Home Menu

Menu

Old October 8th, 2018, 08:44 PM #2941
> John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

I just realized that history has repeated itself in a subtle, yet interesting way.

In 2009, the Ninja Turtles celebrated their 25th anniversary. The festivities were interrupted slightly when the franchise was sold to a new owner (in this case, Viacom/ Nickelodeon).

Now, in 2018, the Power Rangers are celebrating their 25th anniversary. And the festivities have been interrupted slightly now that the franchise has been sold to a new owner (in this case, Hasbro).
John Pannozzi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2018, 03:22 PM #2942
> Theagames10
VIP Rider

Theagames10
VIP Rider

LA Comic Con will be having a panel for the 25th anniversary on Sunday, October 28!
Special Guests include Austin St John, Walter Jones, Karan Ashley, and David J. Fielding!

http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2018/1...8-to-host.html
Theagames10 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2018, 03:47 PM #2943
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

Theagames10 wrote: View Post

LA Comic Con will be having a panel for the 25th anniversary on Sunday, October 28!
Special Guests include Austin St John, Walter Jones, Karan Ashley, and David J. Fielding!

http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2018/1...8-to-host.html
And bonus guests Richard Horvitz and Wally Wingert, even though they're not there for Power Rangers.

Last edited by hasbro_primo; October 17th, 2018 at 04:59 PM.
hasbro_primo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2018, 05:14 PM #2944
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

big smile wrote: View Post

You made me go down memory lane. Here are some fond memories of PR in the UK:
The Australian network (with the rights to PR) did the same thing.

They cut entire episodes, and some episodes were butchered and hacked up beyond recognition.

It was ridiculous, and I actually personally called the network and asked them, "What the hell?" but that's what happened.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 12:37 AM #2945
> big smile
Power Ranger

big smile
Power Ranger

Peter wrote: View Post

The Australian network (with the rights to PR) did the same thing..
As I understand it, you guys got it worse, as they'd cut out scenes and then replay other scenes in the same episode to fill the missing time.

Peter wrote: View Post

It was ridiculous, and I actually personally called the network and asked them, "What the hell?" but that's what happened.
I used to call the UK network and email them. They insisted it was to comply with UK regulations, which wasn't true.

In the early days of Fox Kids, if you contacted them, they would send over some awesome gifts. I got a Fox Kids Cap, photocopies of the Why Why Family promotional bible, pens and Power Rangers posters. I asked for the Power Rangers promo bible, but they wouldn't send it.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 04:30 AM #2946
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

big smile wrote: View Post

As I understand it, you guys got it worse, as they'd cut out scenes and then replay other scenes in the same episode to fill the missing time.
I had never seen "The Rescue Mission" or the Lightspeed finale until I bought the Shout! DVDs. True story.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2018, 06:38 AM #2947
> big smile
Power Ranger

big smile
Power Ranger

Seeing the episodes on uncut is a particular highlight of the Shout DVDs (Too bad the picture quality is so compressed and down right poor in some seasons!). I can't wait until I get to Timeforce.

Thankfully, the only episode that was completely banned in the UK was Full Exposure. Go Volcanic was banned on Fox Kids UK, but was shown once on ITV.
Old October 18th, 2018, 09:24 AM #2948
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Yeah "Full Exposure" is also the only episode of TF to have shots cut entirely (rather than replaced by generic explosions) due to the post-9/11 edits. The whole "panicked civilians inside an office building" thing was a hard "no" at the time.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old October 19th, 2018, 01:04 AM #2949
> big smile
Power Ranger

big smile
Power Ranger

Surprisingly, 9/11 didn't have too much of an impact on Fox Kids UK. They pulled all episodes with exploding buildings for a month and that was it. After the month was over, they left in all the references that were removed in the US, such as the Rangers talking about the Trade Center, Ransik's speech and the shot of the Time Shadow on the twin towers. (Full Exposure was pulled before 9/11 so that remained unaired).
Old October 19th, 2018, 06:08 AM #2950
> DekaRed
Plus Ultra!

DekaRed
Plus Ultra!

ITV pissed me off by missing out the middle of Turbo. I remember the last episode it aired before taking a break was "Honey I shrunk the Rangers". Then when it came back the first episode aired was either "The Darkest Day" or "One last hope". I remember being extremely confused and annoyed at just the opening credits, with all these new people claiming to be the rangers, but I'd only vaguely seen two of them before.
DekaRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2018, 01:41 AM #2951
> bushwacka666
We all like a bit of bush

bushwacka666
We all like a bit of bush

DekaRed wrote: View Post

ITV pissed me off by missing out the middle of Turbo. I remember the last episode it aired before taking a break was "Honey I shrunk the Rangers". Then when it came back the first episode aired was either "The Darkest Day" or "One last hope". I remember being extremely confused and annoyed at just the opening credits, with all these new people claiming to be the rangers, but I'd only vaguely seen two of them before.
Wow. I'd missed a lot of Turbo on ITV as a kid, so I also remember being confused when I suddenly saw a whole bunch of new Rangers I'd never seen before and wondering where the hell the old characters went.

All this time I just figured "Passing The Torch" was amongst the many episodes I hadn't watched, but you're telling me it never aired in the first place?
bushwacka666 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:03 AM #2952
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

bushwacka666 wrote: View Post

Wow. I'd missed a lot of Turbo on ITV as a kid, so I also remember being confused when I suddenly saw a whole bunch of new Rangers I'd never seen before and wondering where the hell the old characters went.

All this time I just figured "Passing The Torch" was amongst the many episodes I hadn't watched, but you're telling me it never aired in the first place?
It did air. He's misremembering.

Turbo aired on CITV's Saturday morning show "Mashed". After Mashed ended it's one and only run, Turbo switched to Sundays and immediatly picked up the following week with "Passing the Torch" , CITV showed everything from "Honey I Shrunk the Rangers Part 2" through to "As Time Freezes Over", then ITV stopped showing Turbo on Sundays.

I later learned on here from someone that "The Darkest Day" aired on SM: TV Live, but by then I was more into watching WWF than Saturday Morning television so I missed it. I had to watch the rest on Fox Kids UK..and even then Turbo was incomplete and it took them years to ever air Chase Into Space
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2018, 04:29 AM #2953
> DekaRed
Plus Ultra!

DekaRed
Plus Ultra!

I'm not the only one misremembering then.

fanoftv wrote:
In March/April time 1998 mashed returned to saturday mornings with Jez and Jarvis; and they shownt Power Rangers Turbo as part of this. When SM:tv started CiTV placed Power Rangers Turbo on sunday mornings but skipped the part when the new group of rangers came in; they just joined it when they were already rangers.

https://tvforum.uk/tvhome/s-happened...ys-5427/page-6
Old October 20th, 2018, 04:53 AM #2954
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

I admit to not having watched either portion of "Passing the Torch" on CITV (one of my only real breaks from the show), but I did see it's synopsis listed in tv guides, so I'm assuming it aired. I remember coming back for "The Wheels of Fate", so I must have also missed "Stitch Witchery"

And yeah, there's a couple of people misremembering there...one user (cwathen) says ITV showed seasons 5 and 6 and then gave up, but ITV aired Lost Galaxy.
Old October 20th, 2018, 06:07 AM #2955
> DekaRed
Plus Ultra!

DekaRed
Plus Ultra!

Oh, I'm not trying to be horrible, I'm just saying that there seem to be a few people who remember the same episodes being skipped.
Old October 20th, 2018, 06:13 AM #2956
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Yeah, no worries. Maybe it's a regional thing? I know I have a tape full of the episodes that they claim were skipped, all from the CITV Sunday morning airings, I'm just missing "Passing the Torch" and "Stitch Witchery" from them.

I kept a lot of tapes from Sunday airings, at least up until "Countdown to Destruction", and that's only because Fox Kids UK refused to air it at the time
Old October 20th, 2018, 11:36 AM #2957
> big smile
Power Ranger

big smile
Power Ranger

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

I kept a lot of tapes from Sunday airings, at least up until "Countdown to Destruction", and that's only because Fox Kids UK refused to air it at the time
Believe or not, they didn't have the rights to the last ten episodes.

PRiS was really strange. ITV got the rights to show it before Fox Kids and even had a big push by going on tour with a PRiS simulator ride. But then they skipped the middle part of the season (I think).

Fox Kids UK lost the rights to the final ten episodes and started the season much later than ITV.
Old October 21st, 2018, 12:19 AM #2958
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Hmm, seems I was misremembering myself a bit in this thread, I said Mashed only ran for one series in 1998, but it actually ran for two and started in 1997
Old November 20th, 2018, 02:17 PM #2959
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Entertainment Weekly interviewed Jason David Frank, Amy Jo Johnson, David Yost, Austin St. John and Walter Emanuel Jones. They all looked back at their time on the show and the impact it has made on the fans.

The original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers look back on life in spandex 25 years later
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:00 PM #2960
> hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

hasbro_primo
Primo of Power

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

Entertainment Weekly interviewed Jason David Frank, Amy Jo Johnson, David Yost, Austin St. John and Walter Emanuel Jones. They all looked back at their time on the show and the impact it has made on the fans.

The original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers look back on life in spandex 25 years later
Now I want to see this original illustration of the Rangers from the print version of EW they're teasing...
hasbro_primo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
flaberiffic, flabtastic, flabulous, spoiler