Home Menu

Menu

Old February 11th, 2019, 12:18 PM #1
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Trinkets thread (list, favourites and ideas)

In recent years it seems that practically every hero show seems to involve some kind of toyetic collectible. This thread is for the discussion of said items, both our favourites and ones we didn't think quite worked, as well as ideas and suggestions for future ones. There's too many for a poll, but I will list all the Sentai/Rider/Precure ones here in case anyone's forgotten any.

Sentai (PR) - Dino Medals (Power Coins), Gao Jewels (Animal Crystals), Shinobi Medals (Power Discs), MagiTickets, Engine Souls (Engine Cells), Hiden Discs (also Power Discs), Gosei Cards (Power Cards), Gosei Headders, (Legendary) Ranger Keys, Zyudenchi (Dino Chargers), TOQ Ressha, Nin Shuriken (Power Stars), Kyuutama, VS Vehicles

Rider - Advent Cards, Rouse Cards, Rider Tickets, Zeronos Cards, Fuestles (& IXAChips), Rider Cards, Gaia Memories, Core/Cell Medals, Astro Switches, Wizard Rings, (Energy) Lockseeds, Shift Cars, Signal Bikes, Viral Cores, Eyecons, Gashats, Full Bottles, Schlash Jellies, Ride Watches

Precure - Precure Cards, Heart Cards?, Precure Dia, Pickruns, Heart Seeds, Fairy Tones, Cure Decor, Cure Lovies, PreCards, Dress Up Keys, Linkle Stones, Animal Sweets, Mirai Crystals, Star Colour Pens

So which ones do you like? Hate? Wish had been used more? Have you seen any interesting ones in other shows? And what ideas do you have for future examples? (Just reskinning one of the above is fine - several of them are of each other - but extra points for new ideas.)
cognito29 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 12:44 PM #2
> darkshadowranger
Give me vodka.

darkshadowranger
Give me vodka.

The Ranger Keys were always my favourite. Never liked the Nin Shuriken
darkshadowranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 12:48 PM #3
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Ranger keys top the list for me. Certainly dont have a big collection, but it was my first main line power ranger related purchase since wild force. Just something about the size and concept of it is pleasing. If i had it my way, i would have collected them all and placed in a frame or something.
The MMPR power coins and wild force animal crystals take second and third, with an honourable mention to kyuutamas. Unfortunately never purchased the last two.
toejammer is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 12:56 PM #4
> AkaGreenPrimo
Lava and War

AkaGreenPrimo
Lava and War

There have never been more interesting card designs than the Advent Decks.
AkaGreenPrimo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 01:20 PM #5
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

The Ranger Keys were always my favourite.
Ranger keys top the list for me
Yes, there were only really two problems with them: that way too many were actually made, and that even more were not.
Old February 12th, 2019, 02:12 PM #6
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Okay, I guess this isn't the most popular topic and no-one really wants to suggest anything, so it's down to me.

Firstly I might as well mention some of my own favorites. Well with Rider it'd be easier to list the ones I'm not so hot on, but for the others I'll mention Ranger Keys, Zyudenchi, PreCards and tentatively Star Colour Pens. As for ones I'd have liked to see more of, I'll nominate Nin Shuriken and Animal Sweets.

As for ideas, I'll start with the obvious - the Go-Busters could have equipped various glasses via their Morphin Braces. And for Precure something more creative - you could probably invert the JyuohCube mechanism to make flowers that really "bloom" when equipped.

Anyone else got any ideas?
Old February 12th, 2019, 02:29 PM #7
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

In hindsight more things could have been turned into gimmicks. The OhBrace/Zeonizer, for example, had a removable crystal. Those could have been a collectible gimmick. In the show, different crystals could have unlocked new powers. The AccelChanger/Turbo Morpher could have had different keys to collect that unlock different sounds. In Megaranger/In Space, they could have made a gimmick out of the shuttle that connected to the Mega Ship. Different colours and styles of ships that can all be used as a new head on the toy.

I think in general they just learn from past experience. If something makes money they are more likely to try it again and make it feature more prominently in the show.

I suppose I like gimmicks like the Power Coins, Animal Crystals, Power Discs. Something that looks neat and consistent on display. I wish they'd done more with the Animal Crystals - both the US and Japanese releases of those were a bit crap.
IAreSam is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 03:20 PM #8
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Yeah - it's interesting that in every series trinkets were tried once or twice before finally sticking. (Precure Splash Star ditched them in mid-season!) I guess the time wasn't right yet - sort of like how Rider went away from forms for a bit before thoroughly embracing them, or Sentai took a while to arrive at armament mecha. (Tetra Boy and Ohranger Robo's helmets are clear precursors in hindsight, but neither of them were really expanded on as is.)
Old February 17th, 2019, 07:51 AM #9
> moonknight2099
Ja no Michi on Stage!

moonknight2099
Ja no Michi on Stage!

loved the Ranger keys more so the BJ versions than the BOA ones for a 25 anniversary it felt like they didn't give a shit about it. power coins are also fun to collect either the 93 or legacy so far im collecting mostly legacy for my collection, the kyoryuger dino batteres where also fun to collect and again better than BOA's attempt, I also liked the power discs from power rangers ninja storm and the dino plates for dino thunder they where unique and im loving the next sentai's dino saur themed ranger keys.

kamen rider pretty much ryuki and up has gimmick and trinkets collecting advent cards and deck's makes you feel like you could enter the mirror world, or using the rouse cards on the weapons felt like you could battle an undead, the zectors where also a fun idea i just wish they had done more, the kiva fuestles where an interesting concept but felt like they had no idea on how to expand it. then we have decade cards which made ya feel like you could be any rider you wanted to become the destroyer of worlds, and following that we got the usb gaia memories which for me was a painful yet interesting collecting it i collected and made custom type 1 gaia memories while also collecting official type 2 even got a case to store them that looks like the A to z movie case that gets blown up.

for OOO Medals where also a nice addition made me nostalgic for power coins and the different combo's you can do was a fun gimmick to play with, Fourze on the other hand felt like a step back with the switchs the story made up for that tho, Wizard was an excellent collectible with the rings wearing them and using them made you feel like you could actually perform magic itself which was the point of the toy really i wish i had collected more of them, then came the lockseed's now that was a beautiful way of combing gimicks with fruit and lockseeds and the neverending releases just kept you wondering how far they could go with it plus like ryouma the jingles where guilty pleasures to us all really.

after that came the shift cars to me i liked the concept but like the fuestles it felt like they didnt know what do with them same with the signal bikes they could of really gone far with these but i guess permission from motorcycle and car companys would be too much of a hassle to use there designs.

Ghosteyecons another interesting gimmick historic figures combined with eyeball shapped collectibles like the lockseeds these where another great collectible its a shame they didnt official release all 100 eyecons and Argo's belt he used from takeru's corpse

and then came a blast from the past in games we loved the Gashats based on games we loved to play we got a great story to go with the gashats which almost made you feel like you could join in the action i wished they could have made the gashats actual games that could be played on the Genm console on the show that would of been sweet to take advantage of the VR craze that was going on around then.

and finally we get the Full bottles like the lockseeds and various collectibles they where also guily pleasures you knew you where going to get different sounds from the driver which felt like collecting them where worth it and seeing the many forms acutally appear on show aswell was a bonus when past shows only use a quarter or half of there collectibles .

any way that's my take sorry for grammar just got passionate about the collectibles of our fandom
moonknight2099 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:56 AM #10
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

A serious trinket collector appears! I agree that they were generally much better implemented in Japan.

I also imagined my own original Zecters... but what was your problem with the Astro Switches?
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:11 AM #11
> moonknight2099
Ja no Michi on Stage!

moonknight2099
Ja no Michi on Stage!

I didn't much care they where just add on weapons I enjoyed meteor but for some reason fourze just didn't do it for me
moonknight2099 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:23 AM #12
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Huh - they were one of my favourites. On the other hand, I was a little disappointed by the Lockseeds, but that's probably my own fault...

And I do think it would have been nice if they'd released at least the other henshin Gashat games.
Old February 17th, 2019, 09:37 AM #13
> Oceanblue
Power Ranger

Oceanblue
Power Ranger

Unpopular opinion here, but...I hate the Ranger Keys.

I seriously can't stand them.

I think they're ugly and not very functional. I do not see the appeal of sticking a key into a cell phone gun sword thingy and having a loud, bizarre voice shout of the name of a Sentai hero.

It does literally nothing for me.

I dislike how many of them there are, I dislike their concept, I dislike how they were utilized in Gokaiger. I don't like what they represented.

On top of that I'm not a huge fan of collectible trinkets in general, I tend to like shows that don't focus so much on them even if they have them. But the Ranger Keys just really annoyed me. A few times it crossed into unreasonable territory, like I'd get a little bit annoyed when I would see other fans go crazy for them and collect them hardcore, I had to take a step back and realize that what other people enjoy is none of my business and at least they can see something in them that they love. Maybe I was just jealous that I didn't get it.
Oceanblue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old February 17th, 2019, 11:41 AM #14
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Oceanblue wrote: View Post

Unpopular opinion here, but...I hate the Ranger Keys.

I seriously can't stand them.

I think they're ugly and not very functional. I do not see the appeal of sticking a key into a cell phone gun sword thingy and having a loud, bizarre voice shout of the name of a Sentai hero.

It does literally nothing for me.
I'm kind of with you up to here - not really into the toy side of things myself - but

I dislike how many of them there are, I dislike their concept, I dislike how they were utilized in Gokaiger. I don't like what they represented.
This is where we part ways - the concept is what makes them work? What do you dislike about it?

On top of that I'm not a huge fan of collectible trinkets in general, I tend to like shows that don't focus so much on them even if they have them.
Whereas I get mad when I see a show just wasting them. (I'm looking at you, TOQger.)
Old February 17th, 2019, 04:38 PM #15
> Oceanblue
Power Ranger

Oceanblue
Power Ranger

cognito29 wrote: View Post

This is where we part ways - the concept is what makes them work? What do you dislike about it?
I think the show did a fine job with the final concept, but overall, I just don't appreciate the idea of all of the old Sentai powers being consolidated into keys (or any other object, really). I also just didn't love the idea of the Gokaiger team literally transforming into previous Sentai heroes -- similarly, I don't love the idea of Decade doing the same for Kamen Rider. The whole concept is just a bit too fanfic-y and meta for me.
Oceanblue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 04:41 PM #16
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Well I suppose that's just a difference of our tastes - I love that kind of idea, in appropriately small doses. (Still can't work out how a Precure version might work, though...)
Old February 17th, 2019, 05:04 PM #17
> yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

[sarcasm] I want Sentai/PR and/or Kamen Rider to have buckets as a collectible [/sarcasm]

I guess I'll go with cards as my favorite trinket not necessarily any season in particular just in general though I also like medals, and keys.

I also like the rings from Wizard.
yami senshi youkaiou is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote