Home Menu

Menu

Old August 14th, 2016, 09:31 PM #1
> ⚡McAster
I engage in motion

McAster
I engage in motion

Transformers: When in Doubt, Annex Earth.

From days of long ago [the 1980s], from uncharted regions of Takara's backlog [Diaclone and Microman], comes a Legend. The Legends of Cybertron: Robots in Disguise. Mighty robots, loving Autobots, fearful Decepticons. As Fall of Cybertron grew, peace ceased across the Transformers: Galaxy. On planet Earth, a Galaxy Force of battles continued. Together with the good and bad humans of Sol 3, they maintained war through out the universe until a horrible menace threatened the Galaxy. A new toy line. This is the story of the Super-God Masterforce of space robots. Specially made with various variations to make you buy the same thing multiple times, Transformers: Animated, movies, comics, games, and more.[/CENTER]

- Paraphrased intro by Peter Cullen, voice of Optimus Prime.

Now Go Go Go-Bots, discuss!

Last edited by McAster; June 27th, 2017 at 10:05 AM.
McAster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:38 PM #2
> ⚡McAster
I engage in motion

McAster
I engage in motion

From the previous thread.

What Transformers series/line people grew up on.
Bumblebee's looks.
Megatron being an Autobot in the current comic, hope another version becomes one too.
Last Knight poster
Various Last Knight designs
Various Figures
Robots In Disguise Season 4?
And more. Which can be read here
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:41 PM #3
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

need to get back into reading IDW comic
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 05:42 AM #4
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Hahaha, took me a moment to notice Cheetor in that banner! Brilliant!
TealMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 06:22 AM #5
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6ykjag14Nes-kW

SFDebris's three-part look at the creation of The Transformers is still an interesting watch, even for those who do know how they were created.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:03 PM #6
> KRDK
Why So Serious?!

KRDK
Why So Serious?!

I bought the G1 comic volume 1 a while ago and really need to get back to reading it. So who is everyone's favorite G1 Character? Mine is probably Sunstreaker. Normally I don't like cocky characters but he is the exception.
KRDK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:04 PM #7
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

Anyone else kinda want to see a Beast Wars movie? NOT by Bay!
maslego is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:14 PM #8
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

KRDK wrote: View Post

I bought the G1 comic volume 1 a while ago and really need to get back to reading it. So who is everyone's favorite G1 Character? Mine is probably Sunstreaker. Normally I don't like cocky characters but he is the exception.
Of the initial batch of characters... I'm not too familiar with the 80s media, but Wheeljack generally is a favourite of mine. Just the whole crazy inventor shtick, and at least in IDW, his sense of humour.

Expanding to include all G1 characters in all G1 interpretations, I love Whirl and Chromedome. (And I'm not up-to-date on IDW so no "Dying of the Light" spoilers please!) I enjoy crazy characters, doubly-so when there's a serious element to their insanity too, so Whirl is my cup of tea; Chromedome kind of reminds me of myself in a way, and I really like his MTMTE design.

maslego wrote: View Post

I proposed an idea for a Beast-themed film in the previous thread, a kind of Predator-like thing with some military people getting caught up in conflict between bestial bots in the heart of the jungle. But as for a cartoon-inspired Beast Wars film... I think it'd be very hard to do. The characters would need to translate very well, there are no modern humans to provide the human factor, and there's no direct ancient connection to our Autobots like the Ark and its G1-era passengers. I really think you'd have to either do a stand-alone that's set in the present (perhaps with links to the ancient past?) with new bots, or literally just taking Prime, Bee, Hound and the team and giving them organic beast modes somehow.
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:22 PM #9
> Patamon
Digimon of Hope

Patamon
Digimon of Hope

maslego wrote: View Post

Definitely, especially if they bring in Gary Chalk as Optimus Primal and David Kaye as megatron and Scott McNeil as Rattrap, Dinobot, and Waspinator
Patamon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 02:18 PM #10
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

You know your parody opening is actually more akin to Voltron, not Transformers, right? I'm guessing that's intentional.
GalaxyRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 03:50 PM #11
> ⚡McAster
I engage in motion

McAster
I engage in motion

It is the Voltron opening, as narrated by Peter Cullen for that show, reworded with Transformer titles and quotes.

Beast Wars as a movie would be amazing, especially with all the facial tech that has come since Planet of the Apes, Ninja Turtles (art design complaints aside, still technical work impressive), Skull Island, so on and so forth that could make it all work.
Old August 15th, 2016, 05:25 PM #12
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

GalaxyRed wrote: View Post

You know your parody opening is actually more akin to Voltron, not Transformers, right? I'm guessing that's intentional.
Also in addition to what McAster said, most of the Voltron cast was on Transformers:

Lance/Sven- Sideswipe/Prowl/Swoop/etc
Keith/Pidge- Slag/Springer/Hook/etc.
Zarkon- Astrotrain/Omega Supreme/Ramjet/etc.
Narrater/King Alfor- Optimus/Ironhide/etc.
Dragonwolf Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 05:53 PM #13
> TheDreamMaster
Power Ranger

