Home Menu

Menu

Old March 30th, 2018, 05:17 PM #601
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

bearytrek wrote: View Post

I'm very suspicious of Chic inviting that drifter girl over...he's been way to smart to just do something dumb like that...he was smart enough to threaten Betty with going to the police and accusing her of being the killer...

was he testing how far Alice would forgive him? He must be playing a longer game, even if he got himself kicked out of the house...

where is Cheryl going to live now that the scary nuns can't keep her imprisoned?

so the Black Circle...everyone knows Archie was the leader of that group based on the video he made earlier this season, right? Wouldn't it be easy (not that it isn't already to figure out) for Lenny and Carl (lol, Simpsons reference?) to go after Archie?

Reggie still has such a minor presence on the show...wish it were bigger but honestly there's so many characters now it is pretty much impossible for him to carve out a bigger slice of the pie...

So Archie and Veronica's parents are on opposite sides of the mayoral election...Jughead and Betty are siding with Archie's dad but Archie is going with Veronica's parents...and it is Veronica vs Jughead in the school election...that's going to be some trick to get the kids back together as buddies...
Oh I definitely think Chic has been planning something, and bringing the ex-gf in was just part of it.
I'm pretty sure there was at least one moment where they shared a look as Alice and Betty were trying to figure things out. But then Betty pulled the Serpent card so there wasn't much that could be done. I feel like Chic didn't exactly plan for Alice kicking him out, but he definitely can't be done. Plus he knows their little secret, so he's definitely a threat especially if he can pull up some evidence before spilling the beans to the cops or something. Then again Alice mentioned to the girl how her things likely washed away, so just take the money. Maybe there was some loot in that car that either got destroyed or maybe actually lost, so the girl figured she can get some cash with Chic, or they were in it the whole time which is why that guy came storming in to the house in the first place. Eh, no doubt we'll learn more eventually.

Honestly I didn't care for Cheryl's plot in the convent/stupid correctional facility.
It just came and went too quickly to really matter in my mind. Sure, she was worn down, but it didn't seem to do much to her since at the end of the episode she was back in school and acting completely normal(for her). I just...I figured she'd be there for another episode or two, really show some point beyond just her mother getting rid of her. Also, good thing the kids knew about the tunnels that go beneath the place and allow for easy access. And good thing the sisters were really slow, despite there seeming to be many of them everywhere. It was just silly and pointless. Also, as some else mentioned Veronica's outfit was...yeah. I mean sure, the show loves to advertise their young ladies so it doesn't surprise me exactly but I mean logically you'd think she'd go with something more practical instead of something that would be good for a hot and heavy date with Archie.

How the parties of both the mayor and school elections are playing out had me laughing, it's like a tangled knot that will probably only get worse.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 05:47 PM #602
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Veronica Lodge does not do practical.
Harpsikord is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 06:32 PM #603
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Alitain wrote: View Post

How the parties of both the mayor and school elections are playing out had me laughing, it's like a tangled knot that will probably only get worse.
What had me laughing was that film they showed Cheryl and the others at that institution.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:06 PM #604
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Harpsikord wrote: View Post

Veronica Lodge does not do practical.
Heh, that is true.

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

What had me laughing was that film they showed Cheryl and the others at that institution.
Yeah, that was entertaining. Threw me at first when I realized it was Kevin and Moose and then realized of course Cheryl is projecting on the film since she's basically zoned out. But yeah, the film was funny.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 11:33 AM #605
> darkshadowranger
Give me vodka.

darkshadowranger
Give me vodka.

Riverdale has been renewed.

https://www.cbr.com/cw-renews-arrowverse-shows/
darkshadowranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 11:46 AM #606
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

darkshadowranger wrote: View Post

Niceeeee, i was expecting it too since the clout for the show seems much higher this season compared to last.
Would love for them to go back down to 10-13 episodes but i know its a long shot.Also hope Dynasty gets a renewal aswell
toejammer is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 12:37 PM #607
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

darkshadowranger wrote: View Post

A little late, but better late than never.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 01:57 PM #608
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

I hope they reduce the episode count. It looked like they were running out of ideas for this season. After the Black Hood the show has had a lot of different stuff going on, but they barely connect anymore. A shorter episode count could help them not to just do something because.
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 02:59 PM #609
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Dexter1998 wrote: View Post

I hope they reduce the episode count. It looked like they were running out of ideas for this season. After the Black Hood the show has had a lot of different stuff going on, but they barely connect anymore. A shorter episode count could help them not to just do something because.
Yup, high episode count just basically creates filler. Like i understand some parts of it add to character backstory but a majority of it can be done without.
They probably could have split the narrative of this second half of the season into a season of its own and given it abit more oomph. Im not as infatuated with the thought of Hiram anymore like i was when he first arrived
Old April 2nd, 2018, 03:50 PM #610
> Thunder
Power Ranger

Thunder
Power Ranger

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say that I agree that less is more. I'd gladly take 13-straight weeks of new episodes over 22-episodes split over eight months.

Binge-watching the first season made me crave anything Riverdale, but the second has slowed that down as each episode doesn't seem to flow from one episode to the next as seemingly as the first. It could be that I was able to watch the first season in the span of two or three days, so I didn't have as much time to mull things over between episodes, but this season does seem to drag in parts. These billion multi-week breaks haven't done the show any favors either.
Thunder is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2018, 09:18 PM #611
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Thunder wrote: View Post

These billion multi-week breaks haven't done the show any favors either.
If I'm not mistaken it was 1-6, one week off, 7-9, four weeks off, 10-13, three weeks off, 14-17, and now two weeks off and we will get (supposedly) 18 to 22 without breaks.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 02:20 AM #612
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

I agree about a shorter episode count but I'd prefer more than thirteen for a show like this. Anywhere from fifteen to eighteen telling a singular narrative would probably do really well.
Old April 13th, 2018, 04:12 PM #613
> ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice

ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice

After reviewing this season, I've come to realize I'm likely going to be hatewatching the series from here on out. I am thoroughly disappointed with how the writing has treated certain characters, even from the start.

Betty / Veronica: Cheryl's critique of their Vixens audition kiss, while bitchy and cynical, was spot on. It was gratuitous and disingenuous. This is very meta and oddly enlightened of Cheryl, whom we're supposed to dislike at first, only to grow to sympathize with later on, so the audience is immediately conditioned to dismiss the validity of her criticism.

Further, I really dislike how each of these two (along with much of the cast) waffles in their behavior and beliefs, often turning on a dime. Betty becomes less intelligent and more annoying as time goes on. She switches between Sweet naive Betty and Dark Betty and is consistently outmanuvered by Chic. Her storylines are more frustrating and exhausting than compelling.

Veronica tries to rise above her old Modus Operandi of being a basic rich bitch and make real friends...only to rely on being a basic rich bitch to manipulate / distract said friends to cover for shady / illegal stuff. Veronica has little to no integrity, after being so incredibly outraged at her daddy's mob dealings in Season 1 to being totally fine with acting the true daughter of a crime lord in Season 2- as if she had been in the family business all her life.

Speaking of the kiss: The hot tub episode was monstrously stupid. After it was revealed that Archie and Betty kissed, Veronica kissed Jughead and then revealed that she and Betty had kissed. The logical progression of the scene led to the expectation that Archie and Jughead would reciprocate, if only to come full circle with their respective girlfriends. But no- No Homo here. Of course. Do I ship Archie / Jughead? Absolutely not. But the double standard is painfully clear, even in a throwaway scene like this. Jughead is amongst my LEAST favorite characters in the series (no offense to Cole).

On Jughead: Even Cole Sprouse expected Jughead to remain asexual in the TV adaptation, and that may eventually come to be. Whatever- we can put a pin in the hot mess that is Bughead. In the meantime, Jughead exemplifies some of the absolute WORST traits that people complain about SJWs. Self-righteous, sanctimonious, whiny, sullen, naive, contrarian, impulsive at exactly the wrong time, entitled, and act upon incomplete information that immediately feeds their confirmation bias. He is EVERYTNING older people hate about millenials: his family is poor as fuck but he still has a nice phone and laptop. Plus, pretty much every decison he made had selfish motives and / or has made things worse, either in an immediate situation, or a long term environmental (political) shift. While the whole Southside Serpents thing is interesting, it only serves to make Jughead even less likable to me by giving him an even bigger arena to make stupid decisions with even HIGHER stakes.

On Archie: Ahhh.....the ever so heteronormative white knight with conservative leanings. I wanted to believe in his earnest wholesomeness...until he banged his teacher and then Ronnie. His naivete is just as sickening as Betty's as is his constant flipping opinions. When his indecisiveness was limited in the comics to Betty or Veronica, it was endearing and compelling in a low-stakes way. Now his indecisiveness is dangerous and actively pits him against his own family. That's horrid.

On Kevin: Obviously I was going to get to him. I both like and hate his characterization. He alternates between strong / well-rounded and a stupidly destructive stereotype. His sex is never on screen (Moose, Joaquin, Chic, or whomever). Kevin is alternately Betty / Veronica's purse puppy (pretty soon to Josie's as well) and his presence on the show is disjointed and only serves to support his owners' storylines. I may soften this stance slightly if he gets more developmemt with his possibe future stepsister, Josie. I want his relationship with Moose to actually GO somewhere.

Not a lot of characters have had meaningful interactions with Kevin and only two scenes gave me hope for him:

1. Fred Andrews's construction site where the other dudes complement him on his physique and suggest he join football. THAT was a small yet endearing scene that TRULY exemplified acceptance and inclusion. Didn't mention anything about the gay: just dudebros inviting another guy to be a fellow dudebro. Somehow, meathead jocks get acceptance and representation MORE right than a bunch of 'ally' girls (Ronnie's literal first words to Kevin "-gay, thank god. Let's be best friends."). Go fig.

2. Kevin Wrestling and beating / practicing with Archie. Of course this was a missed opportunity for Archie to develop a stronger(if platonic) bond with Kevin in favor of Archie ingratiating himself with Daddy Lodge, but you can't win em all.

Kevin's relationship with Archie is also very ill defined as he's supposedly been friends with Betty, Archie, and Jughead forever but gets immediately sidelined as soon as Veronica comes to town.

Cheryl: Surprisingly, I find her brutal honesty exceptionally refreshing, if a bit grating once in a while. She behaves consistently within her established character and Season 2 grew and humanized her beautifully. Good job there.

Most if not all of the adults suck. Not sure i can even spare Pop. Special award for worst non-main parent goes to the Principal.

Bleh, long rant.
ZandarLantyriel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2018, 07:23 PM #614
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Episode 18 premiered today. If you don't live in the USA or Latin American or Spain, you can watch it tomorrow on Netflix international. If you live in the USA you can catch up on The CW App.

As a funny bit. They dubbed the songs in the Latin American Spanish dub. I swear I'm gonna watch the English version as soon as possible.

The kill at the end was not shocking for me since I spoil myself, but was really gruesome.

And everyone being a bitch to V was awful tho. Nice Betty forgive her.

Also, three characters were acting weird before the play: Midge, Moose and Fangs.

Last edited by Dexter1998; April 18th, 2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old April 18th, 2018, 09:30 PM #615
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

I wasn't aware this was going to be an in-universe musical. A bit off-putting, but at least the tracks didn't last long. I wouldn't have guessed Chuck couldn't sing for shit... >_>

I can't believe Alice
forgot Polly! She drove her daughter away twice too, the first time as forcefully as humanly possible, that was the worst of them all.

And how bizarre that Betty's dad would suddenly want to come back when he had just wanted to be "set free" weeks ago.

Did we ever diagnose Cheryl as bipolar? Because it's really weird how she doesn't think she has any power one minute and the next she genuinely threatens someone's life.

The Archie subplot was a waste. First, he sucks at life for never finding the guts to tell his dad about the car, and for it to be resolved without so much as an argument just made it take up needless time. Chew his ass out because he's still lying about shit going back to the affair with Grundy, he needs to grow up.

That ending tho :O

I don't think anyone's surprised the Black Hood's still alive, but to take out poor Midge...
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2018, 10:48 AM #616
> bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

Ankh Primo wrote: View Post

That ending tho :O

I don't think anyone's surprised the Black Hood's still alive, but to take out poor Midge...
yeah, no surprise the
Black Hood is back...
probably would have worked better if the season was shorter and there wasn't a huge sideplot inbetween

Is it too much to hope for that Chic
is not the Hood? I mean it was kinda obvious he was added to the cast when the Hood was running around, and he was backstage and he's generally pretty creepy...It would sense if he was but it would be the most underwhelming decision...unless its to torture Betty more to unleash her own dark side..."we're the same"

it is somewhat surprising they are starting to kill
minor characters off like Midge (presumably she's dead)...while that certainly lays the foundation for potentially killing off one of the majors, at what point does it stop being an Archie adaptation and more it's own thing? (I can't imagine them killing Archie on the show, for example, even if they did do it in an alt-verse comic)

Chuck's actor must be pretty busy...being on both Black Lightning and (maybe) back on this show too...they don't film in the same area so I wonder how frequently he could be on Riverdale (his Lighting role seems more prominent)...

I still wonder if they are going to do anything with Reggie...
bearytrek is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2018, 11:09 AM #617
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Reggie is mainly around as Archie's biggest rival but I doubt that he's gonna be much more than that.

Oh, damn, KP Apa with his hair not gelled is hot as fuck. And in the seventies get up? Hot damn.

The surprising thing would be
if Chic is not the Red Hood, but I don't think they're going to go that way. The Red Hood was always insisting that he and Betty were the same after all.

I think Moose and Fangs were hooking up and that Fangs outed Moose to Midge.

Not sure what's going on with Ethel but I kinda hate her now?
Old April 19th, 2018, 01:39 PM #618
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

not a bad episode of Riverdale School musical. You know it was only when Archies dad said its nice to see you getting back into music that it sort of reminded me of season 1 archie and how he is a little like Troy Bolton to the extent of being a Jock that has music as a side passion.

well shucks... take care Midge (maybe you can dodge death twice?)
I saw a catchline before watching saying someone dies and so when Cheryl was home with her mum and had the candle i thought she was about to burn her alive. But that Midge scene was totally unexpected

I like how Chip was the only one sitting down when everyone else was screaming for their lives as the camera spins around
As ive said earlier in the thread, i'll eat my hat if he is the real blackhood(cause we all sorta sensed that janitor guy was abit fraudulent) but i hope its someone else and Chip is just a creep for the sake of being a creep
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:01 PM #619
> Thunder
Power Ranger

Thunder
Power Ranger

Ankh Primo wrote: View Post

I wasn't aware this was going to be an in-universe musical. A bit off-putting, but at least the tracks didn't last long.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one off-put by the musical adaption. I literally thought to myself, "I had to wait four weeks for a new episode and I get... this?!"

I thought the episode was the weakest one of the entire series as I just couldn't get into it. It pretty much became background noise after the first half-hour. I'm just going to hope this was a one-off and not something they're going to try shoeing in every season.
Thunder is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2018, 01:22 PM #620
> Agent Z
Power Ranger

Agent Z
Power Ranger

-“Thespian terrorism”? Cheryl’s dialogue makes me wonder if the writers have actually heard teenagers speak.

-Speaking of teenagers, why was Veronica giving Chuck a lap dance? Why was Veronica allowed to give Chuck a lap dance?

-I know she’s part of a gang and Penelope is easily the least sympathetic adult on this show next to Hiram but Toni was way to casual about her girlfriend telling her she burned her own house down and cut off her mother’s oxygen supply.

-I’m actually starting to see Alice as a person this season. Great job show.

-Also good job making Chuck likable. It would have been very easy to have him backslide after what Cheryl did to him. Though is he really just no longer a pariah just like that? Won't Ethel or any of the other girls he was a jerk to have something to say about that?

-Gotta love a teenager played by a 25 year old talking about age appropriate casting. And then he casts Josie as a gym teacher making me wonder how old he thinks his potential step sister is.

ZandarLantyriel wrote: View Post

On Archie: Ahhh.....the ever so heteronormative white knight with conservative leanings. I wanted to believe in his earnest wholesomeness...until he banged his teacher and then Ronnie. His naivete is just as sickening as Betty's as is his constant flipping opinions. When his indecisiveness was limited in the comics to Betty or Veronica, it was endearing and compelling in a low-stakes way. Now his indecisiveness is dangerous and actively pits him against his own family. That's horrid.
Um, you do know that Archie is a teenager and thus cannot consent to sex with an adult meaning Ms Not Grundy raped him, right?
Agent Z is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote