Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:31 AM #41
timegold's Avatar
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,014
timegold
Destroyer of Particles
timegold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,014



Dukemon wrote: View Post

We also had JAKQ. 4 is definitely an unlucky number in Japan, but as long as the number 4 isn't actually being said, it's not something they care about. And the team wouldn't stay 4 for very long anyway.
But... Shishi Red was always getting lucky.

[/sarcasm]
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:32 AM #42
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
> Otokusastu Zetto
♥ Worship our LupinKudo ♥
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,610
Otokusastu Zetto
♥ Worship our LupinKudo ♥
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,610



HowlingSnail wrote: View Post

Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger.
Not exactly like Akibaranger because this one is too parodic ^^
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:38 AM #43
HowlingSnail's Avatar
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,806
HowlingSnail
Power Ranger
HowlingSnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,806



timegold wrote: View Post

But... Shishi Red was always getting lucky.

[/sarcasm]
I'll have you know the stories about Takumi and Sakurako were only rumours!
HowlingSnail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:38 AM #44
> ⚡Dukemon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 16,777
Dukemon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 16,777



timegold wrote: View Post

But... Shishi Red was always getting lucky.

[/sarcasm]
Ha. Points.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:41 AM #45
Digifiend's Avatar
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,037
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop
Digifiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,037



Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

Why number 7 ?
They mentioned a countdown, but they're seeing something that's not there. Kyu had nine rangers - but they gained three more later. LuPat seems to have eight rangers - but the two sixths are actually the same person! That means it really has seven rangers. It's not 9, 8. It's 12, 7. The pattern doesn't exist.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:44 AM #46
Merlin's Avatar
> Merlin
The Burning Flame Element
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25,703
Merlin
The Burning Flame Element
Merlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25,703



Dukemon wrote: View Post

Martial Arts would fall into the fantasy category for Super Sentai, except for maybe Maskman, where it's kind of both sci-fi and fantasy. I'd be down for that.
I doubt we're going to get another mixed team of "international" martial artists. That hasn't been repeated since Ohranger, and the martial arts themselves weren't the focus of the series. Even in Maskman, meditation and the Aura Power was really the height of where they took the theme. The old teams didn't embrace that cultural paradigm as strongly as later seasons did. The arts were just something they used, against villains who had nothing to do with martial arts.

Chinese martial arts are elevated though. The influence of Chinese culture and folklore on Japan is so large that they're able to create entire seasons around it, two already nearly as much as ninjutsu. Shinkenger and the ninja seasons were tributes to Japanese culture as well as fighting arts. Through Dairanger and Gekiranger, China is the only country outside Japan that was given series with the same attention to cultural dynamics and folklore. Gekiranger is one big sendup to Chinese mythology.

They're not keen on doing that for mixed martial seasons because that would involve blending the cultures of several areas of the world at once and it would get sticky. And we seem to be out of the 80s when the martial arts are just a random thing used against unrelated villains.
Merlin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 11:47 AM #47
Ataruman's Avatar
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,689
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger
Ataruman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,689



I wouldn't mind an international martial arts style series (40th of BFJ too), but if it does focus on technique. Just have it be variety: even if Red is Japan, have the Chinese Ranger, Brazillian Capoiera, Muai Thai, a Korean style; maybe a Russian or Israeli style...sort of good variety.

Heck, if that's the focus then make the threat a true global threat; they sort of tried that with the Deboth in Kyoryuger but it really never felt global no matter how hard they tried to push it.
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:04 PM #48
tavionjackson's Avatar
> tavionjackson
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,766
tavionjackson
Power Ranger
tavionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,766



Digifiend wrote: View Post

They mentioned a countdown, but they're seeing something that's not there. Kyu had nine rangers - but they gained three more later. LuPat seems to have eight rangers - but the two sixths are actually the same person! That means it really has seven rangers. It's not 9, 8. It's 12, 7. The pattern doesn't exist.
Zyuohger had 10 animals in the show, Kyuranger had nine core members, Lupinranger vs Patranger has eight rangers already, power wise, but will possibly have eight characters as rangers based on the hacks.
tavionjackson is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:05 PM #49
HowlingSnail's Avatar
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,806
HowlingSnail
Power Ranger
HowlingSnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,806



Even if you only count the numbered mecha, Zyuohger had 11, because of Condor. And that's before the ? and ! ones like Kirin and Kuma. If you're going to give a 10 to Zyuohger, it's in the title.
HowlingSnail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:19 PM #50
maslego's Avatar
> maslego
Idea Ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,041
maslego
Idea Ranger
maslego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,041



tavionjackson wrote: View Post

Zyuohger had 10 animals in the show, Kyuranger had nine core members, Lupinranger vs Patranger has eight rangers already, power wise, but will possibly have eight characters as rangers based on the hacks.
Geeze and people call the Rider number theory a stretch.
maslego is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:21 PM #51
tavionjackson's Avatar
> tavionjackson
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,766
tavionjackson
Power Ranger
tavionjackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,766



Only 10 of the cube animals were linked to ranger powers or forms. Like you said, 10 is in the name.

maslego wrote: View Post

Geeze and people call the Rider number theory a stretch.
How is it a stretch whenís itís pretty obvious.
tavionjackson is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:26 PM #52
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,319
Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,319



Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Well we're coming off a slew of pretty unique takes, I don't really think going back to standards is as likely as people may expect. Team size and aesthetics wise, it's been so long since we had a standard really.
Exactly, way back in Gokaiger to be exact The current target audience has never even seen the standard colors in action, even ToQger didn't really fit the classic color scheme due to the constant line changes.

If the rumor about a female blue is true that means they won't go back to a very traditional team, so I expect anither year of somethimg new even if it's a five man team.
Maybe we'll finally get a male pink.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:33 PM #53
ZackMallory's Avatar
> ZackMallory
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,899
ZackMallory
Power Ranger
ZackMallory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,899



screamqueen wrote: View Post

Two people would never feel like a team to me - more suited to Kamen Rider where the main Rider is often half of a duo. Four is possible, but with an extra Ranger we'd be back up to five and the only show thus far that's had a team of four (JAKQ) didn't do too well
Go-Busters started with 3 and had 2 Rangers following later.. and it didn't do well either. Maybe the Japanese fans seem not to like small casts
ZackMallory is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:37 PM #54
> ⚡Dukemon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 16,777
Dukemon
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 16,777



Merlin wrote: View Post

I doubt we're going to get another mixed team of "international" martial artists. That hasn't been repeated since Ohranger, and the martial arts themselves weren't the focus of the series. Even in Maskman, meditation and the Aura Power was really the height of where they took the theme. The old teams didn't embrace that cultural paradigm as strongly as later seasons did. The arts were just something they used, against villains who had nothing to do with martial arts.

Chinese martial arts are elevated though. The influence of Chinese culture and folklore on Japan is so large that they're able to create entire seasons around it, two already nearly as much as ninjutsu. Shinkenger and the ninja seasons were tributes to Japanese culture as well as fighting arts. Through Dairanger and Gekiranger, China is the only country outside Japan that was given series with the same attention to cultural dynamics and folklore. Gekiranger is one big sendup to Chinese mythology.

They're not keen on doing that for mixed martial seasons because that would involve blending the cultures of several areas of the world at once and it would get sticky. And we seem to be out of the 80s when the martial arts are just a random thing used against unrelated villains.
For sure. Which is why I think an RPG/Isekai show might allow for some interesting blending of motifs, especially when it comes to martial arts. (Have one of the rangers be a ninja, have one be a knight, have one be a gunman, etc.)


ZackMallory wrote: View Post

Go-Busters started with 3 and had 2 Rangers following later.. and it didn't do well either. Maybe the Japanese fans seem not to like small casts
As far as the toys go....there's possibly some truth there. Lupato is pretty well-liked by the adult fans. Go-Busters was liked, but there was some definite concern about the suits being different from the norm at the time. (That since has changed.)
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 01:01 PM #55
kyuparanger's Avatar
> kyuparanger
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,156
kyuparanger
Power Ranger
kyuparanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,156



Iím hoping that we get another martial arts or samurai motif. Also I wouldnít mind if the girls were green and pink.
kyuparanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 01:33 PM #56
Shirubaa's Avatar
> Shirubaa
Mr. Silver
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,750
32 eBay
Shirubaa
Mr. Silver
Shirubaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,750
32 eBay



I hope the 2019 Super Sentai has no girls. It's about time they were dropped from the franchise. They don't do much and never get power ups.
Shirubaa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 01:53 PM #57
screamqueen's Avatar
> screamqueen
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 324
screamqueen
Power Ranger
screamqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 324



There is a reason why Sun Vulcan's example hasn't been repeated: because even in the 1980s people questioned a team with no women. Toei seems to like to have at least one each year for the sake of female viewers (they exist - notice there are quite a few little girls each week in the ED videos people submitted for Kyoryuger and Zyuranger) and to market to the periphery teen/adult audience that likes pretty idol girls. Sentai has always made a point of having female Rangers around, it's less male-centric than Kamen Rider - and I don't think that just having a woman in the supporting cast would work as well. She'd naturally get less focus, and people like the "action girl" element

Last edited by screamqueen; August 13th, 2018 at 02:00 PM.
screamqueen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 01:59 PM #58
GreenMystechRanger's Avatar
> GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13,346
GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK
GreenMystechRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 13,346



I'm with the group of hoping for another female Blue. It hasn't been that long since we've last had one, but overall we've barely had any.

Fyntabulous wrote: View Post

I have a feeling after the last few years, we're pretty much guaranteed not only a team of 5, but a traditional color format as well. Like R/B/Y/G/P or such.
You're probably right, but I'm still a big fan of the new color lineups we've been getting recently. There's still a bunch of them they haven't tried, so hopefully we get another new one.
GreenMystechRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 02:39 PM #59
> Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,083
Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,083



Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

Why number 7 ?
Well, Kyuranger and Lupato had 7 human actors playing rangers so that might be new trend?

Specially because ToQger, Ninninger and Zyuohger technically had that as well (I'm counting returns specials-exclusive rangers and last-minute rangers like Bud)
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 02:41 PM #60
HowlingSnail's Avatar
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,806
HowlingSnail
Power Ranger
HowlingSnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,806



Ninninger had a total of 10 of those though. Main 6, Grandaddyninger, Daddyninger, Kiddyninger, Midoninger.

Yes I know that's not what they're called but having 4 rangers called Akaninger is boring.
HowlingSnail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
be healthy duke, dino force brave 2, dino knight, dinot again, dragon sentai... loljk, its about to get wild, kyoryuger 2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.