TheDreamMaster
Power Ranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQUG3oawBbs
This is pretty awesome.
TheDreamMaster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 08:38 PM #14
> leolim
Power Ranger

leolim
Power Ranger

So every Rescue bot Season have to be take in certain seasons Prime or RID.
rescue bot season 1/ prime season 1
Rescue bot season 2/ prime seaon 2
rescue bot season 3/ beast hunters
rescue bot season 4/ RId season 1
I wouldn't be surprise if rb season 5 take place on Rid season 2.
leolim is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 04:22 AM #15
> kamenrideruk
Grade X-0

kamenrideruk
Grade X-0

does hasbro send out replacement parts
kamenrideruk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 04:46 AM #16
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

AcceLOWorst wrote: View Post

I proposed an idea for a Beast-themed film in the previous thread, a kind of Predator-like thing with some military people getting caught up in conflict between bestial bots in the heart of the jungle. But as for a cartoon-inspired Beast Wars film... I think it'd be very hard to do. The characters would need to translate very well, there are no modern humans to provide the human factor, and there's no direct ancient connection to our Autobots like the Ark and its G1-era passengers. I really think you'd have to either do a stand-alone that's set in the present (perhaps with links to the ancient past?) with new bots, or literally just taking Prime, Bee, Hound and the team and giving them organic beast modes somehow.
See that's the thing though, it wouldn't be such a big deal without human characters. That's the problem with these Transformer movies, they focus too much on the humans and the Autobots rarely seem more than faceless robots to shoot stuff with. If they worried about spending more time making them real characters the movies would definitely be better. Instead they focus on the humans but we don't need humans, we need real characters. The cartoons have no problem making the Autobots characters that people enjoy watching and care about.

Though if they adapted the cartoon it'd have to just be full CG anyways since in that case the only thing that wouldn't necessarily be CG would be the landscape. Which wouldn't be bad or anything. But then Beast Wars is what I grew up with, so that's my Transformers over all others and would love seeing it get some love. Speaking of, weren't they coming out with a new Cheetor figure? I definitely wouldn't mind a nice Cheetor.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 05:49 AM #17
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

I suppose it's kind of chicken-or-egg, really. I was writing all of that on the assumption that the theatre-going audiences need the human characters around as a point of relation. That should never be at the cost of the bots' personalities, of course - I feel that Age of Extinction was better at that than the initial trilogy, but it still largely came down to quippy arguing. I guess budget also plays a part, in that you can't constantly have CGI robots on-screen. That's why they really should've had them talking through the radio systems in vehicle mode so that they can still have a presence when they're not standing around as robots (and I mean Cullen et al having their voices come through a radio, not Bee-style Cassetteboy mash-ups).

But then like you said, we've had over thirty years of stories where the bots take the lead, with humans as a side role or not present at all. So is the problem simply that the first film focused more on the humans - I suppose through necessity with that one - and none of the other films have since tried to swing around to have the bots feel more like relatable characters. The audiences who only know the films and maybe have vague childhood memories of G1 don't know any better.

I think swinging it completely the other way and having a story with NO humans wouldn't work, though. At least not until we've had a fair few films that really established the Transformers as prominent characters and not just Narratormus Prime, Badass Bee, the quippy medic, the quippy triggerhappy one, the quippy samurai and so on and so forth. Besides which, as someone who also had Beast Wars as what Transformers was in my formative years (hell, I remember knowing of Transformers as this 80s robot thing and not even knowing that Beast Wars was part of the same franchise XD), I'd be really cautious about translating it into film. I suppose G1 has the benefit of multiple iterations and being the basis for most other branches of the franchise, but the films show that there's little in the way of adaptation going on. There's always the chance for steps in the right direction, but even then I don't think Beast Wars would ever translate its best elements onto the big screen. I think it works as it is. If anything, we should get a new Beast-themed series and toyline, and more Generations updates. But on the big screen... well actually, how would you do a BW film? Plot-wise, I mean; what elements would you use to build a 2-hour action blockbuster? Not trying to sound dismissive or patronising or anything, I'm genuinely curious.

As for Cheetor figure, yes; a Masterpiece one, following on from Optimus Primal. Both are screen-accurate and look fantastic. They're Japan-only right now, so they might be a bit pricey. Primal comes out in October, and Cheetor at the very end of the year.

Being Masterpiece figures, these aren't meant to fit right in with the Generations figures (Waspinator, Rhinox and Rattrap) from a few years ago. Generations = update, Masterpiece = screen-accurate depiction. I'm still hoping for a Beast-themed subline in Generations come 2018. In the mean time, the Masterpiece versions look awesome.
Old August 16th, 2016, 09:55 AM #18
> HikaruonR
Power Ranger

HikaruonR
Power Ranger

Combiner Wars episode 3: The Duel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNyhC-cDTE4
HikaruonR is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:08 AM #19
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Once again. U.S viewer here. We can not see the episodes.
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 10:22 AM #20
> leolim
Power Ranger

leolim
Power Ranger

One I thing I don't understand is why prime can take talk to heatwave in the monitor while he can only talk to bumblebee by vision?
leolim is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote