Old February 8th, 2019, 01:22 AM #1
> PowerPhantom245
Circus Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Circus Ranger

Why no "Fat/Obese" Kamen Rider?

…that video sums up the reason. Discussion over. lol XD
I apologize for cringe-worthy clip.

Ok, back to the topic for real this time.
Through out the 45+ year of the franchise, there has NEVER been a “Fat/Obese” Kamen Rider (“Showa” and “Heisei” era), not even as parody, as far as I know; I haven’t seen EVERY Kamen Rider series ever made.

While there hasn’t been any official reason by Toei why there hasn’t been one, but here is the list of somewhat obvious reasons and speculation:
  • Fat/Obese is NOT common in Japan compared to Western Countries (USA), even to this date; especially in “Showa” Era (70s~80s)
  • It is NOT compatible with “Ikemen”/handsome looking hero (e.g. Inui/Faiz, Tendou/Kabuto).
  • It would promote obesity which is not good for main target (children).
  • Fat hero is NOT good role model (Sumo wrestler doesn’t count).
  • There are no stuntmen in Japan, big enough to accommodate fat/obese hero; they are usually fit and skinny.
  • No one likes fat hero.
  • Fat guy cannot ride bike… even though it can. lol

The reasons list above is good enough explanation, but I’m curious if there are any other reasons.
I’m NOT promoting obesity, but it would be interesting to see a “Fat/Obese” Kamen Rider for a change; it wouldn’t work on Main/Primary Rider for obvious reason, it would work on supporting character and guest character.
I’m kind of surprised they didn’t make Kosuke/Beast (Wizard) an obese character despite his obsession of mayonnaise, which is full of fat and calories; then again, Chocolate Boy in “Hey Arnold” wasn’t fat either, despite his craving of chocolates which is full of sugar. lol
It would have also worked for Gaim, where they could have made one of the Beat Rider (Dancers) a fat guy to make a joke and end up become Rider a few episodes or so; maybe it could have worked for Jonouchi/Gridon.

I personally think it would work for something like Akibaranger-like parody show, which can call “Kamen Rider AKIBA”; an obese Kamen Rider otaku/nerd (like above video), who wants to be a Rider despite his appearance, can’t ride a motorcycle where the tire gets flat since he’s too fat, and can’t wear belt for obvious reason. I’m kind of surprised there hasn’t been a show like that, especially since there has been plenty of Sentai-parody shows in last couple of years.

What do you guys think?
Why do YOU think there hasn’t been Fat/Obese Kamen Rider?
Is it really just the reasons/speculations I mentioned or are there any other reasons?
Would it have worked in any of the past Rider series, aside from the one I mentioned?
Would anyone want to see a Fat Kamen Rider?
Old February 8th, 2019, 01:33 AM #2
> AkaGreenPrimo
Lava and War

AkaGreenPrimo
Lava and War

You basically answered your own question in every conceivable respect.

The closest we've ever come has only resulted in Kamen 'roider!

PowerPhantom245 wrote: View Post

I’m kind of surprised they didn’t make Kosuke/Beast (Wizard) an obese character despite his obsession of mayonnaise, which is full of fat and calories
But he was putting it on stuff like lean beef and fish, in Japan's notoriously small portions.

That kind of diet isn't going to make you fat as much as maintain a normal weight.
Old February 8th, 2019, 01:44 AM #3
> kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

Same reason as Western superheroes: saving the world burns heaps of calories. You'd think chunky folks would be good at non-physical offense..but Wizard and Fourze were still made to run and kick.

The pretty boy angle means we don't get muscle bound riders, either, which can fit into the genre like G3 or BIRTH; Akibaranger even made fun of that idea with their "American Zyurangers"
Kamen Rider is just not as willing as Super Sentai to break their hero body mold

On another note, that clip always reminds me to have bungee cords or extra straps to accommodate the average Western fandom. Also, not give that many fucks over the audience, that dude nailed the transformation poses as best he could.

Last edited by kibapower; February 8th, 2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old February 8th, 2019, 01:48 AM #4
> mitofox
Power Ranger

mitofox
Power Ranger

Thank goodness for Yellow Owl from "Jetman" then.
Old February 8th, 2019, 01:58 AM #5
> FlameDragon
VIP Ranger

FlameDragon
VIP Ranger

is this a troll post? i'm convinced it is
Old February 8th, 2019, 02:20 AM #6
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

While this question can be asked the point of this thread is obviously to make fun of obese people, it's not even subtle considering the videos.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Closed