. The other rangers were hard pressed just the same throughout the movie.
Alitain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:45 AM #3391
big smile's Avatar
> big smile
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,603
big smile
Power Ranger
big smile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,603



PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

^I’m sure Fox Kids and Disney’s networks thought it worthless to do reruns of a trilogy promoting a show that didn’t exist anymore
I think it was probably a rights issue probably with the Kamen Rider footage. In the UK for awhile they would swap the trilogy with other episodes and then a couple of years they brought them back.
big smile is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:46 AM #3392
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,557
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,557



SgtReed24 wrote: View Post

Yeah... hiding in the ribcage, while yelling for Tommy, is basically the definition of Damsel. lol

It didn't fit her character at all imo. Nor did most of the ninja fights fit the Rangers in that movie.
I didn't disagree about the triceratops fight, but some people were blowing things out of proportion making it seem like that's all she did in the film and it wasn't true. One real point of being trapped and in trouble doesn't suddenly make her out of character. She's not immune to being in trouble or anything.

Though I did mention how that triceratops fight was bad, thinking about it now, given yeah how all the rangers acted. Well all but Tommy and Rocky, even if Rocky was immediately knocked out at least he was on point for trying to do something other than run. I did laugh a bit though when Billy's facing it and high tails it, leaving Aisha in the crosshairs and imagining her smacking Billy for it later.
Alitain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:56 AM #3393
Judge Joker's Avatar
> Judge Joker
Repulsive
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,558
4
Judge Joker
Repulsive
Judge Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,558
4



It happened three times in a two-hour movie.

First was when she was lifted away by a Tengu. She screamed for Tommy.
Second was in the rib-cage. She screamed for Tommy.
Third was when she scurried away from one of the temple guardians. She was rescued by Tommy.

Three times in a two hour movie. She was a fucking damsel.
Judge Joker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 07:09 AM #3394
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,411
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,411



Judge Joker wrote: View Post

It happened three times in a two-hour movie.
Four times if you count the zord battle and, "Tommy get your butt down here!" But people's mileage varies on that one.
Peter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 07:56 AM #3395
SgtReed24's Avatar
> SgtReed24
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 978
SgtReed24
Power Ranger
SgtReed24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 978



Alitain wrote: View Post

I didn't disagree about the triceratops fight, but some people were blowing things out of proportion making it seem like that's all she did in the film and it wasn't true. One real point of being trapped and in trouble doesn't suddenly make her out of character. She's not immune to being in trouble or anything.

Though I did mention how that triceratops fight was bad, thinking about it now, given yeah how all the rangers acted. Well all but Tommy and Rocky, even if Rocky was immediately knocked out at least he was on point for trying to do something other than run. I did laugh a bit though when Billy's facing it and high tails it, leaving Aisha in the crosshairs and imagining her smacking Billy for it later.
It's not that her being trapped or in trouble was out of character. That happened a lot to her in the show. Comes with being the pretty/popular one I guess. (Rita was jealous of her a lot and Zedd wanted to make her his queen lol)

But, it's the way it was shown. Literally on the ground, crawling backwards with a helpless expression screaming for Tommy. That's just pathetic for a veteran ranger of over a hundred battles at that point. That's more like a civilian than a ranger.

Same with Billy just bolting, or Aisha running. That's not how a veteran ranger should act. They would probably dodge and evade trying to figure a weakness and attack all at once.

I suppose the reasoning for this (outside of the movie being to promote white ranger) could be attributed to it being an "alternate timeline" since it doesn't take place in the continuity of the show. Meaning the Rangers in that timeline could have all been carried by Tommy ever since the beginning.
SgtReed24 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 10:41 AM #3396
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 73,166
hasbro_primo
Net Brutality
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 73,166



Peter wrote: View Post

Four times if you count the zord battle and, "Tommy get your butt down here!" But people's mileage varies on that one.
I put that one squarely in the "now you're fucking up my shit" category, along with the time she cursed him out when they tripped over the magic rope and god I love that scene...
hasbro_primo is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 03:52 PM #3397
PineapplePizza's Avatar
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 770
PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
PineapplePizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 770



“Tommy get your butt down here” just came off to me as the second-in-command calling on the leader.


Doesn’t change the part when Kim gets abducted by a Tenga and is screaming for Tommy’s help

Or when Kim gets backed into the dinosaur’s ribcage

Or when Kim couldn’t do jack shit against the stone guardian and needed Tommy’s help with the boulder


Incidentally I think I remember reading somewhere the people who worked on the movie weren’t part of the show’s staff and researched the show by watching various episodes on fast forward. I wonder if their entire frame of reference for Kim was Bloom of Doom and Calamity Kimberly? Hell the Pteradactyl Thunderwhip seemed to be based on the ribbon Zordon gave her in Bloom of Doom


Or when she gets trapped in Ooze’s electric vortex and needed help getting out



Kim was objectively a useless damsel in distress in the movie
PineapplePizza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:30 PM #3398
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,411
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 28,411



hasso_primo wrote: View Post

I put that one squarely in the "now you're fucking up my shit" category, along with the time she cursed him out when they tripped over the magic rope and god I love that scene...
Which episode was that? I don't remember that one.
Peter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:34 PM #3399
PineapplePizza's Avatar
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 770
PineapplePizza
Power Ranger
PineapplePizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 770



^I think I remember that episode. Tommy and Kim were running for class president and Squatt and Baboo makes them trip a magic rope that turns them against each other and Zordon makes them smell roses to break the spell.

I think?
PineapplePizza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2018, 05:45 PM #3400
StriderXanthos's Avatar
> StriderXanthos
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 970
StriderXanthos
Banned
StriderXanthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 970



Peter wrote: View Post

Which episode was that? I don't remember that one.
"Best man for the job", my god that episode was hilarious.
https://www.watchcartoononline.com/m...an-for-the-job
StriderXanthos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 

Connect