Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: How was the 2014 movie?
1. The Worst. Destroy All Monsters, writers, producers, and everyone else involved in this mess 3 1.51%
1. The Worst. Destroy All Monsters, writers, producers, and everyone else involved in this mess
3 1.51%
2. Just bad. Varan finds it Unbelievable how disappointing this is. 18 9.05%
2. Just bad. Varan finds it Unbelievable how disappointing this is.
18 9.05%
3. Okay. Godzilla Raids Again with a decent first step into relevancy 63 31.66%
3. Okay. Godzilla Raids Again with a decent first step into relevancy
63 31.66%
4. Very good. All-Out Attack of fun 75 37.69%
4. Very good. All-Out Attack of fun
75 37.69%
5. Brilliant, absolutely the King Of the Monster Movies. 40 20.10%
5. Brilliant, absolutely the King Of the Monster Movies.
40 20.10%
Votes: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:43 PM #61
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Actually, in some of preview stuff, they flat out say that the direction and tone is aiming to be more in-line with the original Gojira.

No campy and silly shenanigans here.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:43 PM #62
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Multiple Man wrote: View Post

As much as I love the crazier movies where Godzilla is teaming up with and fighting against other wildly-designed monsters and saving the world (however intentional it is at the time), that's not a Godzilla I necessarily want to see as the first new interpretation in years. I want to go back to the Godzilla that scares the shit out of people, and not just when he's standing right in front of them, ready to crush or blast them into oblivion. And I want those people to actually matter. To be played by credible actors, who are given lines that are meaningful in a dramatic sense- they're not just there to be exposition jukeboxes.
I want Godzilla to be a great white shark, and I want cities to be baby seals. That's an odd analogy, but it's the best way to describe the feeling of fear that something big can instill in me. I don't know if anyone here reads Transformers comics, but some of those portray the villain Unicron in this way: he floats silently through the black void of space, chance taking him from one planet to another, and when he arrives, he feeds, and when he's gone all that's left are whispered rumors of horror and death.

From a human perspective, the deep ocean is a lot like space, and while he's not planet-sized, Godzilla is plenty big enough. He needs to be like Unicron: a living cataclysm.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM #63
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Now this Godzilla is going to be CGI correct?
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:23 PM #64
> Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

DJ1107 wrote: View Post

Now this Godzilla is going to be CGI correct?
Yes, why?
Movie-Brat is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:20 PM #65
> shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

Supposedly Toho did require in the contract to have SOME footage of someone in a suit.

Of course, that might very well shots in the distance, or maybe a stuntman BEHIND a building, or something, or maybe it just means it will be a stuntman in a motion capture suit that's a godzilla suit with blue dots all over it, noone knows.

(Also) of course, since they're obviously are going for a classic G-Man look, upright and everything, it shouldn't be too hard to squeeze in something, no matter how obscured from vesion, or close up.

But yeah, basically expect something like 98% CGI or whatever. Which should be good. The makers of Pacific Rim SPECIFICALLY made the models of their kaiju look like something an actual personcould "wear", anatomically speaking, and its the same studio making Godzilla, so we should be in good hands
shoujoaifan01 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:28 PM #66
> Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

shoujoaifan01 wrote: View Post

Supposedly Toho did require in the contract to have SOME footage of someone in a suit.

Of course, that might very well shots in the distance, or maybe a stuntman BEHIND a building, or something, or maybe it just means it will be a stuntman in a motion capture suit that's a godzilla suit with blue dots all over it, noone knows.
Probably motion capture. It'd be close.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:32 PM #67
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Movie-Brat wrote: View Post

Yes, why?
Eh no reason I was just wondering, That comic-con footage made it look like a suit.
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:35 AM #68
> Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

So, what was everyone's first Godzilla film? Mine was Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster.
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:37 AM #69
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Movie-Brat wrote: View Post

So, what was everyone's first Godzilla film? Mine was Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster.
Same here. Caught it on the Disney Channel back in 1996. Remember when Disney actually put worthwhile shit on its flagship channel? Now what little of value can be found is mostly on ABC.
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:39 AM #70
> DoctorWhom
Super Mega Baked

DoctorWhom
Super Mega Baked

Godzilla 2000. Saw it in theaters when I was 11 years old. Been a fan ever since.
DoctorWhom is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 11:52 AM #71
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Godzilla VS Megalon. Found WAY back in the day when VHS was still a thing. And it was the freaking English dub.

I still weep that nothing was done with Jet Jaguar after that movie.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:09 PM #72
> Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Well, can you blame Toho for that? That thing looked stupid as hell.
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:24 PM #73
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

Godzilla 1998 but that was in name only.

First legit Godzilla movie I watched was 2000. Caught vs Gigan last few minutes one late night on Scifi channel, Also bits of vs Megagirus.
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:45 PM #74
> Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

To date, Godzilla 2000 is the only legit Godzilla film I've seen in theaters. I didn't waste anytime when I was 9 to go see that.
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:55 PM #75
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

DJ1107 wrote: View Post

Godzilla 1998 but that was in name only.

First legit Godzilla movie I watched was 2000.
Oh Jesus, this again. Godzilla '98 was a poor film and a disservice to the character, this is true, but so were most of his outings from '67-'75. That doesn't keep them from being real Godzilla movies. Just because something sucks doesn't mean it stops counting. If it did, the American government would decanonize the Vietnam War. G98 was produced by people who legally acquired the license to make it, therefore it is a Godzilla film, for better or worse.

And no, the presence of Zilla in Final Wars doesn't mean anything. They haven't changed the movie's name or hid it in the vaults, never to be seen again. You can go out and buy a legal copy under its original title. They obviously have no problem selling it as a Godzilla film, so they have no right to pitch a fit when people consider it a Godzilla film.
Old July 24th, 2013, 01:57 PM #76
> Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Toho merely sees Zilla as a different creature.
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:21 PM #77
> DoctorWhom
Super Mega Baked

DoctorWhom
Super Mega Baked

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

Oh Jesus, this again. Godzilla '98 was a poor film and a disservice to the character, this is true, but so were most of his outings from '67-'75. That doesn't keep them from being real Godzilla movies. Just because something sucks doesn't mean it stops counting. If it did, the American government would decanonize the Vietnam War. G98 was produced by people who legally acquired the license to make it, therefore it is a Godzilla film, for better or worse.
But it's still separate from the Godzilla series. It's not a Toho movie and doesn't have any connection to any of the official eras. I think it is kind of fair to separate them, not because of the quality of the film, but it (just like the new one) did not actually come from the people who actually own the franchise.

Also that thing looked nothing like Godzilla, was significantly smaller, and basically just has the same name. And I love that they actually wrote that movie into their continuity, just to declare them separate monsters. The dialogue in "Giant Monsters All-Out Attack" is something like:
Isn't that the monster that attacked New York?
No, they thought it was Godzilla, but it was not.
DoctorWhom is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:25 PM #78
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

And no, the presence of Zilla in Final Wars doesn't mean anything. They haven't changed the movie's name or hid it in the vaults, never to be seen again. You can go out and buy a legal copy under its original title. They obviously have no problem selling it as a Godzilla film, so they have no right to pitch a fit when people consider it a Godzilla film.
Sorry about that didn't mean to start anything. To be fair I actually enjoy G98, Hell it gave us the cartoon sequel.
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:26 PM #79
> Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Movie-Brat
Power Ranger

Admittedly, the 1998 film increased my love for the monster when I was caught up in the hype for the film.
Old July 24th, 2013, 02:40 PM #80
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

DoctorWhom wrote: View Post

But it's still separate from the Godzilla series. It's not a Toho movie and doesn't have any connection to any of the official eras. I think it is kind of fair to separate them, not because of the quality of the film, but it (just like the new one) did not actually come from the people who actually own the franchise.
For the purpose of cataloging, yeah, that makes sense. For the purpose of determining if the film is "legitimate", though, as a lot of fans do, I think it's specious at best. TriStar didn't just decide to make a Godzilla film one day. They had to get Toho's license to use the character. Toho could have stopped the production and demanded changes if they had such a problem with it. And as tyrannical as Toho is with it's properties, you can be damn sure they had to give their stamp of approval on the final cut before it got within miles of a movie theater. This company has a well-known history of not fucking around.

Toho willingly allowed their intellectual property to be used in the making of that movie. As such, they should be made to live with the final product, not have it conveniently swept from their record just because they didn't give it the hands-on treatment.