Home Menu

Menu

Old February 10th, 2019, 02:08 PM #1
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Robin Hood Adaptations

Due to recent thinking of the subject, thought I'd ask guys here what is their favorite Robin Hood movie, or other adaptations of the story? For myself, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is my favorite. Yeah, Costner didn't bother with the English accent, but I enjoyed the story and the action, and should watch again one of these days. Also Morgan Freeman as Azeem was awesome. I also liked Men in Tights, as well as the Disney movie which was the first Robin Hood story I heard. Those are the only ones I've watched, though I should someday get around to watching the Errol Flynn version which everyone still praises. Kept missing the recent BBC show so no thoughts on that, though I heard there was a British 80s tv series that was supposedly good. Those are my thoughts, but what about you guys?
Dragonwolf Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 02:29 PM #2
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

My favorite version is Robin of Sherwood, the series from the 80s, I was fascinated by it as a kid.

Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 02:35 PM #3
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

As far as being an actual good movie, there has yet to be any adaptation to rival 1938's The Adventures of Robin Hood starring Errol Flynn. Nothing else has come close. Supposedly the 1922 silent film Robin Hood was great, too, but I just don't have the patience to sit through silent films.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 03:11 PM #4
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Robin from Batman what people didn't know he was adapted from Robin Hood? He was lol.

All seriousness I was always in favor of the Disney movie with the animals. Still classic today.
christopherjohn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 05:16 PM #5
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Recent BBC show? That show was one of their attempts at creating a show to rotate with Doctor Who on Saturday nights - over a decade ago. First two seasons were decent enough, but it jumped the shark in season 3 (Marian and a couple of other characters were gone and Robin got a new love interest) and ended up cancelled.

And isn't it Green Arrow who's based on Robin Hood? Dick Grayson's codename has nothing to do with the archer of Sherwood.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 05:26 PM #6
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Digifiend wrote: View Post

And isn't it Green Arrow who's based on Robin Hood? Dick Grayson's codename has nothing to do with the archer of Sherwood.
It does it is a common misconception that he is based on a bird but it was based on Robin Hood. Also yes Green Arrow is also based on Robin Hood. That one is more obvious.
Old February 10th, 2019, 05:26 PM #7
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Pretty sure that was the joke, though. It's like if people don't know anything about Robin in the Batman franchise, and know little about Robin Hood, and just think "Robin must be based on Robin Hood because his name is Robin".
GalaxyRed is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 06:51 PM #8
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

I've enjoyed all the adaptations I've seen really. Not sure which would be the favorite honestly. I haven't watched any of the TV show ones and such. I have the Errol Flynn one which was entertaining, got that and watched it for the first time just a couple years ago. As with others, Disney's animated Robin Hood was my first experience with the story and characters. I enjoyed 2010 Ridley Scott movie with Russell Crowe, just wish it had gotten a sequel to move on but it was a good start. And while it apparently didn't do that great I still had a good time with the recent movie. Though admittedly it felt like they tried to spice it up a bit into the superhero genre. Even so much as having Robin pulling his mask down repeatedly for no good reason when he's suppose to keep his identity a secret X| But it was still a good movie. Sadly it seems unlikely a sequel will happen for it either and while it more or less told a story it also ended with potential for a sequel which I'd like to see.

Actually I did see one Robin Hood TV show, or at least some of it cause it was back in the 90's, but Back to Sherwood. Starring Aimee Castle as Robyn who was the descendent of Robin and Marian, and could travel back in time to those days. But Robin and Marian were captured by an evil sorcerer in league with the Sheriff so she had to band together with a group of teens to save them. Honestly I remember nothing of that show other than there was one episode where she went back in time suddenly while drawing a bath, and when she came back the tub had overflowed. Stupid thing to remember.

Also, while trying to figure out the name of the above show cause I had forgotten, it turns out there was apparently a Robin Hood anime back in the early 90's where the characters were teens and there was apparently mystical forest powers and stuff. I'm now super curious and if I remember, will try to look on youtube or somewhere to see if there're episodes and try to watch at least the first, cause that's amusing.

But since I was a kid I've always enjoyed Robin Hood. Though I guess, barring perhaps the BBC show which I think did well, movie-wise it just doesn't seem to work. Too old school perhaps, or maybe it's just one of those people at least feel they know plenty of so don't care to see a movie about it. I mean he is basically the archetype vigilante hero character of fiction, so yeah.

And, I remember they basically had an episode in like S1 or 2 of Arrow, but I still think it'd be funny to have someone literally try to be a Robin Hood in Star City. Oh! I remembered another kids movie, well TV movie, Robin of Locksley starring Devon Sawa. Kind of liked that one, it was basically a modern Robin Hood where he used hacking and stuff to steal from the rich. But in the end it was pointed out that such actions have farther reaching consequences, and it's not always so black & white. Which, while I enjoy Robin Hood, is also kinda true so nice to bring that up.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 11:04 PM #9
> ⚡TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay
TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay

My favorite is probably going to be Men in Tights, or the original Disney version.

Though if we're talking bout odd adaptions, anyone else remember Back to Sherwood when it aired on Fox Family?
TuxedoK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2019, 11:06 PM #10
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

TuxedoK wrote: View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrFmuiF2ENY

My favorite is probably going to be Men in Tights, or the original Disney version.

Though if we're talking bout odd adaptions, anyone else remember Back to Sherwood when it aired on Fox Family?
Whats amusing about that clip is that it no one in the 11th Century would have even been speaking modern English, let alone have an accent.
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 12:14 AM #11
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

It does it is a common misconception that he is based on a bird but it was based on Robin Hood.
He was only based on Robin Hood in the loosest sense as in "I like Robin Hood, let's make a hero called Robin". The characters themselves have nothing in common.
Old February 11th, 2019, 12:44 AM #12
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

He was only based on Robin Hood in the loosest sense as in "I like Robin Hood, let's make a hero called Robin". The characters themselves have nothing in common.
Yeah outside of Robin and being a vigilante there really isn't much in common. But yeah a lot of people don't know that because it such a small meaningless thing.
Old February 11th, 2019, 03:08 AM #13
> bushwacka666
We all like a bit of bush

bushwacka666
We all like a bit of bush

Alitain wrote: View Post

Actually I did see one Robin Hood TV show, or at least some of it cause it was back in the 90's, but Back to Sherwood. Starring Aimee Castle as Robyn who was the descendent of Robin and Marian, and could travel back in time to those days. But Robin and Marian were captured by an evil sorcerer in league with the Sheriff so she had to band together with a group of teens to save them. Honestly I remember nothing of that show other than there was one episode where she went back in time suddenly while drawing a bath, and when she came back the tub had overflowed. Stupid thing to remember.
Yeah I sort of remember Back To Sherwood as well. I say "sort of " because I was interested in it but barely got any chance to actually watch it - and sadly I can find virtually nothing about it on the Internet nowadays. From what I do recall of the little I did see, Robyn was supposed to have old-school weapons mixed with modern technology, like a bow with a winch or something.
bushwacka666 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 08:07 AM #14
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Recent BBC show? That show was one of their attempts at creating a show to rotate with Doctor Who on Saturday nights - over a decade ago. First two seasons were decent enough, but it jumped the shark in season 3 (Marian and a couple of other characters were gone and Robin got a new love interest) and ended up cancelled
When Jonas Armstrong wanted to leave, they set up the finale so it would serve as a launching pad for a new Robin, but the BBC decided not to continue, as they were also losing Keith Allen and Richard Armitage. With only a couple of merry men left it would had to have been a whole new show
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 01:37 PM #15
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

My problem with a lot of these Robin Hood stories is that they're too busy telling the origins of how Robin got there to actually tell a classic Robin Hood story.

I give 'Prince Of Thieves' more of a pass because at least the second-half was a little more in line with the Robin Hood I expect. But the Russell Crowe and Taron Edgerton films were just set-up for sequels we'll never get.

I'd honestly like a fresh take where Robin Hood and his merry men are already established, and let the adventure start from there. Guy Ritchie would be a much better fit for a 'streetwise' Robin Hood film than messing around with King Arthur or Aladdin. His bread and butter is caper movies about loveable criminals, he'd do a great job.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 02:09 PM #16
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

You all should watch Robin of Sherwood, I think it's the only adaptation that also includes the old pagan religion, it gave the show a kind of eerie vibe at times and it seemed to be pretty authentic for the time period, it felt less polished and "Hollywood", I remember liking that.
Old February 11th, 2019, 02:25 PM #17
> Salvy_Mic
Power Ranger

Salvy_Mic
Power Ranger

The Adventures of Robin Hood and Robin Hood: Men in Tights are my personal favorites, but I do enjoy Prince of Thieves too. I agree with whoever said that it would be better to watch a Robin Hood movie that wasn't an origin story.
Salvy_Mic is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 02:30 PM #18
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Prince of Thieves still reigns as my favorite adaptation simply due to how much fun it has with the material. I mean, how can you not love Alan Rickman's performance? It looked like everyone had a blast in their roles, from Friar Tuck to the kid Robin saves upon returning to England. It just seems like every other telling (barring Men in Tights) just takes itself way too seriously.
BobbyDrake2000 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote