Home Menu

Menu

Old May 10th, 2019, 02:03 AM #61
> Timeline15
Power Ranger

Timeline15
Power Ranger

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

I mean, he didn't make his own suit. He needed a shady scientist to make it for him. So I guess a better comparison would be if Sento from Build had lots of money?

Either way, the collectables being cases seems hard to believe, but then again this is the company what monetised bottles, eyeballs, and padlocks, so I guess it's possible.
Timeline15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 05:26 AM #62
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

This is more of what I'd like to see, but I've always wanted a Rider series that plays up the "mask" part of "Masked Rider." Like a series like Drive but he swaps out masks instead of tires. I feel like that'd be a good gimmick for the first Reiwa-era show.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 05:28 AM #63
> screamqueen
Power Ranger

screamqueen
Power Ranger

Timeline15 wrote: View Post

I mean, he didn't make his own suit. He needed a shady scientist to make it for him. So I guess a better comparison would be if Sento from Build had lots of money?
This + the suggestion of "Spiderman/younger lead" is making me picture Richie Rich. Not sure if want
screamqueen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 05:35 AM #64
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

PowerPhantom245 wrote: View Post

I don't get the meme (I NEVER studied Meme-ology ), but OK?
My point is that if American studio EVER decided to make their own original Kamen Rider series or completely original tokusatsu show, we probably would have gotten female lead heroes; especially due to saturation what we got from DC (Wonder Woman), Marvel (Captain Marvel, upcoming Black Widow, etc.). etc. (Doctor Who).
Compared to men movies? In the last year we will have 3 marvel movies. 2 of which focus men or majority men movies while 1 is focused on a woman which is the very first marvel movie focused on a woman. I think you're looking to much into things. Having slight representation and slight focus isn't saturation it is well about damn time.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 10th, 2019, 05:56 AM #65
> Visser Three
Power Ranger

Visser Three
Power Ranger

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

Compared to men movies? In the last year we will have 3 marvel movies. 2 of which focus men or majority men movies while 1 is focused on a woman which is the very first marvel movie focused on a woman. I think you're looking to much into things. Having slight representation and slight focus isn't saturation it is well about damn time.
The comics actually are over saturated but that's not a discussion for this thread.
Visser Three is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:24 AM #66
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Visser Three wrote: View Post

The comics actually are over saturated
The comics are fine. There's no "over-saturation", you're just used to media focusing almost entirely on men.

Anyway. I'd love a lead female Rider, but I'm not expecting it to happen as a main-line show for all the reasons usually discussed. A Rider show in the vein of Amazons would be a pretty solid vehicle for a female lead, though.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:51 AM #67
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

...I really shouldn't have opened a can of worms regarding lack of female MAIN Kamen Rider and SJW in Japan; that should be thread of its own (even though, it most likely gets closed. )

Speaking of upcoming rumored themed of "businessman" Rider, it's kind of interesting that Rider franchise has been taking and experimenting with unique motif in recent years (Video Game Doctor, Scientist, Time Travel, etc.), resulting very good toy sales, yet Sentai, which is currently in crisis (sort of), did similar (Trains, Animals Cube, Space, Police vs Thief) yet the toys sales hasn't been too good. I still baffles me that we live in the world where Fruit Samurai does better than Train or Scientist with Bottle better than Space Squardons; even simple theme as Ghost and Magic (Wizard) outperformed Animal Cubes.

It kinds of make me wonder what if Rider had more of a similar motif to sentai (Dinosaur, Ninja (like Shinobi), Animals, etc.). I would like to see dinosaur motif Kamen Rider for once; paleontologist rider with fossil chip/disc collector item would be interesting.
The closest I could think of in recent years was Kamen Rider Drive, where we FINALLY got police MAIN Kamen Rider, since police motif is popular in Sentai (Timeranger, Dekaranger, and later Patranger).
I'm curious if "businessman" Sentai would work, if it ever last that long.
PowerPhantom245 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:55 AM #68
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

The comics are fine. There's no "over-saturation", you're just used to media focusing almost entirely on men.

Anyway. I'd love a lead female Rider, but I'm not expecting it to happen as a main-line show for all the reasons usually discussed. A Rider show in the vein of Amazons would be a pretty solid vehicle for a female lead, though.
A female rider show in the vein of Amazons would also give you the testing grounds for the possibility of a main female in the main franchise show.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:05 AM #69
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

...I really shouldn't have opened a can of worms regarding lack of female MAIN Kamen Rider and SJW in Japan; that should be thread of its own (even though, it most likely gets closed. )

Speaking of upcoming rumored themed of "businessman" Rider, it's kind of interesting that Rider franchise has been taking and experimenting with unique motif in recent years (Video Game Doctor, Scientist, Time Travel, etc.), resulting very good toy sales, yet Sentai, which is currently in crisis (sort of), did similar (Trains, Animals Cube, Space, Police vs Thief) yet the toys sales hasn't been too good. I still baffles me that we live in the world where Fruit Samurai does better than Train or Scientist with Bottle better than Space Squardons; even simple theme as Ghost and Magic (Wizard) outperformed Animal Cubes.

It kinds of make me wonder what if Rider had more of a similar motif to sentai (Dinosaur, Ninja (like Shinobi), Animals, etc.). I would like to see dinosaur motif Kamen Rider for once; paleontologist rider with fossil chip/disc collector item would be interesting.
The closest I could think of in recent years was Kamen Rider Drive, where we FINALLY got police MAIN Kamen Rider, since police motif is popular in Sentai (Timeranger, Dekaranger, and later Patranger).
KR just prints money for Bandai as is and basically hits all the demographics (kids older than Sentai who want individual badasses, the housewives who want dreamy male heroes, the older fans who have connections to past Riders somehow or another). Unfortunately with Sentai sort of stuck with it being seen as "younger" and it's "team dynamic", it's always had a hard time, especially since post-Gokaiger. As for why Japan doesn't click with any of Sentai's experiments...that's tough to say but considering the toys are first and foremost, that probably is one of the big problems: getting toys that fly off the shelves while having a show that people watch; and while some series do have the interest (see the recent "LuPat is the #2 Sentai in polling despite it's ratings), that's why we're in the situation we're in.
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:16 AM #70
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

Ataruman wrote: View Post

KR just prints money for Bandai as is and basically hits all the demographics (kids older than Sentai who want individual badasses, the housewives who want dreamy male heroes, the older fans who have connections to past Riders somehow or another). Unfortunately with Sentai sort of stuck with it being seen as "younger" and it's "team dynamic", it's always had a hard time, especially since post-Gokaiger. As for why Japan doesn't click with any of Sentai's experiments...that's tough to say but considering the toys are first and foremost, that probably is one of the big problems: getting toys that fly off the shelves while having a show that people watch; and while some series do have the interest (see the recent "LuPat is the #2 Sentai in polling despite it's ratings), that's why we're in the situation we're in.
Speaking of housewives, if upcoming Rider really is going to be businessman, I wouldn't mind having housewife Rider (main hero wife ) as partner.
Unlike, USA where there has been a "father hero" (Hawkeye/Ronin, Ant-Man (divorcee), Drax, etc.), it would be interesting to see "older" Rider (Hibiki) again as family man or something; though it's very unlikely since Japanese movie/TV industry tends to hire late teen~early 20's for tokusatsu heroes. The closest we had in tokusatsu so far, was Nossan/KyoryuBlue (Kyoryuger), where he was surrogate father (sort of) to his niece. I wouldn't mind uncle rider as well.
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:27 AM #71
> LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer

LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer

AkaCornSnackEtc wrote: View Post

So...the "PC and SJW" was unironic?
Thank You!
LazerwolfX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:49 AM #72
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

Keep in mind the hints, are hints. They're not always directly speaking to design or motif of the show.

And as I've discussed elsewhere- the conditions for a main female rider to happen are not as easy as some people make it seem to be. That's such a dangerous marketing move for Toei and Bandai, and there's no reason for them to take the risk.

Last edited by Dukemon; May 10th, 2019 at 07:54 AM.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 08:16 AM #73
> screamqueen
Power Ranger

screamqueen
Power Ranger

Speaking of housewives, if upcoming Rider really is going to be businessman, I wouldn't mind having housewife Rider (main hero wife ) as partner.
Unlike, USA where there has been a "father hero" (Hawkeye/Ronin, Ant-Man (divorcee), Drax, etc.), it would be interesting to see "older" Rider (Hibiki) again as family man or something; though it's very unlikely since Japanese movie/TV industry tends to hire late teen~early 20's for tokusatsu heroes. The closest we had in tokusatsu so far, was Nossan/KyoryuBlue (Kyoryuger), where he was surrogate father (sort of) to his niece. I wouldn't mind uncle rider as well.
Kyoryuger's writer once said in an interview that Toei wouldn't let him give Blue a wife and daughter, so they had to be his sister and niece instead. That said, Sentai's target audience is really young (pre-school age), it's understandable why kids that young wouldn't relate to a character in this situation whereas Kamen Rider's audience might go for it. Toei certainly seemed to think Shinnosuke/Kiriko was the best thing ever
screamqueen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:05 AM #74
> FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

Geed gave us a salaryman Ultra host, a Kamen Rider with a similar life situation could be possible.
FerrousMaelstrom is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:15 AM #75
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger

Dukemon wrote: View Post

And as I've discussed elsewhere- the conditions for a main female rider to happen are not as easy as some people make it seem to be. That's such a dangerous marketing move for Toei and Bandai, and there's no reason for them to take the risk.

You got me there. lol

screamqueen wrote: View Post

Kyoryuger's writer once said in an interview that Toei wouldn't let him give Blue a wife and daughter, so they had to be his sister and niece instead. That said, Sentai's target audience is really young (pre-school age), it's understandable why kids that young wouldn't relate to a character in this situation whereas Kamen Rider's audience might go for it. Toei certainly seemed to think Shinnosuke/Kiriko was the best thing ever
I was not aware about that interview; much like not casting Caucasian actor for Ian/Black (...since his character has ENGLISH FULL NAME and from Europe), it sounds like another wasted potential and opportunity. Then again, even if they did made him father, the show wouldn’t have been better since writing and directing were pretty bad. Though, in this scenario, I can sort of understand that decision, since Toei really wanted to “play safe”, due to failure/underperformance of Go-busters.
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:18 AM #76
> SmashZ
Power Ranger

SmashZ
Power Ranger

Trains did well for Sentai compared to other recent shows though (still nowhere close to Rider's peak). Lupinranger vs Patranger had an unique theme as a series, but the toys were completely standard vehicle mecha. They even made a big mistake in making just a generic base for both the Lupinranger and Patranger rather than making each one of their main mecha completely unique. I think Sentai nowadays really suffers from being tied to tradition.

The suit designs are simple, which limits toy gimmicks tied to them. So, all gimmicks go to the mecha, which are often sidelined in the shows and those gimmicks often result in bad designs for the mecha in order to support them (like all cubes for Zyuohger or all spheres for Kyuranger). Here is where the lack of suit-gimmicks also hurts Sentai though - If you look at Rider sales it has been very clear that collectibles associated with forms (see OOO, Gaim, Build or Zi-O) do much better than collectibles associated with just special abilities or attacks (Wizard's rings, Drive's shift cars and wheels). Sentai doesn't have widespread form changing like Rider has, so even when it has collectibles they're seen as less valuable.

Keep in mind that Drive didn't really have a "police" motif. The suits were just car/bike themed (which used to be a common motif, but hasn't been done in a direct way in a long time), with the police stuff being just story-based. I'd guess Bandai doesn't want Rider stepping on Sentai's motifs or the other way around, which is why Drive only happened after Sentai had basically abandoned "cars" as a motif by itself.

I think this is another point where Sentai's appeal gets limited though. Rider gets a videogame toyline and yet heavily plays up doctors for the story drama. Sentai seems to just go with the toy motif they get and do little beyond that, which gives it a more limited appeal.
SmashZ is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:55 AM #77
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

Either way, the collectables being cases seems hard to believe, but then again this is the company what monetised bottles, eyeballs, and padlocks, so I guess it's possible.
Hmmm maybe the cases are like cases for cds or cassettes?

Also maybe the Rider works for a business and learns they're evil but is in too deep to leave so he attacks from both sides. He acts as the Rider to stop them but acts within to hinder them?
maslego is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:02 AM #78
> SparkyYoungUpstart
Power Ranger

SparkyYoungUpstart
Power Ranger

The main rider is an idol guy with music powers and the rival is his agent with Business powers. And then we have a girl idol as the tertiary rider.
SparkyYoungUpstart is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:29 AM #79
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

You might be onto something.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 12:00 PM #80
> yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

Honestly I didn't think about that stuff when I said that my thing was first the rumors were music and then businessman and the only character I could think of those things together with was Jem
yami senshi youkaiou is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote