Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:35 PM #81
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,312
Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,312



Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9tkmos5CN4
I remember that episode.

Man, that's what I love about this show. It's aware of everything. What works for Sonic animation, what fans say about the franchise, which memes they use... Love it.

People in charge MUST renew it for season 3.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 03:27 AM #82
ViRGE's Avatar
> ViRGE
Christmas Cartel Enforcer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,647
ViRGE
Christmas Cartel Enforcer
ViRGE's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,647



Sonic Mania is out.

(Just finished the first Zone; so far it's pushing all the right buttons)
ViRGE is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 09:33 AM #83
Kyle16's Avatar
> Kyle16
Figuring it out
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,076
Kyle16
Figuring it out
Kyle16's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,076



In the middle of flying battery zone. Using my gamecube controller since its the only proper D-pad I have for the switch. From what I've played they really nailed it.

Edit: Think I just ran into a bug, the music just stopped randomly. Not at a boss or anything either.

Last edited by Kyle16; August 15th, 2017 at 09:43 AM.
Kyle16 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 09:45 AM #84
Akiba Black's Avatar
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,793
Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior
Akiba Black's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,793



So any idea yet if Tails and Knuckles get their Super forms in this game (though I'm guessing the true final boss you get if you have all the emeralds is Sonic exclusive)? Just checking to see if it's worth trying to go through the Special Stages with them if nothing else.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 09:55 AM #85
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,132
AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,132



Akiba Black wrote: View Post

So any idea yet if Tails and Knuckles get their Super forms in this game (though I'm guessing the true final boss you get if you have all the emeralds is Sonic exclusive)? Just checking to see if it's worth trying to go through the Special Stages with them if nothing else.
No Super Tails until Sonic 3 was the biggest middle finger.

I can't imagine Sonic Team would ever do that to us again.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 10:11 AM #86
Akiba Black's Avatar
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,793
Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior
Akiba Black's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,793



PrimoMystechRanger wrote: View Post

No Super Tails until Sonic 3 was the biggest middle finger.

I can't imagine Sonic Team would ever do that to us again.
Or ever again afterwards unless you want to count the golden shield he got in Sonic Heroes (same goes for Knuckles for that matter), hopefully they put them in this one though.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 10:17 AM #87
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,312
Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,312



Get Super Tails or even the mere fact I could beat the whole game using only him would be the only and necessary reason to make me buy this game.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 10:33 AM #88
Akiba Black's Avatar
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,793
Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior
Akiba Black's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,793



Decided to look it up for myself and yes, both Tails and Knuckles can go Super in this game. Tails doesn't have the Flickies anymore but he does apparently get infinite flight time (not 100% sure on that though). Super Knuckles is more or less identical to how he was in the Genesis games.

Last edited by Akiba Black; August 15th, 2017 at 10:42 AM.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 12:44 PM #89
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
> Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,740
Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,740



Akiba Black wrote: View Post

So any idea yet if Tails and Knuckles get their Super forms in this game (though I'm guessing the true final boss you get if you have all the emeralds is Sonic exclusive)? Just checking to see if it's worth trying to go through the Special Stages with them if nothing else.
I will label everything in spoiler

There is 12 Zone each comprise of 2 act but not all those have zones transitions this is a bit disappointing. Here's the list:

Green Hill
transition
Chemical Plant
transition
Studiopolis
transition
Flying Battery
no transition
Press Garden
transition
Stardust Speedway
no transition
Hydrocity
no transition
Mirage Saloon
transition
Oil Ocean
no transition
Lava Reef
no transition
Metallic Madness
no transition
Titanic Monarch

The true ending tie in with Sonic Forces once you have collected all Chaos Emerald, Super Knuckles and Super Tails are available (minus the Flickies for Super Tails) Super Peel Out and Insta Shield are available also
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 03:36 PM #90
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,312
Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,312



Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Decided to look it up for myself and yes, both Tails and Knuckles can go Super in this game. Tails doesn't have the Flickies anymore but he does apparently get infinite flight time (not 100% sure on that though). Super Knuckles is more or less identical to how he was in the Genesis games.
Thank you.

Now, I know which will be my first Nintendo Switch game.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 03:41 AM #91
Random's Avatar
> Random
The Lizard Queen
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,251
Random
The Lizard Queen
Random's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,251



I can't believe it's taken Sega this long to realise that 2D Sonic games shouldn't be developed by Dimps.

It gets pretty much everything perfect, especially the level design. Contrary to popular belief/memes, Sonic should NOT be all about speed! Sure, you can fly through levels on repeated plays if you're skilled enough, but it shouldn't be all grind rails and speed boosts. It's nice to finally see another Sonic game that understands that and offers the branching paths, exploration and puzzle elements that the originals did.

It's slightly disappointing that this is all done as a "remix" game, but there are enough new levels in here and changes to the old worlds to make it feel fresh. I only hope they bring this team back to make a whole new game sometime in the future, because this feels far closer to Sonic 4 than that other abomination could ever dream of.

IMO, this is the first real return to form for Sonic and hopefully Sega take something away from this and realise what they're doing wrong with the 3D games and the series as a whole.
Random is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:32 AM #92
JCP05's Avatar
> JCP05
Urban Ranger
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 475
JCP05
Urban Ranger
JCP05's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 475



Random wrote: View Post

I can't believe it's taken Sega this long to realise that 2D Sonic games shouldn't be developed by Dimps.

It gets pretty much everything perfect, especially the level design. Contrary to popular belief/memes, Sonic should NOT be all about speed! Sure, you can fly through levels on repeated plays if you're skilled enough, but it shouldn't be all grind rails and speed boosts. It's nice to finally see another Sonic game that understands that and offers the branching paths, exploration and puzzle elements that the originals did.

It's slightly disappointing that this is all done as a "remix" game, but there are enough new levels in here and changes to the old worlds to make it feel fresh. I only hope they bring this team back to make a whole new game sometime in the future, because this feels far closer to Sonic 4 than that other abomination could ever dream of.


IMO, this is the first real return to form for Sonic and hopefully Sega take something away from this and realise what they're doing wrong with the 3D games and the series as a whole.
Well you know what they say, To be this good takes "ages".
JCP05 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:53 AM #93
TheLastBlade's Avatar
> TheLastBlade
Power Ranger
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,055
TheLastBlade
Power Ranger
TheLastBlade's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,055



To be fair, most of Sonic's ridicule comes from his many crappy spinoffs.
TheLastBlade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 09:53 AM #94
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,957
eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,957
eBay



I can't believe that this is the first Sonic game to be released for twenty years. You'd think they'd want to capitalize on his popularity, but no, there have been No. Games. Released.

It's very challenging. The controls are spot on. The graphics are a bit busy- often too much 'stuff' on screen and moving hazards are not immediately detectable while Sonic is in motion as there's not much of a contrast. The special zones are miserable though- why would you choose the Sonic CD one? Those UFOs are fucking a-holes! I'm certainly struggling to get Perfect's on Blue Sphere too. Boss fights can be unforgiving so some of them definitely need practice. I hope I get my skills back with this- it's absolutely a bit faster than the old games and you need fast reactions.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 12:51 PM #95
turbo409uk's Avatar
> turbo409uk
.
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,506
turbo409uk
.
turbo409uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,506



Random wrote: View Post

I can't believe it's taken Sega this long to realise that 2D Sonic games shouldn't be developed by Dimps.
Dimps seemed to be doing ok until the criticisms of Sonic 4 and the 3DS version of Lost World.
turbo409uk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 01:07 PM #96
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
> Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,740
Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,740



Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

I can't believe that this is the first Sonic game to be released for twenty years. You'd think they'd want to capitalize on his popularity, but no, there have been No. Games. Released.
When you say that you are speaking about 2D Classic Sonic right ?

Because we had Sonic Colours, Generations and heck Unleashed who was a correct game.
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 01:32 PM #97
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,957
eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,957
eBay



Nahp. They completely neglected to make any Sonic games at all. Crazy business decision.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:17 PM #98
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
> Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,740
Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !
Otokusastu Zetto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,740



Sounds like you are a purist who value only 2D games that's sad and that's why I can't take part of the Sonic Fandom seriously.

The Boost Formula games are awesome they are good games if they are not your taste then it's your own problem only I'm sad for you.
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:17 PM #99
TheLastBlade's Avatar
> TheLastBlade
Power Ranger
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,055
TheLastBlade
Power Ranger
TheLastBlade's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,055



Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

When you say that you are speaking about 2D Classic Sonic right ?

Because we had Sonic Colours, Generations and heck Unleashed who was a correct game.
Unleashed is black knight levels of hipster.
TheLastBlade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:46 PM #100
Xalfrea's Avatar
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,589
Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf
Xalfrea's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 17,589



I like Colors and Generations, but I gotta admit, seeing gameplay vids of Mania, really does feel refreshing and like a return to form.

PS4 is a planned purchase next year, and assuming that it won't come out for the 3DS in the meantime (Which I hope it does), Mania is definitely a must-buy for me.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.