Home Menu

Menu

Old March 2nd, 2019, 09:02 AM #61
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Ataruman wrote: View Post

About the endgame stuff: it's decent enough. I do actually miss the "madonna" character from the 2nd years of the graduates (Fuji-P...meh, he can fall off a cliff for all I care) but the stuff with the Dark Seeds and Evil King...I don't miss them. The only cool thing was what happened with Kiriya but it sort of feels unfair that he was just reborn as if nothing happened...yet Poisony dies like all the other pieces of the Evil King and yet they were brother and sister. (personally if I were to write one fan-fic of Futari, I probably would have a situation where Poisony was reborn as well and just couldn't recognize her former brother if to add a bit of tragedy that they both live but can never be together again) Oh and the chorus episode prior to the end-game was fun: another future Cure gets her first appearance (though she gets another side character in Splash Star) and I find it amusing they basically sing the ending theme for their song and we never find out who won.

Oh and Pollun...meh, I'd say forget the brat but...yeah, Max Heart's next. Just bare with it as I've said and you'll get to the good stuff eventually.
The Madonna character was just sort of there. I never understood why she hated Nagisa so much. I guess because Nagisa was allowed to have fun? With you on the Fuji and Dark Seeds/King stuff. The chorus was fun though. We'll see how Max Heart goes lol.

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

I prefer the originally planned finale in Episode 26 but this is still decent (and the second half of Futari does have some genuinely good episodes like the Romeo and Juliet one and Episode 42). Like I said in the main Precure thread, Max Heart never really becomes unwatchable and there are some interesting concepts sprinkled throughout. But it also has some of the worst villains in the franchise and while our first "sixth" has an interesting backstory her actual character barely has a personality at all.

Also a reminder that from Max Heart onward you're going to have movies to deal with as well (Max Heart has two, every other season has one and starting from Fresh you've also got the All Stars movies, which are essentially the Precure equivalent of Sentai Vs. films only a lot more cluttered). With the exception of one other series everything from Splash Star onwards follows the Sentai route where every season features a different cast and story with little to no connection to its predecessors (and also much like Sentai there's too much internal contradiction between shows to place every season into a cohesive timeline).

And get used to Pollun, he becomes a lot more prominent next season (though also slightly more tolerable as well).
I agree with what you said in preferring the first ending, but I do like some of the episodes in the second half. I'll probably watch the movies of each season at the end when I finish them. Aside from the HeartCatch movie you mentioned.

Pollun...ugh.

=

Futari Wa Precure Max Heart Episode 1

I honestly thought the teacher was going to announce that she was pregnant, based on my own experiences with teachers whoíve said similar things.

And so weíre on Season Two of the Precure franchise and the series as a whole, of course things have to go back to business as usual. I love the new opening for the season. I like that Honoka is running with Nagisa through the mess at the beginning. Also the action once they transform, itís good stuff. The song itself is a nice update to mesh with the update the season had. I still think that the somber tone of the opening was odd and didnít quite fit with the happy tone that the series had going for it. Once we get back to school, the episode works better because of the comedy in the Sakura class. I like that Honoka and Nagisa are in charge of their respective clubs. It should make things interesting when we get to later episodes.

Now for the plot stuff, so when the Dark King died he injured the Queen forcing her to revert back to her original form of Life, heart, and twelve Heartiels. Now obviously the Heartiels are going to be the Prism Stones for the season. Now this makes absolutely no sense and kind of ruins the already flawed ending to the last season as the Dark King is being reborn again for the THIRD time. I get why they have to keep bringing him back but it just feels repetitive. Now when the Zakenna strikes, love the design of it by the way, Mepple and Mipple awaken. I do wish we had gotten a more touching reunion scene instead of going straight to business, but oh well. I like the new design for the transformation devices. Theyíre cute. I love the new transformation sequence. Itís faster than the last one. The outfits are fine, Nagisaís looks awkward now without the midriff. I couldnít tell much of a difference with Honokaís though. I liked the Marble Screwís redesign as itís a classic attack. And with that the episode ends with the reveal that Wisdom and Elder are staying in the Garden of Rainbows to help find the Queen.

Thereís also this blonde girl with a braid and a big forehead who brings out a mysterious feeling in the Cures. Sheís the Queenís life or something or the Queen reincarnated. I donít even need to look up spoilers to know that. Anyways she hasnít done anything yet so weíll see what happens. Though Iíve also got to say that I wish Pollun had justÖnot been here. This is the season of Pollunís development (apparently) so I hope it gets better pronto.
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 11:02 AM #62
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Here's the thing about "blonde girl": if they went one way with it, I wouldn't have mind. On the other hand it just becomes a mess from the beginning as you will soon see. (also surprised you didn't mention anything about the boy entering the mansion...he's sort of important)

And the Heartiels...hoo boy, the Heartiels. Won't get into what they are yet but...the only thing I can say even from episode 1 is "wasted potential".
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 11:29 AM #63
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

The Heartiels are also the first instance of another long running trope in Precure (Collect X number of magical mcguffins to unlock something that'll be important in the final arc), unless there was something like that in the first season as well that I'm forgetting. As for the blonde girl, yeah I agree that if they'd gone in another direction with her she could have been much more interesting.

Last edited by Akiba Black; March 3rd, 2019 at 11:37 AM.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 12:06 PM #64
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

The Heartiels are also the first instance of another long running trope in Precure (Collect X number of magical mcguffins to unlock something that'll be important in the final arc), unless there was something like that in the first season as well that I'm forgetting.
The Rainbow Stones were basically that.
Old March 3rd, 2019, 12:08 PM #65
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

The Rainbow Stones were basically that.
Ah, that's right
Old March 28th, 2019, 02:03 PM #66
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Futari Wa Precure Max Heart Episode 2

Nagisaís mom is way too polite. If there were as much noise going on in my room as there is in Nagisaís, she would have barged in there already.

After a hiatus because of school and some health scares, I am back at it with the Precure episode reviewsÖI hope. The I guess overall plot of the episode is that Seekun, a Heartiel and one of the Queenís twelve wills or personality traits as I interpreted it, has disappeared and it is up to the Cures to find her. Given that her name is Seekun, sheís obviously the curious one. On top of having to feed Wisdom and the Elder and Pollun, Nagisa has to worry about the fact that without the Queen being present the Garden of Rainbows is more at risk to be taken over by the forces of darkness and like sucked into an abyss or something. Maybe itís just because Iíve been away from the franchise for a bit, but I found the info dumping of the beginning to be quite a lot at once. I thought it could have been summed up better as opposed to how direct and rambley it was. Though one has to wonder why Nagisa is always the one having to house the interdimensional beings. I get that sheís the lead character and it makes sense and it is good for comedy, but Honokaís house would be far less suspicious.

Something that I neglected to mention in the last episode was the arrival of an ugly child at the Zakenna mansion. Not sure where this plot is going as most of the C plot was just the butler Zakenna babysitting the kid because he wanted to play. Personally this reignites my PTSD from season 1 with pollen and all of his stupid antics. Iím just not a fan of child villains and I want him to grow up. The new general number one arrived in this episode. Iím going to call him Fabio because thatís what his hair reminds me of. The design isÖeh? Iím not a fan of all the layers of clothes heís wearing. It seems a lot more busy compared to the simplicity of the previous antagonists. Fabio didnít do much to impress me this episode. He just did the usual villain schtick of summon a Zakenna and fight the Cures while spouting off the goals of the season which is to find the Queen. So things arenít too interesting on the villain front right now.

Finally letís get to that mysterious blonde girl from last time. Sheís still bringing out a mysterious feeling in the Cures and their companions. However itís the Queenís voice that tells us and the girl her name: Hikari. Thereís really not much to say about her. The story keeps trying to have her be all mysterious and stuff, but when you bring that up every time the girl is on screen itís obvious that the girl is The Special this season. She doesnít remember her past, only what the Queenís voice told her. She seems to have the same powers as the Dark Seeds in that she can manipulate human minds into believing her stories, having done just that to Akane. It makes sense if she does have this power given sheís connected to the Queen in some way and the Queen is the Dark Kingís counterpart. Itís probably me reading into it but the character hasnít given us much to go on. All we know is her name, she ignites a mysterious nostalgic feeling in literally EVERYONE she meets, and that sheís a new girl at Verone Academy. Can we just get to the part where she becomes Shiny Luminous already?

Last edited by GrumpyBookworm; March 30th, 2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old March 28th, 2019, 03:09 PM #67
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ugly? I actually like the boy, he's cute and one of the best things about this season.

I get you don't like the build-up, but I guess it's to try and give you mystery...even if said mystery is wrecked almost immediately whenever we see Hikari. Just think of this as more practice for other Cure build-up scenarios later on.
Old March 28th, 2019, 03:15 PM #68
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Ugly? I actually like the boy, he's cute and one of the best things about this season.

I get you don't like the build-up, but I guess it's to try and give you mystery...even if said mystery is wrecked almost immediately whenever we see Hikari. Just think of this as more practice for other Cure build-up scenarios later on.
I don't know something about the way he's animated just doesn't sit right with me. From what little there was of him in this episode, I thought he was fine. I guess I'll need to see more from him. Right now all I have to go off of is the kid's appearance and the comedy with the butler Zakenna.

I'm not mad about the idea behind the 'mystery' of Hikari. I just wish it had been done differently. They hit you over the head with it every time she's on screen and it just kills any good setup. As long as other future Cure introductions don't pound you over the head with how 'mysterious' this is, I'll be ok.
Old March 28th, 2019, 03:29 PM #69
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

No, (most) future mid-season Cure introductions are handled much better than this. Hikariís story is somewhat interesting but the character herself leaves a lot to be desired as youíll see (for one thing they seem to have forgotten to give her much of a personality).

The little boy will be important but not until much later on. Donít expect much out of the villains either as in my opinion theyíre some of the worst the franchise has to offer.
Old March 30th, 2019, 03:13 PM #70
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

No, (most) future mid-season Cure introductions are handled much better than this. Hikariís story is somewhat interesting but the character herself leaves a lot to be desired as youíll see (for one thing they seem to have forgotten to give her much of a personality).

The little boy will be important but not until much later on. Donít expect much out of the villains either as in my opinion theyíre some of the worst the franchise has to offer.
Good to know. I'm already seeing the no personality thing with Hikari. Ever since the Dark Five left, I haven't been interested in Futari's villains. They've all been weak since then imo.

=

Futari Wa Precure Max Heart Episode 3

Nice to see that the Postal Service delivers to scary magical mansions! Really expanding their delivery routes.

Episode three is more of the same from Futari Wa Precure in terms of plot. The girls go to school and Pollun stows away because heís brat who doesnít listen. Pollun, with the addition of the irritating Seekun, run off to find whatever the plot of the season is and so the girls have to look for him. They fight a monster and go home. It wasnít an engaging episode whatsoever in terms of the events. Everything just felt like filler as we limp towards Shiny Luminous. Going forward, I actually think itíd be better to structure these reviews in terms of the major plots of the episode in terms of my favorites.

The Cures = Nagisa and Honoka didnít have much to do this episode aside from spout the usual lines theyíre given when they have to search for Pollun. I found it interesting that the girls are sort of celebrities to the underclassmen at Verone Academy. This actually makes sense given that they run the science and lacrosse clubs respectively. The show hasnít capitalized on the fact that the girls are running the clubs but Iím hoping they do. It has the potential for some good lessons. I also felt bad that Nagisa is stuck babysitting everyone. It sort of feels like sheís getting the short end of the stick while Honoka only has Mipple to care for. Overall not much to comment on with them. They fit their roles nicely and I always enjoy just how badass theyíve become in terms of fighting capabilities. Thatís one aspect that the show has perfected.

Hikari = What a block of wood! As frustrating as I find the foreshadowing behind Hikari to be, Iím actually coming around to her as a character. I liked her scene where she doesnít understand or remember the things that her teacher was saying about the planets. It showed that thereís real potential for her with the amnesiac thing theyíve got going here. Combined with the fact that she observed the battle of the day, it almost makes me wish that she were more of an upfront/investigative character. The blank slate thing works for now because weíre still getting to know her and sheís still mysteriously part of the plot, but I hope this isnít something they keep up long term.

The Villains = The villains once more were just sort of there. I found the kid more tolerable this time around given that he wasnít pulling Pollunís play with me schtick. Fabio shows that he cares about the child, who was pretty adorable on his tricycle, and mentions how heís going to rule the darkness. So just guessing and feel free to let me know if Iím on the money, the kidís going to grow up as the embodiment of the Dark King to counteract Hikariís embodiment of the Queen and theyíre going to like battle it out. I donít know the Butler Zakenna were fun as always. Not much to say.

Garden of Light Characters = You know what this show needed? More useless comedic relief. I recently watched a review of the first Futari season and the guy mentioned how none of the Garden of Light characters really contribute nothing to the story aside from being annoying brats. Iíd argue that when it was just Mepple and Mipple, they did contribute and had good relationships with their hosts. Mepple was a selfish dick but he does have a charm to him and does care about the girls in his life. You could tell there was more. Sure the show could have worked harder to really work on the companion dynamic between Nagisa and Mepple, Mipple and Honokaís relationship has never really been delved into but it seems to be fine, but with the way the two characters are it makes sense that theyíre mean to each other. Anyways this is all to say, The Elder and Wisdom and Pollun and Seekun really arenít needed.

Pollun was barely tolerable as it is, but when we have Seekun doing his same schtick but in a less annoying way it only points out the flaws in the show. I wish the Heartiels had been another set of stones or something, because we really didnít need more sentient fairies. I donít know about the Japanese audience, but I donít think anyone was crying out for more time with the Elder or Wisdom. Wisdom was a plot device in the showís back half last time, and now heís just comedic relief. I wish that those two had stayed behind in the Garden of Light. Besides itís weird that Nagisa has an old fairy man living in her room.

So in short, the showís stuck in a slump slowly inching towards the first big plot point. I stand by what I said that Futari is at itís best when itís not focusing on the plot but on the characterís school lives. I need some filler STAT!
Old March 30th, 2019, 03:43 PM #71
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

We all need more Shiho/Rina/Natsuko & Kyoko in our lives. (and you haven't gotten to the "pointless half episode" yet!)

I sort of forgot it took forever for anyone else to show up even this early on; considering how it drags, I sort of just want to get to at least someone who...well, he'll become someone way more memorable in a later Cure series but this is his first role. (and they're both villains surprisingly)
Old March 31st, 2019, 10:02 AM #72
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

We all need more Shiho/Rina/Natsuko & Kyoko in our lives. (and you haven't gotten to the "pointless half episode" yet!)

I sort of forgot it took forever for anyone else to show up even this early on; considering how it drags, I sort of just want to get to at least someone who...well, he'll become someone way more memorable in a later Cure series but this is his first role. (and they're both villains surprisingly)
Man you are right about this season dragging.

=

Futari Wa Precure Episode 4

I donít know what everyoneís been talking about, I think Nagisaís drawing is pretty good.

This episode was a major improvement upon the last two, probably due to the fact that weíre finally at the point that the show has been building towards over the past few episodes. I thought the pacing was better given that we werenít split between four plots like last episode. Given that Hikari hasnít quite joined the team yet, it makes sense why sheís so isolated in the narrative. It helps that those stories are FINALLY merging. So as I said before, the show is so character-driven I think itís best, and it gives my reviews a distinct flavor, if we tackle each sort of characterís role in the story.

The Cures = Compared to last season, it really feels like the story is just trying to have Nagisa as stressed as possible. I canít remember a time in the last four episodes when she just relaxed. It helps that she finally asked Honoka if Elder, Wisdom, and Seekun would live with her. Iím glad it finally happened as I feel Nagisa would have snapped if she kept going the way she was. Something I noticed is that the girls donít really feel like themselves when the plot happens. Itís in the filler where I feel their personalities come out. I understand why they were so freaked out about Hikari finding out they were Precure, but given how little the town seems to acknowledge that the Cures are even a thing I donít think it would have been a big deal if anyone found out. I did like Honokaís fears about transforming in front of Hikari as that felt like a relatable quirk. Since this isnít a filler I might as well address it here, I felt that the supporting cast were a bit too harsh on poor Nagisaís drawing. I actually thought it wasnít that bad. But this is Nagisa, so nothing can go right for her. I wish I had more to talk about character-wise, but Nagisa and Honoka arenít really the focus right now.

Hikari = Sheís still a block of wood, but sheís starting to be a more active character this episode. I liked that she took a more active role in figuring out her connection to Nagisa and Honoka. What baffles me is why she ran away. If she was so curious about what was going on, why did she leave? This is why I think they should have gone with a more aggressive, straight-laced kind of character. It felt odd that she confronted them, but then backed off from it. Of course the big thing to mention with her character is that something is finally coming to fruition with the Queen commenting every once in a while. Basically she was there to remind Pollun and Hikari about the power within and all that. The two go towards each other and they combine into a big burst of light. Iím excited to see the next episode because I canít wait to do one of my favorite activities: judging outfits!

The Villains = While Iím still not quite sure what the villain organization is exactly, I will say that Fabio had a better outing this time around. He finally got into the action and fought the Cures. He had the typical display of power that wiped the floor with the Cures, but it also showed the determination for the Cures in that they wouldnít just give up. What he had to say wasnít that impressive. It was the usual Ďdarkness will ruleí crap that the show has been spouting since the beginning. At least with the Dark Five their plans all had some indication of what their personality was. The Dark Seeds and these guys just feel interchangeable. I find the blonde child intriguing. Heís obviously connected to Hikari in some way since theyíre both blonde blocks of wood. Though the literal child has more personality than the tween girl. Also does anyone know what happened to the Chicken Zakenna? Did they defeat it or did it just go on to wreck havoc?

Garden of Light Characters = The best thing to happen in these first four episodes is the fact that Elder, Wisdom, and Seekun have finally moved in with Honoka! Other than that thereís not much to say about them. I debated on whether I would even mention them but since thereís some stuff with Pollun I might as well. So heís all depressed about the fact that he didnít get a new form like Mepple and Mipple. Iím waiting for his character development to kick in because I still want to punch the little brat. Something I wish was done better is this supposed connection that Hikari and Pollun have. Iíve yet to feel like theyíve connected. The same could be said for when Nagisa and Honoka met Mepple and Mipple but their dynamics were established right off the bat. Pollun and Hikari have had one conversation where Pollun introduced himself and how theyíre bonded because the Queen said soÖ.? Also I really think we should keep Seekun in a jar. Sheís less hazardous to everyone that way.

-

Futari Wa Precure Max Heart Episode 5

Ok but where was the giant chicken monster hiding?

This episode was structured weird. It felt like two episodes that were smashed together. On one hand we have the wrap up the previous episode and seemingly the start of a new one at the end. I just couldnít get a vibe for the pacing. In terms of plot, all I can say is that it revolves around Shiny Luminous and her hesitation. But even saying that, it feels like Iím making the plot sound bigger than it was. This season seems to be crawling at a literal snailís pace. Itís painful to watch because it still feels like the story is getting going. Now onto the character groups in order of my favorites.

Hikari = Since the entire point of this episode is that we have the first Extra Cure in the franchise, it makes sense that sheíd be my favorite thing of the episode. Iím just going to have to accept that Hikariís going to be a blank slate for the show, because sheís so boring. To quote Lindsay Ellis, you could replace her with a lamp and things donít change. I liked her hesitation at not quite ready to go rushing into the fight. Nagisa and Honoka have been at it for over a year and are doing it later than Hikari is doing it. Of course I wish we got more of a sense of how she was feeling besides Ďoh who am I? What is that?í, which is literally all she says when we focus on just her. We found out that she is the Queenís Life, step one in order to bring Queen back. I still feel like her relationship with Pollun is non-existent but maybe itíll grow from here. I want to like the character, but sheís so passive that itís hard for me to feel anything from her. Now since this is the first instance where we have a new transformation, I just want to go over my thoughts on her costume and heroine form as a whole. I like her color palette and the idea behind her costume. I love pink frills so I was always going to like it. Her hair transformation astounds me and always has since Iíve seen clips of her transformation before I watched it with context. Given how little hair she has in her civilian form, it just baffles me how luxurious those pigtails are. I know other Cure series have similar hair transformations but those are more believable because the entire team gets those. Nagisa and Honokaís hair stays relatively the same but it gets more volume. As for the dress itself, Iím not a fan of the skirt. Itís too loose and reminds me of a nightgown. I wish it had more structure like Honokaís skirt. I love her shoes though, even if Iím not really a fan of the chunky boot design of the Futari team.

The Cures = This must have been the easiest season to write because Honoka and Nagisaís entire dialogue this whole season has been just copied from episode to episode. All the girls talk about is the fact that we need to find the shit for the Queenís resurrection. It gets to a point where it feels like the Cures arenít even a part of their own show until itís time to fight the Zakenna. I want them to be more active. Something I did like was the subtle nod to how far theyíve come which I did like. I remember complaining that all Nagisa and Honoka did in the beginning was run until it was time for the Marble Screw, but now theyíre kicking and punching like total badasses. But yeah they just sort of have the same schtick as the episode before this and what Iím assuming will be the rest of the season.

The Garden of Light Characters = Soooo did Wisdom and Elder not tell the Cures that Hikari is the Life of the Queen? Iím confused about that. The only one to really talk about here is Pollun. Mepple and Mipple are just sort of alarm systems now which is sad considering how much they had to do in those first 26 episodes. Pollun gets his wish and he upgrades to a new smaller form. I get why it had to happen, but I didnít like it. This is coming from me wishing that brat immense pain over the last like thirty-something episodes, but I wish that the narrative didnít continue to treat Pollun like this super special thing that gets whatever it wants despite itís flaws. Pollun has major flaws that need to be corrected. Heís a spoiled fucking brat that needs to be told no. I didnít feel like he earned the upgrade. His relationship with all of the Cures and Hikari is weak at best as they all just babysit him. I just really hate this character and he continues to be the worst aspect of the show. The best thing that could possibly happen is when he was sleeping and didnít speak.

The Villains = Iím sorry but the villains are so boring right now. Just like I said that the Cures stuff feels copied and pasted, so does anything with the villains. These guys are at such a slow place that we donít even know the kidís name. I donít think that Fabioís real name has been said yet or I didnít catch it, but it doesnít matter. Iím bored with them. Itís the same thing. The blonde kid is playing and irritating the Butler Zakenna, which is always fun, and Fabio says how the kid will rule the realms of darkness or whatever. He fights the Cures and spouts the evil will rule dialogue, rinse and repeat.

This season is such a slog to get through already. I have fun watching it but when I think deeper about it, it makes me realize just how slow a pace itís going at and it annoys me. I love Nagisa and Honoka as characters, but Iím ready for when the show starts rotating the cast. This just feels like weíre dragging the dead horse along.
Old March 31st, 2019, 11:21 AM #73
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Yeesh is Episode 5 terrible. I get revealing the Shiny Luminous transformation at the start due to the cliffhanger but to do that and defeat Circulas, then have that whole half-episode where everyone transforms AGAIN and then go to a fight we never seen was just...really, it's just one of the most pointless half-episodes ever in Pretty Cure, pure and simple.
Old April 12th, 2019, 10:21 AM #74
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Yeesh is Episode 5 terrible. I get revealing the Shiny Luminous transformation at the start due to the cliffhanger but to do that and defeat Circulas, then have that whole half-episode where everyone transforms AGAIN and then go to a fight we never seen was just...really, it's just one of the most pointless half-episodes ever in Pretty Cure, pure and simple.
It's weird and indicative of this season's biggest issue to me at the moment: SO. FREAKING. SLOW.

-

Futari Wa Precure Max Heart Episode 6

Something tells me that the balloon panda leaving was a good thingÖ

The whole setup for this episode was very awkward in my opinion. Most of the episode is Hikari being lost in a mall with Nagisa and Honoka looking for her. If that doesnít sound like the absolute most boring idea for an episode, then I would love to know that personís taste. The pacing was much better, back to Futariís standard episode pace at this point, and I did like certain aspects of the episode. Overall this sort of was ok? I donít know. It felt like nothing happened. I know thatís the basic idea behind filler, but this felt so innocuous that it felt like it took me more effort to watch it than the episode was delivering. This whole thing was just weird.

The Cures-Ah itís nice to see Nagisa and Honoka back to their old selves. Iíve mentioned that over the last few episodes, it felt like the Cures were just saying the same thing over and over. I liked the scene of the girls making rice with Honokaís grandmother because it gave us a chance to just let the characters breathe. We havenít gotten that a lot this season because of the Hikari mess, but Iíve got to say that I appreciate it when it does appear. Iíll get into this with Hikari, but I have respect for the initiative that these two take. They actively make an effort to look for Hikari when sheís lost in a shopping mall. Though this brings up a point, since Mepple and Mipple are shaped like phonesÖ.couldnít they have tired to sense Pollun or even simply just like tried to contact him? The fact that this whole scenario could have been solved if they had just used cell phones or common sense annoys me. This wasnít too in depth into their characters, but I liked what was there.

Akane-Akaneís interesting to me because despite being a mainstay of the show since very early on in the first season, we barely know anything about her. That seems to be changing this episode as a mysterious man who Akane knows as Nakao shows up to her van and asks her to talk about an offer. We donít know much else given that this is why she sends the girls on their shopping trip. Given how similar he looks to Akane, Iím inclined to say that this is her brother and not her boyfriend like Nagisa and Honoka suspected. Iím interested to see where this goes as Akane is long overdue for some focus.

The Fairies-This really only is just to talk about Pollun because Mepple and Mipple are basically just alarm systems at this point. This might be weird to complain about but I found it odd how Pollun was totally not a brat? I know that the kidís happy that he has a partner and that he leveled up, but it just felt like tonal whiplash. Yeah Pollun can be supportive but like..heís REALLLY overdoing it. It also feels off because we have yet to see a dynamic develop between the two. From the first moment that Mepple and Mipple came into their lives, Nagisa and Honoka have a dynamic with their fairy partners. Nagisa and Mepple argue like brother and sister to hide that they love each other, Mipple and Honoka are compassionate and care about each other deeply. Pollun and HikariÖummÖuhÖthey sing? It just feels so unnatural that heís supportive this quickly. Oh and another Heartiel showed up. Passion. I've been ignoring them because they're superfluous and forced in. They should have been rocks.

Hikari-Oh where to begin. First of all, the fact that she gets so down on herself because she canít find Nagisa and Honoka in a shopping mall is kind of pathetic. I know weíre supposed to feel sad for her in this moment, but I donít because sheís so freaking neutral and dull in ever frame of animation. Also itís freaking common sense to just keep looking and not give up. From the moment I saw the preview of this episode, I knew this would do no favors to Hikariís character. I get that sheís a block of wood with no memory or just knowledge in general, but the writers didnít have to make her this passive. I donít have an issue with the timidity in her fighting the monsters, because thatís just natural for anyone in that situation. I just wish that they would make an effort to make the girl more of an active character in her own story. Iíve said since day one that she should be an assertive nosy character. It works with the no memory thing and it gives her a reason to wander off in this episode. Sheís curious. If this is what Iím in store for with Hikari, ooh no.

The Villains-We got a new general who didnít announce his name. Thatís it. Iím calling him Red Hulk. Legit these guys are so dull. Iím waiting for something, anything to happen.
Old April 12th, 2019, 11:01 AM #75
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Hikari has an interesting story but never really develops into that interesting of a character (she might be a little more outspoken by the end of the series but that's about it). In fact, aside from her nobody really has that much of a character arc this season except for Honoka (though it's done in a somewhat subtle way).

Don't expect much out of the villains either (though admittedly the red one can be entertaining at times), they're some of the worst in the entire franchise.

Fortunately after this season you're more or less through with the worst of it. I have some issues with Happiness Charge, Maho Girls, and KiraKira but at least those shows have some decent aspects about them, almost everything good about Max Heart was mostly stuff that got carried over from the previous season.
Old April 12th, 2019, 11:38 AM #76
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

The new guy is named Uragaros. For the most part he's the "dumb muscle" for the season...and sucks at it. (even compared to Gekidrago last season!) The only good about him is his VA becomes a way, WAAAAY better villain...in two more seasons.
Old April 12th, 2019, 11:51 AM #77
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

The problem with the bad guys this season is that, well, theyíre all idiots (with one exception) that very rarely are ever a real problem for the team.

As such, itís really hard to be able to take them seriously most of the time. Even the Three Seeds from the back half of the previous season were more effective than this.
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:55 AM #78
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Futari Wa Precure Max Heart Episode 7

Guess who's done with semester and back to reviewing Precure!

I would like to know how Passion was able to communicate with that dove, justÖwhat was that conversation like?

This episode started off amazing for me. I loved that we were tackling Nagisaís laziness and inability to tackle things that she may find challenging. This comes about because Nagisaís parents will be out of the house for the day and it is up to her to handle chores with Ryuota. I liked the episode up until the Zakenna showed up. It then becomes a Hikari episode for some reason?? Iíll get into it later, but I was baffled by the choices made in the second half. It made zero sense to me. Overall, I would say this episode is probably one of the better middle tier episodes Iíve seen this season. I donít love how mediocre this season is turning out so far though.

The Cures- Like I said in the intro, this truly had the potential to be up there with some of the best episodes in the first season of Futari. An episode that tackles a major character flaw in Nagisa? Iím here for it. For being the lead character of the whole show, Nagisaís a very one-note kind of girl. Sheís changed minutely. Iím not saying that she needed to have come out of this show as a changed woman, but a bit more change would have been appreciated. I think that the showís explanation that Nagisaís desire to have someone enjoy what she makes and like cooking and cleaning be because she just doesnít enjoy it seems a bit lazy. Just like the stinger at the end didnít impress me with Nagisa being a bad chef. It honestly left a bad taste in my mouth because it negated the work that she had put herself through in the beginning of the episode. What did work for this episode is Honoka. I loved her assertive nature in wanting Nagisa to actually challenge herself. The Honoka at the beginning of the show would not have done that. Again their dynamic is just so effortless that I could watch them interact for hours on end.

Supporting Characters- This should be called Akane but I thought I would mention that Ryuota gets to do a bit of being even more inept at cleaning than Nagisa which I find shocking. He means well, but the characterís just there to grumble at Nagisa and praise Honoka. Akaneís storyline got interesting this episode. So it turns out that Nakao, the guy from last episode, is in fact a former companion of Akaneís from her former life. She used to work with a firm and did things with computers, but she wanted to do more with her life so she opened the Takoyaki cafe. Heís given her a mysterious proposition that has been in the works for a while, and at the end we learn that it might mean closing the cafe! This subplot is really interesting and should make for an amazing episode next time. Iím excited to see where this goes as Akaneís always been a solid character but now we get to find more information about her.

Fairies- We get introduced to a new Heartiel this episode, and I actually like him! Whereís Seekunís curious personality trait annoys the living hell out of me, Passion really got a good outing. I liked his message about how youíre never too small to fight back against something bigger than you. Even if there is a really huge size difference. I donít have much to say about Pollun either. Iím in a weird place where Iím glad heís not being an annoying twat, but at the same time I wish he hadnít immediately gone to being super nice to Hikari. It doesnít really make sense to me. No one can flip a switch this quickly. On another note, Iím sad at how little Mepple and Mipple get to do. I want more for them.

Hikari- Oh HikariÖyou baffle me. I really find it odd that a Nagisa episode turned into a freaking Hikari episode in the second half when the Cure nation starts up. It just felt awkward when we have to watch her psych herself up to fight. Sheís so freaking passive that when Nagisa and Honoka are in trouble, Pollun has to freaking yell at her to transform. I donít have much more to say about Hikari after this as she didnít have much to do this episode. That crepe stuff was just awkward.

Villains- I thought Red Hulkís baseball gag was funny, and the butler Zakenna are funny as always. Oh and the Cures and Luminous are getting on their nerves. Thatís it. This plot is so boring.
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:19 AM #79
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Iíve noticed that for some reason Hikari seems to forget sheís a Precure more often than not in this series (typically she just hangs back and lets the others work until Pollun yells at her to transform).
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:29 AM #80
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

GrumpyBookworm wrote: View Post

I would like to know how Passion was able to communicate with that dove, justÖwhat was that conversation like?
Wait isn't Pine the one who talks to animals and Passion's power teleporting...too early?

There is one episode that actually tries (the key word, tries) to have Hikari fight on her own coming up and that...basically explains everything you need to know.