Menu

Closed

Old October 25th, 2018, 01:25 PM #5401
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

KCJ506 wrote: View Post

He was actually. Tommy just didn't morph.
They had to cut out the Green ranger entirely from the episode just so one of the original rangers can have some kind of plot that isnt based on Tommy. Im just saying lol.
Old October 26th, 2018, 01:42 AM #5402
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

After the 100th episode of all of MMPR, Rangers Back in Time, I have mixed feelings. I'm mostly underwhelmed but I'm pleasantly surprised at what I do like.

I still think Adam is a cool character and there's one benefit from watching these seasons out of order, after watching Zeo I think I can say I prefer the shy mute Black Ranger Adam over the chill occasionally snarky Green Ranger Adam. He kinda stands out more here oddly enough.

As much as I love the original five, one thing I think Adam (and Tommy to an extent) has on them is the significant presence of a flaw. Adam is presented as a somewhat flawed character with how timid and awkward he is and it's not presented in a borderline cartoony way like Bulk and Skull or Billy in season one.

However after episode 93 or so things kinda go downhill with Adam, he just falls in line alongside Rocky as a dude who just sorta stands there. Aisha also started as a cool character. Goldar Vice Versa made for a pretty good foundation, I mean a potential rivalry with Scorpina and portaying her as this outgoing sister figure to the more softspoken Adam, it was good stuff but all that kinda went out the window.

Rocky, well....I will say he's a bit more useful than I remember, Red Ranger privileges let him have solo zord battles. That's pretty much it with him, oh and they give him the worst lines. That's another thing, the acting talent has gone down considerably among the main cast. Steve is as awful as JDF, Johnny isn't very good either and Karan always delivers her lines like she's almost yelling, no matter what the emotion. Yost isn't bad but he ain't exactly a master thespian either, and that's exacerbated by the weak cast.

This is what happens when you introduce three new rangers and you don't put much thought into their characters other than "Not Zack", "Not Trini" and "The guy who wears red" and give them episodes that weren't meant for them, you get these mixed results. Especially with Rocky and Aisha where their first spotlight episode is an OUT of character episode and we've barely had a feel of their character yet. Jason and Trini don't usually act like that and we know that and that's why those episodes would have been fun with them but with Rocky and Aisha, it just makes him look ridiculous and makes her seem obnoxious.

I appreciate the effort, like they give Aisha a scene that was meant for Trini but insert lines about stuff like hairspray because that fits Aisha. But then you get stuff like a flashback about Pudgy Pig and of course Rangers Back in Time, where it feels awkward because four of the rangers (including Tommy) shouldn't be present.

As for Billy and Kimberly, it's the same old thing where being the tech guy and the badass leader's girlfriend at least keeps them in some sort of spotlight. And Kimberly finally after over 90 episodes had an episode about gymnastics. (aka the only thing that seperates her from Aisha) The writers were like "Oh yeah, gymnastics is a thing that Kimberly does....let's write an episode about that". And Tommy.....ugh, like I said before I kinda liked him better when he was kind of a scatterbrain, and not a generic leader glory hog.

Last edited by JNTA1234; October 27th, 2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old October 26th, 2018, 06:15 AM #5403
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Season 2 was such a mess. The whole period from "Green No More" to "White Light" was gold to me and some of the best of the franchise. (even with the problems with Jason/Zack/Trini already starting to appear) And then the "peace conference" talk happens and it all just plummets. Sure there are still good things: "When Is a Ranger Not a Ranger?" is one of the best Bulk/Skull eps of the period; and I consider "The Wedding" as way better than it should be and surprisingly up there as one of the best of the season...but otherwise it takes until "Ninja Quest" next season before the quality returns.
The Season 2 the all Green Ranger Arc until Tommy lost is Powers and becames White Ranger it was nice, will be nice if the yhad been take Tommy from the Opening credits but I suppose Tommy eas going to returns later...

Bulk and Skull find out they were the Power Rangers it was nice, because in the finale they save the Rangers, and them forget them.

"The Wedding" with the all change of Lord Zedd to becamed a very dark villan for a children show, because the parents dont liked much of that of is tune.

"Ninja Quest" was a great change for the Power Rangers with the all Zords destroyed and gains the New Powers and Megazords, and later we get a Arc focus in Pink Ranger with the Katherine/Kinberly Arc focus with the Shogun Zords was well done, I liked the interesthing way the writters did for Ninja and Shogun debuts in this season, because in Kakuranger is much diferent.
Old October 26th, 2018, 06:41 AM #5404
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Out of the replacements, Aisha turned out to be the best to me, and ironically she never made it to zeo. Aisha was just a treat to me lol. She was always shouting or getting snappy. I loved that, especially when she hated scorpina.

Adam is boring. He can fight well, had the most “defined” personality, but still boring. He went on to have the longest resume before tommy, so that works for him.

Rocky was boring as well. I always felt that in mmpr, they wanted to make rocky replace zack as the goofball but they kinda pulled back from that until zeo. But what makes him 1+ than adam to me is that Rocky was the red ranger, so he got to do more cool things by default. And yea, between rocky and adam, rocky was still more qualified to wear red. Rocky was always more assertive than adam.
Old October 26th, 2018, 07:06 AM #5405
> Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

I think what made Aisha work is just how she at least did do things and didn't last as long as the other two, plus it really helped she worked well with both Kim and Kat and had some really good stories like "Stop the Hate Master". (seriously, she was the only good thing about that two-parter)

The seeds for Rocky and Adam's developments were there in their few one-shots in season 2...but with so many multi-parters and "franchise-changing moments" clogging up seasons 2 and 3, it's no wonder it waited until Zeo for any of them to bare any fruit.
Old October 26th, 2018, 07:25 AM #5406
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

^ Adam and Rocky in Zeo had there moments, with Adam he becamed the Second in command in Zeo, and we had the chemestry between Adam/Tanya during some of is Arcs...
Old October 26th, 2018, 07:50 AM #5407
> Cammy
This cage demeans us both

Cammy
This cage demeans us both

Ataruman wrote: View Post

I think what made Aisha work is just how she at least did do things and didn't last as long as the other two, plus it really helped she worked well with both Kim and Kat and had some really good stories like "Stop the Hate Master". (seriously, she was the only good thing about that two-parter)
Those episodes, I assume, are an apology for "Where There's Smoke, There's Fire". Oy!! I agree!! She really shone in those; and in "The Sound of Dischordia". Unfortunately, that would be the grand finale for Aisha; but what a way to go!!

That long hiatus and repetition of episodes with the new team was annoying until I finally learned it was because they were filming the first movie. "Rangers Back In Time" was a long-awaited two-parter and first after the power transfer. Then another month or so until The Wedding etc. It got pretty boring fast.
Old October 26th, 2018, 08:06 AM #5408
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Akumaru wrote: View Post

^ Adam and Rocky in Zeo had there moments, with Adam he becamed the Second in command in Zeo, and we had the chemestry between Adam/Tanya during some of is Arcs...

Adam was not second in command, this was confirmed when Jason came back and knocked Rocky out of the pseudo leader spot.

Adam’s sentai counterpart was SIC, but not Adam. What leadership did adam display in zeo? The one time he was alone he relied on tommy (it came from angel grove).
Old October 26th, 2018, 08:17 AM #5409
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

^ The Sixth Ranger in general is the second in command, obvious Jason was going to be there and take the spotlight the moment he becamed Gold Ranger, that is important because when Jason returns, in Youth Center, I remember Jason/Tommy had the conversation about the moment when Jason decided to go away and Tommy becames the Leader, and talking about the Old Days.
Old October 27th, 2018, 05:46 PM #5410
> Zhane
Aussies Rule PR '06 -'09

Zhane
Aussies Rule PR '06 -'09

https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...d1b5173766a282
Old October 27th, 2018, 05:51 PM #5411
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

AJJ wrote:
“Now, despite the fact that this was a non-union television series and I was paid peanuts and almost died a few times because of the makeshift low-budget stunts we performed, I am forever grateful.”
Hmm.

Is it me, or is it genuinely hard to tell how much sarcasm is in that?
Old October 27th, 2018, 07:42 PM #5412
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

So I'm watching RPM, I'll give my thoughts when I finish, but I had a question. Can I skip the behind the scenes episode and miss nothing?
Old October 27th, 2018, 08:35 PM #5413
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

I've completed Mighty Morphin season two aka "The Tommy Oliver d*** sucking fest" and the 1995 movie aka "The Tommy Oliver d*** sucking fest.....on the big screen".

Let me say this, there was a time when I thought the Tommy fatigue was an overreaction because the Tommy hype didn't seem that bad but after the Ninja Steel teamup, the Boom comics and refreshing my memory of these episodes, I am so annoyed!

Honestly as silly as the villains have become and of course Bulk and Skull and their antics, I would honestly rather watch a show about either of those parties than the "Tommy show featuring Kimberly " or "The rangers just stand around while Billy does shit because he's the smart one and Tommy does shit cuz he's Tommy show."

Now the idea of a Green Ranger vs White Ranger episode IS intriguing and it's common sense to make an episode like that (I adore the unmorphed fight in part one btw and fun fact that episode premiered the exact day I was born) but what is this foolishness with everyone being obsessed with Tommy, including the villains? Like "we have to seperate the leader from the rangers and then they'll fall apart". Uh....no. Tommy is as clueless as any ranger not named Billy, if not more. He ain't exactly the mastermind of the operation.

Making him compete for class president? Really? Tommy, the character who's only consistent personality traits are being forgetful, martial arts and being an awkward idiot at anything that isn't martial arts. Seriously? At one point, I think a villain called him "quick witted, wise and strong". Wha.....where? And all the variations of Tommy, Tom, the White Stranger. Tommy destroys five monsters on his own, Tommy takes on Goldar and Scorpina, Tommy suddenly has common sense and keeps his communicator when (fake) Billy tries to take it.

And of course the movie, Tommy finishes off the Oozemen, Tommy defeats the dinosaur, Tommy saves the kids, everybody goes skydiving but that fucking pointless kid Fred and the other rangers praise Tommy for being so cool. Meanwhile, Aisha and the boys are reduced to his helpless lackeys and Kimberly is reduce to his helpless arm candy who turns up the water works and the dramatics when Zordon's dying cuz she's a girly girl and girly girls are emotional, while the other rangers are kinda like "that sucks, oh well" on their faces.

Actually, let me compare that scene to one from Green With Evil for a second. The rangers arrive at Command Center, it's been trashed, Alpha's hurt, Zordon's missing and they just got their butts kicked hard by a new ranger. Not as serious as dying but still a pretty fucked up situation right? Jason is filling up with rage, so much to the point where later he has to take it all out on a punching bag. Zack and Trini are also very visibly upset, because their actors' performances actually convey that, quite well surprisingly. Trini is particularly concerned with Zordon and Alpha's well-being while Zack, as upset as he is, tries to offer support to the other rangers, namely Jason and Kim. Billy is too busy trying to make repairs to really have a reaction and ironically Kimberly seems the least affected by all the crap at the Command Center, probably because she's too focused on Tommy.

It's almost as if they're all different characters, and the way they each talk, act, react and interact as well as their actor's performance actually indicates something about them. Now look at the scene of Zordon finally dying in the movie. Kimberly's putting 20 on 10 with the crying while the other rangers just stand there looking.....kinda sad. (Johnny Bosch isn't even trying) It's a small thing but it's just a perfect example of one of my main issues with this movie and season two in general. Our heroes are just a bunch of bland motherfuckers following around an equally bland motherfucker and kissing his ass. Both this season and the movie became so tedious and irritating, I almost wanted Rita and Zedd/Ivan Ooze to win. In fact the real heroes of this season are everybody who isn't the rangers.

Last edited by JNTA1234; October 28th, 2018 at 12:20 PM.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old October 27th, 2018, 09:59 PM #5414
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

GrumpyBookworm wrote: View Post

So I'm watching RPM, I'll give my thoughts when I finish, but I had a question. Can I skip the behind the scenes episode and miss nothing?
Absolutely, there are no story points for exactly that reason, it's technically a behind-the-scenes special.

But it's just one episode, and so damn funny that it keeps the actors in character the whole time that it's unnecessary to bypass it.
Old October 28th, 2018, 12:49 PM #5415
> GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK

GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK

JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

I've completed Mighty Morphin season two aka "The Tommy Oliver d*** sucking fest" and the 1995 movie aka "The Tommy Oliver d*** sucking fest.....on the big screen".

Let me say this, there was a time when I thought the Tommy fatigue was an overreaction because the Tommy hype didn't seem that bad but after the Ninja Steel teamup, the Boom comics and refreshing my memory of these episodes, I am so annoyed!

Honestly as silly as the villains have become and of course Bulk and Skull and their antics, I would honestly rather watch a show about either of those parties than the "Tommy show featuring Kimberly " or "The rangers just stand around while Billy does shit because he's the smart one and Tommy does shit cuz he's Tommy show."

Now the idea of a Green Ranger vs White Ranger episode IS intriguing and it's common sense to make an episode like that (I adore the unmorphed fight in part one btw and fun fact that episode premiered the exact day I was born) but what is this foolishness with everyone being obsessed with Tommy, including the villains? Like "we have to seperate the leader from the rangers and then they'll fall apart". Uh....no. Tommy is as clueless as any ranger not named Billy, if not more. He ain't exactly the mastermind of the operation.

Making him compete for class president? Really? Tommy, the character who's only consistent personality traits are being forgetful, martial arts and being an awkward idiot at anything that isn't martial arts. Seriously? At one point, I think a villain called him "quick witted, wise and strong". Wha.....where? And all the variations of Tommy, Tom, the White Stranger. Tommy destroys five monsters on his own, Tommy takes on Goldar and Scorpina, Tommy suddenly has common sense and keeps his communicator when (fake) Billy tries to take it.

And of course the movie, Tommy finishes off the Oozemen, Tommy defeats the dinosaur, Tommy saves the kids, everybody goes skydiving but that fucking pointless kid Fred and the other rangers praise Tommy for being so cool. Meanwhile, Aisha and the boys are reduced to his helpless lackeys and Kimberly is reduce to his helpless arm candy who turns up the water works and the dramatics when Zordon's dying cuz she's a girly girl and girly girls are emotional, while the other rangers are kinda like "that sucks, oh well" on their faces.

Actually, let me compare that scene to one from Green With Evil for a second. The rangers arrive at Command Center, it's been trashed, Alpha's hurt, Zordon's missing and they just got their butts kicked hard by a new ranger. Not as serious as dying but still a pretty fucked up situation right? Jason is filling up with rage, so much to the point where later he has to take it all out on a punching bag. Zack and Trini are also very visibly upset, because their actors' performances actually convey that, quite well surprisingly. Trini is particularly concerned with Zordon and Alpha's well-being while Zack, as upset as he is, tries to offer support to the other rangers, namely Jason and Kim. Billy is too busy trying to make repairs to really have a reaction and ironically Kimberly seems the least affected by all the crap at the Command Center, probably because she's too focused on Tommy.

It's almost as if they're all different characters, and the way they each talk, act, react and interact as well as their actor's performance actually indicates something about them. Now look at the scene of Zordon finally dying in the movie. Kimberly's putting 20 on 10 with the crying while the other rangers just stand there looking.....kinda sad. (Johnny Bosch isn't even trying) It's a small thing but it's just a perfect example of one of my main issues with this movie and season two in general. Our heroes are just a bunch of bland motherfuckers following around an equally bland motherfucker and kissing his ass. Both this season and the movie became so tedious and irritating, I almost wanted Rita and Zedd/Ivan Ooze to win. In fact the real heroes of this season are everybody who isn't the rangers.
...But the Thunderzords sure were cool.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old October 28th, 2018, 12:53 PM #5416
> Judge Joker
Repulsive

Judge Joker
Repulsive

I wonder if the White Stranger used to be called the Green Stranger, but changed his name after he accidentally spilled bleach on his hat.

GrumpyBookworm wrote: View Post

No, because then you miss the hilarity of Col. Truman walking into a door.

But seriously, the gag reel in that episode is a ton of fun. Story wise it offers nothing though.
Old October 28th, 2018, 12:57 PM #5417
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

GreenMystechRanger wrote: View Post

You know what, in all seriousness, the huge cannon thingy that kinda functioned as "Power Blaster 2.0" was pretty cool too. So points for that stuff.....I guess.
Old October 28th, 2018, 01:38 PM #5418
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

You know what, in all seriousness, the huge cannon thingy that kinda functioned as "Power Blaster 2.0" was pretty cool too.
The only cool part was the recoil when it fired threw the Rangers off balance.
Old October 28th, 2018, 02:27 PM #5419
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

GreenMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Eh besides red dragon , tor, and white tiger the rest of them were dead weight.
Old October 28th, 2018, 02:32 PM #5420
> GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK

GreenMystechRanger
JusticeForK

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

Eh besides red dragon , tor, and white tiger the rest of them were dead weight.
Design wise, they were awesome.

Power wise... yeah, they weren't great.
Closed