RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old June 23rd, 2017, 06:17 PM   #661
ranger_scout
Power Ranger

The film just surpassed Mamma Mia to become the highest-grossing live-action film directed a female.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/box-offi...rs-1202477406/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 06:48 PM   #662
⚡TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay
I finally got around to seeing it today.
Pretty much best DC movie I've seen in years.
TuxedoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 06:56 PM   #663
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Maybe that's what confused me. It reminded me of Japanese holdout soldiers like Hiiro Oonoda who spent years stationed after 1945, oblivious that the war was over because the Allies had cut off all communication during it. When someone finally arrived, it took them a while to believe it.

The Amazons' purpose was squandered because they were marooned for centuries in a Bermuda triangle. That could explain lack of physical interaction or communication, but I guess I didn't expect that would extend to being cut off from sensing conflict of any kind, especially one as massive as the war. Especially since they had been created as a result of war, to fight for peace.

You'd think their purpose would allow that one exception so they could relax for years until something really big would snap them out and get them ready to fight. But then we wouldn't have the series.
My thought on that was that it actually required Ares to do something big, to actually use his (as in the god of War) powers, to make "the weapon" sense it. However that's not what he did, as stated in the movie he let humans do it all on their own and just whispered into their ears which is not a power at all.

He also didn't start the war, that was humans. Hardly the first war between nation states since the Amazons left to their island, not even the first war waged across the world or even in the Aegean sea where they were hidden. My line of thinking is that they did not intended to instantly go out every single time a war started, but rather were waiting for the BIG war as empowered, lead, and forced by the Ares they knew of over 2000 years ago, which never happened.
They were waiting for something closer to what the 1986 Wonder Woman comic reboot (which everyone should read if you like Wonder Woman), but he never did that. Which I'm going to say is somehow the fault of the facial hair, the true villain of the film.
McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 07:01 PM   #664
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAster View Post
Which I'm going to say is somehow the fault of the facial hair, the true villain of the film.
Well it was the 1910s, which wasn't a good time in human history for facial hair anyway.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 04:00 AM   #665
Merlin
Blood and Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAster View Post
snip
Makes sense to me.

The movie novelization sucks. It's clearly another book written directly from the screenplay and provides almost no new insight, just narrating what we saw. Little about the movie is indecipherable that it needs the book.

Except the damn God Killer. I'm still eager to know exactly what that Amazonian script on the sword says, but no source anywhere has it. Still have to wait for the Making book I guess.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 04:48 AM   #666
Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alitain View Post
Amazons were a thing before DC created WW, that was my point. People know about Amazons, even if they don't know specifically about DC's Amazons. So a warrior race of woman, called Amazons, on an island with no men isn't shocking, there's no reason to try and explain the lack of men when you know they're Amazons.
Sure, they were a thing before WW, but that doesn't mean they need no explanation as to what they are in this universe. Even if the audience knows Amazons are women only, they probably don't know why or how that works in the context of this movie. The Norse gods were a "thing" before Marvel took up Thor, but in the movie I feel they explained more without shrugging and saying "you've heard of Odin, right? There you go."

Quote:
I took 'smoky grey filter' as something different than how the movie actually looks. Yeah, it's not normal lighting but many movies don't use natural lighting. It has more of a subdued color palette, blue sorta, but I don't think there's a lack of color. Themiscrya, as I said, is almost unnaturally vibrant and colorful because it's a solitary island paradise while London's colors are a definite contrast. Basically anywhere would be a contrast to that island. Still, doesn't lack color I just don't see it as a bad thing, it looked perfectly fine.
I think you and I have different meanings of the word "unnatural". Themyscara, as best I can tell, looked like what it was: looking at the behind the scenes, the beaches were that golden and the sky was that blue, wherever they were filming looks like that. "unnatural" is London looking like it's suffered an attack from this guy:

Quote:
Using a pic of a purposely well lit confined, underground space to compare with an outdoor shot is a bit odd. It doesn't matter to me how Cap was lit compared to WW, the lighting was fine to me that's really all I wanted to say, I just don't think it lacks color or anything like that.
Outdoor? I'm sure if there was a BTS of that shot, it'd be Gal Gadot standing on half of a boat on a green screen. They can control absolutely everything about how their shots look, they made the choice to make everything so dark. A comparison somebody else made was comparing The Dark Knight to Man Of Steel: the red lipstick of The Joker at night was literally brighter than the 'S' on Superman's chest during daytime. Hell, the red and blue on Harley Quinn's booty shorts at night popped more than Wonder Woman's suit during the daytime. You can like the aesthetic they go with or you can dislike it, but there's absolutely no debate to me that they lack colour.

My comparison was to accentuate how bananas it is that a scene in an underground bunker is clearer than what's supposed to be daytime. Even on an overcast day, I've never gone outside and looked at a world so drained of colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
The First Avenger's look was just a little diffuse and Steve's outfit should've popped color-wise like Diana's did in the No Man's Land sequence.
Oh please, tell me more about how drab and uncolourful Cap looked compared to Wonder Woman:

[img]media.comicbook.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-captain-america-first-avenger-war-scenes-1000424.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Spoony Spoonerson; June 24th, 2017 at 06:23 AM.
Spoony Spoonerson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 04:57 AM   #667
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony Spoonerson View Post
SNIP
There will always be a debate on the colour filter. It's life.
AdrenalineRush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #668
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
Apparently, there was more to one member of Steve's crew than most of us knew.

http://www.syfy.com/2017-6-26/this-w...amazing-secret
GoldAnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #669
Merlin
Blood and Gold

I loved him. In addition to that, Patty asked him to pick out his own wardrobe to ensure both respect and historical accuracy for what they would have worn in the 1910s. He had near complete control over his character's representation so that it wouldn't devolve into stereotypes of past characters in other movies.
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #670
GreenDTRanger
Bronze Age > New 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldAnyRanger View Post
Apparently, there was more to one member of Steve's crew than most of us knew.

http://www.syfy.com/2017-6-26/this-w...amazing-secret
Okay, but I was hoping for Apache Chief.
GreenDTRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #671
Merlin
Blood and Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDTRanger View Post
Okay, but I was hoping for Apache Chief.
Apache Chief is exactly the gigantic stereotype they would want to avoid in a film.
Old June 26th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #672
kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

Quote:
Apache Chief is exactly the gigantic stereotype they would want to avoid in a film.
For now. We're barely getting over female hero stereotypes now, though. DC could use an Ant-man.
kibapower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #673
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Quote:
Heh heh, I see what you did there.
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 10:29 PM   #674
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Quote:
Actually, he has been reintroduced to avoid any stereotypes as Manitou Raven in the comics and as Tye Longshadow in Young Justice.
Old June 26th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #675
Alitain
God of Benevolence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalineRush View Post
Actually, he has been reintroduced to avoid any stereotypes as Manitou Raven in the comics and as Tye Longshadow in Young Justice.
I liked how they did it with YJ, as a sorta...giant spirit warrior I think it was, or energy construct hard to remember but either way I thought that was a neat way of doing it cause I remember the old Justice Friends show and always felt that Apache was...kinda lame and odd.
Alitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM   #676
Merlin
Blood and Gold

Even Manitou Raven would never make it on screen. Native Americans and First Nations people are tired of being stereotyped as tomahawk-chucking bow-shooting magical noble savages. AC and MR are tired supernatural shaman characters in touch with the earth, and MR was recruited by Atlanteans to join the "League of Ancients." How New Age can you get? There's also the classic Eurocentric attitude of mixing and matching attributes of Native American groups, having an Apache Indian speak an Inuit word as a magic spell?

Wonder Woman's Chief is none of these things. He doesn't use tribal magic, tomahawks or bows, he knows how to fight with a gun like any person fighting in WW1. Before the revelation by Blackfoot speakers, non-Native people saw someone who was an ordinary man like any other character, no spiritual cliches. It's only the subliminal layer beneath that shows he's no shaman or brave, but a literal god, and the god of one specific group speaking their specific language rather than a hodgepodge of aspects.

Why does this work so well? Because for once they asked an actual Native American actor to properly create a Native American character, instead of dreaming up a stereotypical persona for him than only white people could create.
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #677
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

If you wish to know more http://www.native-languages.org/napi.htm
There is respect and honour there, and just like properly showing off athletic women as the Amazons, we need more of it.

Beyond the respect, let's also remember this helps world building in the Wonder Woman Cinematic Universe (with those other guys and Mera). This means many other cultural powers could theoretically show up in future movies, and there are plenty of comics (90s) to use as influence.

Well, they could even do a mythological Justice League if they wanted. Want an "Ant-Man" for this world, well a spriggan from Cornish lore or Issun-bōshi (One Inch samurai) could fit that role. Why not Barong, the lion like creature that leads spirits agaisnt an evil demon queen with his two sidekicks, the dancing monkeys?
It's all possible now theoretically, and we could use to go beyond the oh so very standard Greek/Roman mythology (no matter how much I love them).

Doubtful of course, still has to sell in the States, Europe, and China first and foremost, but it's nice to consider.
McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #678
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Quote:
Why does this work so well? Because for once they asked an actual Native American actor to properly create a Native American character, instead of dreaming up a stereotypical persona for him than only white people could create.
And it was the right thing to do so as well.