Home Menu

Menu

Old July 13th, 2018, 05:05 AM #3381
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

IMTIRED wrote: View Post

Lieutenant (I refuse to call him Jerome) Stone is last seen when? I don't recall him ever appearing during In Space.
That's because he's not involved in PRIS. "Chase into Space part I" in Turbo is his final episode.

So why do you refuse to call him Jerome?
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 05:17 AM #3382
> big smile
Power Ranger

big smile
Power Ranger

Chase into Space is classic Lynn, in that's highly engaging, thrilling and pushes the envelope. Yet if you look at it carefully, there's loads that doesn't work well.

Bye Blue Sentaurian! Bye poorly conceived plot device lady.
The scene of them leaving should have come before the Zord fight. Because now the Blue Centurion proves once again how useless he is as he lets the Rangers loses their Zords and does nothing to help.

There was actually footage of the Robo Racer battling Divatox's space base, with both being destroyed, which would have been a nice way to tie up both lose ends.

I think TJ is showing he might not have been the best candidate for team leader.
The worst thing is that after he destroys Rescue Megazord, he then suddenly remembers he has the Turbo Megazord. They should have spliced in some footage of him summoning the Turbo Megazord at the start but it getting damaged, because the way the battle happens just makes TJ seem uncharacteristically reckless.

Rygog & Elgar are officially Goldar & Rito all over again. Cool shot of them finding the Power Chamber.
The worst thing about Chase is that there's no build up to it. Rygog & Elgar suddenly become competent. It's quite the 360 turn around.

Unlike you, I really enjoyed the episodes before Chase (such as "Little Strong Man" and "The Rival Rangers") but I wish they had also been used to set up things for Chase.

Carranger did an excellent job of this, so I am surprised they went in the opposite direction.
big smile is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 06:16 AM #3383
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Well at Least Tj tried to use some type of strategy instead of relying on zordon like Jason and Tommy.

Jason and Tommy both made reckless calls before, tommy lost the thunderzords and jason was lucky alpha and zordon figured out a way to beat cyclopsis. Wasnt even Jason’s idea.
mmprfan09 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 06:36 AM #3384
> ⚡Dyl
Install Megaranger!

eBay
Dyl
Install Megaranger!

eBay

Totally off topic, but one thing that always baffled me is the MMPR finale when the command center blows up. Why does billy randomly jump on top of a control panel like he's trying to save it (While it's blowing up)? At first it looks like he's trying to save alpha which would've made so much more sense.

It doesn't make sense on any level that he'd risk his life for the control panel.
Dyl is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 07:00 AM #3385
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

He just ... he loved that control panel.

big smile wrote: View Post

Chase into Space is classic Lynn, in that's highly engaging, thrilling and pushes the envelope. Yet if you look at it carefully, there's loads that doesn't work well.
My only issue with the first half of "Chase into Space" is the deus ex machina-ness of Goldgoyle. He comes out of nowhere as the strongest monster ever and exists for no other reason than to whittle the Rangers' resources down, bit by bit.

And people often raise Divatox for her grand victory in this two-parter, but the contrivedness of Goldgoyle robs her of any of that, from me. He was a hired mercenary who appeared one day to do a job. Why didn't she hire him thirty episodes ago? Why didn't the Machine Empire hire him? Or Rita, or Zedd?

It was like, okay, the raid on the Power Chamber only works if the Rangers' arsenal is gone, so that's what "Part 1" has to accomplish by hook or by crook. I didn't care for it at the time, and I still don't.
Peter is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 07:09 AM #3386
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Dyl wrote: View Post

Totally off topic, but one thing that always baffled me is the MMPR finale when the command center blows up. Why does billy randomly jump on top of a control panel like he's trying to save it (While it's blowing up)? At first it looks like he's trying to save alpha which would've made so much more sense.

It doesn't make sense on any level that he'd risk his life for the control panel.
The way mmpr ended as a whole was stupid.

Their last battle was losing to tengas and they lost their power coins by goldar simply just snatching them out of Tommy’s hands.

The bridge between alien rangers and zeo the writers were just like “fuck it” it seems. Aisha didnt even get an on screen sendoff.
Old July 13th, 2018, 07:18 AM #3387
> big smile
Power Ranger

big smile
Power Ranger

I think we've mentioned it before, but I always thought MMPR should have ended with a showdown between the Rangers and Rita/Zedd with Rita/Zedd finally destroying them. Maybe with Rita/Zedd even bringing back the dark badges to form their own evil Power Team.

Peter wrote: View Post

My only issue with the first half of "Chase into Space" is the deus ex machina-ness of Goldgoyle. He comes out of nowhere as the strongest monster ever and exists for no other reason than to whittle the Rangers' resources down, bit by bit.
Yeah, CarRranger did a much better job of this. Although Goldgoyle unused form from CarRanger was supposed to be the Dark Spector in PRiS, so perhaps they had more planned.
big smile is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 10:09 AM #3388
> Michele234
Power Ranger

Michele234
Power Ranger

I always thought he was trying to stop Alpha from teleporting the rangers out. The rangers wanted to stay and help and didn’t want to abandon ship. Zordon told Alpha to teleport them out despite the rangers’ calls of “no!” So Billy tried to stop the teleporting out of the rangers.

That’s how I’ve understood it anyhow.
Michele234 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 10:19 AM #3389
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

I still think the talk of the 2nd half being better than the first is a reach.
I don't think anyone says better as much as free of entanglement. There's no "badassery" being lost because the newbies have yet to establish their characters.

Lieutenant (I refuse to call him Jerome) Stone is last seen when?
Who calls him Jerome? Even the characters still used the Lt. title despite him no longer being a cop.

We really need to discuss the whole "Self-destruct the Rescue Megazord" idea. I think this was a little hasty and foolish.

"Aw man, it didn't work"--uh seriously, that's it? Do you realize we don't just have hundreds of Zords laying around to be sacrificed?

His new idea is to destroy the Turbo RAM. I think TJ is showing he might not have been the best candidate for team leader.
While the whole thing definitely felt rushed, their hopes were imploding by the minute. When you're out in the field, when the world is in danger, you don't have time to go over the variables or worry about what comes after. Golgoyle was the threat right then, you throw everything at him or he kills you. This was probably the most realistic combat scenario Power Rangers ever ended up presenting.

And remember, destroying the Turbo R.A.M. worked.

My favorite part of that was laughing at how dumb he was when it happened, then learning a year later that the only reason he wasn't the Gold Ranger because he absorbed too many negative ions doing that one dumb thing I remembered. XD

Peter wrote: View Post

And people often raise Divatox for her grand victory in this two-parter, but the contrivedness of Goldgoyle robs her of any of that, from me. He was a hired mercenary who appeared one day to do a job. Why didn't she hire him thirty episodes ago? Why didn't the Machine Empire hire him? Or Rita, or Zedd?
Considering it's Divatox, maybe she didn't want to share the profits if he survived? Or maybe she wanted the victory to be due to her army alone until she got beaten so many times she stopped caring and just let hired help do it?

I agree with you and I'm not making any excuses, but if we go into the big book of "Why didn't you do that at the beginning?", a lot of villains suffer.
hasbro_primo is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 11:55 AM #3390
> Chiron723
Power Ranger

Chiron723
Power Ranger

Alitain wrote: View Post

Rescued once by Tommy. Just once specifically him. Only called for him that once, during the triceratops battle. The boulder wasn't so much a rescue as just needing some help, help which Tommy needed himself getting the boulder moving anyways so he was no different in that situation. Billy ran from his guardian and jumped on the log to get away from it. It was only luck(or good timing), that his attempt to rescue Adam who had been chased around and was currently pinned between two guardians ready to likely be skewered resulted in the death of one of them. Aisha basically spent her time running from the guardian and hiding in a hole till she legitimately needed rescuing and called for help, after that she didn't do anything more than hit them a couple times. Rocky tried jumping on one and ended up nearly falling off the cliff and actually needed Adam to save him by pulling him up.

It's about getting the context. You're making it out to seem like all Kim did was scream for Tommy and stand uselessly during the movie, which just wasn't the case.
Yeah the temple guardian scene everyone was just running and dodging until they found an opportunity to take one out. No one was especially good in that fight. Barring Tommy but even then it was only the final hit, otherwise he was no more impressive than the others.

Though was it just me or was Aiesha especially bad in the movie? She didn't do much in the Oozemen fight (aside from the glorified flashlights that were the powerbeam), she was especially bad on Phados running and hiding regardless of the threat, and in the Zord fight she was not putting up that great of a fight. Honestly she may have not called out anyone out for help, but she was infinitely more 'damsel in distress" than Kim was in the movie.
Chiron723 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 02:44 PM #3391
> Superanger
It's time to change

Superanger
It's time to change

FightingDreamer wrote: View Post

What I think is really neat about In Space is how it's the culmination, planned or not, of something grand. We've been with some variation on these characters and setting for three seasons of Mighty Morphin', Zeo, Turbo, and this..
When I re-watched it on Netflix you could feel the season was pushing towards to a series finales. Zordon Kidnapped, all villains together, Command Center destroyed. However, it seems that it was planned from the beginning to be the end:

No one announced it, but the general consensus was that PRiS was going to be the show's last year. Ratings had been in a gentle fall since MMPR, the Turbo movie flopped in theaters (but made money on video) and the 12 year old ranger hadn't given the ratings hike everyone wanted- he was dumped in the Turbo finale. Space would have a lower budget than Turbo.
None of which mattered, because this year, Chip crowed, the Sentai has given us everything we could ask for! Have you seen these early pictures? The robots are spaceships? They ride fling jet-things! My god- we can turn this series into a war in space with no effort at all, and tie off everything perfectly! The Sentai had handed them everything they ever wanted, the Rangers were high schoolers, just like PR had always done, and they had a team of EVIL RANGERS to fight, the plot PR had wanted to do for 6 years!
https://deriksmith.livejournal.com/4099.html
Superanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 03:29 PM #3392
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

big smile wrote: View Post

I think we've mentioned it before, but I always thought MMPR should have ended with a showdown between the Rangers and Rita/Zedd with Rita/Zedd finally destroying them. Maybe with Rita/Zedd even bringing back the dark badges to form their own evil Power Team.

Yeah, CarRranger did a much better job of this. Although Goldgoyle unused form from CarRanger was supposed to be the Dark Spector in PRiS, so perhaps they had more planned.
Well Goldgoyle's Sentai counterpart was the main villain, so yeah.
Virus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 03:41 PM #3393
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

Without having seen Chase into Space perhaps it would have been better to have made Goldgoyle Dark Spectar and have him destroy the Megazords and then disappear to go conquer Eltar?

Would have solved the Diabolo ex machina and the issue of them reusing Maligore’s costume for Dark Spectar
PineapplePizza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 04:49 PM #3394
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Chiron723 wrote: View Post

Yeah the temple guardian scene everyone was just running and dodging until they found an opportunity to take one out. No one was especially good in that fight. Barring Tommy but even then it was only the final hit, otherwise he was no more impressive than the others.

Though was it just me or was Aiesha especially bad in the movie? She didn't do much in the Oozemen fight (aside from the glorified flashlights that were the powerbeam), she was especially bad on Phados running and hiding regardless of the threat, and in the Zord fight she was not putting up that great of a fight. Honestly she may have not called out anyone out for help, but she was infinitely more 'damsel in distress" than Kim was in the movie.
Not doing much is not the same as crying out for help every single time shit gets rough

In the oozeman fight Aisha was actually winning until she became out numbered. Then Billy came in for the assist. She didnt call for anyone’s help either.

And it was her idea to kill ivan ooze in the megazord battle. And going off your logic, Aisha was the one who saved Kim in that zord battle as well. If not Ivan ooze would have fried her.

Kim was the damsel.
Old July 13th, 2018, 05:22 PM #3395
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

hasso_primo wrote: View Post

I agree with you and I'm not making any excuses, but if we go into the big book of "Why didn't you do that at the beginning?", a lot of villains suffer.
The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just don't consider that Divatox's victory when she outsourced to a Diabolo Ex Machina.

Even if I never did like the Turbo zords.

The Rescue zords, OTOH?
Old July 13th, 2018, 05:37 PM #3396
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

I've been disappointed by the last few Power Rangers Turbo episodes I've watched. Considering what is about to transpire, "Little Strong Man" and "The Rival Rangers" are just painfully fillery fluff. I guess I accepted "Little Strong Man" as Justin's final spotlight episode (True Blue To The Rescue not included) but I still think the talk of the 2nd half being better than the first is a reach. The first half set up a few interesting plots that the 2nd have dumps in favor of filler.
I was listening to the RangerDanger podcast and those last few Turbo episodes are something special. Everyone talks about Mad Mike and the pizza, but "Cassie's best friend" and "Little Strong Man" are a special case of wtf. An episode where Cassie develops an almost romantic relationship with her dog turned human and another one where an ant gives Justin super strength. Just a random ant.
GokaiGold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 05:46 PM #3397
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

GokaiGold wrote: View Post

I was listening to the RangerDanger podcast and those last few Turbo episodes are something special. Everyone talks about Mad Mike and the pizza, but "Cassie's best friend" and "Little Strong Man" are a special case of wtf.
On the other hand, I felt that the meaty superhero plot (of Divatox assembling her three Divazords) was handled really badly, but I liked everything else about those last few Turbo episodes.

I thought "Little Strong Man" was really sweet, touching on Justin's insecurities about wanting to belong.
Old July 13th, 2018, 07:39 PM #3398
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

Kim was reduced to just Tommy’s girlfriend who could do backflips.
Hey now, Billy could do backflips too. A lot of them, an unnecessary and awkward form of travel amount of them heh.

Chiron723 wrote: View Post

I wouldn't say bad, not much worse than any of the others really. They all were getting their butts kicked in the Oozeman fight until they morphed. Her worst moment was the guardian fight cause she ran in the cave yelling for help to which Rocky had to get the guardian's attention for her to escape. Then it was the same combat as the others, random hits and dodging but nothing more. Everyone was running except Rocky and Tommy in the triceratops fight so I don't hold that one against her really, or at least it evens out since the others were on the same level pretty much.

Last edited by Alitain; July 13th, 2018 at 07:39 PM.
Alitain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 07:42 PM #3399
> PRFAN1013
Power Ranger

PRFAN1013
Power Ranger

Halfway through RPM, still amazed that it's Power Rangers. I do think that the behind the scenes episode was unnecessary, but love Dr. K's backstory. I almost cried. "I just wanted to go outside!"
PRFAN1013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 08:24 PM #3400
> Buddy2814
VIP Rider

Buddy2814
VIP Rider

PRFAN1013 wrote: View Post

Halfway through RPM, still amazed that it's Power Rangers. I do think that the behind the scenes episode was unnecessary, but love Dr. K's backstory. I almost cried. "I just wanted to go outside!"
I actually liked the behind the scenes episode, but would have preferred if it were at the end of the season rather than in between normal episodes. But for what it was, I did enjoy it more than similar filler clip shows and holiday specials.
Buddy2814 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote