Home Menu

Menu

Old December 21st, 2015, 05:42 PM #61
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

The productions for Bioman is a complete mess, but it has a lot of endearing and interesting concepts. The heroes are rather vanilla (though at least one does get some important stuff in the endgame), but the villains are great even if the loss of the MotW (regular MotW, not talking about the Mecha-Gigan) was tough to endure with the Beastnoids being fought episode after episode. (though it was still great to have Zyuoh)
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 05:43 PM #62
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

I like Bioman's experimental setup, although it might not be something worth repeating, considering how the usual monster formula is used to sell toys. Bioman's really strong with some of its themes and history, which emerge significantly during the endgame.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 05:46 PM #63
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil

Without Haim Saban seeing Bioman while on a Business Trip to Japan, there would be no Power Rangers, so there is that.
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 05:48 PM #64
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

The 2nd Evil wrote: View Post

Without Haim Saban seeing Bioman while on a Business Trip to Japan, there would be no Power Rangers, so there is that.
And that's why good ol' Jonny T put Bioman in... nope, he couldn't even get that right.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 05:57 PM #65
> ⚡Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay
Taichi
Takatora...

32 eBay

No, he couldn't...

timegold wrote: View Post

I see Gingaman and Lost Galaxy as sort of complementary in their aspects, although it's not necessarily best to watch them together. They have some of the same base plots (up until halfway through three-quarters of the way through), but Gingaman paces and fleshes them out more effectively. Lost Galaxy, on the other hand, had a benefit of a big budget which made for some spectacular action scenes when they weren't being cheap with the footage.
Oh definitely... I was just coming from the point of one particular episode, the pacing felt so much better in Gingaman. But you're completely right, after Mike is released from Magna Defender, Lost Galaxy took a hard left and turned into the series I love. It's the beginning where it was struggling a bit.

But yeah, I compliment LG for going way outside the box on a grounded series like Gingaman. They compliment each other yet are so different... and that's what I love about Power Rangers. I love the creative aspect, and it's so much more apparent when the series differ substantially. Kinda like how Dino Charge and Kyoryuger are versus the closeness of Time Force and Wild Force... albeit, TF was excellent while I thought WF fell flat.

I think I'll finish Gingaman and then rewatch Lost Galaxy instead of making that mistake again... lol!
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 06:11 PM #66
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Taichi wrote: View Post

Kinda like how Dino Charge and Kyoryuger are versus the closeness of Time Force and Wild Force... albeit, TF was excellent while I thought WF fell flat.
Wild Force and Gao were a lot different than Wild Force is given credit for, and frankly, most of the changes were for the better. Especially with Silver, who in Gao joined the team pretty much immediately , but in Wild Force, they adapted a number of episodes from the first arc of the show to reinforce that Merrick wasn't ready to join the team.

To say nothing about the fact the Shayla/Merrick relationship was wholly unique to Wild Force,
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 06:18 PM #67
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

If we're doing comparisons I might as well get this out of the way: I think Dino Thunder is better than Abaranger. Abaranger's fine for what it was but let's face it It was just The Asuka drama hour starring 3 other guys & one douchebag which is kinda ironic compared to it's Ranger counterpart.
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 06:30 PM #68
> Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Merlin wrote: View Post

We can infer that Dolphin was a primary Headder as well since Magis was dead, and the Dolphin Headder may die with him. But its death doesn't mean Hyde can't use the other Sea Headders since he's alive to use his primary, the Shark.

Theoretically this means that if Eri were killed, only her primary Phoenix Headder would die, and since Alata has Dragon he could still summon Hawk, Crow, and Ptera. But since Phoenix is a vital component of GoseiGreat and one of the five prophesied Machines, GoseiGreat couldn't be formed.
But what do you make of the Dolphin headder in GoseiWonder? Were there two Dolphin headders? Maybe they're different types of Dolphins?
Mr. Yellow is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 06:35 PM #69
> TimeCrimson
Once upon a TimeCrimson..

TimeCrimson

Some more comparisons,

I think Megaranger is better than In Space. I'm sorry, but I personally prefer almost everything about Mega over In Space, story, characters, acting, feel, ideas.

But to be fair, I think the villains in In Space were better developed, and Astronema was a better villain than Shibolena. I also think C2D is one of the most compelling finales I've ever seen, so there's that.

And for Abaranger, I don't know if it's better than Dino Thunder from what I've seen, but it's not bad, it's actually a very fun/good show with some good ideas. Except it's feeling a little filler right now.

LG is one of my favorite seasons due to it's creativity. I agree Gingaman flows better, but LG working around that and making something as great as it is was brilliant. It's also the only season I own on DVD(I had a choice between that, IS or LR. I would've chosen LR but the dvd casing was broken).
TimeCrimson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:41 AM #70
> Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Mr. Yellow wrote: View Post

But what do you make of the Dolphin headder in GoseiWonder? Were there two Dolphin headders? Maybe they're different types of Dolphins?
Maybe. It's just more retroactive inconsistency. Back then we never knew there would be a Dolphin Goseiger and the dolphin was just another part of Wonder, nothing special.

Anyway, the five-coloured legend stands. Magis could have a Dolphin Headder attached to his gun, but there was no independent Dolphin Gosei Machine. If you want to invent one, well, call his an arctic dolphin and Wonder's a bottlenose dolphin, I guess.
Merlin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:53 AM #71
> Faiz
In Glorious Technicolor

Faiz
In Glorious Technicolor

I had wanted to watch Lost Galaxy before but I unexpectedly really got attached to Gingaman when I watched it. It was my first older Sentai and I really wasn't sure if I was going to like it. As it turns out I adored it, but now I'm worried that I won't be able to go into Lost Galaxy with a clear mind ^^;
Faiz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:06 AM #72
> Derpy.
Mighty Opioids

Derpy.
Mighty Opioids

Did anyone else who watched Dekaranger 10 YEARS AFTER realise how ridiculously powerful Jasmine's acquired ability from her son to teleport herself is? She just leapt between PLANETS without breaking a sweat!
Derpy. is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:09 AM #73
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Yeah...I think I liked it better when it was just "Jasmine is an ESPer", but considering her husband and kid, plus it has been ten years...
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:21 AM #74
> Arectaris Returned
Power Ranger

Arectaris Returned
Power Ranger

So I've been rewatching Dairanger, and it's such an odd season for me.

The aesthetics are, put kindly, terrible. Outside of Kiba Ranger, WonTiger and a few MOTW, the ranger suits, mecha and Gorma are all god ugly (it's like Toei didn't even try with the main Gorma villains). It's a gigantic step back from Zyuranger.

The choreography, however, is just amazing; probably the best Sentai has offered. And while the story is so-so, it's still a pretty enjoyable overall.
Arectaris Returned is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:52 PM #75
> The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen

Arectaris Returned wrote: View Post

The aesthetics are, put kindly, terrible. Outside of Kiba Ranger, WonTiger and a few MOTW, the ranger suits, mecha and Gorma are all god ugly (it's like Toei didn't even try with the main Gorma villains). It's a gigantic step back from Zyuranger.
That's funny, as the Dairanger suits are my favorites of any Sentai suit in 40 seasons. The mecha's pretty cool too. Can't speak for the villains though...
The Golden Witch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 06:32 PM #76
> TimeCrimson

TimeCrimson

An opinion on how the Dairanger suits feel to someone depends on how you look on it. I think they look great and the elements blend well and are brilliant.

Picture credited to BushidoX. The Dairanger suits look very pleasing for me, but because they really match the Chinese Kung Fu theme that Dairanger was trying to emphasize. The white midsection part is very similar to a Chinese Kung Fu uniform, albeit without sleeves, but it is one piece seperated by a material up front, mostly stitching in the real ones but here gold lining. The helmet is the most impressive thing for me.

If you see Kirinranger's and Shishiranger's helmets

and you compare Kirin's to the Chinese depiction of a Unicorn(Kirin) and Shishi's to of their depiction of a lion(shishi).

You see that designers incorporated that as a detail in the Dairanger suits, Kirin's helmet having the mane and horn, with Shishi having the aggresive lion look.

It's really cool to think that they'd put that much thought into it and include actual Chinese influence onto these suits and make them feel very Chinese and kung-fu like. I really like them because they look great and the small details that make the whole picture appealing.

Edit: Wait, holdup. I just realized they did have sleeves, albeit really short ones the same color as the rest of the suits. That's pretty cool.

Last edited by TimeCrimson; December 24th, 2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old December 25th, 2015, 11:02 AM #77
> TimeCrimson

TimeCrimson

Merry Christmas, fellow Sentai fans!

For all interested/Carranger fans like myself, I found a bunch of songs from the Carranger Christmas Album.

Merry Xmas! from Carranger(I think this is my favorite, sound so pleasant and sung with love and care from the characters, this also played at the end of Episode 43)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlY10yHtl_M

White Christmas(Solo from Yuji Kishi, Yoshihiro Fukuda, Yoshihiro Masujima(I don't know if he's in this one, I don't hear him) Yuka Motohashi and Atsuko Kurusu sing in English for this one, and it sounds great.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sujh-Mia2dE

Akahana no Tonakai(Solo from Minoru in the beginning to the tune of "Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0oz8DBr_cY

Omedetou Christmas(Solo from Youko in the beginning, and Dappu later)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uERzPFbUWY

Jingle Bell Full Accel Version(Takes Jingle Bell and literally puts a Carranger twist with it, with musical cues from the soundtrack)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFwEg6rKTkw

Kiyoshi no Yoru(Silent Night in Japanese, Naoki solo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVUctvezVss

Maeba no Kai no Christmas(Youko solo I think?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fp6Cs8oF88

This is all that I could find, I found a Natsumi solo but the name and description were in Japanese, I'll update if I find.
Old December 25th, 2015, 11:25 AM #78
> AshiusX
Inoue-ist

AshiusX
Inoue-ist

Good post. Timecrimson. Merry Christmas to everyone!

The Japanese always had a lingering admiration for Chinese culture. Their own culture was profoundly shaped by Chinese civilization specifically the Tang Dynasty and their writing system is basically an importation of the Chinese system. Even though the spoken Japanese language isn't really linked to any other language on Earth in a profound way. It appears to be evolved on its own.

Even when Japan invaded China in the 30s and 40s. And it was a brutal occupation needless to say. The Japanese claimed they were helping the Chinese regain their the culture which they lost. Japanese believed themselves to be the true inheritor of the great lost Chinese culture.
AshiusX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 12:05 PM #79
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Merry Christmas, RangerBoard! Imagination Station wishes to give you a gift: GoGoV VS Gingaman is out!
Miraculous Bikkun is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 05:46 PM #80
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

And for anyone who's interested, TV-Nihon just finished Megaranger. Gives me another option if when I watch it, I decide editing MFC's is too much of a hassle.
HowlingSnail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
a 40 year toy commercial, debating over spandex, destroyallchildren, liveman why have you?, nokidsallowed, thebestsentaithread, theoptimalsentaithread, xistheobjectlygoodsentai