Home Menu

Menu

Old May 10th, 2019, 12:13 PM #81
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

SmashZ wrote: View Post

Trains did well for Sentai compared to other recent shows though (still nowhere close to Rider's peak). Lupinranger vs Patranger had an unique theme as a series, but the toys were completely standard vehicle mecha. They even made a big mistake in making just a generic base for both the Lupinranger and Patranger rather than making each one of their main mecha completely unique. I think Sentai nowadays really suffers from being tied to tradition.

The suit designs are simple, which limits toy gimmicks tied to them. So, all gimmicks go to the mecha, which are often sidelined in the shows and those gimmicks often result in bad designs for the mecha in order to support them (like all cubes for Zyuohger or all spheres for Kyuranger). Here is where the lack of suit-gimmicks also hurts Sentai though - If you look at Rider sales it has been very clear that collectibles associated with forms (see OOO, Gaim, Build or Zi-O) do much better than collectibles associated with just special abilities or attacks (Wizard's rings, Drive's shift cars and wheels). Sentai doesn't have widespread form changing like Rider has, so even when it has collectibles they're seen as less valuable.

Keep in mind that Drive didn't really have a "police" motif. The suits were just car/bike themed (which used to be a common motif, but hasn't been done in a direct way in a long time), with the police stuff being just story-based. I'd guess Bandai doesn't want Rider stepping on Sentai's motifs or the other way around, which is why Drive only happened after Sentai had basically abandoned "cars" as a motif by itself.

I think this is another point where Sentai's appeal gets limited though. Rider gets a videogame toyline and yet heavily plays up doctors for the story drama. Sentai seems to just go with the toy motif they get and do little beyond that, which gives it a more limited appeal.
It is obvious that Lupinpat was a season that was designed to be barebones. It wasn't crazy out there gimmick season it kept it simple with the basics and some expansion. They could have gone completely out there with it but they didn't.

As for Drive did have 1 police design but beyond that you're completely right it didn't have a copy motif and considering the season it should had. Still it didn't so can't change the past.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:49 PM #82
> LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer

LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer

PowerPhantom245 wrote: View Post

I was not aware about that interview; much like not casting Caucasian actor for Ian/Black (...since his character has ENGLISH FULL NAME and from Europe), it sounds like another wasted potential and opportunity.
These two things are not the same. Also you do realize that people of asian descent can live in Europe and can have a western-sounding name, yeah? Like just because you had the idea that they could've done that, doesn't mean it was ever actually on the table.
LazerwolfX is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:31 AM #83
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

SmashZ wrote: View Post

Keep in mind that Drive didn't really have a "police" motif. The suits were just car/bike themed (which used to be a common motif, but hasn't been done in a direct way in a long time), with the police stuff being just story-based. I'd guess Bandai doesn't want Rider stepping on Sentai's motifs or the other way around, which is why Drive only happened after Sentai had basically abandoned "cars" as a motif by itself.

I think this is another point where Sentai's appeal gets limited though. Rider gets a videogame toyline and yet heavily plays up doctors for the story drama. Sentai seems to just go with the toy motif they get and do little beyond that, which gives it a more limited appeal.
So, Drive was essentially police AND car/bike theme; best of both worlds from popular themes of Sentai!
Nice analysis regarding Sentai/Rider motif difference.

LazerwolfX wrote: View Post

These two things are not the same. Also you do realize that people of asian descent can live in Europe and can have a western-sounding name, yeah? Like just because you had the idea that they could've done that, doesn't mean it was ever actually on the table.
To be fair, I do know someone named Bobby Scott (not his real name) who is Chinese American (both parents are Chinese American Citizen BTW), so I can see where you are coming from, but when it come to TELEVISION show that established a character from Europe and has both ENGLISH name (FIRST AND LAST), I would have expected FULL Caucasian or Half similar to Justin Tominori (Shun/Fourze) who was half-Australian.
I mean, would you expect character named Jae-Woo from Korea, portrayed by African American actor?

I just felt the show would have benefited if they cast Caucasian actor; especially, since the show introduced Caucasian character (Ramirez/Cyan I) very early (5) anyway.
It's kind of interesting how Western Culture (USA) criticize "Whitewashing" for live action movies (Dragonball Evolution, The Last Airbender, Netflix Death Note, Ghost in the Shell (though the movie was decent), etc.)... yet in Asian Culture/Society, there are no problem with "Yellow-washing" (or "Asian-Washing" in my dictionary ) for casting Asian actor for character who was blatantly obviously written or meant to be portrayed by Caucasian actor.
....such a weird world I live in.
Then again, there are so many things that doesn't make any sense... like my bowel.

I'm aware that foreigner is minority group in Japan (0.6% of population) and most of them are not in showbiz (even though, Foreigner Celebrity has been growing over the last decade), but if you establish character as foreigner or from foreign country, it is writer/director/producer to do so, and unfortunately, Kyoryuger failed to do so abysmally (yes, it applies to Ramirez as well, despite portrayed by foreigner, he was pretty wasted). Ian would have been generic fashion model from Japan and it wouldn't have made difference what so ever.
What was a point of making him from Europe with English name in a first place?
My point is that principle of matter is similar regarding wasted potential and opportunity for Nossan and Ian, and that's one of the biggest issues I had with Kyoryuger.
There has been foreigner ranger in MAIN team in the past (Jiraiya/NinjaBlack (Actor Kane Kosugi is AMERICAN, not Japanese), so it's not like they couldn't have done it.

I'm kind of curious if this is reason why there hasn't been Caucasian Kamen Rider. There has been Foreigner Kamen Riders in the past (Psyga (555) and Eternal (W)), but those were reserved for movies or V-Cinema Spin-off and not as TV-series. When Fourze was airing, I thought Shun was going to be secondary Rider (or one of the founding members), so I was somewhat disappointed he didn't (though I did like Ryusei/Meteor, despite not liking show too much).
Do Toei really think Foreigner Rider is not profitable?
Kamen Rider franchise is stable right now, unlike Sentai which is brink of cancellation, it's not like they couldn't take risk.

If the upcoming theme is going to be "businessman" (which seems unlikely), I think foreigner would be perfect as sub/secondary rider IMO.
I can see a character name William Brookheimer Jr., a businessman from Britain (portrayed by Britain or Caucasian...maybe James Davies (Chase/DinoCharge Black) ), as Kamen Rider Esquire or something.
I think it's time for some change for franchise in Reiwa Era IMO.
PowerPhantom245 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:57 AM #84
> The No More Hero
Power Ranger

The No More Hero
Power Ranger

I feel like "Spider-Man" gets thrown around every year when potential themes for the next rider is "leaked"

I mean, I know Spider-Man actually has done a lot for toku but I think it's just mostly because he's a bug themed superhero and connecting him to a franchise of bug themed superheroes isn't a hard connection to make.

Then again, Avengers is a worldwide phenomenon (especially w/ Endgame) and Far From Home is coming out this summer. And Japan loves the Iron Spider since he edges closer to Kamen Rider. So Toei might try to capitalize on that.
The No More Hero is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 09:24 AM #85
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I'm more hoping for the "spider man" idea due to the double play: obviously the Marvel version but also just it being the reference back to the very first episode of the very first Rider series as the very first Kaijin...and with the last Rider before the 50th celebration begins, what better way to cap off the first fifty years than with, finally, a spider Rider main. (yeah there's been Spider Riders before but as a main we still need one)
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 09:36 AM #86
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Spider theme rider could be done bigger issue would be gimmicks and such. We just had a spider themed villain in one of the Build movies. So maybe Arachnids as the theme not just spiders. You can have scorpions and a whole list of different variations on Arachnids. Also keeps to the generic "insect" theme even though of course arachnids aren't insects.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:08 AM #87
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Some sad news. Looks like an important outlet for leaks and news has passed away. This was one of the examples of information he provided.

https://news.tokunation.com/2013/01/...-in-action-874

News of his passing

https://twitter.com/TheTokuNet/statu...89848248815616
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:17 AM #88
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

Gold Samurai wrote: View Post

Some sad news. Looks like an important outlet for leaks and news has passed away. This was one of the examples of information he provided.

News of his passing

First Pua (Shane/Ninja Storm Red) and now this?
This week has not been great for toku.
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:38 AM #89
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai wrote: View Post

News of his passing

Sad they for Power Rangers and Super Sentai ! Rest in Peace..
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:19 AM #90
> DekaRed Prime
Plus Ultra!

DekaRed Prime
Plus Ultra!

The closest we had in tokusatsu so far, was Nossan/KyoryuBlue (Kyoryuger), where he was surrogate father (sort of) to his niece. I wouldn't mind uncle rider as well.
And from another Dino Sentai, Ryouga/Abared who was his neice's guardian.
DekaRed Prime is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:44 AM #91
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

DekaRed Prime wrote: View Post

And from another Dino Sentai, Ryouga/Abared who was his neice's guardian.
Oh yeah. Completely forgot about that.
  • Red T-Rex Ranger
  • 1 Female Ranger for Main Team
  • Evil Ranger
  • Dead Ranger
  • Uncle/Guardian Ranger
Dino Sentai sure love to repetition.
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:53 AM #92
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

^ Dino Sentais love the concept !!! I suppose for another KR Season they had to make another diferent theme but they can really used the popularity of Endgame and Spider-Men
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:29 PM #93
> FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

Could still have a spider incorporated into the design without necessarily being spider-themed. Animal + something else is relatively easy - for example in Shinobi the formula (from two but still) seems to be animal + weapon.
FerrousMaelstrom is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 12:59 PM #94
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

Oh yeah. Completely forgot about that.
  • Red T-Rex Ranger
  • 1 Female Ranger for Main Team
  • Evil Ranger
  • Dead Ranger
  • Uncle/Guardian Ranger
Dino Sentai sure love to repetition.
Careful, people will mock you for even suggesting the dino sentais resemble each other.

As for Spider-Man I'd love for a spider themed main rider.
maslego is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 01:02 PM #95
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

maslego wrote: View Post

Careful, people will mock you for even suggesting the dino sentais resemble each other.
Toei: I love REPEATING formula for Dino Sentai! (fan rejoice and success)
Neo-Saban/Saban Brands: Hold my beer for REPEATING formula of MMPR (hated by fan and failure)

Old May 12th, 2019, 01:14 PM #96
> sylarking
Power Ranger

sylarking
Power Ranger

So, Drive was essentially police AND car/bike theme; best of both worlds from popular themes of Sentai!
Nice analysis regarding Sentai/Rider motif difference.

To be fair, I do know someone named Bobby Scott (not his real name) who is Chinese American (both parents are Chinese American Citizen BTW), so I can see where you are coming from, but when it come to TELEVISION show that established a character from Europe and has both ENGLISH name (FIRST AND LAST), I would have expected FULL Caucasian or Half similar to Justin Tominori (Shun/Fourze) who was half-Australian.
I mean, would you expect character named Jae-Woo from Korea, portrayed by African American actor?

I just felt the show would have benefited if they cast Caucasian actor; especially, since the show introduced Caucasian character (Ramirez/Cyan I) very early (5) anyway.
It's kind of interesting how Western Culture (USA) criticize "Whitewashing" for live action movies (Dragonball Evolution, The Last Airbender, Netflix Death Note, Ghost in the Shell (though the movie was decent), etc.)... yet in Asian Culture/Society, there are no problem with "Yellow-washing" (or "Asian-Washing" in my dictionary ) for casting Asian actor for character who was blatantly obviously written or meant to be portrayed by Caucasian actor.
....such a weird world I live in.
Then again, there are so many things that doesn't make any sense... like my bowel.

I'm aware that foreigner is minority group in Japan (0.6% of population) and most of them are not in showbiz (even though, Foreigner Celebrity has been growing over the last decade), but if you establish character as foreigner or from foreign country, it is writer/director/producer to do so, and unfortunately, Kyoryuger failed to do so abysmally (yes, it applies to Ramirez as well, despite portrayed by foreigner, he was pretty wasted). Ian would have been generic fashion model from Japan and it wouldn't have made difference what so ever.
What was a point of making him from Europe with English name in a first place?
My point is that principle of matter is similar regarding wasted potential and opportunity for Nossan and Ian, and that's one of the biggest issues I had with Kyoryuger.
There has been foreigner ranger in MAIN team in the past (Jiraiya/NinjaBlack (Actor Kane Kosugi is AMERICAN, not Japanese), so it's not like they couldn't have done it.

I'm kind of curious if this is reason why there hasn't been Caucasian Kamen Rider. There has been Foreigner Kamen Riders in the past (Psyga (555) and Eternal (W)), but those were reserved for movies or V-Cinema Spin-off and not as TV-series. When Fourze was airing, I thought Shun was going to be secondary Rider (or one of the founding members), so I was somewhat disappointed he didn't (though I did like Ryusei/Meteor, despite not liking show too much).
Do Toei really think Foreigner Rider is not profitable?
Kamen Rider franchise is stable right now, unlike Sentai which is brink of cancellation, it's not like they couldn't take risk.

If the upcoming theme is going to be "businessman" (which seems unlikely), I think foreigner would be perfect as sub/secondary rider IMO.
I can see a character name William Brookheimer Jr., a businessman from Britain (portrayed by Britain or Caucasian...maybe James Davies (Chase/DinoCharge Black) ), as Kamen Rider Esquire or something.
I think it's time for some change for franchise in Reiwa Era IMO.
Why do you want Caucasian Kamen Rider so bad?
sylarking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 01:17 PM #97
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

sylarking wrote: View Post

Why do you want Caucasian Kamen Rider so bad?
Why can I not have Caucasian Kamen Rider? lol
Old May 12th, 2019, 01:20 PM #98
> sylarking
Power Ranger

sylarking
Power Ranger

Why can I not have Caucasian Kamen Rider? lol
Can you answer my question first?
sylarking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 01:39 PM #99
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

sylarking wrote: View Post

Can you answer my question first?
Why should I answer your question?
lol XD

...ok, Iím just kidding on that part.

The reason I want Caucasian Rider is that I think it would be interesting to introduce something new and refreshing for New Era/Reiwa Era for franchise. Not to mention, there are more foreigner celebrities/actors compared to the 10~20 years ago, so I think itís a perfect opportunity to do so.
Old May 12th, 2019, 02:49 PM #100
> Ultimatecalibur
Power Ranger

Ultimatecalibur
Power Ranger

One tricky thing about Japanese hints is that the hint may be based on something secondary or tertiary to the hint.

Several years ago Spider-Man was used as the hint for a new class/job in the MMO Final Fantasy XIV. It turn out that the hint was for Samurai from the Japanese pronunciation of Sam Raimi's name (Samu Rai)mi.
Ultimatecalibur is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote