Home Menu

Menu

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:35 PM #141
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Red_Ranger2003 wrote: View Post

Saw it and loved it, but there were a few problems.

First off, like I said earlier, I really don't care if they changed the book, as long as major plot points aren't altered. But my biggest problem with the film was the pace during the middle of the film, specifically the awkward Harry/Hermoine scenes (the dancing scene seemed like something out of Spider-Man 3). There was a lot of chuckling from the audience during those scenes. Also, some of the exposition was done poorly (the intro of Bill Weasley and Mundungus Fletcher, for example). But seriously, nobody should be saying that this film isn't faithful to the book. Sure, there were minor changes, but none to the scale of those in Order of the Phoenix. The film still contained subtle details from the book, and some of the changes were actually good, like Hedwig's death.

But this film had this sort of grittiness to it that previous films lacked (except maybe PoA). The action scenes were really good, with the escape from the Ministry, the Nagini scene, and the locket scene being highlights. I liked the Snatcher chase scene, but it was interrupted by the theater when a technical problem caused the trivia questions that play before the previews actually started playing over the movie. I could barely see the actual movie over a trivia question asking about Yogi Bear.

But overall, I liked this movie. The score and cinematography was great, and I think the three main actors were able to carry the movie (for the most part).

EDIT: How could I forget about the animated Deathly Hallows story? That was really neat. And the torture scene was intense. God, I love this movie.
The pacing, and exposition, that's what gets me with the movie, some things during it just made me grit my teeth. Though I will say one part, at least for a visual purpose in a movie that I liked, was during Harry's escape when Hagrid drops down onto the highway, I think that actually worked.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM #142
> Red_Ranger2003
Still a Threat

Red_Ranger2003
Still a Threat

I wasn't really sure about that scene. I like how it started off as frantic, with Death Eaters everywhere, but then it kind of turned into a standard movie chase scene, reminiscent of that lame Quidditch scene from Chamber of Secrets.

One thing that did bother me was the lack of any explanation of where the mirror shard, which will probably confuse anyone who hasn't read the book.
Red_Ranger2003 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:08 PM #143
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

Alitain wrote: View Post

Not holding out for a completely faithful adaptation, I just felt at least with this movie, the stuff left out would've made it better, fleshed out things. Gave them more meaning or something, hard to describe.
Actually, the scene with Dudley saying goodbye to Harry was shot but cut out of the finished film (and will likely be on the DVD), as well as the mirror shard. It's clear in the montage that Dudley's walking away from Harry as the Dursleys leave Privet Drive, so there was more to it than Harry watching his relatives leave.

The thing that irked me about the film was that it being a two part film, all the character beats and events left intact. However, some of them haven't reappeared since 2001 (Ollivander) and 2005 (Fleur). Some of them are explained okay, but some just aren't explained at all (Bill Weasley). Granted, it's made for the fans but a throwaway sentence or two wouldn't have hurt -- or just re-introducing them briefly in the previous two films would be better. Another thing that irritated me were several prominent fade outs, it was just distracting.

Despite my quibbles, the movie was really good. Even though Dobby's re-introduction in the film was hasty, his final scene was moving -- even more so than in the book. I think the choice to split the book into 2 films works well, both story-wise and money-wise.
Matt C is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:19 PM #144
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

I think one of the best changes was Hermione erasing her parents memory. Then the photos fading out. I actually was crying watching that. it was more emotional then her just telling people.

Over all I'm in the middle. I love it as a Harry Potter movie and love some changes. There are parts I didn't like. Which got me thinking of Why the hell. Harry and Hermione's sex scene which stands out for me. Yes it wasn't "real" but its was real to us we saw the two dry humping and it wasn't at all good. Its one thing having the two kissing but when they starting rolling around standing up and I saw skin It was overboard. It dragged way to long. Those seconds could of been focused on Ron and him still being upset and angry at the scene and pointing the sword at Harry till he comes to his senses. It would of showed that it got to him.
christopherjohn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM #145
> ⚡Zeddykins
FACEPALM

Zeddykins
FACEPALM

The changes made from the book were hardly noticeable to me, so I enjoyed it quite a lot. I was thinking "Wow, that's badass" when Voldemort took the Elder Wand & just summoned lightning from the sky.
Zeddykins is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM #146
> Icon-UK
Accentuate the positive

Icon-UK
Accentuate the positive

Matt C wrote: View Post

Actually, the scene with Dudley saying goodbye to Harry was shot but cut out of the finished film (and will likely be on the DVD), as well as the mirror shard. It's clear in the montage that Dudley's walking away from Harry as the Dursleys leave Privet Drive, so there was more to it than Harry watching his relatives leave.
Really? They cut out the only redeeming scene featuring a Dursley in all seven books? That's just... weird.
Icon-UK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM #147
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Icon-UK wrote: View Post

Really? They cut out the only redeeming scene featuring a Dursley in all seven books? That's just... weird.
Yeah, they did. And whether it was filmed and cut out or not, it really pissed me off that it wasn't there, it was important. Though I guess I can understand because there is no point in having it in the movie since they didn't have the Dursleys in as much as they were in the books, so who cares if there's an emotional exchange between Dudley and Harry.

And yeah, the mirror shard forgot about that. Considering how it actually plays a role in the final book, and is shown with importance in the movie it's pretty lame they actually didn't have it earlier. Then again, wasn't the fifth movie done before the final book came out? Can't remember it's been awhile I could be wrong.

The scene with Hermoine wiping her parents memory was sad, though it still felt weird. I missed the whole fact that Molly didn't want them leaving, and Ron having to fake his disappearance, and all that. But at least they did something, since as mentioned, they failed with Ron's side of him leaving.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM #148
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

the movie was awesome. hermoine's torture scene really hit home and her acting was awesome. i wanted to cry at so many points of the film. i need to see it again! simply great! oh and i want the bluray NOW lol
megagao is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM #149
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

Icon-UK wrote: View Post

They probably cut it for pacing issues, if nothing else. The pacing was fine for me, as well as condensing certain sequences. The attack on the Lovegoods' house segued nicely with the Snatcher chase, and I was happy they took out that 'Voldemort's name is Cursed' bit.
Matt C is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:19 AM #150
> Deltron
My Only Love

Deltron
My Only Love

I had the impression the Voldemort's name curse was implied...wasn't there that one scene where one of the Death Eaters was telling them to say his name, or something close to it?
Deltron is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 12:39 PM #151
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Yeah, they did. And whether it was filmed and cut out or not, it really pissed me off that it wasn't there, it was important. Though I guess I can understand because there is no point in having it in the movie since they didn't have the Dursleys in as much as they were in the books, so who cares if there's an emotional exchange between Dudley and Harry.

And yeah, the mirror shard forgot about that. Considering how it actually plays a role in the final book, and is shown with importance in the movie it's pretty lame they actually didn't have it earlier. Then again, wasn't the fifth movie done before the final book came out? Can't remember it's been awhile I could be wrong.

The scene with Hermoine wiping her parents memory was sad, though it still felt weird. I missed the whole fact that Molly didn't want them leaving, and Ron having to fake his disappearance, and all that. But at least they did something, since as mentioned, they failed with Ron's side of him leaving.
Well HBP was supposed to be released in November of 08. It would mean that the year we missed a Potter was in 08. Rather then last year when HBP was released in the Summer. 09 was supposed to be the year with the gap ect. Anyway that would mean Filming for HBP would of started in 07- early 08. Book 7 wasn't released till Winter 07 right? Anyway it was released that year which would put OotF being made before the final book was released.
christopherjohn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:13 PM #152
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

Loved it. The things missing/changed? I feel people are being a bit too picky about. Especially since this movie was cut in half, meaning that some of those things missing, aren't necessarily missing, they could just be moved.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM #153
> Icon-UK
Accentuate the positive

Icon-UK
Accentuate the positive

Because it showed that even apparently irredeemably awful humans are capable of changing and showing remorse, which is more than Voldemort ultimately managed.
Icon-UK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:37 PM #154
> J_S_P
Karate and Friendship

J_S_P
Karate and Friendship

I'm really bummed about the Dudley scene being cut, as small as it was in the big picture it was one of my favorite scenes in the entire book.
J_S_P is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:52 PM #155
> KisforKmo
KisforKomics.com

KisforKmo
KisforKomics.com

Saw it last night, loved the hell out of it.

This movie was 2 1/2 hours long and still only represents half of the book. Cutting things like Dudley's goodbye really make sense. The movie starts out so bleak and hopeless, adding a scene like a friendly apology and goodbye would kill the mood. Having Harry watch the Dursley's pack up and leave while splicing shots of Hermione and Ron also making their preparations for the war ahead was just too perfect cinematically to bog down with focusing on a side-character's emotional growth. Especially a character who maybe has 15-20 minutes of combined screen time in all of the movies, and most of that being the first one. To a movie going audience who never read the books, that scene wouldn't be that important because the movies never really show much of the Dursley's (if at all in some cases.)
KisforKmo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM #156
> Star Player
Banned

Star Player
Banned

Just got back from watching it. Loved the f**k outta it.
Star Player is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM #157
> adamme
Power Ranger

adamme
Power Ranger

just got in from seeing it, really enjoyed, think where it ended was quite a natural place to end it. I think splitting it into 2 parts is good so they can get as much of the last book on screen as possible. The film itself was good, as someone mentioned the Hermione scene where she erased herself from her parents memories was good, if I remember right in the book she sent them to australia? And the torture scene also very well done. Love the Dobby comment when he dropped the chandiler, pretty much the entire cinema laughed
adamme is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM #158
> GokaiCaptain
Samba Ranger!!

GokaiCaptain
Samba Ranger!!

J_S_P wrote: View Post

I'm really bummed about the Dudley scene being cut, as small as it was in the big picture it was one of my favorite scenes in the entire book.
Yeah, I really wished they would've kept that in the movie. Even though the Dursleys haven't played a big part in the latter films, it would've been nice to see Harry and Dudley bury the hatchet.
GokaiCaptain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:19 PM #159
> ZeoGoldRanger
Black thunder ranger

ZeoGoldRanger
Black thunder ranger

I saw it last night.

Overall I did really enjoy it. The pacing went much faster then I expected but i have little complaints. I would have liked to seen more of a drawout at grimmauld place where they were planning to go into the ministry.

I thought hedwig would live through the movie at first but i was wrong

Really enjoyed the whole lovegood home attack as well as the scenes with ron and harry destroying the locket.

Hermoines leaving her parents made up for the fact that there was not a whole lot with ron leaving.

I just really look foward to the final part but if they dont have the epic fight scene from the book i will be mad.
ZeoGoldRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:38 PM #160
> KisforKmo
KisforKomics.com

KisforKmo
KisforKomics.com

ZeoGoldRanger wrote: View Post

I just really look foward to the final part but if they dont have the epic fight scene from the book i will be mad.
Dude, the next movie is going to be nothing BUT an epic fight scene.

Like really all that's left to do now is
-Break into Gringotts
-Go to the Leaky Cauldron
-Battle at Hogwarts

Even if they stretched the Gringotts stuff out to a solid 30 minutes of screentime that leaves roughly TWO HOURS for ALL of the Hogwarts stuff. That is going to be ONE EPIC BATTLE. I have a feeling it's going to be like a war movie or something. Saving Private Potter.

But also, that does include some more back story for Dumbledore and Snape and there's like a million things that happen at Hogwarts. Still should leave a good 40 min to an hour of fighting. This thing is going to be epic. There's no way it can't be.
KisforKmo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote