Menu

Old January 20th, 2017, 05:57 PM #1
> Deltron
My Only Love

Deltron
My Only Love

Terminator Franchise: The Future's Not Set

http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminat...ce-1201890848/
Heíll be back! James Cameron, who regains certain rights to his prized creation The Terminator in 2019, is godfathering a new iteration of the film that might finally get it right in drawing a close in the battle between humans and Skynet. Sources said that Cameron, whose copyright reversion happens 35 years after the release of the 1984 classic, is in early talks with Deadpool director and VFX wiz Tim Miller to direct a reboot and conclusion of one of cinemaís great science fiction tales.

David Ellison, whose Skydance co-financed Terminator Genisys, is bankrolling an exploratory effort that includes engaging some top-flight science fiction authors to find the movie creatively. Ellison still holds many Terminator rights, after his 2013 acquisition from sister and Annapurna principal Megan Ellison. She bought them in 2011 at Cannes for $20 million.

This is the latest development in an ongoing saga. Indeed, The Terminator might have endured the craziest road of any billion-dollar movie franchise, going back to when Cameron * who only had Piranha 2 under his belt as director * sold rights to his scripted project for $1 to producer Gale Anne Hurd, with the stipulation he could not be fired as director. The result was a 1984 sci-fi classic that launched his star and that of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Cameron came back and topped himself to write and direct he blockbuster Terminator 2: Judgment Day, but he washed his hands of the property after that. He mentioned to producers Mario Kassar and Andy Vajna his plans to buy the rights back from Carolco bankruptcy. They beat him to the punch, figuring he would still participate, but Cameron responded by walking away. He didnít participate in the three films that followed, or the TV show The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The rights ended up with Pacificor, which paid $29.5 million, and Megan Ellison bought them after that company floundered.
Deltron is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:05 PM #2
> ⚡Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay
Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay

Can't we just leave Terminator alone? They tried twice already and both times were failures (though there were parts of Salvation I actually enjoyed).
Lord Buttus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:38 PM #3
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Genisys was fine for the most part. It just sort of stumbled the ending and name. Everything before they jump ahead in time was great. Sarah Connor Chronicles was great, too. I like the ideas they set up though, that due to time travelling, you can reboot it over and over, and that it keeps happening.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 06:53 PM #4
> Deltron
My Only Love

Deltron
My Only Love

I think w/ Cameron overseeing it, it could be good.

I thought Salvation was okay, a little boring at points...nice plot twist...Genisys was okay, but marketing ruined it...and I wasn't even actively trying to watch trailers/tv spots etc.
Deltron is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:14 AM #5
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

They should just let Harlan write the damn thing, after all, that's how it all inadvertedly started.
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 02:53 AM #6
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

Boy, that thread title is confusing.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:00 AM #7
> ⚡Zeddykins
FACEPALM

Zeddykins
FACEPALM

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It has the potential to be good, but it could also fail miserably after the mess that was Genisys. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully they don't have Arnold making any type of appearances. I know his image is tied to the T-800 quite heavily, but I feel like it's time to let go.
Zeddykins is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:48 AM #8
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Zeddykins wrote: View Post

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It has the potential to be good, but it could also fail miserably after the mess that was Genisys. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully they don't have Arnold making any type of appearances. I know his image is tied to the T-800 quite heavily, but I feel like it's time to let go.
That's true, it felt like his inclusion in Genisys was made purely to appease people who felt Salvation did'nt work without him (I know he was in it via CGI, but it was a cameo), so we're left possibly going forward with that same trepedition and wondering if it'll pay off this time.
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:57 AM #9
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Terminator is back "AGAIN" well honest will be nice they just gives a final conclusion for this story, since Genesys gives the final battle, bt is basic always they try to reboot and bring a new fresch Terminator created another paradox times, since the Genesys finish with that post-credit scene at least keep in that line...
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 04:22 AM #10
> Darthbane2007
Power Ranger

Darthbane2007
Power Ranger

I can see the plot now...

Skynet sends back a new previously never before seen Terminator ( Played by some notable actor) to eliminate John Connor in the past. The resistance for some unexplainable reason sends back an antique terminator resembling a bodybuilder from the 80s. Some stuff happebs, and somehow the antique model destroys the newer one...
Darthbane2007 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 04:38 AM #11
> ⚡Zeddykins
FACEPALM

Zeddykins
FACEPALM

Thank you for saving the $12 I would have wasted going to the theater. That is exactly the plot I'm expecting, sadly enough.
Zeddykins is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 06:04 AM #12
> TheSentaiGuy
making idiocy an art form

TheSentaiGuy
making idiocy an art form

Primo Ron White wrote: View Post

Wait, I think I got it. There's going to be a Godfather/Terminator/Deadpool crossover, with James Cameron as executive producer, and Tim Miller as director.
TheSentaiGuy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 06:57 AM #13
> Darthbane2007
Power Ranger

Darthbane2007
Power Ranger

Zeddykins wrote: View Post

Thank you for saving the $12 I would have wasted going to the theater. That is exactly the plot I'm expecting, sadly enough.
What else can they do that's different?
Darthbane2007 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 07:11 AM #14
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

TheSentaiGuy wrote: View Post

Wait, I think I got it. There's going to be a Godfather/Terminator/Deadpool crossover, with James Cameron as executive producer, and Tim Miller as director.
...I would watch the shit out of that.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:00 AM #15
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

I suppose Terminator Works much better when Cameron is the Director, because the T1 andd Judgment Day worked perfect.

T3 it was kind of forced, but gives the ideia was impossible to stop Judgment Day, and the Machines Rise anyway.

Salvation I think it was a nice way to give to the fans a glimpse of the Started of the War before John becamed the Leader of the Resistance.

Genesys it was a way they use to bring a completed diferente time, since we Finally saw the Final Battle and Skynet himself, and make the Hero the Skynet himself, and for the finale Skynet always wins.
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:28 AM #16
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

With more losses than successes to it's name, I really can't believe studios are so hellbent on dragging it up.

Did the last three movies even turn a profit? Each had a production budget of around $200 million, plus marketing (Genisys in particular had a heavy marketing campaign) and each turned around $400 million or less at the box office. Using the adage of seeing $2 at the box office for every $1 spent, they'd all had to have made at least $500 million to make a profit, right?

With two hits, one cancelled TV show and three box office failures, at what will Hollywood stop believing it's a viable franchise?
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 04:41 PM #17
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

With more losses than successes to it's name, I really can't believe studios are so hellbent on dragging it up.

Did the last three movies even turn a profit? Each had a production budget of around $200 million, plus marketing (Genisys in particular had a heavy marketing campaign) and each turned around $400 million or less at the box office. Using the adage of seeing $2 at the box office for every $1 spent, they'd all had to have made at least $500 million to make a profit, right?

With two hits, one cancelled TV show and three box office failures, at what will Hollywood stop believing it's a viable franchise?
I'm sure it eventually turned a profit not much though. You're right that this should be considered a failure but who knows about the next one. Something as simple as putting Cameron and Tim Miller onto this project might peek interest from both a studio and average movie goers.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 08:05 PM #18
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

How James Cameron & David Fincher Helped Get Deadpool Made

http://www.slashfilm.com/deadpool-ja...david-fincher/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/...-deadpool-made

http://movieweb.com/deadpool-movie-p...david-fincher/

An interesting example of "It's not what you know. It's who you know"

Darthbane2007 wrote: View Post

I can see the plot now...

Skynet sends back a new previously never before seen Terminator ( Played by some notable actor) to eliminate John Connor in the past. The resistance for some unexplainable reason sends back an antique terminator resembling a bodybuilder from the 80s. Some stuff happens, and somehow the antique model destroys the newer one...

Ronda Rousey VS Arnold Schwarzenegger or The Rock

Let's say another resistance member like Kyle Reese goes back to kill a Terminator but he dies 20 minutes into the movie. The Rock picks up things where the Resistance member left off

The Rock- Hey! Hey! Who are you?

Resistance Member- No fate but what we make...........

*Resistance Member dies on the street*

Last edited by Gold Samurai; January 21st, 2017 at 08:15 PM.
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 09:47 PM #19
> Dinorider37
Harness the Power

Dinorider37
Harness the Power

Primo Ron White wrote: View Post

Right!
Dinorider37 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 10:24 PM #20
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Genisys was fine for the most part. It just sort of stumbled the ending and name. Everything before they jump ahead in time was great. Sarah Connor Chronicles was great, too.
Agreed.

I think the key is balance. Fans seem to have had trouble with Salvation being overdramatic and Genisys being somewhat goofy (though that was my favorite part about it).
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote