Home Menu

Menu

Old March 8th, 2019, 11:54 PM #21
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

He plays ball.

Don't get me wrong - there is a wide gap between his imagined influence, and his real influence.
What do you think that means though? He plays ball, sure, but all that means is he shows up when called and doesn't diss the show. That doesn't really translate into any kind of influence, if anything it displays the opposite situation, where he's constantly under the show's influence.

TuxedoK wrote: View Post

Pretty much this.
I don't really want to see this thread devolve into that subject matter.
That's totally fair, I was just incredibly shocked to learn all this information now, instead of during the peak of JDF hate sessions a few years back.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 11:58 PM #22
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Pixelated Prophet wrote: View Post

Back on topic the suit looks fugly and looks like they just added a skirt to some cheap party store costume.
That said, Titty has a point.

Hasbro is notorious for going after people who violate their copyright. (There's even a Reddit thread for My Little Pony fanartists on how to stop their works from getting Cease and Desists: https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepon...taken_down_by/)

Hell, they literally threatened ISIS with lawsuits for their executioner being too similar to COBRA.

---

So unless JDF had a contract with Saban that now is with Hasbro to make said costume and make a short film with it, he's in for quite a shock when he gets a cease and desist. Hasbro's not going to care if he's a veteran ranger. Green Ranger V2 belongs to them now, due to the fact he had to have signed over the rights for it to go in Legacy Wars.

Considering the picture he posted is from a convention, which implies it likely amounted to profits for him (from autographs/pictures) I'm pretty sure they could actually sue him, not just issue cease and desist.

So he REALLY better hope he has a contract to use that suit and make said film he is spouting about, and isn't just assuming Hasbro is as Kosher as Saban.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:03 AM #23
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

all that means is he shows up when called and doesn't diss the show. That doesn't really translate into any kind of influence, if anything it displays the opposite situation, where he's constantly under the show's influence.
The last part is 100% accurate.

Back in the day, you had more clearly-defined arms. The show, plus 2 movies, Bandai handling the toy stuff and licensors handled theirs.

These days?

One of Hasbro's strongest media arms for PR the "Neo Saban Power Rangers" channel. Or is the official channel hosting video with their watermark? I can't even tell.

People are imbuing a lot of traits onto Hasbro - they have a lot of money, they know best, they don't need him - but I think Hasbro is smart enough to exploit a valuable resource.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:05 AM #24
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Hey JDF, stop trying to turn your daughter into the next you. NOBODY CARES!
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:09 AM #25
> ⚡TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay
TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay

Now that I think about it, I think I've meet this daughter before.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, that was almost 9 years ago.

That's totally fair, I was just incredibly shocked to learn all this information now, instead of during the peak of JDF hate sessions a few years back.
And right? Given the way this fandom is, I'm am super surprised too it's never been brought up before.

I always thought he just had 2 kids.
TuxedoK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:09 AM #26
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

The last part is 100% accurate.

Back in the day, you had more clearly-defined arms. The show, plus 2 movies, Bandai handling the toy stuff and licensors handled theirs.

These days?

One of Hasbro's strongest media arms for PR the "Neo Saban Power Rangers" channel. Or is the official channel hosting video with their watermark? I can't even tell.

People are imbuing a lot of traits onto Hasbro - they have a lot of money, they know best, they don't need him - but I think Hasbro is smart enough to exploit a valuable resource.
Last I checked, Neo Saban is a fan-run channel. Unless they took it over from the fan.
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:11 AM #27
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

Considering the picture he posted is from a convention, which implies it likely amounted to profits for him (from autographs/pictures) I'm pretty sure they could actually sue him, not just issue cease and desist.
So then was it for a panel or was it just a booth showing off costumes? There must be more to it than a JDF facebook post.

I don't understand this point. The only difference is Hasbro is the owner now, while also doing the toys and licensing, which should only make it more clearly defined than before. It's less hands in the pot.

Hasbro bought up the channel and renamed it.

What's the resource though? JDF's value is in nostalgia, all they have to do is let him exist and he'll sell himself based on their product.

What do you think influence means?
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:15 AM #28
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

Last I checked, Neo Saban is a fan-run channel. Unless they took it over from the fan.
The "prsamcast" account is called "Power Rangers Official" and hosts video with the "Neo Saban Power Rangers" watermark.

I don't understand this point.
Social media is valuable. It's why Hasbro bought a fan account. It's why they ought use JDF.
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:20 AM #29
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Huh. Interesting. Had no idea Hasbro bought up the fan channel. Do they have their people upload videos, or did they just hire the fan to keep it going?

That explains why their videos suddenly started getting hundreds of thousands of views per week, Hasbro probably has them linked to their official website and social media accounts.
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:23 AM #30
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Social media is valuable. It's why Hasbro bought a fan account. It's why they ought use JDF.
Yeah, that's different from "having input and influence" though.

I guess I just don't know what you meant by "clearly defined arms". As nothing about that's changed, only who's attached to those arms. Even adding a social media arm to the brand is still on the owner. What do you think they should use JDF for?
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:25 AM #31
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

He advertises the show better than Nick (when it behooves him), and they don't pay him six figures.

Not unlike Bruno - he's the single best asset Hasbro has in terms of toy advertisement, and he's not even their asset (nor liability).
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:34 AM #32
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Yeah, that's different from "having input and influence" though.

I guess I just don't know what you meant by "clearly defined arms". As nothing about that's changed, only who's attached to those arms. Even adding a social media arm to the brand is still on the owner. What do you think they should use JDF for?
Using someone from a season 26 years ago probably is not what Hasbro would have in mind in the first place. They aren't trying to target people who are almost old enough to be grandparents.

Show came out in 93. Target Audience average? 9. Let's be generous and say kids have kids at 18. That's 9 years. 18 years later, 27 years. Now if we aren't generous and say they had kids at 16 and their kids had kids at 16, they could have a grandkid that's almost at the target audience age.

They REALLY aren't aiming for that age range. They would want to use rangers from the last 5 years for social media presence, to reach the current generation of fans. For the older fans, they'd aim for probably the last 10-12 years, not the last 26.

I know people like to think that people who grew up on MMPR are a big part of the fans, but we really aren't. And truth be told, the ones that are aren't only here for the cast we grew up with. We'll get just as excited over someone from Time Force, Mystic Force, or hell, Operation Overdrive as we will over someone from Zeo.

So yes, it's nice when they throw us a bone from time to time and bring back someone like Adam, but it probably also just confuses the kids because they don't air MMPR anymore. Sure, it's on Netflix, but most parents just put on the more recent seasons because let's face it, MMPR had terrible special effects.

Saban only pandered a little TOO hard to the older generations of fans when it came to the reunion episodes because they refused to acknowledge the Disney seasons even existed. We won't have that problem with Hasbro.

And @Zeo Cereal - You mention Price - JDF thinks he's worth a lot. Whereas I guarantee you that Hasbro can hire someone like Brennan (Tyler from Dino Charge) for a fraction of what they can hire JDF for, yet they'd get a much better response from the kids and teens, the targets they actually want to reach.
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:35 AM #33
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

He advertises the show better than Nick (when it behooves him), and they don't pay him six figures.
Well, the brand. The individual series he generally doesn't acknowledge unless he makes an appearance. But the overall brand especially any kind of Green Ranger stand out thing he can talk up, yeah, he'll advertise it.

The marketing by Nick is a whole different animal than social media posts, particularly because Nick doesn't need to market social media for it's shows. Kids in their target age range aren't concerned with social media. In that way JDF isn't really helpful either, because, again, he doesn't talk about the current series that needs to be advertised.

I still don't understand why you would say any of that is input or influence on the brand though.
Old March 9th, 2019, 12:46 AM #34
> MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

He advertises the show better than Nick (when it behooves him), and they don't pay him six figures
Adversting the show when it only involves him isn't a good way of advertising. It displays that he cares about it when it involves him. If really wanted to advertise it, he'd post more frequently about the new shows, not just stuff involving the original.

Even if he did post more about the new show though, the majority of his page followers are in it for the nostalgia and don't even brother with the new series, so either way it doesn't do much.
MMPR-TheGreenRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 01:00 AM #35
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

Whether its the current new series or not shouldn't matter, it playes a part in keeping the brand alive, and new MMPR stuff is still being pushed.
Kyle16 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 01:02 AM #36
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

The Unworthy fanfilm already did a female MMPR Green Ranger so this is more following than leading
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 01:16 AM #37
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Kyle16 wrote: View Post

Whether its the current new series or not shouldn't matter, it playes a part in keeping the brand alive, and new MMPR stuff is still being pushed.
If you're referring to my post, JDF is also not involved in it. The character of Tommy is, but not JDF. He voiced one of the audio books, but his face is not recognizable in the comics.
Old March 9th, 2019, 02:11 AM #38
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Didn't Hasbro make a sizzle reel to promote Power Rangers at licensing show, where they listed all the selling points of the franchise? I' pretty sure they listed Tommy as a selling point. It seems so bizarre that I feel like I'm misremembering, but I think that did happen. Anyone remember it?
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 05:32 AM #39
> Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

Mr.Karate
Power Ranger

JDF only promotes Power Rangers when he's involved. Notice the last 2 times he promoted PR was Dimensions in Danger [which was nothing more than Tommy fanwank material] and Legendary war [which he was part of and got his ass kissed a bit]

The only time Frank promotes PR is when he's involved and he's getting his ego stroked. He'd be useless as a promoter.

As for the situation with Skye. Do we really need more proof at this stage that he's a scumbag?
Mr.Karate is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 9th, 2019, 05:48 AM #40
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

Everytime I think I'm maybe too hard on JDF I hear shit like this.

Anyway can't wait for Power Rangers Nepotism for the daughter JDF actually loves.
SonicBlueRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote