Home Menu

Menu

Old August 15th, 2014, 04:48 PM #61
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

Think it's time for more teams to be introduced.
Adara.2 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:03 AM #62
> jaredstar
ranger fan

jaredstar
ranger fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSLUXkfm9b8

yangs battle song
jaredstar is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 01:26 PM #63
> esper1
Gamer till I die

esper1
Gamer till I die

Just started watching this after I kept hearing about it in other places on Rooster Teeth. I'm amazed that the voice-acting in this show is better than a lot of "professional" voicework in other anime and videogames, not to mention the animation and character design. I can definitely recognise it as Monty Oum's style, having watched the Dead Fantasy videos. Looking forward to watching more episodes!
esper1 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:58 PM #64
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

Would it be weird to think that the more "depressing" sounding songs are telling the backstory about RWBY's world? I really don't want bad things to happen to the main characters just yet.
Old August 17th, 2014, 03:01 PM #65
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Adara.2 wrote: View Post

Would it be weird to think that the more "depressing" sounding songs are telling the backstory about RWBY's world? I really don't want bad things to happen to the main characters just yet.
Well, Ozpin's been foreshadowing a lot how they have to "enjoy the time they have as kids"...so yeah.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 01:55 PM #66
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

So apparently Dust can be stitched into clothes or made into a tattoo. When are there going to be Dust mech? My OC has one.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 02:03 PM #67
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

The mechs that have appeared are kinda implied to have Dust in them...at least I think so.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 08:11 PM #68
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

The mechs that have appeared are kinda implied to have Dust in them...at least I think so.
Yeah but what about actual transformers? Like it transforms into this awesome battle robot, but also an armored car when traveling. That would be pretty cool for the show.
Old August 30th, 2014, 08:45 PM #69
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

And now, back to our regularly scheduled RWBY with ep 5.

-And we open with...Pyrrha kicking the crap out of Team CRDL. Well, starting on a good note already...

-Someone's telling Steve Rogers to eat his heart out.

-...uh...why is everyone from Teams RWBY and JNPR in their default clothes and everyone else is in their Beacon uniforms? Man, the dress code is completely lax...

-And there you go ladies and gents: proof that guys can rock the gun-shoes look just as much as the gals can. Bayonetta, step aside.

-Also, for those of you that saw Captain America: Winter Soldier and were disappointed at the Cap vs Batroc fight in that movie, Pyrrha vs Mercury is a good stand in.

-...well kinda. Since it ends abruptly. Ah well.

-Blake, not a good idea to go running around with your nose in a book. You could hurt yourself if you do that. Only gal that I can think of who can pull that off is Be-

*suddenly remembers which fairy tale character she's based on*

...oh. Yeah. Right. Carry on!!!

-Blake, really? I know you're the broody loner of the group but c'mon! Sun's a good guy! Don't leave him hanging like that!

-Blake honey, you know you can't succeed in school if you can't get proper rest and nutrition! Studying late into the night without stopping just isn't healthy for you!

-I'm a bit conflicted. On one hand, Blake really does need to stop and take a break so she doesn't crack. On the other hand, she is right in that the group are sitting on a big conspiracy that could endanger lives and that they can't afford to wait.

-Poor Juane. The dude tries. He genuinely tries. Too bad he chose the Ice Queen to try to woo...

-...we've gone from one episode of "Fighting mech on a highway" to "awkward teenage romance at dances". Oi.

-And of course Juane is totally clueless about the young woman with him right now...which begs the questions: so he thinks that Pyrrha's out of his league...but not Weiss? Huh.

-...ok really, why's Team Cinder (which by the by, was their team name every officially announced) in their school uniforms? And after-hours!

-*ominous last shot on sewing needle*

...we're going into Sleeping Beauty territory? Um, ok...

-But seriously: not much happened in this episode. Some character bits for Blake, but otherwise not much in the way of plot. Gah.

----------------------------------------

Also, I think I figured out what's been bugging me about Team RWBY trying to pursue Torchwick's operations: the lack of personal stakes.

As we can see, Blake has the most personal investment in what's going on: her people the Faunus being drawn into a bloody war that they don't understand the true purpose of, and where she wants to stop them from getting needlessly killed. You COULD argue that Weiss has some investment since her family's business is getting drawn into it, but considering her estranged relationship with her family, I dunno. Ruby and Yang, on the other hand, have no personal reason to be involved. Outside of "it's the right thing to do". Which...can only go so far. This really isn't quite the same as "with great power comes great responsibility".

Because otherwise we're left with the questions of: why do they care? What personal reasons do Ruby and Yang have to give a shit about what's going on?
Old August 30th, 2014, 09:59 PM #70
> Chiron723
Power Ranger

Chiron723
Power Ranger

One thing is for certain, Juane's an idiot. Pyrrha so obviously likes him (to the point where I'm waiting for someone else to point it out) yet he is completely oblivious to it. You also got to feel bad for Sun, but at least Blake has a reason for not noticing him.
Chiron723 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:50 AM #71
> Green'n'Deadly
Power Ranger

eBay
Green'n'Deadly
Power Ranger

eBay

Juane's an idiot but I'm hoping in a wierd kinda twist that Wiess points out to Juane that Pyrrha likes him
Green'n'Deadly is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:00 AM #72
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Oh hey, I'm somewhat on time. Yay!!!

Ep 6 of RWBY

-Ah yes, Doilies vs Fog Machines. The debate rages on...

-Well Sun, pretty sure the ladies wouldn't mind a midriff baring guy...even if the appeal may have dulled a bit over time.

-A laser pointer?

That's racist.

-Also, I swear that some of those books looked like customized Xbox 360s...

-Well you gotta give RWBY one thing: at least it's equal opportunity with its fanservice.

-"Ren...I consider you my best friend. In fact, I think these past few months we REALLY bonded!"

Oh yeah, you too are real tight and bonded together...said bonding which we have not seen at all, but w.e.

-Juane is asking Ren...the lone silent type...dating advice. While Ren is wearing nothing but a towel. And where Nora is in the same room trying to not pay attention to the conversation with headphones.

Yeah, I gotta wonder too about Beacon's co-ed dorming policies as well, but I think everyone here already knew that.

-Sing? Well unless if I'm missing something I don't think we've ever heard her sing (in this case, I'm not counting the White trailer) so what do-

Juane, you're a doof and all, but even *I* never took you to be the stalking type!

-Practice what you preach indeed Pyhrra...of course, now I gotta wonder why Ren and Nora haven't said anything.

-Yay for clarification on Ruby's and Yang's backstory!!! Not often you get a half-sibling backstory...

-And seriously, took them long enough to establish Yang's personal conflict.

-I don't know about you guys, but Juane didn't look THAT disappointed.

-...aaaaand we suddenly cut to the dance! Uh...not the greatest in terms of transitions, guys.

-Kinda surprised at how simple-looking the girls' dresses are in comparison to their Default and Alt outfits.

-Sun, you'd be surprised at how a tie can go a long way to class a guy up.

-What got me laughing the most is the fact that Ozpin's just in his regular clothes and nothing formal at all.

Highlight of this episode was, naturally, the scene with Yang and Blake and the two's development. Well, Blake's mostly: a good lesson that while it's fine to have a goal in life and be driven in achieving it, it's not good to let it consume you. And of course revealing of Yang's backstory and her personal conflict, which we sorely needed since last season.
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:33 AM #73
> jaredstar
ranger fan

jaredstar
ranger fan

Say what you will about Jaunes obliviousness to the fact that pyrea is warm for his form. but i cant help but smile at the fact that his attraction to weiss goes beyond just her looks money or name
jaredstar is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 09:11 PM #74
> OmegaRedMkII
Power Ranger

OmegaRedMkII
Power Ranger

Okay, I am just gonna come out and say it. I have just started watching this show today, and I BINGED the entire thing up until episode 6. I love this show. It's like... Sailor Moon, Power Rangers (SPD Specifically), Teen Titans (the humor specifically), and Full Metal Alchemist rolled into one.

I love all of the characters, although I am still waiting for Ruby to... WOW me. Her character is likable, but as tasti pointed out, I am waiting for her to have her personal motivation fleshed out. We already know about wanting to be a huntress because of her parents and uncle, but she is basically doing it out of idealism, as Blake has pointed out. That in itself isn't a bad thing, but I want to see her get invested, and make her path hers... you know? All in all, you know this show has good characters when you can't choose a favorite, and for the life of me I can't. Everyone is so balanced and nuanced, both having quirks I like and dislike. The just all feel like three dimensional characters. Ruby is the idealist prodigy who sometimes lets her earnestness get in the way of making friends. Yang is her older sister who feels responsible for her sister, but sometimes doesn't take things seriously, but never to the point of negligence. Weiss is the expert with a snooty heart of ice, and a little privileged, but goes hard for her friends and is the first person that will tell you how it is. Blake is imo the most interesting character of the bunch with her being a Faunuss, and the struggles and discrimination that comes with, as well as having a sordid past.

I actually really love the side characters as well, and this is another reason that this show reminds me of FMA. Other that Rei, every single character effects the story in some way, and all of them have had substantial development. Jaune reminds me a lot of Soka, just a lovable dork who is clearly in over his head, but has a hidden power underneath and a natural leadership that I really want to see develop. Pyrah reminds me a lot of Mako from Sailor Moon. The girl with the heart of gold who wants to be loved who can also seriously kick your ass. Nora and Rei have had the least development so far, but I wish they would feature Nora more, as she is FREAKIN HILARIOUS! Neptune and Sun are growing on me. Although Sun brings great balance for Blake, Neptune is just kinda... there. I like him well enough, but other than being able to fight, he is really just eye candy for Weiss.

The action... OMG the action. That is one of the only things I love about CGI animation is that it lends a lot more freedom with movement without having to worry about how many frames of animation you need. The action is DBZ on crack. My jaw has been left open plenty of many of times, one of which being the Forever Fall II. That action sequence was crazy, I won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it... just... watch it...now. Best Day Ever was also a great way to show of the action while doing something unique by taking a food fight into a literal context. Just... I love this show.

I haven't gushed at a show like this in a long time. I am literally holding my breath until next week. I really hope this show gets the audience it deserves. It's the kind of excitement I want to have for Power Rangers every week (maybe we will next year). When I was watching and my sister saw me she literally busted up laughing because I had the biggest grin on my face and she said "You are way to excited over this show." That is the only illustration I can use to make whomever is reading this understand how much this show means to me. The action, the mythos, the characters, the art style, the voice acting. All of it just does it for me. What Shovel Knight did for me for gaming, this show has done for anime and cartoons. Both of which has raised the bar, and I am eagerly waiting to see what happens next....(deep breath, exhale)...mini gush review over.
OmegaRedMkII is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:21 AM #75
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Ep 7 of RWBY

-"To the socially awkward!"

-Juane, please please PLEASE don't do anything stupid...

-...good boy. Follow the Sexy Lady in Red instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

-Hmm, not too often that we get the "so popular that no one dares approach them" popular kid...

-Neptune can't dance...again, I find that far funnier then it actually is.

-Who knew that this episode would be on Jaune's Words of Wisdom...

-...welp, episode ever, Juane in a dress, everyone!

-OH GODDAMMIT THEY'RE TRYING TO BRING DISCO BACK! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE NOOOOOOW!!!!!

-So Juane grew up with 7 sisters, huh? Explains a lot, actually...

-Lulz, even Penny managed to get on the dancing...

-Why am I not surprised that Cinder has a Black Widow-esque get up?

-OH JEEZ THE BACK OF THE HEAD!!!

-...aaaaaand ASS SHOT.

-Wait...why did she wait until she got into the lobby to put on a mask? The hell?

-After Captain America: Winter Soldier, the bar has long since raised when it comes to elevator fight scenes. Cutting away ain't gonna do anymore.

-Care packaged Crescent Rose? Shit, someone sign me up!!

-We're not even going to be treated to a shot of Cinder slotting in a flash drive to download/upload the Stuff? Um, k then...

-Uh...Ruby, didn't you say that you hate high heels? I would think that when the fighting starts your first instinct would be to ditch the heels.

Unless, of course, I'm missing something and it's totally possible for someone to be completed acclimated to wearing heels in their first night of wearing them AND being able to pull off acrobatics.

But that would just be SILLY...

-Well know, so Cinder's not only very versatile with Dust, but has a weapon that can be twin swords and a bow? Nice.

-Wait...what just happened?

So Cinder made her escape when Ironwood arrived...and when we cut to the next scene BAM she's back at the party? I mean, in that shot we don't see a broken window...and we've already established that the Tower and the dance are not in the same building...so...the hell?

Unless if it's just Teleportation magic...because. >.>

-Oh look, Cinder has a distinctive tattoo on her back, I'm sure THAT won't be important later on...

-Closing in on ominous zoom-in on a chess piece screensaver!!!

Well we finally learn a bit more about Neptune, some more on Pyrrha, and some development for Juane. In which both Neptune and Juane need to man up and also be honest with themselves. Meanwhile the plot moves forward while Cinder sneaks into the Tower to do...something. I have to tilt my head on why it was so imperative that it would be at the same time as the dance since the Tower still had guards all over it, but whatever.
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:53 AM #76
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

So apparently weapons can be summoned via Dust. Really want History or Remnant to explain that.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:14 PM #77
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Ep 8 of RWBY

-"Sorry I'm late, someone accidentally hit all the buttons...

Which TOTALLY wasn't me"

Riiiiggght, Ruby.

-And so teh plot thickens with everyone coming together to figure out what the hell Torchwick and Co are up to...

-Why am I not surprised that Ruby gets so excited whenever a present comes her way...

-DOGGIE!!!

-Also I love the little detail that Blake is the one to move as far away as possible from teh pooch.

-Even cute doggies can melt Weiss' frigid heart. Well, naturally; if you didn't, I start suspecting that you are absent of a heart.

-Apparently Tai-Yang employs Time Lord tech to package the puppy.

-Huh. Was not expecting the show to give an in-universe reason for naming people after colors.

-Soooo.....these are like those "missions" in Naruto? Blagh. Guess they better go update their Quest Logs...

-Ozpin: the new Dumbledore who knows EXACTLY when students are misbehavin', but misbehavin' for a good cause.

-BUNNY GIRL! Where haff yu been?

-...and who is vaguley Australian? Not surprised.

-And their senior Huntsman? The stringiest nerd you'll see this side of high school. I love it. XD

Mostly plot focus episode today, transitioning from the Dance story arc to the new story arc. Highlight was, naturally, teh puppy (even if at this point it's technically a cheap shot to use something so adorable). Let's see how things go from here...
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:39 PM #78
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

I'm guessing Cardin comes from the Lannisters of this universe. Filthy rich and pretty low on morals too.
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:21 PM #79
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Well, it's been awhile, ain't it? Back to da RWBY-ing!!!

So eps 9 and 10 of RWBY are the episodes that pretty much needed to happen.

Despite the characters training to be Hunters, the show at this point hasn’t REALLY been about the Hunting part. We did have the very first arc back in vol 1 about the characters’ Initiation but that was about it…and even then the Grimm are treated as nothing more but grunts for the characters to kill. And after that it was all Beacon shenanigans, the stuff with the White Fang, and Torchwick and Cinder’s plotting. Never really about them being Hunters. Here we get the “Why do we fight?” questions asked of them…which does lead to some excellent characterization between Weiss, Blake, and Yang. Although Ruby doesn’t get posed the question…instead turning the question around on Oobleck on why he fights. What could this mean for our little she-devil in Red…who knows. Still, good stuff and it’s nice when an action series likes this slows down to have serious and quiet moments.

We even go as far as hinting at the ecology of Grimm and that they have more instinct and mind other than just attacking humans. That they’re actually plotting and waiting for the right time to attack humans and to know not to throw away their lives frivolously. I was actually half scared that they were going to cut to a scene of the elephant Grimm tending to a bunch of baby Grimm but thankfully it wasn’t.

(and before anyone says anything, no I have not seen any of the World of Remnant videos)

Oh and thus far, I think Oobleck’s great. Dude’s like a Doc Brown in a safari get up. And he does bring the pearls of wisdom to the team and putting things in perspective on their job as Hunters.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ep 11

-Torchwick! A pleasure to see ‘dis guy work

-And that, Ruby, is why that cape sucks.

-Well, at least Ruby wasn’t in captivity for that long.

-TRAIN BATTLE!!!

-Dat Doge baseball though…

-Come to think of it never did notice the height differences between characters that much aside from Ruby…

-*looks online*
…aaaaaand the shippers are already getting to work with Honey Ice Cream

-Do you really need me to make a Warhammer 40k joke?

-Oh hai mysterious masked lady-who’s-totally-not-Yang’s-mom

-Hmm that mask being worn s typical of Faunus for the White Fang cause…perhaps she’s also Faunus? Imagine if Yang and Blake were somehow half-sisters…but nah, that’d be too silly…

-I think what I find depressing the most is how bland and generic the mechs in this show are.

-Actually, now that I think about it, last couple episodes in terms of character development have more focused squarely on everyone but Ruby. Huh.

-Oh come on, we’re not even going to see any Grimm hit any civvies? Even Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, shows meant for children, have more balls then that!

-Aaaaaand…cliffhanger!

-And to clarify, next episode is the season/volume finale?
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:21 PM #80
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

Well, it's been awhile, ain't it? Back to da RWBY-ing!!!

So eps 9 and 10 of RWBY are the episodes that pretty much needed to happen.

Despite the characters training to be Hunters, the show at this point hasn’t REALLY been about the Hunting part. We did have the very first arc back in vol 1 about the characters’ Initiation but that was about it…and even then the Grimm are treated as nothing more but grunts for the characters to kill. And after that it was all Beacon shenanigans, the stuff with the White Fang, and Torchwick and Cinder’s plotting. Never really about them being Hunters. Here we get the “Why do we fight?” questions asked of them…which does lead to some excellent characterization between Weiss, Blake, and Yang. Although Ruby doesn’t get posed the question…instead turning the question around on Oobleck on why he fights. What could this mean for our little she-devil in Red…who knows. Still, good stuff and it’s nice when an action series likes this slows down to have serious and quiet moments.

We even go as far as hinting at the ecology of Grimm and that they have more instinct and mind other than just attacking humans. That they’re actually plotting and waiting for the right time to attack humans and to know not to throw away their lives frivolously. I was actually half scared that they were going to cut to a scene of the elephant Grimm tending to a bunch of baby Grimm but thankfully it wasn’t.

(and before anyone says anything, no I have not seen any of the World of Remnant videos)

Oh and thus far, I think Oobleck’s great. Dude’s like a Doc Brown in a safari get up. And he does bring the pearls of wisdom to the team and putting things in perspective on their job as Hunters.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ep 11

-Torchwick! A pleasure to see ‘dis guy work

-And that, Ruby, is why that cape sucks.

-Well, at least Ruby wasn’t in captivity for that long.

-TRAIN BATTLE!!!

-Dat Doge baseball though…

-Come to think of it never did notice the height differences between characters that much aside from Ruby…

-*looks online*
…aaaaaand the shippers are already getting to work with Honey Ice Cream

-Do you really need me to make a Warhammer 40k joke?

-Oh hai mysterious masked lady-who’s-totally-not-Yang’s-mom

-Hmm that mask being worn s typical of Faunus for the White Fang cause…perhaps she’s also Faunus? Imagine if Yang and Blake were somehow half-sisters…but nah, that’d be too silly…

-I think what I find depressing the most is how bland and generic the mechs in this show are.

-Actually, now that I think about it, last couple episodes in terms of character development have more focused squarely on everyone but Ruby. Huh.

-Oh come on, we’re not even going to see any Grimm hit any civvies? Even Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, shows meant for children, have more balls then that!

-Aaaaaand…cliffhanger!

-And to clarify, next episode is the season/volume finale?
Yang did say Ruby knew what her path in life would be last episode. I guess having more foresight compared to people older and more experienced than you counts as development.

Last edited by Adara.2; December 21st, 2014 at 08:02 PM.