Home Menu

Menu

Old May 12th, 2019, 10:05 PM #201
> SIT SEEYAH
Sleepy

SIT SEEYAH
Sleepy

PhazonRanger wrote: View Post

I've been lurking for years, but I felt the need to post for this one.

RIP Pua
Same here. I only just found out and feel the need to log in and pay my respects.

Ninja Storm revitalized the series and as a kid, it was really cool seeing somebody brown as the Red Ranger. I'm not Samoan mind you, but felt a certain kinship with him based purely on the fact that he was a fellow person of color.

Moreover, he was a great actor and brought an intensity to the role that I liken to Austin St. John. Pua was one of the top actors to appear on Power Rangers easily and placed Shane among the best characters in the franchise. He along with his fellow cast members were strong contenders in my mind to return for even more seasons. They were that good and Ninja Storm is the only other season comparable to Mighty Morphin in that regard. I remember thinking he was so cool when I was 9 way back in 2003.

It's so very sad...condolences to his family who I feel terribly for. My prayers as well.

Rest in peace Pua Magasiva. Gone way too soon.
SIT SEEYAH is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:59 PM #202
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

vze21gwa wrote: View Post

Typical Deadline. There's a reason why TMZ was able to surpass them.
TMZ is full of s***. I won't bother reading them honestly. They are a bunch of idiots that contradict themselves al the time, and that try to make celebrities look like crazy people even when they do stuff normal people do. Or when they said someone who's not actually diagnosed with something should be taking a medicine, even tho they aren't diagnosed, and then they edit they live videos to delete they fake a**es.

Sorry. Little rumble here. Just, don't trust TMZ people, please.
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:06 AM #203
> Zhane
Aussies Rule PR '06 -'09

Zhane
Aussies Rule PR '06 -'09

https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/05/vale-pua-magasiva.html
Zhane is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:29 AM #204
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

RitoRevolto wrote: View Post

John Tellegen wrote:
"Shane's Karma" was my first writing credit.
Seems like Mr. Tellegen was indeed meant to greatness. But I guess that having such a good character like Shane certainly helped him making a good episode.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 03:07 AM #205
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

New Zealand doesn't air Power Rangers, so when a Power Rangers star dies there, the press likely isn't going to notice or publicize it, as the people there won't know who they are unless they did other work.

So although it's sad that they didn't get much coverage, you have to take into account that New Zealand simply doesn't know Power Rangers because they don't air it.
They do now, but only since Samurai, I believe.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 13th, 2019, 05:43 AM #206
> PurpleWindRangr
Visit Unchartedwind.net

PurpleWindRangr
Visit Unchartedwind.net

I've been wanting to post for a couple of days but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. Ninja Storm is a very special team to me and the leader is gone...and so young. He was only 3 years older than me. I normally try to think of eloquent things to say but this time I got nothing. This one hurts. A lot. 2019 has been a hell of a year. Lost my dad back in February. Got diagnosed with cancer myself in March. Now this. Can 2019 just end?

RIP Pua...you will be so very missed.
PurpleWindRangr is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:34 AM #207
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

PurpleWindRangr wrote: View Post

I've been wanting to post for a couple of days but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. Ninja Storm is a very special team to me and the leader is gone...and so young. He was only 3 years older than me. I normally try to think of eloquent things to say but this time I got nothing. This one hurts. A lot. 2019 has been a hell of a year. Lost my dad back in February. Got diagnosed with cancer myself in March. Now this. Can 2019 just end?

RIP Pua...you will be so very missed.
I remember how much Ninja Storm meant to you. Sorry about the other two things, and I hope you beat the cancer.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:44 AM #208
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Why the news reports from New Zealand aren’t specific as to what happened: https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/80143...u-need-to-know

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

I watched Eye of the Storm and Shane’s Karma last night. That last scene between Shane and Porter (Pua and his brother Robbie) really got me.
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:47 AM #209
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

it's been such a sad weekend. I was literally on the final disc of ninja storm, 4 episodes away from the finale and i hear the news on the passing of Pua. While i've had many favorite seasons of power rangers, ninja storm was my return to it after not even completing lost galaxy, missing all of lightspeed and catching a good 90% of time force. I also never watched wild force and only saw the anniversary episodes after the fact. but when i heard disney had power rangers and watching those promos for ninja storm, it brought me back to the franchise. i have such great memories of this show and it's so sad to know he's gone. i really hope it wasn't depression. i just hope it wasn't that. i hope his family can get through this.
Pua, you sexy mofo, say hi to Thuy and Peta.
megagao is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:48 AM #210
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

I posted in the wrong thread earlier. My bad.

Last edited by ranger_scout; May 13th, 2019 at 08:29 AM.
ranger_scout is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:52 AM #211
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

Legendary actress Doris Day has passed away at 97.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...130602906.html
Wrong thread. This thread got broken out from the other one
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:00 AM #212
> PurpleWindRangr
Visit Unchartedwind.net

PurpleWindRangr
Visit Unchartedwind.net

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

I remember how much Ninja Storm meant to you. Sorry about the other two things, and I hope you beat the cancer.
Thank you so much. I appreciate that a lot.
PurpleWindRangr is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:16 AM #213
> NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

When Ninja Storm was announced there was alot of uncertainty among fans, myself included. However, Pua's role as Shane drove a lot of those uncertainties away. He played off his Co stars well with electric chemistry. Great ADR, awesome stage presence. Pua made the Thunderstorm team up brilliant. With all that said for his acting I have heard nothing but good things over the years about him personally. My heart goes out to his wife, brother and daughter at this time.
NinjaJack is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:30 AM #214
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Wrong thread. This thread got broken out from the other one
Thanks I fixed it.
ranger_scout is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 09:53 AM #215
> vze21gwa
Power Ranger

vze21gwa
Power Ranger

Dexter1998 wrote: View Post

TMZ is full of s***. I won't bother reading them honestly. They are a bunch of idiots that contradict themselves al the time, and that try to make celebrities look like crazy people even when they do stuff normal people do. Or when they said someone who's not actually diagnosed with something should be taking a medicine, even tho they aren't diagnosed, and then they edit they live videos to delete they fake a**es.

Sorry. Little rumble here. Just, don't trust TMZ people, please.
TMZ is actually well respected. The TV show is one thing, the press is another. They were the first to break some news. A quick WIkipedia search shows they were first to reveal on Rihanna and Mel Gibson, as well as Britney Spears. They have earned there respect in many ways.

The Tv show is more comedic than not. So I could understand where you're coming from.
vze21gwa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 11:07 AM #216
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

Why the news reports from New Zealand aren’t specific as to what happened: https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/80143...u-need-to-know
Not reporting the method of someone's suicide makes perfect sense, that's not the general public's business. But to avoid the subject altogether doesn't do anyone any good.

Every sudden death is a learning experience on some level, we shouldn't be denied that information just because a few people are going to abuse it, especially when the news is just sidestepping the actual words anyway.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:51 PM #217
> Judge Joker
Goodbye, bro!

Judge Joker
Goodbye, bro!

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

Not reporting the method of someone's suicide makes perfect sense, that's not the general public's business. But to avoid the subject altogether doesn't do anyone any good.
As I read this, I'm having a conversation with my friend about how mental health is portrayed and handled by the media at large. I cannot stress enough how throughout my years of psychologist-training, I have been completely, 100% against the media blanking discussion of suicide. Suicide is not contagious. It isn't something anyone can 'catch'. If someone is suicidal or showing suicidal tenancies, not talking about it is not going to help them. Instead, the media as a whole has a responsibility to help society normalise mental health challenges such as suicide and the issues that can lead to suicide.

Also, none of the Power Rangers social media feeds have even acknowledged Pua's passing. That really pisses me off.

Last edited by Judge Joker; May 13th, 2019 at 01:17 PM.
Judge Joker is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:39 PM #218
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

I watched Eye of the Storm and Shane’s Karma last night. That last scene between Shane and Porter (Pua and his brother Robbie) really got me.
I haven't seen anything to suggest it was suicide though? Where are people getting that idea? Did I miss something?

Last I saw, the cause of death was still unknown. The press can't really publish anything about cause of death when the coroner hasn't released their findings.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:44 PM #219
> ⚡Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay
Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay

It's been discussed in the thread.

Peter wrote: View Post

I don't want to drift too far off-topic, but in one of my college journalism classes, a journalist explained it that, the media used to be very wary of stating "this person took their own life" because of the idea that suicide was contagious (it might inspire other people to do so). So they developed a code. That phrase -- "no suspicious circumstances" -- is journalist-talk for saying, "this person took their own life". It was an informal rule that media outlets tend to stick to. In Australia, the rules have changed recently. There was a couple of studies that said, this talking-around-suicide habit wasn't actually helping, and might've been making the problem worse. So the discussion, in the Australian media, is a bit more open about the issue. But the report about Pua came from a Kiwi outlet, and they probably still operate under the old guidelines.
While it's not explicitly stated... the wording is what are leading to assumptions. That and the links that were under the story.
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:49 PM #220
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

I haven't seen anything to suggest it was suicide though? Where are people getting that idea? Did I miss something?

Last I saw, the cause of death was still unknown. The press can't really publish anything about cause of death when the coroner hasn't released their findings.
Almost every article that reported his death dropped the suicide hot line link at the end. Thats a sign..
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote