Power Ranger

Theory is Greninja was protean. He was water type at the moment
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:33 PM #5942
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Allio wrote: View Post

considering mewtwo learned not all people are bad here in this film, we can assume the anime isn’t canon.
I did take into consideration, but since even the anime suffers from comic book time (sliding scale) I figured it may also suffer from another habit found in never-ending serailized fictions...characters flip flopping. Mewtwo may have had one bad day that changed his mind again. I don't know, I just got excited at the prospect that somewhere in this live-action world, there's a 30-odd Ash Ketchum running about
Old May 11th, 2019, 03:57 AM #5943
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Theory is Greninja was protean. He was water type at the moment
Oh yeah, Protean. Forgot you fully change when you use that and those Greninja were using Water Shurikens when Psyduck let loose. Good attention to detail I suppose.
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:41 AM #5944
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

So overall I really enjoyed it, and I feel that, when compared to the previous mainstream released Pokemon movies (which IIRC are the Mewtwo, Lugia, Entei and Celebi films), this is the best one in terms of quality. It's not outright amazing and more than likely the adults will figure out the big twist early on, but I feel for younger audiences it's a very effective and engaging mystery story. And above all else, this feels like a love-letter to all Pokefans out there with all the various references, Pokemon inclusions, and other misc stuff.
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:53 AM #5945
> kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

The low scores are probably going to the pacing. The second half of the movie is rushed and overly explained so as to get the plot going, a far cry from the first half's puzzle solving and character beats. I wonder if there were time constraints or those in control couldn't muster up longer material.

The characters were fun, the villain setup still good if it weren't so rushed in. People coming in expecting to be a Trainer battle movie or a thought provoker like the Lego Movie, but the story is fine and makes it easier on the CGI team, and audience, to give the non trainer perspective. I was bummed that the forest drivebys were devoid of life, at least a flying or a deer based Pokemon in the distance.

Last edited by kibapower; May 11th, 2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old May 11th, 2019, 09:58 AM #5946
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Actually one of my favorite scenes early on was just that passing by shot of the fields with the PIdgeot flying and the farm of Bouffelant. After the opening scene setting things up with Mewtwo, that really was what hit me that this was a Pokemon movie.
Old May 11th, 2019, 11:53 AM #5947
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Pokemon Creepypastas

Pokemon Sword and Shield (8th gen), Pokemon Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution, and a live action Pikachu - It’s amazing to believe how far we have came all this way. But recently I remembered something else that happened as a niche in the little pokemon fandom.

The rise of Pokemon Creepypastas.

I mean who couldn’t forget those little fun short stories - Black, Lost Silver, BRVR, Glitchy Red, and Buried Alive.

While the niche fell apart under it’s own cliches - haunted cartridges, Blood everywhere - as someone that loves corny horror it was just a great time to pass just reading. Recently I even redownloaded Pokemon Lost Silver (Hidden) onto my computer to replay.

But there was one theme that I loved about these creepypastas.

Abandonment.

I’ve always had a big hard on for stories about ai systems that would come to life, I love the idea that even a small machine could gain an emotion that closely resembled that to humans. And the idea of being abandoned, to be left all alone, is something I feel haunts many people.

So i decided to reread some of these corny stories from strange and interesting time in the Pokemon fandom. But then it reminded me of myself when I was playing pokemon Red, when I was 9.

Now I’m not going to say I had found some creepypasta story or anything (I won’t deny that I would have loved it if I did when I bought used copies of Pearl, Black and White 2 for my 3DS), it was just a regular Pokemon red version I got for Christmas, it was my first gameboy game.

No. What it reminded me was that, unlike the characters in those stories, I never “Abandoned” my pokemon.

When I played Pokemon red version I started with Charmander, which then became Charizard. Now as a nine year old I never got into the whole balance thing that was pokemon, so I only ever fought pokemon with my Charizard to a point literally if he fainted first I would just restart the gameboy.

My team never evolved beyond Charizard, the only thing I even added to my team for power was Auticuno (caught with Masterball) and I took those two to the elite four. I beat the game, and I added Mewtwo that I caught post game.

Now of course the game didn’t have anything else really to do after you caught mewtwo and the only trainers you could fight again was the Elite Four. So I did. with my team of three (And three random mons in the back) I fought the elite four again, and again, and again.

That was 20 years ago, but I remembered that I did the elite four 16 times. Because on that 16th time my heart was broken.

I don’t know what happened, but on that 16th time my game decided to erase my saved file. I don’t know why it happened. and just any kid that had his favorite toy broken i was sad. Of course since then i played the game but everytime I would play the game and beat the Elite Four the game file would just erase itself. I don’t know why it did that. it just did.

Until it didn’t. Just one time out of the blue after I can’t tell you how many playthroughs of me just beating the elite four, my save file actually was still there. I caught mewtwo and that was it, I didn’t want to risk losing my saved file.

Now of course since then I had started a new game on the system and continued on.

But now, as i have read the pokemon creepypastas I still wondered what happened. Clearly it had to been a glitch but I do wondered what caused it.

I still remember my Charizard to this day, can’t exactly say I loved any of my new playthrough pokemon the same as I loved him, as there was the strong possibility none of them would have stayed with me until the end.

I wonder how that 16th time was any different from anytime before.

I fought the eilte four (And rival) with Charizard each and everytime, he was the entire representative of my team.

If this was a creepypasta I would wonder if I pushed him so hard that he resented me. that he would have taken his own life because I never gave him the chance to rest.

I wonder if that was why he left…

unlike those stories I read…

I think to myself…

I didn’t abandoned my pokemon…My pokemon abandoned me.

So what are some of your experience with Pokemon creepypastas
Old May 11th, 2019, 12:12 PM #5948
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

A theatre in Montreal accidentally screened La Lloran for the kids instead of 'Tective Pikachu

https://twitter.com/theryangeorge/st...-la-llorona%2F
Old May 11th, 2019, 02:34 PM #5949
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

An R rated film instead of a PG one. Someone's getting fired for that.
Old May 11th, 2019, 03:26 PM #5950
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Speaking of spooky and Pokemon

Mr.creepypasta posted a video compiling his Pokémon stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFd0uBPY9-o
Old May 11th, 2019, 04:15 PM #5951
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

A theatre in Montreal accidentally screened La Lloran for the kids instead of 'Tective Pikachu

https://twitter.com/theryangeorge/st...-la-llorona%2F
Well like a month or two ago, during the Peppa Pig movie I guess one theater, or some theaters or something showed a preview for Brightburn before it on accident. Personally, find it hilarious but obviously get how it would be upsetting for parents and kids when the kids started crying. Still funny though.
Old May 11th, 2019, 05:17 PM #5952
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Saw the film. While It won't light the world on fire in terms of plot. I think this film is perfect entry for a live action Pokemon movie. It allowed for development into a world. While also not having them just fighting each other. Yet they showed that. It was fun ride and loved the pokemon in the film.
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:03 PM #5953
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the film. This is how Hollywood should do live-action adaptations of video games. The story was clever, funny and action-packed.

I kind of had a feeling from the start that Harry had been fused with Pikachu. Plus, it was nice seeing Ryan Reynolds as the real human form of Harry at the end. At the start of the movie I thought they were giving MewTwo a new origin story, but I was wrong because they had acknowledged that he had escaped from the Kanto region.
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:11 PM #5954
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

One thing that I thought was interesting:

Mewtwo didn't speak with just one voice, and the voices weren't monogender. It spoke with a male and a female voice which feels like a reference to the fact that legendary pokemon are sexless. It was a nice, interesting touch.
Old May 12th, 2019, 03:22 AM #5955
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Watched Detective Pikachu yesterday.

Movie was VERY good.

Things I don't like include some parts dragging a bit, Psyduck being a waste of precious runtime and some aspects of Mewtwo's role.

But other than that, it was quite fun and a lot better than the upcoming japanese movie which is just going to be a rehash of something we've seen 20 years ago.

===============================

Mallow's Shallow Filler

- Olivia is back. And she's being all waifu as usual;

- Seems like Mallow embrace that stupidity of calling Oranguru "sensei";

- Bewear is strange. He gets Jessie and James, but not just leaves Meowth but also pets him;

- So... Was that garden made by Oranguru or by humans?;

- I can only imagine how much money Mallow's dad is losing for letting Olivia "help" him;

- Wasn't expecting to see Heart Scales in the show;

- So... Is that the same Drampa from that filler about Mallow and Lana?;

- And Tapu Koko shows up just so the episode won't feel like a complete waste and filler;

- At least now we know how Tapu Koko eats;

- And Koko just hands a Z-crystal to Mallow. And that's grassium-Z. Weird... If they wanted to give her one, why just not make it in the same episode Ash got his?;

- And now Oranguru pays for Mallow's day of work with a Z-ring. Well, to be fair at least this power up felt a bit earned, unlike Lana's Brionne evolving;

- Now, for the obvious montage of all kids showing off their Z-rings.

Overall, boring episode. Mallow is somewhat a sympathic character but quite honestly... She can be so boring and uninteresting. The episode felt nothing really special and if it wasn't for Tapu Koko showing up and Mallow getting power ups, it'd be a filler. The only saving grace is that at least Mallow did something remotely reasonable to justify she earning power ups.

Other than that, the episode's forgetful. Come soon, Sword and Shield! Save us from that danmed generation!

Next time: TR is followed by Giovanni's secretary!

Is it hard for some to understand?
Some people are just obsessed with this whole "everything HAS to be connected". Guess the Marvel movies just make it worse.

Ataruman wrote: View Post

It was just a lot of fun and a great love letter to American Pokemon fans just as "I Choose You" probably was to Japanese fans.
ICY was a love letter to ALL fans of the anime and Ash's character.

the homages not just to Kanto but to all gens past and present
I love they weren't all just Kanto. Sure, most of the important roles/appearances were by Kanto Pokémon but I like they showed a bit of the others as well.

Two slight silly nitpicks though aside from that:
-While I don't mind the Kanto starters in the movie, there should have been better balance on the "other gen trios". Torterra and Greninja work due to their plot usage but there should have been some sort of "other Gen" fire starter somewhere instead of just Treecko; the Cyndaquill, Torchic or Litten lines all could have been used instead.
Yeah, same here. Blaziken would have worked great in the "fight club" bit.
Old May 12th, 2019, 05:41 AM #5956
> nintenfan3424
Making Strong Look Reigns

nintenfan3424
Making Strong Look Reigns

I saw the movie myself, while the plot was a bit too basic and the ending was a bit rushed, the twist at the end was actually well choreographed and the Pokemon felt real and were a part of the movie, 8/10

I loved that they put in a clue for a Ditto that can turn into anything, I was not expecting that and I loved that they put that clue right in front of us
Old May 12th, 2019, 07:22 AM #5957
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Spider-Phoenix wrote: View Post

Some people are just obsessed with this whole "everything HAS to be connected". Guess the Marvel movies just make it worse.
it's just crazy to me I suppose. I mean off the top of my head I count at least 11 different canon/universes including the live action stuff. Four variations of the videogames, three for Ash canon, and at least 3 different manga.

And that's only including stuff using Mainline games as a source, not the spin-off stuff.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 13th, 2019, 03:12 AM #5958
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4512&p=.htm

Record opening for a video game movie for "Detective Pikachu"...but the "Avengers: Endgame" train just couldn't be stopped.
Old May 13th, 2019, 08:04 AM #5959
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

Record opening for a video game movie for "Detective Pikachu"...but the "Avengers: Endgame" train just couldn't be stopped.
I mean...that's about as good as you can hope for it I think. A nice considerable chunk of change when you're against that hehe.

Saw the movie this past Saturday. Loved it.
Old May 13th, 2019, 11:28 AM #5960
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper

Eh, $5 mil is a negligible victory.
Closed

Tags
eternally 10, pokemon