Menu

Old July 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM #341
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

Yes. And used it to repair his old wand. Which they couldn't do because of changes in the previous film.

Agreed about the Snapexposition. In the book, it's made clear that Snape was a double-double agent for Dumbledore all the time, whereas in the film, it's just made out that Snape loves Lily out of nowhere, and might be Harry's father or something. It's really muddled. It's Half Blood Prince all over again.

And Bellatrix may as well have no been in it- she didnt have any lines. Her final fight was all of twenty seconds.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM #342
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Wait, remind me again what they did differently with Harry's wand in the movie then in the book?

Because I was pissed as hell that he didn't use the Elder Wand to fix his old wand in the movie.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM #343
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

It's when they get found by the Snatchers. They search Harry, find his wand, and throw it away.
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM #344
> SirianRex
Power Ranger

SirianRex
Power Ranger

Myzou wrote: View Post

They made it seem like he simply disintegrated when the final Horcrux was killed. Yes, people who read the book know that he was supposedly killed by his own spell, because the Elder Wand refused to kill it's true master, but in the movie, they really made it seem like he simply died because all his horcruxes were gone.
I think the reason he died was because the Elder Wand was rejecting him all along, and when the final Horcrux was destroyed, the wand became too much for Voldemort to handle, afflicting him with his own killing curse.
SirianRex is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM #345
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

Yes. And used it to repair his old wand. Which they couldn't do because of changes in the previous film.

Agreed about the Snapexposition. In the book, it's made clear that Snape was a double-double agent for Dumbledore all the time, whereas in the film, it's just made out that Snape loves Lily out of nowhere, and might be Harry's father or something. It's really muddled. It's Half Blood Prince all over again.

And Bellatrix may as well have no been in it- she didnt have any lines. Her final fight was all of twenty seconds.
See no where in the movie did it ever imply to me that Snape was Harry's father, none at all. I just don't get where people are getting this. Yes Snape loved Lily, and that was made clear.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:39 PM #346
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alright, so I went in expecting well...expecting nothing but complete disappointment really. I haven't been thrilled with the last few movies, say what you will they messed up in my mind.

But I was kinda surprised with 7B. I don't think it was entirely good, but it wasn't entirely bad either. It's just that there were moments that were screwed up that shouldn't have been, and it pissed me off.

1. Top of the list was Neville killing Nagini. Now yes, Neville sliced up the snake in the movie, but it was how. In the book it was one of my two top scenes where they're outside Hogwarts, the procession of Voldemort's comes along and Neville resists. They take him and as a message, and just for sick pleasure, put the Sorting Hat on his head and light it on fire, torturing him and potentially killing him. He doesn't obviously die and then sees the sword of Gryffindor and all, then surprises everyone by killing Nagini. Mind you it's been almost a year since I read the book, and I purposely decided this time to not read it before the movie, but...grr.

There was just something about his little speech that...I don't know I just didn't like in and of itself, not just because it was different from the book.

2. Fred's death, and Percy reconciling with him and all. Yeah...just yeah. That irritated me to no ends. Mostly about Percy. I mean since they didn't have that whole part with Percy I understand the way they didn't show Fred's death since it's all tied up in it, but man...annoyed me.

3. The fact that they basically cut out...just about EVERYTHING about Dumbledore's past then when they meet Aberforth at Hogsmead(which that part was different as well), you have Hermoine talking about all this stuff and it's just...argh.

4. Harry and the Elder Wand. Now yes, they ditched his wand in the first movie but I was still hoping they'd keep what happened in the book. I don't know...I just hoped but then again it really was because they were stupid in 7A with the wand. But still that doesn't mean Harry couldn't have just put the Wand back with Dumbledore instead of just snapping it.

5. Harry's duel with Voldemort. Mind you the whole thing being solitary kinda bugged me...but it was the fact that all we really got was then slinging spells. In the book it all came down to Harry and Voldemort screaming their respective spells Avada and Expelliarmus(spelling I know is wrong). To me it would've been stronger to have him yelling it, because the whole thing was that Harry wasn't really a killer even to Voldemort. And yeah Voldemort's curse rebounded and all but...

It wasn't horrible in the movie or anything, it was just that little bit of him yelling Expelliarmus that I miss.

Oh and checking back in the book, so I was basically right on how the Neville scene went, and while yeah they tried to keep the same basic of idea of Neville standing up for what he believed in, the book was to me...more emotional. Shocking I guess, surprising...I don't know.

There were just a lot of things they didn't do though I honestly was surprised they kept Remus and Tonks' deaths just like the book, meaning we don't see them. From the preview I was hoping the scene where they reach for each other was going to show their deaths. But not a complaint or anything, just suprised me they didn't add to it.

And well, Snape's memories and all but since they basically cut out ALL the memory scenes from the last couple books...not surprising. It wasn't bad actually though, and they kept most of the bare essentials of it. And the part with Ravenclaw's diadem. It bugged me that it wasn't on the bust like it should've been.

I know most of my annoyances are nitpickings but...it is what it is. I didn't think it was really a horrible movie though which surprised me to no ends. I'm definitely glad the movies are over though, and eventually when I have the funds I'll finish my collection of the movies.

Oh yeah, last thing. The epilogue. The only thing in the epilogue I really cared about was the part where Harry looks over and sees Draco and Scorpio(seriously...that name) and Draco gives him a nod. Not there. They showed Draco and family sure. Otherwise the only reason I was kinda disappointed with the epilogue is because I was hoping the movie would actually make it better because I really disliked the epilogue in the book. Oh and as others have said, Draco is the ONLY one who really looks like they're 19 years older. Everyone else doesn't look that much older. Except I think they gave Ron the beginnings of a paunch.
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:52 PM #347
> KisforKmo
KisforKomics.com

KisforKmo
KisforKomics.com

I actually have decided I like the epilogue more than I did before-- and it's BECAUSE of the movie. I don't think it was until I saw it on screen did I realize how poignant that scene is. Everyone knocks it because they wanted MORE from the ending but, think of it this way.

Every book ends in King's Cross. The last scene is always Harry coming home from a year at Hogwarts and saying goodbye to his friends. So the epilogue to the final book is no exception, only now it's reversed. It's no longer about Harry leaving the wizarding world until he returns next year-- he's fully part of that world now. Showing them sending their kids off to Hogwarts I think is a nice touch. It keeps the stories all uniform and bookends the series nicely.

And it's even more poignant when you realize Harry's not the only one who lived through the war to be able to have this moment. A great deal of the other parents there with Harry were his classmates, who went through a lot of the same trauma as him. Because they stood against Voldemort they are now able to live "happily ever after." It's the continuing theme of love, family, friendship and the idea that life goes on, even after so much hardship and death. I know, I know, it's not what you'd expect after all the build-up, but I think that's why I like it. It's a simple reminder of the themes of the book and a nice throwback to the other books.
KisforKmo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM #348
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

tenchichan wrote: View Post

I actually have decided I like the epilogue more than I did before-- and it's BECAUSE of the movie. I don't think it was until I saw it on screen did I realize how poignant that scene is. Everyone knocks it because they wanted MORE from the ending but, think of it this way.

Every book ends in King's Cross. The last scene is always Harry coming home from a year at Hogwarts and saying goodbye to his friends. So the epilogue to the final book is no exception, only now it's reversed. It's no longer about Harry leaving the wizarding world until he returns next year-- he's fully part of that world now. Showing them sending their kids off to Hogwarts I think is a nice touch. It keeps the stories all uniform and bookends the series nicely.

And it's even more poignant when you realize Harry's not the only one who lived through the war to be able to have this moment. A great deal of the other parents there with Harry were his classmates, who went through a lot of the same trauma as him. Because they stood against Voldemort they are now able to live "happily ever after." It's the continuing theme of love, family, friendship and the idea that life goes on, even after so much hardship and death. I know, I know, it's not what you'd expect after all the build-up, but I think that's why I like it. It's a simple reminder of the themes of the book and a nice throwback to the other books.
I don't exactly disagree with you about the point or that the epilogue is kinda touching but...it just didn't satisfy me I guess. Not that I wanted Rowling to just blather on and list every little character and what they were doing but...there was just something incomplete about the epilogue in my mind. Honestly I wouldn't been content without the epilogue we got in the book, she could've just ended it and it would've been fine. To just see Harry/Ginny & Ron/Hermoine with their growing broods sending them off the Hogwarts just wasn't...I don't know. Then again I never bought the Harry/Ginny relationship though that's kind of a different thing in and of itself.
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM #349
> OujaStrike
King Snake

eBay
OujaStrike
King Snake

eBay

really good movie but i wish the final duel was more longer & better
OujaStrike is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 04:28 PM #350
> GokaiCaptain
Samba Ranger!!

GokaiCaptain
Samba Ranger!!

I bet the reboot will be much better.
I was waiting for that one...
GokaiCaptain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:26 PM #351
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

Alitain wrote: View Post

See no where in the movie did it ever imply to me that Snape was Harry's father, none at all. I just don't get where people are getting this. Yes Snape loved Lily, and that was made clear.
No, it really wasnt. If you're read the books, then yes, you'll have an idea of what they're trying to say- but if you HAVEN'T... then that whole scene becomes VERY confusing.. ESPECIALLY when they bring up the Patronus OUT OF NOWHERE, his Patronus, which we've NEVER seen before, alongside scenes from Azkaban of Harry's Patronus... the same Patronus that had Harry convinced that he'd seen his father... it's muddled, nonsensical images like THAT, that have people asking, "Just what are they trying to tell us here?" and is why people in the screening I was at were asking, "Is Snape Harry's father? Is that why he cares for him?".
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:33 PM #352
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

Ive never seen any of the HP movies or read any of the books, can someone catch me up? (kidding, lol)
Kyle16 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:06 PM #353
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

No, it really wasnt. If you're read the books, then yes, you'll have an idea of what they're trying to say- but if you HAVEN'T... then that whole scene becomes VERY confusing.. ESPECIALLY when they bring up the Patronus OUT OF NOWHERE, his Patronus, which we've NEVER seen before, alongside scenes from Azkaban of Harry's Patronus... the same Patronus that had Harry convinced that he'd seen his father... it's muddled, nonsensical images like THAT, that have people asking, "Just what are they trying to tell us here?" and is why people in the screening I was at were asking, "Is Snape Harry's father? Is that why he cares for him?".
See even just taking the movie's events only, to me nothing implied Snape was Harry's dad. It showed he loved Lily, and that his patronus changed to reflect that love. And that he watched over Harry because he loved Lily and he wanted to make up for his mistake in telling Voldemort the prophecy. And being Dumbledore's man. That last sentence kinda sounded gay, and sadly given Rowling's post HP 7 announcement out of nowhere that Dumbledore was gay, it can totally be taken that way which wasn't my intent...yeah...hehe.

But I guess it's just me...excluding knowledge from the book nothing really seemed to imply that...so I don't know but whatever I guess it's just really weird. Though would've been hilarious but personally speaking would've brought down the quality of the book if Rowling had done some crazy soap opera bombshell like that.
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM #354
> Ryoutarou
Dot

Ryoutarou
Dot

I can definitely attest to how confusing that scene can be for people who've not read the books. My brother and a couple of friends were frankly confused by them and it took me a while to convince my brother that Snape wasn't his father. And I'll be honest, if I hadn't read the books, I probably would have thought the same because I could have taken it as the movie trying to be subtle about it.

I liked the movie, it wasn't as true to the book as possible, but for the series of movies it bookended? It was great.
Ryoutarou is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM #355
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

They beat us over the head for movies that Harry looks like James while he has his mothers eyes. Seriously why would he resemble James if he was Snapes bastard?
christopherjohn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM #356
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

Which is why the confusing scene is confusing.
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:35 PM #357
> OrionPower2001
Charmed One

OrionPower2001
Charmed One

But we DID see Snape's Patronus before. Only, at the time, no one knew it was Snape's Patronus. In the previous film, Harry is lead to the Sword of Gryffindor by a Doe Patronus. He thought at firs that Ron cast it, but Ron denies it, saying he thought it was Harry's. By showing Snape casting the Doe Patronus in that scene, it reveals that Snape left the Sword for Harry to find in the woods.

Maybe it was the fact that I saw both movies together, but I thought that was pretty damn clear what the intent was in the scene. To show that Snape loved Lily and that he was the one that left the sword for Harry in the previous film. IMO, knowledge of the books really didn't make a difference there.
OrionPower2001 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM #358
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

Well this is one of the problems with splitting the story in half and then half-assing the exposition. In the BOOKS, it's pretty fucking clear, and anyone who's read them should know what's happening in the films. As somebody who HAS read the books, I can confess to wondering exactly what the hell they were trying to say in Snape's memory scene, especially since they turn his whole "I was a double agent all along" into "I love Lily or something, and something about a Patronus, and Dumledore was just saving Harry until the right time", and the fact that this scene was so clunky is reinforced by the multitute of people who're asking the very same question, "What was all that about with Snape, there?". Google it. Things like http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5232046AACO8Av for example.
Old July 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM #359
> MaverickOversoul
Sell me your Figuarts

MaverickOversoul
Sell me your Figuarts

btw, i didnt read the book either. I think the confusing scene became further confusing during the Harry and Dumbledore scene in Harry's mind when Dumbledore says "shouldnt it be obvious" about why snape has a doe patronus.
MaverickOversoul is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 07:54 PM #360
> OrionPower2001
Charmed One

OrionPower2001
Charmed One

Well, like I said, I thought it was pretty clear myself, based on what the movies have given us up to that point. But that is my opinion. If anyone thinks differently, they are entitled to their opinions as well.

My question is this: To those who thought the scene was confusing. What would have made it LESS confusing for you? Not using the scenes from previous films? Should they have left less to interpretation and just spelled it out? I'm curious as to what, in your opinion, should have been done differently
OrionPower2001 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote