Home Menu

Menu

Old March 16th, 2013, 03:16 PM #21
> mewzard
Power Ranger

mewzard
Power Ranger

Arkvoodle wrote: View Post

I did listen to that podcast rundown of the suits provided in the previous thread. Definitely interesting to hear even though I disagree with some of it.

Though unless I closed it early, they missed one- Akibaranger.
Zander Yurami wrote: View Post

Akibaranger doesnt count
Well, it's not so much that it doesn't count as it simply just slipped our minds at the time. Plus, Lewis was sick, and our long topic was already long enough. If you want to know what Lewis thinks of Akibaranger's suits, you'll just have to ask him. I imagine he'd have a lot to say actually, given some...fanservicey bits. >_>

Well, I hope this at least tides you guys over for a bit while Lewis works hard to make his MF review awesome.

If it's any consolation, I liked Boukenger/Operation Overdrive's suits...the characters in OO? Not so much, but I came around to the suits, at least. But, who knows if Lewis might not come around to OO to some degree (but given how we've given him the incoming doom speech about OO on his last two visits, that might not happen, lol)?
mewzard is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:17 PM #22
> kuhan
Nominally Safe for Work

kuhan
Nominally Safe for Work

Arkvoodle wrote: View Post

I did listen to that podcast rundown of the suits provided in the previous thread. Definitely interesting to hear even though I disagree with some of it.

Though unless I closed it early, they missed one- Akibaranger.
Zander Yurami wrote: View Post

Akibaranger doesnt count
It's not that we don't count Akibaranger, it's just that we sort of... forgot...
I blame mewzard.
SirianRex wrote: View Post

What's this about a podcast? Can I have a link, please? =3

EDIT: Never mind, found it.
http://sentairangers.com/podcasts/pspr/
Yeah, we've also got a RangerBoard thread and you can go straight to the episode here.
kuhan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:55 PM #23
> R-Nogami
Lone Wolf

R-Nogami
Lone Wolf

DJ1107 wrote: View Post

So I listen to the history of Super Sentai suits, & I gotta say it's depressing to hear he hate the Bouken/OO suits.....
I am similarly disappointed at his dislike of the Abaranger suits(which I think do the dinosaur theme a lot better than Zyuranger), and how there was no comment on the AbareMax suit, which is my all time favorite Super Sentai/Power Rangers suit design.

if you read this Linkara, could you say what you think of the AbareMax/Triassic Ranger suit?
R-Nogami is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM #24
> shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

kuhan wrote: View Post

It's not that we don't count Akibaranger, it's just that we sort of... forgot...
I blame mewzard.
I myself was going "What about Phantom Ranger?"-

-which I promptly got over, because really, while I like the charcter, his suit was really just the knock-off suit from a 1 or 2 episode shot comedic character from Carranger which they (thankfully) expanded into a 6th ranger role, so really, his doesn't really count as a ranger suit that was desgined as a ranger suit, since it, you know, wasn't.

As for my own opinion of it, I loved the more real look of it, although even back in the 90's I realiazed it was a bit on the generic side (was an early Halo out then on some early system? Because that's what I think of nowadays when I look at it. Which is often because I love my 12'' action figure of him )

Dyl wrote: View Post

I watched the Pod Cast that was posted of the sentai suits. I enjoyed it, and I find the speculation of Saban having a second female for the new sentai adaptation interesting.

As much as I'd love to see that, I doubt we will. I always saw the gender changes done in LG - WF, as a safety net. Meaning there has always been two females per team, and breaking that formula could hurt the show.

However with NS, DT and JF disney kept the genders the same, proving that it can be done with out hurting the show. Unfortunately because of this I can see Saban also leaving the genders alone. Unless we are lucky and Saban indeed wants the ratio to be 3 guys vs 2 girls regardless.
puppet wrote: View Post

Huh. I honestly hope that's the case, because, well, I always thought Stag Buster would be a somewhat easy gender flip, (at least compared to Beet, Blue, and of course Red,) and make for a fun dynamic we hadn't really seen in PR before.
Speaking of making male rangers female in the adaptions, I'm always surprised alot of people think KyorGreen is the choice they'll go with if they make one of the guys the 2nd girl in the Kyoryuger/PR season, when KyorBlack seems more likely, what with the black suit being more slimming, and less obvious guy like KyorGreen.....

....which is to say people could still tell the difference between a male and female black rangers switching back and forth real easy, but KyorBlack would make a more convincing, really petite girl than Green would.

Of course, I would love more girls rangers of any color in the Kyoryuger adaption, and in fact I would love it if there were official black and green girl rangers period, so either one works for me.
shoujoaifan01 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:55 AM #25
> Linkara
Power Ranger

Linkara
Power Ranger

Well, heading to bed, but figured I'd post the updates of my tweets about Mystic Force that I've been doing for the last several hours. Ended at "The Light."

Alrighty, back to watching some Power Rangers at 3 in the morning! #MysticForce

#MysticForce Yep, just keep using your sacred gifts to do your damn day job, Rangers.

#MysticForce Koragg talks about honor so much and yet never actually exemplifies it. I miss Villamax.

#MysticForce O hai poorly-executed explosions that are completely off to the side of the Rangers instead of hitting them.

#MysticForce They do have a point, though - they have a genie and never friggin' use it. Like... ever.

#MysticForce "Let's have one of the zords turn into a ball that we will kick to one another for no reason before going to the villain!"

#MysticForce Sooo, the evildoers actually DO get a wish from the genie, but the Rangers got gypped out of there's? Genies are useless.

#MysticForce You know who would have been more helpful for the Rangers? Kazaam. Kazaam would've kicked Imperious' ass with a rap.

#MysticForce Sooo, the forces of evil took over the world thanks to no Mystic Rangers? As usual, we forget all the other Rangers on earth.

#MysticForce "But Linkara, not acknowledging other series blah blah blah," then perhaps they shouldn't have Piggy cameoing. Just sayin'.

#MysticForce So basically "Dark Wish" is "Power Rangers: Age of Apocalypse."

#MysticForce And after badass fight scene, we come across a door in the desert. #OuterLimitsTheme

#MysticForce Wouldn't it have been embarrassing if the door wasn't a test about "taking the easy way out" but rather would they help...

#MysticForce ...their fellow man who was doing a supposedly mundane task? Whoops!

#MysticForce The Tribunal of Magic is made up of a bunch of assholes. I bet they're just jealous that we get to wear more than one color.

#MysticForce I love how the Mystic Legend Armor staves have a rotary phone dial on them. It is just as the legends foretold.

#MysticForce Koragg, why the hell would you call forth Necrolai to defend you? The woman has been trying to bump you off since day one!

#MysticForce I bet if the Rangers or the villains stopped and aimed for two seconds they wouldn't hit the space BEHIND the other.

#MysticForce ZOMG! I totally didn't see this plot twist coming even though it was very clearly set up!

#MysticForce "Hi Rangers I've got a unicorn now that can help your Zords and travel to other dimensions bye!"

#MysticForce "Hey, you cheated!" "Of course I did!" Seriously, what in the hell did you EXPECT?!

#MysticForce See, here's the thing about fighting honorably against opponents - it really doesn't work if the opponents don't share...

#MysticForce ...the same values as you. As a result, you have to think of the greater good beyond hoping dishonorable men will fight with it

#MysticForce "The Book of Prophecy! See, it even says it here in perfect English lettering!"

#MysticForce Pssh, this is bullcrap. Rock attacks should be super-effective against fire type.

#MysticForce Alrighty, it's almost 7 AM for me and I need to sleep. I think I will finish off Mystic Force later today when I awaken.
Linkara is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:18 AM #26
> Dav3vsth3World
Power Ranger

Dav3vsth3World
Power Ranger

Linkara wrote: View Post

#MysticForce So basically "Dark Wish" is "Power Rangers: Age of Apocalypse."
Just wondering do you know the premis of RPM?
Dav3vsth3World is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:20 AM #27
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Shweeet. Looks like he's in the home stretch for MF.

Got a kick out of all the snarky tweets, Here's hoping some will be used in the actual video.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:50 AM #28
> dragonzordpower123
You have failed this city

dragonzordpower123
You have failed this city

I assumed this would be the tone for Mystic Force.

Good.
dragonzordpower123 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM #29
> XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2
Power Ranger

XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2
Power Ranger

dragonzordpower123 wrote: View Post

I assumed this would be the tone for Mystic Force.

Good.
Linkara, by his own admission, is a rather snarky individual. His Twitter comments do not reflect his actual opinion of the series. Unless they are really concrete, such as his thoughts Kalishsplosions, Koragg's honor, unicorn's random appearance, probably the one that says the plot twist being clearly set up, etc. Posts like those are probably really accurate criticisms he has on the series.

Linkara wrote: View Post

#MysticForce "Hi Rangers I've got a unicorn now that can help your Zords and travel to other dimensions bye!"
As a little tidbit about the Unicorn comment: That Unicorn was actually initially used in the Magiranger movie, so Japanese audiences got familiar with that Zord in the movie and were like "hey cool" when it appeared in the show. It was also originally belonged to Koragg's Japanese counterpart before he turned evil. Hence, why its combining sequence with Red is similar to Koragg's combining sequence. Red was also Koragg's counterpart's son, so it was meant as a sort of "He's using his father's weapon" type of moment.

Obviously, this doesn't excuse them from not explaining it better in Mystic Force, but I thought it might be interesting to elaborate on its seemingly random appearance in Mystic Force.

This "Movie Debut Zord" is also going to happen in Operation Overdrive when you see a Zord debuted with no proper set-up like it's no big thing mid-late through the series. And it actually happened in Power Ranger Samurai, as the Shark Attack Mode first debuted in a movie, but they did explain it in Samurai and actually used footage from the movie the Shark Attack Mode debuted in.

Also a fun little tidbit: Japan used to get yearly movie releases for Super Sentai. Then the Direct-to-Video Crossover movies got theatrical releases, and subsequently, bigger budgets as a result. And now they have have another Crossover Theatrical Release with Kamen Rider every year as well, making it 3 movies a year where Rangers are involved in.

Last edited by XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2; March 25th, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:29 PM #30
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner

jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner

Just wanted to reiterate how awesome these reviews/retrospectives are and how awesome you are for doing them, Linkara. I've been re-watching them the last few days.

I just finished re-watching your Wild Force review, and the clips you showed reminded me just how great a villain Master Org really was. I loved Wild Force when it aired but haven't seen it since, after watching this review I want to go and rewatch it again. I also have a possible explanation for why Taylor let people believe she was dead: she was an active duty Air Force Officer, and had she shown back up at the base with Ranger powers, this would have potentially created an immense conflict of interest. With the world in danger, she couldn't afford to be torn between her Ranger duties and Air Force responsibilities. There's also the possibility of a power-hungry officer trying to take the powers so they can study them in an attempt to create their own.

I also have to question Disney's logic in their buyout of PR and their stance regarding Forver Red. If they bough PR solely to show reruns, they'd just be advertising old toys. Which is supposedly the same reason they balked at funding a 2-parter featuring older Rangers and Zords. So if they didn't want to promote old toys, why did they plan to just show reruns? For that matter, why buy a show in the first place if reruns is all you're going to show?

Last edited by jaguarranger; March 25th, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
jaguarranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:56 PM #31
> XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2
Power Ranger

XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2
Power Ranger

jaguarranger wrote: View Post

Just wanted to reiterate how awesome these reviews/retrospectives are and how awesome you are for doing them, Linkara. I've been re-watching them the last few days.

I just finished re-watching your Wild Force review, and the clips you showed reminded me just how great a villain Master Org really was. I loved Wild Force when it aired but haven't seen it since, after watching this review I want to go and rewatch it again. I also have a possible explanation for why Taylor let people believe she was dead: she was an active duty Air Force Officer, and had she shown back up at the base with Ranger powers, this would have potentially created an immense conflict of interest. With the world in danger, she couldn't afford to be torn between her Ranger duties and Air Force responsibilities. There's also the possibility of a power-hungry officer trying to take the powers so they can study them in an attempt to create their own.

I also have to question Disney's logic in their buyout of PR and their stance regarding Forver Red. If they bough PR solely to show reruns, they'd just be advertising old toys. Which is supposedly the same reason they balked at funding a 2-parter featuring older Rangers and Zords. So if they didn't want to promote old toys, why did they plan to just show reruns? For that matter, why buy a show in the first place if reruns is all you're going to show?
Power Rangers was a popular franchise. Kids liked to watch it. Put it on the air, sell commercials, make money.

Making new episodes involved investing more money into the franchise. Investing money involves risk.

Reruns are a low-risk, low-reward option. Make money for minimal input.
XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:03 PM #32
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Disney bought all of Fox Kids, it wasn't in their goals to have power rangers it just came with the package. People in the production of the show kept pushing them to continue so they did on a slashed budget.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:08 PM #33
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

For that matter, why buy a show in the first place if reruns is all you're going to show?
Disney never wanted Power Rangers. They wanted Fox Kids, and Power Rangers was part of the deal. They made Wild Force because they thought it would make them money (I don't have a source for this, but I can almost assure you that Bandai prodded them to give PR a shot, hence the toy-centric mindset). Wild Force didn't make the kind of money they wanted for their investment in it, so they canceled the show. One week later, they were convinced to uncancel it when some of the creative team suggested they move production to New Zealand, which was considerably cheaper.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM #34
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner

jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner

Wait a second. Disney bought Fox Kids? I thought it was just Saban.
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:12 PM #35
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Wait a second. Disney bought Fox Kids? I thought it was just Saban.
Saban owned it, was sold to Disney. Fox Kids/Family is now known as ABC Family.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:14 PM #36
> DiEnd
true, true

32 eBay
DiEnd
true, true

32 eBay

kuhan;4321641
Yeah, we've also got a [URL="http://www.RangerBoard.com/showthread.php?t=146291&page=5"
wrote:
RangerBoard thread[/URL] and you can go straight to the episode here.
You'd have a pretty good show if you could get that one guy to shut the hell up sometime. He keeps interrupting with his fucking sentai KNOWLEDGEZ, which would be fine, if he didn't do it every 15 seconds.
DiEnd is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:22 PM #37
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

King DiEnd wrote: View Post

You'd have a pretty good show if you could get that one guy to shut the hell up sometime. He keeps interrupting with his fucking sentai KNOWLEDGEZ, which would be fine, if he didn't do it every 15 seconds.
I didn't have as much of a problem with the interruptions as I did with the speed of his delivery. I don't know which of you it is that talks so fast, but for the benefit of the listener, you really need to make a conscious effort to slow yourself down. It is the single biggest problem with your podcast.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:28 PM #38
> DiEnd
true, true

32 eBay
DiEnd
true, true

32 eBay

Yupp. It's an erratic interruption that just ruins the listeners focus when one person is talking & making a point and then you get a guy who just INTERJECTS with this inane rambling.
DiEnd is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM #39
> DJ1107
Banned

DJ1107
Banned

So Linkara's past Dark Wish now....I never liked that 3 parter...
DJ1107 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM #40
> jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner

jaguarranger
Proud Wii U owner

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Saban owned it, was sold to Disney. Fox Kids/Family is now known as ABC Family.
Holy shit, I never knew Saban owned Fox Kids!

Tags
a very defensive linkara, defensive everyone, don't ask, half assed era, he!!! is not a god, linkara mad, linkara smash!, megaforce > linkara, megaforce > samurai, megaforce vs overdrive, mystic force sucks too, neo neo neo neo neo zeo?, piss poor pronunciation, samurai is the worst, what the hell is a neo?