Menu

Old May 21st, 2019, 02:53 AM #41
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

Yeah, I think you need to report those.
I think he means teenagers. 30 year old teenagers.

The kill count on actual child characters is relatively low. Yeah, they're there, but mostly out of the 'anyone can die' trope. 9 times out of 10, underage kids are going to make it out of the movie alive.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 06:35 AM #42
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Yeah, children characters tend to die on a small note. Children and Pets are typically treated as no-no when it comes to killing. Halloween (2018) was the first time in a long time I recall killing a child and even then it was almost unceremoniously that if it wasn't for the fact the body wasn't found afterwards you could have written it off as he simply passed out.

Though with Brightburn itself that is going to be curious. out of the possible endings for this type of story killing the boy is a strong one.
Allio is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 02:19 PM #43
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Allio wrote: View Post

Yeah, children characters tend to die on a small note. Children and Pets are typically treated as no-no when it comes to killing. Halloween (2018) was the first time in a long time I recall killing a child and even then it was almost unceremoniously that if it wasn't for the fact the body wasn't found afterwards you could have written it off as he simply passed out.

Though with Brightburn itself that is going to be curious. out of the possible endings for this type of story killing the boy is a strong one.
Hereditary, Pet Sematary and Halloween are the three most recent ones in my mind, although
Prodigy was a weird example in that kid's soul dies but his body still lives with the serial killer fully taking over.
. Then going back there was Sinister 2 back in 2015, so it few and far between.

Odds are what the movie will do is
build up the kid's kryptonite as the one thing that can take him out, then at the last second we get a fake out of his mother getting ready to use it before he somehow turns the tables and survives.
Old May 24th, 2019, 12:30 AM #44
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 01:36 AM #45
> TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

Apparently,

The stinger makes it sound like an evil version of the dc universe. Ironically, this universe has something akin to a good lex Luther. Not sure if this is true, though.
TheLastBlade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 04:23 AM #46
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 07:03 PM #47
> CaptainCanoe
Pssssst. behind you!

CaptainCanoe
Pssssst. behind you!

Just saw the movie and I liked it.

Liked that the kid won in the end. When it was revealed that the metal from his spaceship could harm them you kinda think his Mom will kill him but she ends up bring tossed to the ground from very high up. Also the scene with his father when he tries shoot him in the back of the head only for the kid melt his face and blow the back of his head out with heat vision was pretty brutal. Wonder if this is setting up future movies as they teased at the end that there maybe others with powers
CaptainCanoe is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 07:48 PM #48
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Just got back.

I wasn't expecting this level of gore from the movie. The waitress with glass her in her must have been an alternate take because the movie it's much bloodier. Then there's the bit with the steering wheel. Just don't eat during this movie.

I found it interesting that they kind of set up what was going on with Brandon's speech at the beginning about the wasps that send their young to be raised by someone else. Then there's the spaceship setting something off in him on his 12th birthday... yeah, whatever planet sent him is probably preparing to come in and finish the job when he's older. It would be interesting to see a sequel where someone finds the ship and deduces the metal can hurt him.

I honestly thought they were going to have Brandon do something... worse to the girl given the father's talk in the woods about 'satisfying urges'. I'm really glad they didn't go there with that, it would have been... ew to see it play out like that.

Of course I knew he'd live in the end because they put the final scene in the trailer!

Overall I liked it. I hope they continue this story.

FYI, the kid who plays Brandon (evil Superman)? He was 12-year-old Scott in Endgame during the portal trial.
Old May 26th, 2019, 11:58 AM #49
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Got back from seeing it. I liked it, though on one hand it's basically exactly how I expected the movie to be.
That being said, for what it was it was fun. I do have some issues though. First, stupid one but when Noah is trying to take Brandon home and that whole creepy bit. When Brandon starts displaying his powers Noah decides the best thing to do is drive off, leaving his wife behind? I mean sure, he was at least tipsy, but I still had to stop and just raise an eyebrow. Though I did really love when his truck died in the road and he was seeing Brandon and going all "nope" "not good", etc etc. That was funny cause it felt kind of exactly what anyone who's really seen a horror movie would say in such a situation. It was realistic and amusing. Only...to then be horrifying when you see his jaw hanging off and him trying to hold it on, oh man.

I figured this was going to be the case, and it did kind of disappoint me. Brandon seems normal until he turns 12 and then the ship starts speaking to him and he goes all sociopath. I guess while I didn't expect complex reasoning for him to go evil, I just wanted something more. I mean sure, kids laughed at him once in class but he also got the girl complimenting him so I'd consider that a win. Otherwise he seemed perfectly normal till his ship possessed him with evil? I mean at least him doing some of the bad things he did did come from a sorta skewed kids' world view. He liked the girl, his dad just gave him a super awkward talk, so he goes to see her. By flying into her room and playing her music. Off her own laptop. In the middle of the night. Super creepy, but you at least get where he's coming from. After that though it just kinda devolves and he has a superiority complex...and lots of blood.

So I'm a bit mixed on it. I mean I get the point. It really seems like a hybrid of Superman's origins and Goku's. At least with the implications that Brandon was sent there, like Goku, to eventually awaken into his powers and take over the world for his people even without knowing who they are. But on the other hand, it made it a bit boring when he just immediately becomes a sociopath(okay, maybe wrong term but whatever). But hey I guess his race just clearly has way different problems with puberty than humans do. Though I figured he'd probably live, I did like that Tori remembered the ship hurt him and tried to use that against him. Also found it amusing that he crashed a plane into the house to cover up what happened so he could get away with it.

On the other hand the end just had him seemingly going around destroying things so I kind of wonder what's the point if covering up the murders when you're just going to go off and try and take the world. Guess even sociopathic super people need their down time? Or a sense of normalcy? I wouldn't be against a sequel, despite my criticisms, but I'd probably debate seeing it in theaters. Though it does make me curious if it'd be something like an alien invasion story but with Brandon leading the charge and actually succeeding. Or maybe we'd see someone step up to defeat him, who knows. I did enjoy the bit at the beginning of the credits with the fish man and the crazy lady killing people by tying them up with ropes. The evil Justice League made for a good laugh. Not sure whether they could pull off actually doing individual movies on evil versions of them, but it does make for an amusing joke nonetheless.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 01:03 PM #50
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Alitain wrote: View Post

Got back from seeing it. I liked it, though on one hand it's basically exactly how I expected the movie to be.
That being said, for what it was it was fun. I do have some issues though. First, stupid one but when Noah is trying to take Brandon home and that whole creepy bit. When Brandon starts displaying his powers Noah decides the best thing to do is drive off, leaving his wife behind? I mean sure, he was at least tipsy, but I still had to stop and just raise an eyebrow. Though I did really love when his truck died in the road and he was seeing Brandon and going all "nope" "not good", etc etc. That was funny cause it felt kind of exactly what anyone who's really seen a horror movie would say in such a situation. It was realistic and amusing. Only...to then be horrifying when you see his jaw hanging off and him trying to hold it on, oh man.

I figured this was going to be the case, and it did kind of disappoint me. Brandon seems normal until he turns 12 and then the ship starts speaking to him and he goes all sociopath. I guess while I didn't expect complex reasoning for him to go evil, I just wanted something more. I mean sure, kids laughed at him once in class but he also got the girl complimenting him so I'd consider that a win. Otherwise he seemed perfectly normal till his ship possessed him with evil? I mean at least him doing some of the bad things he did did come from a sorta skewed kids' world view. He liked the girl, his dad just gave him a super awkward talk, so he goes to see her. By flying into her room and playing her music. Off her own laptop. In the middle of the night. Super creepy, but you at least get where he's coming from. After that though it just kinda devolves and he has a superiority complex...and lots of blood.

So I'm a bit mixed on it. I mean I get the point. It really seems like a hybrid of Superman's origins and Goku's. At least with the implications that Brandon was sent there, like Goku, to eventually awaken into his powers and take over the world for his people even without knowing who they are. But on the other hand, it made it a bit boring when he just immediately becomes a sociopath(okay, maybe wrong term but whatever). But hey I guess his race just clearly has way different problems with puberty than humans do. Though I figured he'd probably live, I did like that Tori remembered the ship hurt him and tried to use that against him. Also found it amusing that he crashed a plane into the house to cover up what happened so he could get away with it.

On the other hand the end just had him seemingly going around destroying things so I kind of wonder what's the point if covering up the murders when you're just going to go off and try and take the world. Guess even sociopathic super people need their down time? Or a sense of normalcy? I wouldn't be against a sequel, despite my criticisms, but I'd probably debate seeing it in theaters. Though it does make me curious if it'd be something like an alien invasion story but with Brandon leading the charge and actually succeeding. Or maybe we'd see someone step up to defeat him, who knows. I did enjoy the bit at the beginning of the credits with the fish man and the crazy lady killing people by tying them up with ropes. The evil Justice League made for a good laugh. Not sure whether they could pull off actually doing individual movies on evil versions of them, but it does make for an amusing joke nonetheless.
Well, Brandon is wearing the mask while he's destroying stuff. Take the mask off, change his clothes and he can blend into a crowd easily enough to just relax and do teen stuff while he gears up for his next slaughter.

I was thinking about this leading toward invasion as well, especially with Brandon talking about the wasps that send their young to be raised by other hives at the beginning. I think that's what his race does, send their young to other worlds to infiltrate and conquer so they can easily move in.

People are saying that Brandon destroyed his ship, which I don't remember seeing. Yeah, he sent the plane to cover up the deaths, but did that really destroy the ship or just bury it under a bunch of rubble? I hope there's a sequel where the Lex Luthor expy discovers the ship and what it can do. Maybe he build's the Luthor power suit to take on Brandon.

Another thing I noticed: I think Brandon needs food to live. We see him eating during several scenes in the movie. I know the actual Superman eats just because he's used to it, but it just felt like this kid was eating because he's genuinely hungry. I mean, at one point he was eating a massive plate of eggs. So I wonder if that's his true weakness beyond the ship itself.
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:01 PM #51
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Well, Brandon is wearing the mask while he's destroying stuff. Take the mask off, change his clothes and he can blend into a crowd easily enough to just relax and do teen stuff while he gears up for his next slaughter.

I was thinking about this leading toward invasion as well, especially with Brandon talking about the wasps that send their young to be raised by other hives at the beginning. I think that's what his race does, send their young to other worlds to infiltrate and conquer so they can easily move in.

People are saying that Brandon destroyed his ship, which I don't remember seeing. Yeah, he sent the plane to cover up the deaths, but did that really destroy the ship or just bury it under a bunch of rubble? I hope there's a sequel where the Lex Luthor expy discovers the ship and what it can do. Maybe he build's the Luthor power suit to take on Brandon.

Another thing I noticed: I think Brandon needs food to live. We see him eating during several scenes in the movie. I know the actual Superman eats just because he's used to it, but it just felt like this kid was eating because he's genuinely hungry. I mean, at one point he was eating a massive plate of eggs. So I wonder if that's his true weakness beyond the ship itself.
Yeah I couldn't say that his ship was destroyed. It looked like he just crashed the plane into the house to cover up that whole mess. I honestly didn't notice if the barn was destroyed too. Also it's not entirely clear whether Brandon would've even put two-and-two together. Sure, he's really smart but that doesn't exactly mean he'd figure it out. And he could've assumed Tori trying to stab him was just the same kind of betrayal his dad tried with the gun. Him stopping her wasn't really that he was worried about getting hurt, just a reaction and then the betrayal of her trying to kill him. So hard to say, I'd go with it could go either way? But I'm betting if he didn't just take the ship with him, then it's still there though I feel like it'd be risky to leave it in the barn after all this.

Well I don't know if I'd put any stock in his eating, but generally using powers takes energy so it also wouldn't be out there that he'd need to keep eating to keep his strength up. Then again, he's also a growing kid too. But lacking energy to utilize his powers would make for a good exploit.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:29 PM #52
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Going to see the film tomorrow. This is like the one film I have 100% avoided spoilers for.
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:43 PM #53
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Allio wrote: View Post

Going to see the film tomorrow. This is like the one film I have 100% avoided spoilers for.
Good, I also hope you've avoided most of the trailers for reasons that'll become clear as you watch the movie.

They gave away the ending in one the trailers, something I realized towards the end.
Old May 26th, 2019, 09:29 PM #54
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Actually got off work early tonight then expected so I caught the last showing tonight.

Really enjoyed it. But then again I love edgy superhero stuff like Amazons