Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Full movie (1:07)

YouTube, I love you.
Old May 8th, 2019, 05:31 PM #5922
> rocky505
Writer of PRLW

rocky505
Writer of PRLW

I just got a Shiny Zoroark while trying to get a Shiny Stakataka in Ultra Moon lol! It's my 3rd Shiny I've found on this file after Salandit(Who is a female and can evolve) and Flabebe.
Old May 9th, 2019, 12:21 AM #5923
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Light in the distance

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Light in the distance

Pokémon is almost science!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/18...in-information

A study has shown that Millennials treat Pocket Monsters differently than other animals on the base level of the brain. Which we should, since they have magic powers and everything...
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 9th, 2019, 10:05 AM #5924
> tremor3258
Power Ranger

tremor3258
Power Ranger

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

Pokémon is almost science!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/18...in-information

A study has shown that Millennials treat Pocket Monsters differently than other animals on the base level of the brain. Which we should, since they have magic powers and everything...
My favorite version of that article is the point relaying the mental consciousness stream of 'we want to see if a new visual set classified as a group will cause neuron clustering, but it would take lots and lots of lab time for any results to be apparent with testers.... wait, Pokemon!'
Old May 9th, 2019, 04:57 PM #5925
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

To get myself hyped for Detective Pikachu I redownloaded Pokemon lost silver for some nostalgia.
Old May 9th, 2019, 07:38 PM #5926
> ⚡TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay
TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay

Saw Detective Pikachu today, at the same theater I saw the first two pokemon movies 20 years ago.
Time is weird....
But none the less
Overall, it was a really enjoyable movie. You could just spend hours looking for every little time reference that's on the screen at a time.
Kamen Rider Drive actor's cameo is not even 10 seconds long, but it was cool seeing him on the big screen.
Honestly, my only big complaint about the movie would be I can't picture this city actually being in the Pokemon world. Too many of the ideas kinda conflict with the norm of the Pokemon world.
Other then that though, it was shockingly good.
Old May 9th, 2019, 07:51 PM #5927
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

This movie was a glaring example of when you're making a movie about an established IP literally nobody is asking you to reinvent the wheel. If designs and themes are what launched it and has made it million then that is what is going to bring you success here. PR 2017, Sonic, & Others should take note.
Old May 9th, 2019, 09:33 PM #5928
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

We're witnessing history being made people: a mainstream Hollywood movie, that's a video game adaptation, that's ACTUALLY good and not ironically good!

I will say that the reviews were right in that the plot is kind of basic and predictable for the media-weary viewer...that honestly doesn't matter that much. Movie's just filled to the brim with fun and charm that you just don't care.

-Yeah, the art direction chosen for the Pokemon themselves works...surprisingly well in action. You would think that mashing together game/anime-accurate designs with photorealistic textures would be a recipe for a disaster, yet it isn't. It all works really well.

I'm starting to think that Legendary employs actual wizards at their studios.

-I'm surprised I didn't take note of this right from the trailers but the other thing that this movie is for the 2/3rds:

Kid-friendly neo-noir film.

While obviously not in black and white, it does include the high-contrast lighting (here the bright neon signs of Ryme City), the more literal contrast of the clean and shiny daylight version of the city versus the dark, grimy, and sleazy night city, familiar archetypes like a cynical protagonist, detectives (of course), and with morally grey story elements, primarily "ends justifies the means". Nice to have one of these kind of movies, we don't get them too often...

...goddamn has it really been over 30 years since Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

-It's kind of amusing to have Ryoma Takeuchi in this movie...because the movie DOES repeat an issue with Kamen Rider Drive...but even then it feels like a nitpick:

The mystery element not being quite as good...due to our heroes getting TOLD about the twists and revelations instead of finding it out themselves.

Any good mystery story is about the characters unveiling and piecing together the mystery's answers themselves, and the audience being along for the ride with them. I will say it's not as egregious as Drive: there are a lot more instances where the characters deduce the next twist themselves and how they get to that point does make sense. But it is still there, and it is disappointing to have.

-Now a question I'm sure some have been having: "is this movie canon to the games or the anime in any way?"

Well...

Yes...sort of. When talking about Mewtwo, it's revealed that it "escaped from the Kanto region 20 years ago". Now, if we assume the usual that the movie takes place in the year it was released, than it would mean the movie takes place in 2019. 20 years ago would be 1999...which was indeed the year that Mewtwo Strikes Back's English dub was released in North America. Conversely, the year before in 1998 was when Red/Blue made their NA debut. Sadly, I didn't stick around for the credits to see what Takeuchi is credited as (although IMDB lists him as "male Pokemon trainer"...but since IMDB, no idea how reliable it is). So I can't confirm or deny if he is/isn't an adult Red or Ash.

At the very least, it confirms that SOME version of the story depicted in the games and/or anime have happened in Detective Pikachu's universe.

-Couple of cute references that I noticed:

-Time's phone has a distinct phone cover that has a black middle but the top end is red and the bottom is blue...while it COULD be a Red/Blue reference, to me it looked more like an inverted Switch.

-Lucy's cap, hoodie, yoga pants, and sneakers outfit of course resembling the default femTrainer outfit from Pokemon Go.

-Presumably, Lucy having a Psyduck and being the main female side characters was PROBABLY trying to draw a connection to Misty.

-I believe one of the designs on Tim's shirt was the "O" Unown.

-Spoiler random stuff

-The twists for the movie...are not hard to figure out for any narrative-savvy geek. As soon as they revealed the master plan on integrating human souls into Pokemon I was like "Oh...that's what happened to Tim's dad".

-That said, I was super stoked for the reveal that Harry Goodman is in fact Ryan Reynolds.

-I WAS NOT EXPECTING KAIJU TORTERRA TO BE A THING GODDAMN.

I've said this before about Legendary regarding their kaiju movies but: I always got a sense these guys are fucking nerds and it shows. That they love geeky shit as much as we do, and that while there is money to be made, I always get the sense there is a love and passion at play of them wanting to make genuinely entertaining movies that they'd enjoy as fans. It doesn't always work (hai Warcraft 2016, Pacific Rim: Uprising), but when it works like with Detective Pikachu, it does WONDERS.

Go see, it's great.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 9th, 2019, 09:55 PM #5929
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Light in the distance

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Light in the distance

TeraMan wrote: View Post

...goddamn has it really been over 30 years since Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
::looks at the special effects::

Definitely.
Old May 9th, 2019, 09:57 PM #5930
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

Random question to people who caught the movie. How inconsistent are they with the Pokemon sizes? By that I mean, like how many are depicted with game accurate size and others with inaccurate sizes?
Old May 9th, 2019, 10:42 PM #5931
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Lol, you cannot take games as an accurate size for most pokemon. If you did, some pokemon like Joltik would be impossible to see and throwing a pokeball at it would probably kill it. The Roselia line is tiny. Pidgey can learn to carry people, yet is smaller than a teenagers shin.

Then there's random oddities like Ledian is super large compared to most pokemon. >_>

Don't even get me started on Wailord.

https://i.redd.it/ju6tzl1k71n11.jpg

Here's a chart showing human size vs pokemon up to gen 5.

---

I assume they just made up their own sizes that made the most sense for the movie, and not relied on the game pokedex.

---

EDIT:

DeNA announced they are partnering with the Pokemon Company to release a new Pokemon Mobile App/Game sometime before March 2020.

They are known for making Super Mario Run, Fire Emblem Heroes, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, and the upcoming Mario Kart Tour.

Last edited by AkaUnlovedFyntabulous; May 10th, 2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 05:31 AM #5932
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

DeNA announced they are partnering with the Pokemon Company to release a new Pokemon Mobile App/Game sometime before March 2020.
I hope it has a focus on battling instead of collecting Pokemon. Training and evolving is, like, the main reason I play the games, so Go was a total snoozefest for me.
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:14 AM #5933
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Saw Detective Pikachu. Loved it. Have a few questions though

Does that mean the anime takes place 20 years in the past?

If the humans and Pokemon were merged, how come none of them were speaking perfect english like Mewtwo and Pikachu/Harry were?

Last edited by Cameron Samurai; May 10th, 2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:39 AM #5934
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Humans turned into Pokemon? That sounds like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. Which means any long term fan should've been able to predict the twist.
Old May 10th, 2019, 12:29 PM #5935
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Yeah, the "R" gas causes Pokemon to get aggressive, which can trigger their ability to merge with human beings after some psychic attack from Mewtwo, which Bill Nigh had taken direct control of with his mind.

Also, I don't think they even explained how Tim could understand Harry....did I miss something? There was some rapid fire dialogue in some of the explanation scenes with Bill Nigh's character after he took control of Mewtwo, but mostly about how Harry double-crossed him

Also, I wonder if this will have a sequel?

Mewtwo unshackled Pikachu and Harry from one another, so the ending was pretty much case closed (but still open until they solve it!)
Old May 10th, 2019, 04:10 PM #5936
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

lso, I don't think they even explained how Tim could understand Harry....did I miss something? There was some rapid fire dialogue in some of the explanation scenes with Bill Nigh's character after he took control of Mewtwo, but mostly about how Harry double-crossed him

I thought it had something to do with Tim breathing in the R gas before Pikachu showed up. That, and MewTwo probably needed Tim to understand Pikachu so he would follow him. And Im really disappointed the R wasn't for Rocket.

And the best part of the movie: Pikachu singing the original English theme song.
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:09 PM #5937
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

Saw Detective Pikachu. Loved it. Have a few questions though

Does that mean the anime takes place 20 years in the past?

If the humans and Pokemon were merged, how come none of them were speaking perfect english like Mewtwo and Pikachu/Harry were?
considering mewtwo learned not all people are bad here in this film, we can assume the anime isn’t canon.

I have seen others talking about stuff like “adventures isn’t canon to the games”

Like no shit, everything is it’s own canon.

You have the

-games
-anime
-M.20/21
-manga (and the subsequent other au canon)
-live action films

Is it hard for some to understand?

Last edited by Allio; May 10th, 2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:28 PM #5938
> Gunpla Rider
VIP Rider

Gunpla Rider
VIP Rider

Watched the movie today One thing I found funny

When Tim first enters his fathers apartment. Angels with Filthy Souls from home alone is playing
Old May 10th, 2019, 08:21 PM #5939
> KRDK
Nobody's Perfect

KRDK
Nobody's Perfect

If I were to guess based on clues, this takes place within the game canon.
Look at when Mewtwo was hovering over Harry. He thought all humans were evil until Harry and Pikachu saved it. That was also a subtle nod to the First Movie when Ash sacrificed himself to put an end to all the fighting and made Mewtwo realize that not all humans were evil. Also, that "R" gas is the Berserker Gene that you can find in Gen 2 near Cerulean Cave.

The opening sequence when we meet Tim was right out of episode 1.

Who could forget Pikachu battling Mewtwo on the back of a Pidgeotto.
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:51 PM #5940
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Just got back from my Detective Pikachu watch:

Despite a couple ridiculous elements near the end (the utter ludicrous elements of the final plot and the obvious plot twist), the movie was a blast. It was just a lot of fun and a great love letter to American Pokemon fans just as "I Choose You" probably was to Japanese fans. Somehow Reynolds was trying his hardest to do a PG Deadpool with Pikachu and it worked well and I liked most of the human actors in this and the homages not just to Kanto but to all gens past and present (did they show Galar in that Ryme City scene prior to Shinnosuke?

Two slight silly nitpicks though aside from that:
-While I don't mind the Kanto starters in the movie, there should have been better balance on the "other gen trios". Torterra and Greninja work due to their plot usage but there should have been some sort of "other Gen" fire starter somewhere instead of just Treecko; the Cyndaquill, Torchic or Litten lines all could have been used instead.

-While I get Psyduck is treated as a "headache nuke" like Misty's from the show, Greninja is part-Dark so it should have been immune...eh, it feels like the "Aim for the Horn!" moment of the movie I suppose.
Closed

Tags
eternally 10, pokemon