Home Menu

Menu

Old November 7th, 2014, 01:30 AM #41
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Or they had one so good they had to bring Toy Story back for a fourth time.
But this is continuing a trend they started with Cars 2 and are continuing with Finding Dory, Cars 3 and The Incredibles 2. After Brave, it's become clear that they've lost some faith in their new intellectual properties.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:41 AM #42
> red-thunder
Power Ranger

red-thunder
Power Ranger

I hope we see Sid's Mutant Toys again, but that's extremely unlikely
red-thunder is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:47 AM #43
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Especially considering that Pixar was famously the studio that didn't "do" sequels, it's well documented that we only got a Toy Story 2 because Disney strong-armed them into it. Now we're looking att: Monsters Inc Prequel, Finding Nemo 2, Incredibles 2, Cars 3, Toy Story 4.

At the risk of sounding jaded, I'd bet bottom dollar it's about toy sales. Did you know that around the release of UP! Pixar's stock actually went down, because investors couldn't see the point of making a movie without toys to sell. It's no coincidence that the first movies to get sequels/prequels, are the kind with lots of fuzzy characters that they can make toys out of.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:55 AM #44
> red-thunder
Power Ranger

red-thunder
Power Ranger

This is like the Terminator 3 of Toy Story films
red-thunder is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 07:49 AM #45
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Primo Haim Saban wrote: View Post

But this is continuing a trend they started with Cars 2 and are continuing with Finding Dory, Cars 3 and The Incredibles 2. After Brave, it's become clear that they've lost some faith in their new intellectual properties.
I firmly believe the Cars stuff is actually being forced down Pixar's throats by Disney because it sells merchandise like crazy and the reason it's so bad is that they don't actually care about it or want to put their all into it. No heart and Pixar is all heart. I'm surprised there isn't an Alan Smithee credit on it at times.

There is a difference between having no faith in new properties and having more ideas for old ones. A sequel doesn't automatically mean "We've got to rehash something because new stuff isn't working" especially since they still pump out new stuff and the sequels are fairly unique on their own. Pixar just likes revisiting their favorites when they have the right idea.

With the Incredibles, they always intended to do more but the timing never worked out for them. Some of their movies were always intended to be revisitable and others are meant to be left on their own.

Remember, they are still releasing new movies, not just sequels. They've just had a few sequels announced, but they tend to announce these things well in advance. Which helps since they've had to shut a few projects down because other studios stole the ideas and released them first. I'd agree they had lost faith in original properties if they only had sequels lined up but they don't. In fact the next 2 Pixar movies coming out are original properties.

There is also the factor of time here to consider. Pixar's built up a big library over the years, it's not unthinkable for them to actually want to revisit their favorites. You're making it sound like they have no choice they have to pump out sequels now.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:07 AM #46
> MastaDan
Mastodon!

MastaDan
Mastodon!

Am I just having deja vu or wasn't this already announced before? I don't know if it was officially but I thought Tom Hanks was saying it was going to happen. So I'm not surprised personally, even though I don't think it needs to be done.

Yeah, it was talked about 3 years ago. I guess now it's just official.

http://www.eonline.com/news/249542/t...or-toy-story-4

While I don't think this should be made in the first place, I will hold off my judgments until there is at least some actual footage. It could end up being even better, even if the story was complete. I give everything a chance at least though. The Star Wars story was complete but nobody seems to mind it's being brought back. Maybe that's because a lot of fans want something to make up for the prequels though.

Last edited by MastaDan; November 7th, 2014 at 08:17 AM.
MastaDan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:53 AM #47
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

The movie deserves a chance...but unfortunately its just "tried and trusted franchise-itis" that all studios tend to get to. Instead of creating something new and seeing what happens, they try to milk more out of franchises that have already been successful. We shall see if this works, but I get fearful considering the original movies were great as they were. At least next year has "Inside Out" and "The Good Dinosaur" so I can't just say they're in hack territory yet.

And if this is about toys because Cars had a ton and Up didn't...Up wasn't supposed to be about toys, it was an emotional journey and in that it succeeded with spades. Why not just do what works: sell toys for what has franchises and just make good stories?
Ataruman is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:41 AM #48
> Dinorider37
Harness the Power

Dinorider37
Harness the Power

If this ends up being a second trilogy then I hope that the last scene is the toys ending up at an old thrift shop across the country. The shop ends up being in Andy's new hometown and Andy's son maybe named AJ? Finds Woody at the thrift shop and tells his dad he wants to buy him.

Andy says to AJ.."Wow I used to have a Woody doll just like this when I was your age!"

Andy then looks under Woody's foot for gags to see if his initials are craved. Andy is stunned to see them and smiles an says...

"Hi there old friend, You have traveled a very long way to end up here".

AJ then sees Buzz half hanging out of a box of old toys from a lower floor rack and asks his dad if he could get him as well. Andy smiles and says...

"Yes. These guys are coming home with us...where they belong".
Dinorider37 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:48 AM #49
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Pixar's built up a big library over the years, it's not unthinkable for them to actually want to revisit their favorites.
I think the part that's getting to me is that it's all being announced at once. Like if they just released a sequel, had something new coming soon, then announced a sequel of something else, the staggering would make it more natural and not feel like they're wrangling support for a waning brand. "Wait, wait, wait, don't leave, we PROMISE we'll finally do this!"
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:25 PM #50
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Primo Haim Saban wrote: View Post

I think the part that's getting to me is that it's all being announced at once. Like if they just released a sequel, had something new coming soon, then announced a sequel of something else, the staggering would make it more natural and not feel like they're wrangling support for a waning brand. "Wait, wait, wait, don't leave, we PROMISE we'll finally do this!"
It's not being announced at once. They announce a few movies a year, and those are planned out years down the road. They basically are doing what you're describing there, announce some films for years later, release some that are ready now including new material, and then announce more.

The sequels are all good movies, obviously excluding Cars because fuck Cars and it's spin off/rip off gallery. They stand on their own and haven't been rehashing, like many sequels have a tendency to do. Which is mainly why I have no problem with it. Each new movie Pixar puts out, be it New or Sequel, is worth it. You're going to get a unique experience each time. Which is really why I'm confused by your approach here. You're making it sound like Pixar is in huge trouble and flailing around trying to get audiences to their movies, but they're not. You're assuming they're trying to apply the age old "Give them the same ol' shit because they'll buy that for sure" trick where it doesn't exist nor even needs to be considered. You're almost doomsaying just because they slap a number on the end of a movie's title, when really it's basically an all new movie that'll be able to stand on it's own with very limited knowledge of the previous film to get into it.

As long as you know who's who, a Pixar sequel is basically just a new original movie anyway.
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:05 PM #51
> redanger05
Power Ranger

redanger05
Power Ranger

My guess is that it's for the new generation of kids to enjoy the franchise.

But like everyone said... Toy Story 3 was a PERFECT ending for the franchise. But also it was our generation saying bye to the characters. Almost like passing the torch. Does that make sense?
redanger05 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:11 PM #52
> Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

Absolutely. They would have been better off just doing more of those specials. I mean, where could they possibly take the story now?
Bluecatcinema is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:33 PM #53
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

redanger05 wrote: View Post

My guess is that it's for the new generation of kids to enjoy the franchise.
I keep seeing people say this but it doesn't make much sense to me. The original trilogy isn't going anywhere, it looks great in HD and holds up in nearly every way except for the human animation in the first one. Its not like they were always on the cutting edge of trending toys.

When they do use licensed properties they try to stick with the classics to keep things as timeless as possible. The only update they could do now is throw in smart phones and tablets.

The franchise is already popular with all generations. The shorts and specials of course cementing that.
Kyle16 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 05:37 PM #54
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Bluecatcinema wrote: View Post

Absolutely. They would have been better off just doing more of those specials. I mean, where could they possibly take the story now?
I remember when people said that about 3.

And 2.
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:49 PM #55
> ShadowThePika
Whatever...

ShadowThePika
Whatever...

I'll never get the Cars 1 hate so much besides it just not being as amazing as the other Pixar movies. Anyways, this is going to be as unnecessary as Shrek 4, and after rewatching that train wreck, makes me very fearful for how they could fuck up another Toy Story and ruin what they had.
ShadowThePika is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:56 PM #56
> SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

ShadowThePika wrote: View Post

I'll never get the Cars 1 hate so much besides it just not being as amazing as the other Pixar movies. Anyways, this is going to be as unnecessary as Shrek 4, and after rewatching that train wreck, makes me very fearful for how they could fuck up another Toy Story and ruin what they had.
First off I personally didn't think Shrek 4 was that bad. My relationship with Shrek films is weird, I don't consider the first one very good, but I love the second and don't really have an opinion on the third because I don't remember it very well.

With Toy Story though I enjoy all of the movies with Toy Story 2 being my personal favorite animated movie. Who knows if this will be good but I'll just wait and see.
SuperMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 04:35 AM #57
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

I don't know, I mean, the original films were basically about Woody and his relationship to Andy. I just don't see the same kind of vibe happening with him and Bonnie.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 02:37 PM #58
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Pixar is apparently doing this because sequels have an important part in the company's future. Why am I not surprised.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/to...ns-1201350707/
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 04:35 PM #59
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

There is some concept art from the the third movie in the link below. The story was very different and it looked more sad. This was before Bob Iger purchased Pixar in 2006.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=112853
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:47 PM #60
> MBDrKnight
Power Ranger

MBDrKnight
Power Ranger

Yeah I agree. I don't think its a good idea. Toy Story 3 was better than I anticipated. But Toy Story 4, I think they are pushing it. Toy Story 3 ended on a good note, anything else would be stretching it
MBDrKnight is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote