Home Menu

Menu

Old July 26th, 2017, 07:52 AM #41
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

It's so weird seeing people be excited for Forces here because I've seen basically nothing but hatred for it most other places. Yelling about how it's a rehash and Mania looks better even though it's rehashing stuff more than Forces is.

Don't take that to mean I think Mania looks bad I'm just saying I can't stand the hypocrisy.
SonicBlueRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 08:38 AM #42
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

SonicBlueRanger wrote: View Post

It's so weird seeing people be excited for Forces here because I've seen basically nothing but hatred for it most other places. Yelling about how it's a rehash and Mania looks better even though it's rehashing stuff more than Forces is.

Don't take that to mean I think Mania looks bad I'm just saying I can't stand the hypocrisy.
How in any sense could Forces be considered a rehash? The only famillar level we've seen in it is Green Hill (though then again we've only seen two levels so far). Whereas in Mania we've only seen like 2 or 3 new zones so far (and one of them is basically the scrapped Dust Hill level from Sonic 2 finally realized). Whether or not Forces will be good or not still remains to be seen (in my opinon it seems like a step up from Lost World as far as gameplay goes and I'm glad that weird Minnie Mouse-esque voice Amy had seems to be gone for good) but I'll reserve judgement until I actually get a chance to play it.

Hell, a while back I've heard people saying they wanted a Sonic Generations 2 and now they're complaining that we basically got one? This fanbase will never be happy will they?
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:08 AM #43
> Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !

Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !

At a second thought the fanbase in Sonic is as wrost as the DB Fanbase
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 02:23 PM #44
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

How in any sense could Forces be considered a rehash? The only famillar level we've seen in it is Green Hill (though then again we've only seen two levels so far). Whereas in Mania we've only seen like 2 or 3 new zones so far (and one of them is basically the scrapped Dust Hill level from Sonic 2 finally realized). Whether or not Forces will be good or not still remains to be seen (in my opinon it seems like a step up from Lost World as far as gameplay goes and I'm glad that weird Minnie Mouse-esque voice Amy had seems to be gone for good) but I'll reserve judgement until I actually get a chance to play it.

Hell, a while back I've heard people saying they wanted a Sonic Generations 2 and now they're complaining that we basically got one? This fanbase will never be happy will they?
All points I've raised in the last thread. People were questioning why we didn't get a follow-up to Generations when we instead got Lost World... and now we're getting a follow-up to Generations they're pissed. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so predictable.
JaimeZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 02:39 PM #45
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Sonic has always had one of the most toxic fanbases I've seen in almost any media, it's just gotten worse as time went on. But my philosophy is if you base your opinion of a franchise entirely on it's more vocal fans then you'll never be able to enjoy anything. Personally, with a handful of exceptions (Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic Free Riders, every Sonic Boom game except Fire & Ice), I've gotten at least some enjoyment out of every Sonic game I've played (not that some of them weren't deeply flawed mind you).

As for the new titles, Mania basically looks like what Sonic 4 should have been and Forces is a return to the tried and true gameplay style of Unleashed-Generations (though it would be nice if they would show off a level that wasn't Green Hill or a city at some point). And based on the Infinite reveal trailer the plot doesn't seem to be going as full blown serious as inital trailers made it seem, though it's not completely lighthearted either. I'm personally looking forward to both at this point.
Old July 26th, 2017, 02:47 PM #46
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Man, I even managed to find some enjoyment out of Labyrinth way back when; I was never keen on Sonic 4, I didn't like Lost World because it was such an unnecessary step back-and-way-to-the-side after all the positive steps forward they'd took, and try as I did with Boom, it was just a bad game.

Most of the other hated ones, I actually enjoy; I really enjoyed Black Knight, got a kick out of Sonic 06 fully aware of the state it was in, and I genuinely love Unleashed (360).
Old July 26th, 2017, 03:01 PM #47
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

JaimeZeo wrote: View Post

Man, I even managed to find some enjoyment out of Labyrinth way back when; I was never keen on Sonic 4, I didn't like Lost World because it was such an unnecessary step back-and-way-to-the-side after all the positive steps forward they'd took, and try as I did with Boom, it was just a bad game.

Most of the other hated ones, I actually enjoy; I really enjoyed Black Knight, got a kick out of Sonic 06 fully aware of the state it was in, and I genuinely love Unleashed (360).
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice for the 3DS fixes most of the problems of its predecessors (the levels are short and can be blasted through in a couple minutes if you're just going straight to the end, item collection is only necessary for unlocking stuff in multiplayer mode and aside from some early levels being tailored to a specific character's moveset you can pretty much complete every level using only one character, and unlike the previous 3DS game there's more than one actual boss fight). Only real problem is the game can be beaten in a few hours and there isn't much in the way of replay value. But it's still probably the best of the series by default as it's the only one that plays even remotely like a Sonic game.

I also enjoyed parts of 06 (and Lost World to an extent, though it's worse on the 3DS than it is on the Wii U) and think Black Knight is better than Secret Rings in pretty much every aspect.
Old July 26th, 2017, 07:10 PM #48
> FET-Kun
Dude In A Terriermon Suit

FET-Kun

My take, is that people are not so much unhappy about the return of Unleashed/Colors/Generations style of game play, but rather the inclusion of classic Sonic again in what should of been a modern Sonic only game.

We have a literal classic Sonic game coming out that very well could be the start of a larger run of classic oriented games. So, to then have SEGA include Classic Sonic in the modern main line game, (in the same way they did a few years ago already) shows a lack of faith that they have in modern Sonic. SEGA has inadvertently caused a huge identity problem for the franchise, by allowing Classic Sonic to seemingly be a blatant crutch.
FET-Kun is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 07:20 PM #49
> Power PC!
Dames call it Dino Power

Power PC!
Dames call it Dino Power

I'm waiting to see if there's an actual decent in-story reason for classic Sonic to be in the game before crying foul. I mean, they probably did lazily shoehorn him in to pander to classic fans, but at this point, we still know so little.
Power PC! is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 08:00 PM #50
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Power PC! wrote: View Post

I'm waiting to see if there's an actual decent in-story reason for classic Sonic to be in the game before crying foul. I mean, they probably did lazily shoehorn him in to pander to classic fans, but at this point, we still know so little.
Well this Infinite guy seems to be messing with time a bit from what I gather (which would explain why Chaos 0 and Zavok are there and why Shadow is suddenly an enemy again) so that might have something to do with it but who knows?
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:06 PM #51
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

FET-Kun wrote: View Post

My take, is that people are not so much unhappy about the return of Unleashed/Colors/Generations style of game play, but rather the inclusion of classic Sonic again in what should of been a modern Sonic only game.

We have a literal classic Sonic game coming out that very well could be the start of a larger run of classic oriented games. So, to then have SEGA include Classic Sonic in the modern main line game, (in the same way they did a few years ago already) shows a lack of faith that they have in modern Sonic. SEGA has inadvertently caused a huge identity problem for the franchise, by allowing Classic Sonic to seemingly be a blatant crutch.
I'll never complain about classic sonic, to me that is the Superior design hands down. I just think it looks uninspired. That might sound constricting but I think they could use classic sonic and still make it refreshing. Instead they are just using their old bag of tricks.
Kyle16 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 01:54 AM #52
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

I've seen both; I've seen a bunch of people happy that Classic Sonic is in the game and angry about the boost gameplay, I've seen people happy about one of them being in there but not at how its being implemented, and I've seen a bunch of people furious about Classic Sonic's inclusion and how it "harms the brand identity". Either way, it's indicative of how relentlessly polarising the Sonic fanbase is and how Sonic Team are in a lose-lose situation whenever they release a game.

Look at it this way; "a few years ago" is actually six years; that's a bigger gap between Forces and Generations than there was between Generations and 06, or 06 and Adventure 2. In game terms, six years is a lifetime apart. Back then, they were constantly changing up formulas and gameplay styles and trying to make things stick; this time they've looked back, took what their best received formula was and started with that; naturally that formula was Generations, which included Classic Sonic.

Don't get me wrong; Classic Sonic isn't needed in this game, but he doesn't harm it by being in there, just like he didn't harm Generations. Sonic games having alternate characters/gameplay technically goes back as far as Sonic 3 & Knuckles; it was the norm for the Adventure games that fans can't seem to get past, but then derided in 06 and Generations, so they went with an easier approach of having the much-loved Classic Sonic as the alt-gameplay. It worked; there's no reason at all why it shouldn't work here. This is a series that incorporates different characters and gameplay styles routinely; there's no identity issue there whatsoever. People are just looking for reasons to bitch about a new Sonic game, and are latching onto whatever aspect they can to make it more of an issue than it is.
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:45 AM #53
> Fizzy
the fizziest

Fizzy
the fizziest

Really really interested in the IDW comic series, as well as Forces. It seems up my alley, I've never been able to play Sonic except for a rom or two of the first and third game on my very first computer ages ago, when I was like 5-6 years old (my mother had DL'd them, not me).

Really wanna know more about the comic as it's announced
Fizzy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 05:05 AM #54
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

We have a literal classic Sonic game coming out that very well could be the start of a larger run of classic oriented games. So, to then have SEGA include Classic Sonic in the modern main line game, (in the same way they did a few years ago already) shows a lack of faith that they have in modern Sonic.
Having Classic Sonic in Sonic Forces could have been something that was decided long before anyone decided to create Sonic Mania.
turbo409uk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:14 AM #55
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Power Rangers fans are awful. Saban brought back Bulk and 'Go go Power Rangers' for Samurai and they complained. And then they brought back the school and past Rangers for Megaforce and the fans complained even more. Power Rangers fans are awful. Saban just can't catch a break.

It's the same thing with Forces. Colours and Generations were well received, but it had little to do with the boost and Classic Sonic.

Now they've brought back boost and Classic Sonic, but they haven't brought back any of the things that made Colours and Generations awesome. To be fair, they might not being show those things off yet. But, at the moment, Forces just feels like a lazy rehash. Just like having Bulk and 'Go go Power Rangers' wasn't enough to make Samurai good and having the school/past Rangers weren't enough for Megaforce.

Also, let's not forget, the last spectacular Sonic game was Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Since then every Sonic game has ranged from disappointing to awful. Colours, Generations and the DS titles were the only good ones and even they had slight flaws. So it's no wonder that most Sonic fans aren't overflowing with optimism. Mania is the first title that seems like it could raise the bar that S3&K set.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:21 AM #56
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

big smile wrote: View Post

Also, let's not forget, the last spectacular Sonic game was Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Is that mostly just because of nostalgia towards that game?
Old July 27th, 2017, 07:52 AM #57
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

turbo409uk wrote: View Post

Is that mostly just because of nostalgia towards that game?
Possibly. But I think that was the last game that seemed to have a high standard of quality throughout. It excelled at everything it did and was filled with interesting ideas. There was nothing you wish they had cut out or dropped (except maybe that barrel in Carnival Night).

It didn't have any flawed bits like all the other titles have had since.
Old July 27th, 2017, 03:46 PM #58
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

Sonic Forces has a release date
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...vember_release
Old July 27th, 2017, 04:59 PM #59
> FET-Kun

FET-Kun

big smile wrote: View Post

Power Rangers fans are awful. Saban brought back Bulk and 'Go go Power Rangers' for Samurai and they complained. And then they brought back the school and past Rangers for Megaforce and the fans complained even more. Power Rangers fans are awful. Saban just can't catch a break.
Not going to get too deep here on PR in a Sonic thread... but there are legit reasons for the hate when it comes to Samurai and Megaforce. It's not about Saban not catching a break because fans suck, those seasons made critical mistakes in countless ways.

Anyway, granted Forces was actually planned out far before Mania's production. So the point that Classic was included before Mania was even green lit makes sense. In fact, Mania began production in 2016, long after Forces begin it's development in late 2013. With such a short turn around, if Mania is as polished and featured fill as they have promised, it'll be even more impressive.

For the record, I really don't have any problems with Forces and I'm looking forward to playing it, but will admit that Mania has me far more hyped. One of my hopes though, was that I wanted to see Mania with more updated artwork, where perhaps the sprites were more hires. Certainly, maintain that 16-bit look and feel, just a bit cleaner with clearer details.
FET-Kun is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 02:02 AM #60
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Not going to get too deep here on PR in a Sonic thread... but there are legit reasons for the hate when it comes to Samurai and Megaforce. It's not about Saban not catching a break because fans suck, those seasons made critical mistakes in countless ways.
I was being sarcastic to make a point about Sonic fans. Your point about the legit hate towards Samurai/Megaforce perfectly illustrates the situation with Sonic Forces.