Home Menu

Menu

Old February 7th, 2019, 02:03 PM #41
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Eh, the only good thing about that episode: the Butler Zakenna are introduced. (trust me, these two are consistent members of the cast for the remaining season+ left and are probably one of the only entertaining things on the villains side once we get to Max Heart)

At least the Romeo & Juliet episode is next...
Those two were great. Nice to know that they stick around. Like I said in one of the running stream of consciousness reviews, I think the show is at it's best when it ignores the plot altogether and just focuses on the lives of the girls.

Though I like the approach of the Dark Seeds, as antagonists they're really freaking boring. At least the Dark Five had their interpersonal drama and liked to ham it up. These guys are just sort of...bland.
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 02:18 PM #42
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Next season's villians are arguably even worse (though they are slightly more entertaining than the Dark Seeds at least) but after that you've more or less got a constant streak of decent antagonists for the next few shows.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 02:21 PM #43
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Next season's villians are arguably even worse (though they are slightly more entertaining than the Dark Seeds at least) but after that you've more or less got a constant streak of decent antagonists for the next few shows.
Considering the Dark Seeds just mope around a mansion in mood lighting, I think the bar's been set pretty low in terms of entertainment value lol.
Old February 8th, 2019, 02:48 PM #44
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Futari Wa Precure Episode 37

Shiho is super excited about her friends' life threatening activities making her play better.

This episode was both great and insane at the same time and I loved it! If anything else, this proves that the villains for the show are utterly useless. Theyíre good at being intimidating when the narrative calls for it, but other then that theyíre not good for much else. We donít know much about them or how they were made except they need to find the Power of Creation. The whole gag with brushing teeth was just weird. It wasnít even funny. It was just awkward. I get the vibe that the villains were sort of an afterthought when putting the second half of the season together.

That being said, I freaking loved this episode. Shiho was in top comedic form as the director, once more showcasing this seasonís strengths at knowing how to use the Cureís classmates. Nagisaís discomfort with performing in front of crowds in a theatrical way makes sense. Some people just arenít actors. I still question why she would want Pollun to read her her lines instead of Mepple, but oh well? I expected the audience to buy the fact that the fight was part of a play, but at the same time part of me wonders if those Precure wannabes from earlier in the season put it together that Nagisa and Honoka were really the Precures. Something tells me thatís something thatíll never be talked about. Oh well. This episode was fun nonetheless and a definite breath of fresh air after the mess that was the last episode.
Old February 9th, 2019, 04:20 PM #45
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Futari wa Pretty Cure: Ep. 38: It Takes Guts! Ryota's Great Errand Strategy

I hear that the Rainbow Line is hiring announcers if youíre willing to do it Nagisa?

One of Nagisaís duties that doesnít get touched on in the show as much is the fact that sheís an older sister to Ryuota. The two are shown to care about each other, but Nagisa spends most of her time with him putting him in a chokehold. This episode showcase Nagisaís love for her brother as she and Honoka watch over him as he walks to his dadís office to deliver something. I question the premise being that Nagisa having to deliver whatever it is she has to deliver meaning that she canít go shopping with Honoka. It wouldnít take all day, the two could still go shopping. But anyway, Ryouta volunteers because he has a crush on Honoka. But being that heís a fifth grader, heís easily distracted from the mission at hand. Iíve gotta say I empathized with Nagisa in how frustrated she got when he wouldnít follow her orders. Itís a frustrating time. But the letter gets delivered and Nagisa and Ryouta grow closer. I found it interesting that Mepple and Mipple canít help but go mepo and mipo. Interesting because I thought it was more just something they said out of habit. I do like that we focused on a brother sister duo since most shows targeted at girls seem to focus on the relationship between sisters. Itís also nice to see an older sibling care for the younger sibling, warms my heart. Thereís also a subplot about Regine trying to understand why Pollun is The Special, but Iíve checked out of the plot at this point. I donít care at all about Pollun, the villains are boring, and the show has no desire to move the plot along. Iím fine with that because we get these episodes about the supporting cast, as these are when the show is at itís strongest. All in all, this was a nice episode that anyone who has a sibling can probably relate to at some point. Not one of my favorites, but I did enjoy it nonetheless.
Old February 9th, 2019, 05:57 PM #46
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I prefer the Dark Seeds over the Guardians I admit. The Dark Seeds can be fun, such as the tooth-brushing scene in 36; plus I love what sort of happens to them as the endgame approaches. The Guardians...meh, you'll see but they're just...bad.

Yeah, 36 is epic with the Romeo & Juliet episode (and even better: the return of Natsuko and Kyoko...aside from my bias due to Natsuko being Hibiki, I just love those two); plus 37 is just a great episode with Nagisa's brother trying to prove himself, sort of something that I'm happy the show did once since later seasons wouldn't have an episode like that.
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 06:03 PM #47
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

I prefer the Dark Seeds over the Guardians I admit. The Dark Seeds can be fun, such as the tooth-brushing scene in 36; plus I love what sort of happens to them as the endgame approaches. The Guardians...meh, you'll see but they're just...bad.

Yeah, 36 is epic with the Romeo & Juliet episode (and even better: the return of Natsuko and Kyoko...aside from my bias due to Natsuko being Hibiki, I just love those two); plus 37 is just a great episode with Nagisa's brother trying to prove himself, sort of something that I'm happy the show did once since later seasons wouldn't have an episode like that.
Like I've been saying, when the show ignores the plot and just does the fun character bits it's at it's best. 36 and 37 are great examples of that. Plot episodes mean Pollun at the center and that's a hell I don't want to wish on anyone. I'm having a fun time watching the show, but you're all making Max Heart seem like a slog lol.
Old February 9th, 2019, 06:17 PM #48
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

There are good things about Max Heart that will get you through it. There are some interesting things that do further along aspects that were more black-and-white in Futari, plus a couple characters do get a bit more focus than they do in the first series. (such as the restaurant owner Akane in a few early episodes)

Personally I wish I could just say "skip ahead to Splash Star", but there are worthwhile things in every season. Plus you sort of have to make your own decisions and not listen to us; we may give advice but you're the only one who can decide.
Old February 11th, 2019, 08:35 PM #49
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

There are good things about Max Heart that will get you through it. There are some interesting things that do further along aspects that were more black-and-white in Futari, plus a couple characters do get a bit more focus than they do in the first series. (such as the restaurant owner Akane in a few early episodes)

Personally I wish I could just say "skip ahead to Splash Star", but there are worthwhile things in every season. Plus you sort of have to make your own decisions and not listen to us; we may give advice but you're the only one who can decide.
I will say the thing that most intrigues me about Max Heart is Demon Ball's supposed development as a character. I like the idea of Pollun, but if he wasn't such a stagnant brat I'd care about him more. Nice to see Akane get some love. She's a nice comforting presence for the girls.

I've committed to going in order and that's precisely what I'll do lol.

Futari Wa Precure Episode 39

Me thinks that Nagisa would have a wedding just to be able to eat a wedding cake.

Ms. Yoshimi is getting married! This is the primary focus in what is a sweet and harmless episode. It showed the Nagisa and Honokaís classmates bonding over their shared love and appreciation for their teacher. They decide to out together a patchwork quilt for the teacher with fabric brought together by all the students. I actually like the smaller character bits we get throughout the episode, like Honoka acknowledging her parents and Nagisa actually getting along with her mother for once instead of her mom always being worried about her. These are the small moments that I like in shows like these. I wasnít a huge fan of the battle with MuscleBob this week. I donít know I just found the speech both sides were doing to be pretty standard stuff. I liked the use of the Marble Screw, as thatís still my favorite attack to date. I canít wait to get the part where we start killing off the Dark Seeds, because though they can be fun, theyíre still bland. I donít particularly care that MuscleBob doesnít want to be fighting the girls either. If he doesnít want to, then why is he there aside from the Dark King? I found it interesting that he commented that the only reason heís there is to take down Honoka and Nagisa. I feel like itís just because theyíre protecting the Demon Brat, but I wish it had something to do with their ĎLegendary Warriorsí thing that I feel hasnít been utilized. And also can we just drop Nagisa and Fuji P? This show doesnít need a romance.

Futari Wa Precure Episode 40

Never underestimate the importance of moral support! Nagisaís cheering will make your food better!

Yet another sweet episode! I feel like this is the calm before the storm when we get plot stuff that will start to annoy me. Anyways the gals have a sleepover and party with some of the galsí supporting casts. Itís cute watching them all hang out and just have fun. Pollun did dumb annoying shit as usual, Meppleís being the best by saying donít spoil the brat, etc. I donít really have much to say. The dream battle confused me because I just couldnít understand why they couldnít summon Mepple and Mipple in their dreams? I donít know itís just sort of odd to me. I did like the reflection period of the episode with us getting a bit of insight into Honokaís conflicting feels she still has over Kiriya. Obviously this means heís coming back in some way. I also like Nagisaís reassurance that sheíll always be there for Honoka. It really does make the two feel like real friends!

Last edited by GrumpyBookworm; February 11th, 2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old February 11th, 2019, 09:24 PM #50
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Just as a note, from Max Heart onwards there will also be movies to deal with as well (Max Heart has two, every other season has at least one and eventually you'll also get the All Stars films as well which are basically the Precure equivalent of Sentai Vs movies). I'm not sure where best to place the Max Heart films though.

Not sure if you plan to review the movies as well but at the very least you should watch the HeartCatch one as it's the only one that's kind of important in regards to understanding some later events in that series.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 11:21 PM #51
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Just as a note, from Max Heart onwards there will also be movies to deal with as well (Max Heart has two, every other season has at least one and eventually you'll also get the All Stars films as well which are basically the Precure equivalent of Sentai Vs movies). I'm not sure where best to place the Max Heart films though.

Not sure if you plan to review the movies as well but at the very least you should watch the HeartCatch one as it's the only one that's kind of important in regards to understanding some later events in that series.
I'll probably ask in the Precure thread about the movies when the time comes, bu thanks for the tip!

=

Futari Wa Precure Episode 41

Why is Nagisa still being surprised when Pollun shows up in her stuff? The bratís a fun addict.

Oh boy weíre back to the plotÖand I really donít care. Itís not that the episode wasnít boring, I enjoyed what was presented to me but I just donít find myself caring about it. Mainly because itís all around Pollun and like Iíve said many a time and Iíll repeat it once more, the narrative hasnít gotten me to care about Pollun in any way. Anyways so itís the big final tournament for the Lacrosse Club! And in order to keep with the seasonís tradition of the Lacrosse episodes, the game gets interrupted by the villains and Nagisa is forced to leave to fight the bad guy. She acts so surprised every time it happens, but youíd think sheíd be used to it by now. They literally attack every time she has a game. On the Cure side of things, not much happens. The girls have an impressive battle with MuscleBob that ends in a stalemate based on whatís going on with the villains. Basically the Dark Seeds are starting to realize that their own time is up. Spikey Hair knows something that the other two donítÖfor some reason, and thatís that their bodies are made up of the same destructive energy that the Dark King is made up of and it will continue to grow. This gives them a better reason to want the power of Creation. Though my question is, did they not think to realize that since they literally sprouted from the Dark King that this would affect them? Also Iím ready to cheer in excitement because the Power of Creation have left Pollun for goodÖ? Iím not going to celebrate just yet because it could change but thatís what it looked like happened. Iíll be ready to throw Pollunís going away party as we kick him back to the Garden of Light for good. Not a bad episode, but bogged down by the fact that I just donít care about Pollun or the plot. Iím here for the fun school-day filler. Anyways next episode finally tackles what I thought would have been a no-brainerÖkeeping the Cures apart.
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:52 AM #52
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

KiraKira's explicitly takes place after episode 37 and HeartCatch's can be watched about anytime after 38 (and is about the only one where the movie's plot actually matters in regards to the show itself so at least make sure to see it before you head into the final arc).

All the others can probably be safely watched once you reach the mid-30's or so while the All Stars films (which start being a thing from Fresh onwards) usually happen towards the beginning of a show.

Last edited by Akiba Black; February 24th, 2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old February 24th, 2019, 12:23 PM #53
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I'm not a fan of the lacrosse sub-plot in Futari. We get it, the Verone lacrosse team is unstoppable; why do we need this?

As for the movies...I still need to make a "when to watch" list but one more bit of advice: Suite's main movie occurs exactly between 36 and 37; I say its continuity but not sure about anyone else.
Old February 24th, 2019, 01:14 PM #54
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

I'm not a fan of the lacrosse sub-plot in Futari. We get it, the Verone lacrosse team is unstoppable; why do we need this?
I don't particularly care about the Lacrosse subplot, but I just find it funny that every game is attacked. The only Lacrosse episode that was genuinely interesting was the one with Shiho.
Old February 26th, 2019, 07:32 PM #55
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Futari Wa Precure Episode 42

Itís sad how used I am to Pollunís tantrums. Just once Iíd like an episode to surprise me by not having them.

One of the Curesí biggest weaknesses is that they are effectively powerless if they arenít together. Naturally I thought that this would have been an episode premise done already, but I guess I was wrong. We saw this done a bit with Poisony keeping the girls from holding hands to do the Marble Screw, but this is the first time that the show has really done this premise. That being said, I thought this was well done on both ends. The best thing that the season has done thus far is really make me feel like Nagisa and Honoka have grown to be best friends. This episode really proves that. You can see what both girls bring to each other. When the girls are at their lowest points, itís the thought of each other that brings them back from the pits of despair. By far the highlight of the episode is when the girls are reunited. I felt Nagisaís emotions as she both yelled at Honoka and cried in her lap. It then went on to have perhaps the best fight scene the girls have ever had? Itís an all out brawl with Regine and MuscleBob, and it is impressive.

Meanwhile, the Dark Seeds have decided to basically say screw you to the Dark King as theyíre in it for themselves now since they want to live. It works as a plot point, and Iím curious how long thisíll last. But given that weíre only seven episodes from the finale, it seems too little too late for me. I do still feel bad for Wisdom, though you have to wonder if he feels a bond with that parrot by now. Also Pollun still has the power of Creation, itís just leaking out of him for some reason. Oh well I donít really care. This episode was good because it focused on the showís strongest aspect: itís two leads. This seemed like a semi-completion of Nagisaís arc as a character? I could be wrong but then again Nagisa hasnít really changed over the season thus far. Stuff just sort of happens to her and she overcomes it. Aside from Fuji P, thatís not something she overcomes.

Last edited by GrumpyBookworm; February 26th, 2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old February 27th, 2019, 06:39 PM #56
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Futari Wa Precure Episode 43

Did Pollun honestly think that he and Mepple would love each other? That just proves that the kid is missing a brain.

This episode was so good and so sad at the same time. I think itís fair to say that Nagisa and Fuji arenít exactly couple of the year. Their relationship is sort of stuck in development hell because Nagisaís so uncomfortable about admitting to herself that she likes him. I felt for her during quite a bit of this episode. Itís hard to watch someone you like being sought after by another person. While I understand why Nagisa hasnít spoken up about it, I will say that I think she should do something about the crush. Youíll never know how he feels if you donít ask. I also thought that Honoka wanting to support Nagisa proves why sheís the best character. I loved the flashbacks to all the times that Nagisaís supported her. Honestly I think Nagisaís looking for love in the wrong places, Honokaís right there. I thought the battle with Regine was nice, if a bit similar to other battles thus far. Oh and also the Dark Seeds are changing for some reason. I donít know. I was more invested in Nagisaís character in this episode as sheís been through a lot emotionally the last few episodes. But itís a testament to her character that she can get back up every time.
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:59 PM #57
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Futari Wa Precure Episode 44

I feel like the chocolate animation was recycled from the last time Nagisa tried to make chocolates.

Itís Christmas Eve for the girls and the big school Christmas party is the centerpiece. Nagisaís not feeling it because sheís still bummed about the events from last episode. However its solved when Yui mentions that Fuji rejected her. Nagisa realizes that thereís a chance so she tries to spend time with him. Itís pretty much a run through of every Nagisa and Fuji moment. The two talk, Nagisa gets antsy, they bond, etc. Things get exciting when Belzei shows up and fights the girls, but even that ends the same way itís been going all season. The girls fight him, things end in a standstill with Belzei retreating and the Zakenna being defeated. I just donít know what to say. The show clearly needs to get to the final arc already. Itís been running in circles ever since this season started. I feel like we should have been picking off the Dark Seeds by now with Belzei bing the last one standing. A final twist is Kiriya showing up once more telling the girls that things are changing between the good and the dark forces, hinting at things to come. The appearance of Kiriya is welcome as it gives poor Honoka something to do this episode as sheís been on the back burner this whole episode. I do like the torment that she feels over him. Sort of a Ďthe one that got awayí sort of vibe.

Speaking of the Dark Seeds, theyíre really starting to get antsy about getting the Power of Creation. Now that theyíve fully committed to being in it for themselves, Iím waiting for them to really launch an attack that never comes. They just keep having the same conversation over and over. The Dark Forces do overtake another world, showing that their power is expanding. So thereís that. On a final note, I appreciate that Mepple wanted to do something nice for Nagisa. It shows that despite all of their arguments, they really do care for each other deep down. Even if he has an idiot like Pollun having to help him.
Old March 1st, 2019, 07:10 PM #58
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Futari Wa Precure Episode 45

Anyone else feel like The Dark Seeds just put their evil speeches through a thesaurus?

Not gonna lie, during the first half of the episode I forgot this was a show about magical girls. I donít why this episode in particular, because the showís done similar premises before where the Cures have to help another member of their supporting cast overcome an issue. In this case, itís the leader of the Sakura Classís chorus group Chiaki. Sheís so determined to have the song they play be perfect, that sheís overworking herself. It isnít until Nagisa and Honoka start singing the song in unison that she realizes that the two girls should have solos. While the events of the first half arenít the most original thing ever, it does highlight the showís amazing supporting cast. Much like an actual class, these characters have grown on me during my watch of the show. I love how they were determined to practice no matter whether Chiaki was there or not. I do think that them singing the opening would have been better because I like that song more, but I guess the ending is fine too.

Now on to the magical girl bit, the episode features the same battle weíve seen before. Per the rules of any episode featuring an important competition, Nagisa and Honoka are pulled away. Regine and Juna show up and fight the girls. Theyíre talking bout their plans and Nagisa and Honoka talk about how they want to be like normal girls and do things that they do. They do the Rainbow Storm, overpowering the Dark Seeds to flee at the last minute. I do think it was ridiculous that the Cures were able to get back to the song in time for their solo, but considering Nagisaís lacrosse track record itís not surprising.

Futari Wa Precure Episode 46

Ok but Nagisa in that picture is me in every one of my school pictures.

Let me start off by saying that the events of the episode are one-hundred percent Pollunís fault. The Dark Seeds lure out the Cures and Pollun in order to take the Power of Creation from him. They succeed because Pollunís an idiot and runs out of his hiding spot. So like I said, this could have been preventable if the little brat had stayed put. So they suck the Power of Creation out of Pollun because Belzei has Wisdomís powers becauseÖhe was in the same room as Wisdom. Pretending that made any sense, thatís still lazy writing in my opinion. So the Dark Seeds get the power and leave Pollun. The one good thing about this episode was that Pollun is no longer The Special, though for how long remains to be seen. The episode does get better when it goes back to the Cures at school and realizing that they have a home and friends they want to protect. Itís a touching scene that really is well-earned considering how much effort the story put in to making the audience care about the supporting class. And the episode ends with the Cures vowing to fight back against the Dark Seeds once and for all by going to the mansion. Iím just glad weíre finally at the final arc.

Futari Wa Precure Episode 47

Is it just me or does the fused Dark Seed form totally look like Hot Squidward from that one Spongebob episode?

Iím not quite sure what to say about this episode except hot damn. Things escalated very quickly, and yet not much happened. Most of the episode was dedicated to the Dark Seeds and their journey towards becoming independent. The Cures donít do much except get their butts handed to them in a fight and gawk. Given that the three canít handle the Power of Creation, it makes sense that they would have to fuse together. For once the Dark King seems like an actual threat. He wasnít all that scary throughout the show, but I do like that heís willing to fight the Dark Seeds for betraying him. The return of Kiriya is interesting to me. Iím curious as to where this will go. Heíll probably be giving the girls an info dump in the next episode. There were some interesting small subplots at play here also. I find it interesting that the spell from the last lacrosse episode made a comeback in the hypnosis of the girlsí family members to distract from their presence. Itís a nice twist. Also the Queen is doing her best to protect the Garden of Light, so weíll see how long that lasts. Oh and Pollun was whining because he didnít get to go to the Dark Zone too, even though heíd be of no help whatsoever. However I know that heíll get there eventually given that for some reason the writers are in love with the Demon Ball.

Futari Wa Precure Episode 48

I too would hang my head in shame if I had to say popo.

I didnít think this episode would be as intense as it was. I thought it was purely going to be dedicated to the fused Dark Seeds versus the Dark King. Instead this episode was more. It escalated the stakes in such a high way that I feel read for the final episode more than ever. Kiriya, turns out, escaped being fused into the darkness and is now forced to roam the chasm in the Dark Zone for all eternity. He explains this to the girls. I wish that Honoka and Kiriya had gotten a moment together due to their dynamic in the first half, but itís nothing that ruined the episode for me. The girls refuse to go back to Earth until theyíve gotten the Power of Creation back once and for all. So they go back and fight the fused Dark Seeds, only to be defeated once more. However due to some utter BS, Pollun and Wisdom are able to send the Rainbow Braces to the Cures. How this even happened I donít know. Iím not sure the writers did either to be honest. Itís a stupid scene where the writers are trying to make the audience think that Pollunís a vital part of the narrative. So with the Rainbow Storm, they start to defeat the Dark Seeds when all of a sudden the Seeds get absorbed into the Dark KingÖ.meaning that he now has the Power of Creation. In a lucky moment, the Cures get back to EarthÖand bring the Dark King with them. Itís the final showdown weíve been building to. Again.

Futari Wa Precure Episode 49

You know I wonít miss any of the graduating seniors.

What a mixed bag of a finale. The main thing I disliked about the finale was the fact that the writers forced Pollun into the center of it with him claiming that he grew as aÖball thing when he didnít. He was the same selfish brat from beginning to end. That being said, I do think that the final battle between the Cures and the Dark King was very well-done. I quite liked that they had to keep getting back up, but their determination remained the same. I liked all of the shots that were present in the opening of the show. It was a moment that did make me have a little geek out Iíll admit. So surprising no one, the Dark King is destroyedÖfor nowÖagain. In the aftermath of it all, Mepple and Mipple decide to go to sleep forever in order to remain with Honoka and Nagisa. Pollunís just practically dead to the world since he used up so much energy to give the girls their rainbow braces. Itís actually a bit of a downer seeing the girls having to part with the fairies theyíve gotten to know over the season. Iím not sad about Pollun at all, but I will miss Mepple and Mipple. Kiriya reborn, or someone that looks like him, showed up at the end to give Honoka one last look at her lost love. Eh. Despite all this, the girls will move on with their lives and enjoy their resumed lives as everyday schoolgirls.

So that was the first season of Precure. I started this show on a whim, and I was shocked to find myself invested in it. Was it a perfect show? No. Pollun being there brings it down, but I canít estimate enough how well done the first twenty-six episodes were. There is stuff that works here. When the showís good, itís really good. I wouldnít say there were episodes I would outrightly call bad, just certain plot elements. I think Nagisa and Honoka are great leads, and I can see why the show got popular. These girls kicked major ass. Needless to say, Iím curious to see what will happen in Season 2; Max Heart. I hear thereís my first glimpse at another addition to the team.
Old March 1st, 2019, 09:21 PM #59
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

About the endgame stuff: it's decent enough. I do actually miss the "madonna" character from the 2nd years of the graduates (Fuji-P...meh, he can fall off a cliff for all I care) but the stuff with the Dark Seeds and Evil King...I don't miss them. The only cool thing was what happened with Kiriya but it sort of feels unfair that he was just reborn as if nothing happened...yet Poisony dies like all the other pieces of the Evil King and yet they were brother and sister. (personally if I were to write one fan-fic of Futari, I probably would have a situation where Poisony was reborn as well and just couldn't recognize her former brother if to add a bit of tragedy that they both live but can never be together again) Oh and the chorus episode prior to the end-game was fun: another future Cure gets her first appearance (though she gets another side character in Splash Star) and I find it amusing they basically sing the ending theme for their song and we never find out who won.

Oh and Pollun...meh, I'd say forget the brat but...yeah, Max Heart's next. Just bare with it as I've said and you'll get to the good stuff eventually.
Old March 1st, 2019, 09:40 PM #60
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

I prefer the originally planned finale in Episode 26 but this is still decent (and the second half of Futari does have some genuinely good episodes like the Romeo and Juliet one and Episode 42). Like I said in the main Precure thread, Max Heart never really becomes unwatchable and there are some interesting concepts sprinkled throughout. But it also has some of the worst villains in the franchise and while our first "sixth" has an interesting backstory her actual character barely has a personality at all.

Also a reminder that from Max Heart onward you're going to have movies to deal with as well (Max Heart has two, every other season has one and starting from Fresh you've also got the All Stars movies, which are essentially the Precure equivalent of Sentai Vs. films only a lot more cluttered). With the exception of one other series everything from Splash Star onwards follows the Sentai route where every season features a different cast and story with little to no connection to its predecessors (and also much like Sentai there's too much internal contradiction between shows to place every season into a cohesive timeline).

And get used to Pollun, he becomes a lot more prominent next season (though also slightly more tolerable as well).