Old January 9th, 2019, 08:54 PM #1
> Poweranimals
Mastodon!

Poweranimals
Mastodon!

Glass

I'm surprised I couldn't find a thread for this. I just re-watched Unbreakable and Split and I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. Both are very unique spins on the superhero genre. It'll be interesting to see how the characters will interact together. Anyone else looking forward to this?

Last edited by Poweranimals; January 9th, 2019 at 09:00 PM.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 09:52 PM #2
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

actually just watched Unbreakable/Split for the first time today, enjoyed them and looking forward to this.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old January 20th, 2019, 03:21 PM #3
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

That was fun. Went and saw it today, definitely enjoyed it. Had a couple twists, was I thought was all around good.
Of course seeing as both the previous films have still been relatively "grounded", this film continues the trend. I did wonder if they would actually do a kind of grand, spectacular showdown in front of a real audience. But the way things went, with trying to keep it all hush hush and Elijah proving how smart he is again by getting the video out was cooler. And I did enjoy that end "twist" planning ahead, even though he didn't see the Black Clover group coming he still managed to one up them which is funny. Though part of me kind of wondered if the Trio choosing to release the video almost goes along the lines of the kid hitting the big red button and releasing the dinosaurs into the world in Fallen Kingdom. But the whole 'believe in your uniqueness' and all message isn't necessarily a bad one. I just think of all the potential 'super villains' that could come from this as well as heroes.

I admit I didn't really see the Black Clover group coming. Was fun though. I mean I felt like Dr. Staple was up to something throughout the film, but wasn't really sure what. I liked the idea though of a group that works on squashing any potential superhuman types whether hero or villain. Going with the old logic of 'one of you surfaces, another comes up to counter, shit escalates' etc etc. Man them coming in and drowning David so casually...yeesh. And then of course poor Kevin. Finally seems to be making a breakthrough...only to be shot. That was sad. And then Casey, man. I enjoyed the scene in the office with Dr. Staple when she asks to see him, she says no and Casey asks why. Staple is all 'cause you're the victim'. Then cuts to her taking Casey to see him anyways. It was kinda funny in how...sorta bad that excuse felt, but a nice scene. And Casey herself. Coming off of her encounter, she still sees the good of Kevin buried beneath the Horde and tries to help. Thought that was interesting, instead of her just being the expected victim who'd worry and fret about him getting out and coming for her or something. And man, Elijah once again behind it all even unintentionally go figure. Having caused the death of Kevin's dad which was a linchpin in forming the Horde and the Beast.

So yeah. overall I enjoyed it. I'm curious if he'd continue in this "new" universe. Though not sure what more he could do. There kind of is a purpose to all this that culminates in Glass, so doing anything more might end up being cheap perhaps. But the Black Clover group does interest me. And with the video out, what kind of characters might spawn from it. Though Shyamalan did claim from the start Unbreakable was going to be a trilogy, so a trilogy he has made. If this is the end, I'm also good with it. Even with our heroes and villains murdered heh.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:04 PM #4
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Iím, well, split even hours later.

Davidís death was cheap, but I can see how Elijah was trying to win the long game over the Black Clover folks, who had been killing extraordinary people for centuries. While, in this universe, the Overseer had been on the case for years, Iím not sure if Iíd still take at face value a video of a man bending steel or flipping a police car.

I liked most of the acting, including that of Jackson, McAvoy and, in a real surprise, Spencer Treat Clark. I also liked the footage Shyamalan kept around from 1999. But David has no arc. And the flashbacks, when they appear, hint that there will be a pattern of such introspection in the movie, but itís not there. It feels like there were ideas Shyamalan was building to that the budget forced him to abort, even as he says he had it in his head for 20 years that Elijah would die and that his mother would see to it that all this video got out there.
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote