Home Menu

Menu


Closed
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:44 AM #5801
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,137
AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,137



cognito29 wrote: View Post

Well, that's also it's strength - it's all those episodes which build the Pokemon world.
Agreed. Filler is what MAKES the anime.

How else would we get a story centered on every Pokémon ever except Porygon?
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now    
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:44 AM #5802
Ataruman's Avatar
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,504
Ataruman
Adorable and Epic
Ataruman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,504



There's nothing wrong with "filler" when it's done right or does something to advance the plot in some manner.

The only real "wasteful filler" are ones where it's just a random Pokémon and/or CotD there to beat up Team Rocket as Ash goes in and out of their lives.
Ataruman is online now    
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 28th, 2019, 02:51 PM #5803
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,880
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,880



Ataruman wrote: View Post

As stupid as the "Pikachu lost to a Snivy" bit was, at least Pikachu had a good chunk of it's juice zapped out by Zekrom. It doesn't excuse the fact that battle experience lost to a newbie but it does cover up some of the problems.
I mean, that same Snivy lost as a Servine to Ash's Snivy. (though it lost to it in the rematch)

So it was clearly meant to show that Trip's Snivy was not as strong as it was initially portrayed.

I was more surprised Ash's Snivy never evolved, considering Cilan stated that it was a "high level" when he caught it.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline    
Old March 28th, 2019, 02:56 PM #5804
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,137
AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Deneb Candy Striper
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,137



AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

I was more surprised Ash's Snivy never evolved, considering Cilan stated that it was a "high level" when he caught it.
His Squirtle had to be at like Level 6428 and it never evolved.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now    
Old March 28th, 2019, 02:57 PM #5805
Ataruman's Avatar
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,504
Ataruman
Adorable and Epic
Ataruman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,504



Really the only Pokemon that got good excuses to never evolving were Ash's Bulbasaur and Dawn's Piplup. (not counting Pikachu cause mascot...though the "Electric Shock Showdown" scene was still epic) Everything else is just...sort of wondering how much is marketing.
Ataruman is online now    
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 28th, 2019, 02:58 PM #5806
TheLastBlade's Avatar
> TheLastBlade
Power Ranger
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,055
TheLastBlade
Power Ranger
TheLastBlade's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,055



cognito29 wrote: View Post

Well, that's also it's strength - it's all those episodes which build the Pokemon world.
Sure, but there also a lot of time is where filler was just plain weak and didn’t do much at all. Plus, Pokémon makes it a habit to recycle episode scripts when the ran out of ideas.
TheLastBlade is offline    
Old March 28th, 2019, 03:55 PM #5807
cognito29's Avatar
> cognito29
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 360
cognito29
Power Ranger
cognito29's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 360



Well yes - the key to a good episode is good writing. That's orthogonal as to how much it ties into the "main plot" - in fact tying weaker episodes int the plot can just drag it down.
cognito29 is offline    
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 29th, 2019, 06:39 AM #5808
tremor3258's Avatar
> tremor3258
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 337
tremor3258
Power Ranger
tremor3258's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 337



Pokemon definitely goes for the slow boil for their plot, but if you were doing a direct plot of the game it'd be what - sixteen towns in an entire region? I'd rather have our wandering heroes meet and help some person of the day, maybe learn a moral, then three episodes of Chimchar charging up a focus punch, personally.

Establishing the format also makes it hard for viewers try and skip if you add in things like evolution happening in the tail end, or a usual morning suddenly get interrupted with something that becomes important.
tremor3258 is online now    
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 29th, 2019, 08:24 AM #5809
Cuchulainn's Avatar
> Cuchulainn
century color
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,321
Cuchulainn
century color
Cuchulainn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 1,321



I just think it's strange how the Sun/Moon anime has gone for a slice-of-life angle instead of adapting the game's story more faithfully, especially since it actually gets pretty heavy towards the end with...

Lusamine getting on some Urobuchi-level shit with the Nihilego bonding to her.


Maybe it's because the audience that watches the anime aren't the same fans who play the games and tend to skew younger. Granted, I haven't watched all of it, and people seem to like it anyway since it's fun and well-animated. But I can't say I wouldn't like the show's high-quality animation to go towards something more meaningful, story-wise.

I guess what I'm saying is I want another season of Pokemon Generations.
Cuchulainn is offline    
Old March 29th, 2019, 02:29 PM #5810
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,880
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,880



I completely lost interest in the Sun and Moon anime after like 20 episodes.

The way they took the story just was boring.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline    
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 29th, 2019, 02:56 PM #5811
cognito29's Avatar
> cognito29
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 360
cognito29
Power Ranger
cognito29's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 360



But apparently it's popular in Japan, whereas XY wasn't as much.
cognito29 is offline    
Old March 29th, 2019, 06:09 PM #5812
precita's Avatar
> precita
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 883
precita
Power Ranger
precita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 883



AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

I completely lost interest in the Sun and Moon anime after like 20 episodes.

The way they took the story just was boring.
The first year of SM was really rough with only a few standout eps like the one Stoutland died or fun eps like the baseball filler, but the saga got much better by mid-2018 to now. Probably because the writers were still getting used to the new style/tone in the first year, but a lot of the more recent episodes over the past 6-8 months have been pretty good. The saga's battles are still mediocre and a lot don't care for Ash's design/personality this saga, but if you don't care about that the eps have gotten better. Of course it also is what it is, it's mostly a slice of life saga and if you view it as Ash on vacation (which it essentially is, it's how the saga started), it feels like a fun standalone series.

Of course I kinda expect Gen 8 to turn the anime back into what it was before, so it doesn't really matter. It is what it is, I always say.
precita is offline    
Old March 30th, 2019, 05:32 AM #5813
Power PC!'s Avatar
> Power PC!
Dames call it Dino Power
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 803
Power PC!
Dames call it Dino Power
Power PC!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 803



Honestly, S/M is the most I've enjoyed the anime in years. It felt like the show had basically been running on autopilot since, like, D/P. I feel S/M has injected some much-needed new life into not only the anime in general, but Ash himself. Plus, the show can actually be WACKY again, something it really hasn't been since, heck, the original series.

S/M has been a breath of fresh air.
Power PC! is offline    
Old March 30th, 2019, 03:17 PM #5814
Digifiend's Avatar
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,890
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop
Digifiend's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 16,890



Has it been that successful though? They had a couple of episodes in the first year where they all went on a field trip to Cerulean City, and then recently, Brock and Misty, who showed up in those episodes, visited Aloha (those episodes are due to air in the US next month). What's with the nostalgia?
Digifiend is online now    
Old March 30th, 2019, 09:08 PM #5815
precita's Avatar
> precita
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 883
precita
Power Ranger
precita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 883



Considering the Mewtwo CG movie looks like a disaster and something no one asked for, I don't know. I would have prefered they just make one movie for the SM anime cast before we move on but it's too late now.
precita is offline    
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 31st, 2019, 12:54 AM #5816
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,768
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,768



precita wrote: View Post

Considering the Mewtwo CG movie looks like a disaster and something no one asked for, I don't know. I would have prefered they just make one movie for the SM anime cast before we move on but it's too late now.
Looks like a disaster? I've seen the trailer of the Mewtwo CG film and I disagree with you on that but point taken and I respect your opinion.
AdrenalineRush is offline    
Old March 31st, 2019, 01:10 AM #5817
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 34,065
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 34,065



Digifiend wrote: View Post

Has it been that successful though? They had a couple of episodes in the first year where they all went on a field trip to Cerulean City, and then recently, Brock and Misty, who showed up in those episodes, visited Aloha (those episodes are due to air in the US next month). What's with the nostalgia?
At least the nostalgia acts seem to be advancing the story of the characters involved and to show Ash hasn't lost touch with the people he knew in his home region. They've given us more adequate closure on Misty too, she's now very accepting of her Gym leadership, her sisters are even back now and she has no reason to stay, but chooses to anyway in order to build the gym into one of the best ever, it's perfect synergy with Ash's need to be the best Pokemon master.
Cameron Samurai is online now    
Old March 31st, 2019, 03:28 AM #5818
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,312
Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,312



Guzma #NotMyBoy

- Ash finally uses Steelium-Z. And it's completly boring, unimpressive and poorly animated;

- Kukui just flat out announce the league. No speech. He is very direct. I like it. Every announcement should be like that;

- I love that Ash greets Hapu and she just returns. Goes to show how much their relationship improved after that rocky start;

- Nanu is smiling. I call it OCC;

- So... Is the anime changing where the League will take place?;

- Kukui almost let the Royal Mask maneirisms slide while on "professor" mode;

- There, Kiawe almost used Takaharu's catchphrase again;

- Hey, finally Guzma shows up;

- And that's the role the OP singer played as a Skull Grunt hyping Guzma;

- Team Rocket rapping is so bad, it's the first time their motto takes a smile out of my face;

- So the three stooges really want to face Guzma? They really don't know what they are doing. The jokes can take a threat that's nearly Giovanni-level;

- And Ash isn't taking any of Guzma's trash and just faces the big bad directly;

- Guzma is up against the guy who's saved at least 4-5 regions and has beaten legendaries;

- And that's First impression. My first impression is that it wasn't that good;

- ... Of course none of this matters when the show wants to hype up something;

- C'mon, Golisopod's are meant to be OP;

- So... Pikachu's attack activated Emergency Exit and made Guzma call out the match. Darn, that was lackluster. Specially because the ability is meant to not work on one-on-one battles;

- Kukui isn't taking any of Guzma's nonsense;

- And now that's over.

Overall, solid episode. A good introduction to Guzma, though I sort of want they do it like the games and he gets pissed off after the player beats him. But I guess the anime just prefers buffing important characters and legendaries/mythicals...

The battle of Ash against Guzma was decent, recalling some of previous series battles although I sort of missed Ash using his creativity in the matches.

Next time: They Magearna is a gen VII pokémon! And Lillie gets some real Z-power!


EDIT: God, I just read that

it's been stabilished that anyone can enter the Alola League. Man, that makes Ash's Grand Trials feel almost pointless.

To make matters worse, if he wins this time, it'll be feel completly hollow and empty since it almost feels like a competion like the Tag Tournament from DP or the Don George tournaments from BW


cognito29 wrote: View Post

Well, that's also it's strength - it's all those episodes which build the Pokemon world.
I agree. The problem are mostly the episodes that depends on the TR formula. But the fillers that do something else tend to be entertaining.

Ataruman wrote: View Post

Really the only Pokemon that got good excuses to never evolving were Ash's Bulbasaur and Dawn's Piplup. (not counting Pikachu cause mascot...though the "Electric Shock Showdown" scene was still epic) Everything else is just...sort of wondering how much is marketing.
Rowlett as well since it's using an Everstone.

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

I just think it's strange how the Sun/Moon anime has gone for a slice-of-life angle instead of adapting the game's story more faithfully, especially since it actually gets pretty heavy towards the end with...

Lusamine getting on some Urobuchi-level shit with the Nihilego bonding to her.


Maybe it's because the audience that watches the anime aren't the same fans who play the games and tend to skew younger. Granted, I haven't watched all of it, and people seem to like it anyway since it's fun and well-animated. But I can't say I wouldn't like the show's high-quality animation to go towards something more meaningful, story-wise.

I guess what I'm saying is I want another season of Pokemon Generations.
The reason for the change is very simple and it has a name:

Yokai Watch.

The series was so sucessful that even knocked the franchise out of some key marketing things like McDonald's promotions.

As for the right now, the anime is pretty much using a variation of what Yokai Watch did in the first series.

And after YW tried an experiment with Shadow Side it seems like the slice of life with comedy (shall I call it slice of humor?) is the new way to go for children shows.

SM is the anime tried to adaptate to it.

cognito29 wrote: View Post

But apparently it's popular in Japan, whereas XY wasn't as much.
Not quite. Someone on Serebii who lives in Japan and tends to provide information did mention that XY was better recieved in Japan than SM.

Remember: the japanese might have some different tastes but at the end of the day, they are still fans. Thus they have similar reactions to everyone else in the world.

What I'm saying is: don't rule out people there hating Ash's design change or the shift to comedy.

precita wrote: View Post

The first year of SM was really rough with only a few standout eps like the one Stoutland died or fun eps like the baseball filler, but the saga got much better by mid-2018 to now. Probably because the writers were still getting used to the new style/tone in the first year, but a lot of the more recent episodes over the past 6-8 months have been pretty good. The saga's battles are still mediocre and a lot don't care for Ash's design/personality this saga, but if you don't care about that the eps have gotten better. Of course it also is what it is, it's mostly a slice of life saga and if you view it as Ash on vacation (which it essentially is, it's how the saga started), it feels like a fun standalone series.

Of course I kinda expect Gen 8 to turn the anime back into what it was before, so it doesn't really matter. It is what it is, I always say.
Same here. Aside from a few hiccups, the post-timeslot change period was an improvement over what we had before.

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Has it been that successful though?
We'll only find out after the Sword and Shield anime is revealed. The poster might give us an idea.

Digifiend wrote: View Post

They had a couple of episodes in the first year where they all went on a field trip to Cerulean City, and then recently, Brock and Misty, who showed up in those episodes, visited Aloha (those episodes are due to air in the US next month). What's with the nostalgia?
Well, when the Yokai Watch craze was on its peak, I remember Dogasu mentioning in his site that the Pokémon's weapon against it was using nostalgia.

But for the particular example you mentioned the first cameo was because of the 20th anime anniversary AND the release of the Gen I games on Virtual Console. Those tie well with the nostalgia strategy.

The second is most likely because of LGPE

Last edited by Spider-Phoenix; March 31st, 2019 at 11:02 AM.
Spider-Phoenix is offline    
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 31st, 2019, 05:54 PM #5819
Adara.2's Avatar
> Adara.2
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,899
Adara.2
Power Ranger
Adara.2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,899




It's videos like this that make me wonder why Silver wanted to steal a Shuckle in the first place.
Adara.2 is offline    
Old March 31st, 2019, 06:28 PM #5820
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,880
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,880



Just a reminder, do not fall for leaks, posts, etc. for the next ~48 hours or so.

April Fools is a massive time of year for fake leaks in Pokemon Season. Unless it comes from an official Pokemon channel take everything with a grain of salt.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline    
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Closed

Tags
eternally 10, pokemon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.