Home Menu

Menu

Closed

Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:01 AM #5901
> Ryoutarou
Dot

Ryoutarou
Dot

Had a chance to see it today, it was such a good movie. It's definitely not complex or anything, but it's very well made in nearly every aspect.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:29 AM #5902
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:17 AM #5903
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Can't wait to see this with my dad next Saturday evening.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:31 AM #5904
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

So unless I misunderstood something, our Shinnosuke makes a cameo as

Red
Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:36 AM #5905
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Light in the distance

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Light in the distance

Allio wrote: View Post

So unless I misunderstood something, our Shinnosuke makes a cameo as

Red
Oh. My. God.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:44 AM #5906
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

here is the trailer with our drive

Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:59 AM #5907
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

You know I was just thinking earlier today "what if Ryoma's cameo was as a stadium trainer?" but I thought an appearance like that would be too major(in terms of filming) for a late announced cameo. Glad I'm wrong.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:32 AM #5908
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

But I thought it was Gary/Green that was supposed to have a hot car! Not Red!
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:47 PM #5909
> precita
Power Ranger

precita
Power Ranger

Seeing Japanese Detective Pikachu trailers, I'm confused, they don't redub all the english lines with Japanese actors? It had the same english voices with Japanese subtitles on the bottom, so there's no "Japanese dub" for live action American movies?

I kinda assumed they would replace Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu with some Japanese actor instead, and some of the jokes would probably be altered to fit in with Japanese culture better, but instead it's the same english version. So japanese are seeing an American produced pokemon movie, and they just get subtitles? Doesn't that wrongly assume everyone in Japan, including little kids in Japan who will see the movie, all understand english? Subtitles are hard to read in a theater setting.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:49 PM #5910
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

precita wrote: View Post

Seeing Japanese Detective Pikachu trailers, I'm confused, they don't redub all the english lines with Japanese actors? It had the same english voices with Japanese subtitles on the bottom, so there's no "Japanese dub" for live action American movies?

I kinda assumed they would replace Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu with some Japanese actor instead, and some of the jokes would probably be altered to fit in with Japanese culture better, but instead it's the same english version. So japanese are seeing an American produced pokemon movie, and they just get subtitles? Doesn't that wrongly assume everyone in Japan, including little kids in Japan who will see the movie, all understand english? Subtitles are hard to read in a theater setting.

There is a dub; Ryoma is voicing Tim in the Japanese dub.

In Japan, you have two versions of the movie that are aired; 3 if you count 3D.
The dubbed version is most commonly aired, then less common is the subbed version.

It doesn't usually make sense to dub the commercials; it's tradition/easier to just have a Japanese narrator do color commentary over the existing ones.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:51 PM #5911
> precita
Power Ranger

precita
Power Ranger

I had assumed that, since of course all the Pokemon names are different in Japan. Japanese don't know what a, "Mr. Mime" is, they call it, "Barrierd" and so on and so forth. So they wouldn't be used to seeing Pokemon called different names than they've been using for 22 years. Who voices Pikachu?
Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:53 PM #5912
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

precita wrote: View Post

I had assumed that, since of course all the Pokemon names are different in Japan. Japanese don't know what a, "Mr. Mime" is, they call it, "Barrierd" and so on and so forth. So they wouldn't be used to seeing Pokemon called different names than they've been using for 22 years. Who voices Pikachu?
Correct. Though in some cases, American names are used in property films.
For example, Optimus Prime is Optimus Prime in the Bay Transformers movies, not Convoy. Alita is Alita, etc.

Nishijima Hidetoshi is voicing Pikachu in the Japanese dub.
Old May 4th, 2019, 12:27 AM #5913
> Ryoutarou
Dot

Ryoutarou
Dot

The only weird part as far as Eng > Jpn translations go is that there's a bit where Pikachu is crying/singing the original Pokemon theme song and it's translated directly. No one in the theater really understood that bit.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 5th, 2019, 03:19 AM #5914
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Brionne after zero on-screen relevance since the first evo!

- Now, you get the most amazing, most interesting beggining of all... Everyone fishing!;

- Of course, the above uses sarcasm;

- What's happening with Kiawe? He's basically going all Kanto James today with the whole "pokémon chomping his head" gag;

- There it is, a Kyogre;

- Guess Lana also has one of those lures...;

- Ash remembers what a Pokémon Hunter is. Considering his anger face, my nerdyness tells me he is reminding of Hunter J, aka one of the best antagonists the show's ever had;

- Ash threw all his party. Now things are getting interesting;

- I like they are making things in a way that shows Ash is aware of Palpitoad's typing. Which is more than correct since he has one after all;

- So, Lana put all this effort just she should could say Kyogre bite her lure?;

- And as soon as their role ended, the pokémon hunters blast off;

- Brionne evolves!;

- Most unearned main cast starter evolution ever;

- Still don't get why Lana had to fish Kyogre to calm it down;

- But at least, the plot's main issue is solved;

- No TR, bonus points.

Overall, passable episode. Guess they wanted to make a story about fisherman stories or something but quite honestly, aside from the battle scenes - which continued the SM trend of subpar battles - not really interesting happened. Brionne's evolution felt completly rushed and unearned. There was not a sense of accomplishment or anything. Even Goodra - who had a rushed evolution - at least gave some form of feeling. The only issue it had was with the way it was paced. Primarina's felt like the staff figured out the series is nearly the end and they had to make Lana a strong contender for the league.

Things like that makes me really worried how much of a disaster the Alola League will end up being...

Next time: Mallow focus that sounds like a filler despite having Tapu Koko's return.

But ignore that, Olivia is back!

Ryoutarou wrote: View Post

The only weird part as far as Eng > Jpn translations go is that there's a bit where Pikachu is crying/singing the original Pokemon theme song and it's translated directly. No one in the theater really understood that bit.
Weird they just didn't try to squeeze a version of Mezase Pokémon Master

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Such is what happens when you're the most popular final form in Alola yet the anime decides to keep you in a mascot-like first form for 5/6ths of the running time.

Have any middle starters been treated well? Probably the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are Grovyle, Frogadier and Braixen.
Braixen is the biggest oddity in this franchise. It's the first time a second stage is more popular than the first and final forms.

Unless you want to cheat and count Pikachu lol
Old May 5th, 2019, 03:55 AM #5915
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Spider-Phoenix wrote: View Post

Weird they just didn't try to squeeze a version of Mezase Pokémon Master
I agree. If Pokemon Theme is in the film, it should've been swapped for it's Japanese counterpart in the Japanese dub, not translated.

Ataruman wrote: View Post

But I thought it was Gary/Green that was supposed to have a hot car! Not Red!
Don't forget that Red was a 10 year old kid originally. Detective Pikachu must be set over a decade after the events of the Red and Blue games. It makes sense that he'd have learned to drive by now.

Last edited by Digifiend; May 5th, 2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old May 5th, 2019, 04:39 AM #5916
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Braixen is the biggest oddity in this franchise. It's the first time a second stage is more popular than the first and final forms.

Unless you want to cheat and count Pikachu lol
[/QUOTE]

I always thought Grovyle was popular too. (if I were to make a trio of starters based on middles, probably would end up being Grovyle, Braixen and Frogadier)

But yeah, Braixen...the sad thing is ignoring why people hate it and the stats, I like Delphox's concept as a fox witch and it's design.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 5th, 2019, 06:55 AM #5917
> blurredlights
Completely Undone

blurredlights
Completely Undone

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Don't forget that Red was a 10 year old kid originally. Detective Pikachu must be set over a decade after the events of the Red and Blue games. It makes sense that he'd have learned to drive by now.
A character in the film makes specific note that a certain event in the Kanto region happened twenty years ago. Which could mean that Detective Pikachu happens anytime from 5 to 20 years after the events of Red/Blue/Green.

Which brings me to sharing: a friend invited me to an advance screening--and I thought the film was FANtastic. I plan on watching it a few more times just to "spot 'em all." They rendered so many pokemons into live-action form! And they're all so totally awesome.

Also, said friend wasn't a pokemon fan at all--and he also enjoyed the film. So I guess that's also awesome.
Old May 8th, 2019, 01:50 AM #5918
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Full movie (1:07)

Old May 8th, 2019, 08:45 AM #5919
> LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer

LazerwolfX
Fight of Hammer

I wonder if there’s any possibility of any Galar Region Pokémon making their debut in Detective Pikachu or the CG film like what they did with Donphan in the first movie. That would be an amazing throwback.

Last edited by LazerwolfX; May 8th, 2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:45 AM #5920
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

I could see one replacing Donphan in the same scene considering this year's anime film is a CG remake of the first one.
Closed

Tags
eternally 10, pokemon