Home Menu

Menu

Old May 19th, 2019, 09:08 PM #821
> Bread
Part of that world

Bread
Part of that world

That was just about the best ending that we could have gotten after the past couple seasons, in my opinion. S8E3-5 werenít great, but I donít think this season was a total loss. What a ride this show has been, and Iím glad I was there to witness it.

Sansa has been my ride or die for years, so Iím pleased.
Bread is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 09:56 PM #822
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

I'm so happy right now, I've said for years that
Sansa would restore the north as an independent kingdom and be its queen, it just made too much sense for that to be her arc with her originally being the one who wanted to get away from there.

It was a good finale, a bit rushed and there are some minor things I'm not 100% happy with but it mostly worked.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 11:23 PM #823
> thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

I read the leak yesterday of the plot summary and it played out exactly as it stated.
Initially when I was reading it, I thought "great... another last jedi, subversion of expectations to get something you would never have ever guessed". But it did play out better on screen than on paper.

The question is though, if Bran never told Jon about his heritage and he ended up with dany, would she have chosen to rule by fear?? And if she wouldn't have, was Bran's master plan to get to the throne??
Obviously, not intentionally and she probably would still go crazy but " why do you think I came all this way?"
thunderzordpower is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 11:34 PM #824
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

So Arya discovered the Aztecs?

Also, more interested to see how other shows react.
Adara.2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 07:12 AM #825
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower wrote: View Post

I read the leak yesterday of the plot summary and it played out exactly as it stated.
Initially when I was reading it, I thought "great... another last jedi, subversion of expectations to get something you would never have ever guessed". But it did play out better on screen than on paper.

The question is though, if Bran never told Jon about his heritage and he ended up with dany, would she have chosen to rule by fear?? And if she wouldn't have, was Bran's master plan to get to the throne??
Obviously, not intentionally and she probably would still go crazy but " why do you think I came all this way?"
While we're doing what ifs, does Sansa go to that little summit with some expectation that she will be named Queen of the Seven Kingdoms? And if they had named her would she have refused and attempted to make the North its own kingdom anyway. It kind of felt like that was her own little "thrones" power move there. You named my brother King? Great. This is my chance to be Queen of something".

A few questions that the ending raised for me...

OK, so Bran is chosen to be King of the 6 kingdoms. It doesn't matter to anyone that he's no longer technically even a citizen of the realm once Sansa declares the north an independent kingdom?

How do the mechanics of the Nights Watch even work anymore? Do both the
North and the 6K send people to serve on the NW? The North is between the 6K and the NW so what is to stop people from the 6K just disappearing into the North after being sentenced?

On top of that, what is even the point of the NW anymore? The White Walkers are gone. The Wildlings aren't the assholes that everyone thought they were and it seems very likely that Jon is now their king. What exactly is the NW protecting the North/6K from? Seems like a pretty relaxing punishment at this point.

I also have a pretty hard time buying that Grey Worm would be cool with the arrangement that was made. Neither Tyrion nor Jon is executed. Tyrion takes up the same position he held for Dany. Jon is "sentenced" to go spend his life "serving" a pointless job in a separate kingdom. Even if Grey Worm believed that Sansa would enforce Jon's sentence, he still has the ability to become the Lord Commander of the NW or just disappear beyond the wall (which is now relatively safe without the WW. Doesn't seem like much of a punishment to me....
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:22 AM #826
> Bread
Part of that world

Bread
Part of that world

cleanuphtr15 wrote: View Post

While we're doing what ifs, does Sansa go to that little summit with some expectation that she will be named Queen of the Seven Kingdoms? And if they had named her would she have refused and attempted to make the North its own kingdom anyway. It kind of felt like that was her own little "thrones" power move there. You named my brother King? Great. This is my chance to be Queen of something".

A few questions that the ending raised for me...

OK, so Bran is chosen to be King of the 6 kingdoms. It doesn't matter to anyone that he's no longer technically even a citizen of the realm once Sansa declares the north an independent kingdom?

How do the mechanics of the Nights Watch even work anymore? Do both the
North and the 6K send people to serve on the NW? The North is between the 6K and the NW so what is to stop people from the 6K just disappearing into the North after being sentenced?

On top of that, what is even the point of the NW anymore? The White Walkers are gone. The Wildlings aren't the assholes that everyone thought they were and it seems very likely that Jon is now their king. What exactly is the NW protecting the North/6K from? Seems like a pretty relaxing punishment at this point.

I also have a pretty hard time buying that Grey Worm would be cool with the arrangement that was made. Neither Tyrion nor Jon is executed. Tyrion takes up the same position he held for Dany. Jon is "sentenced" to go spend his life "serving" a pointless job in a separate kingdom. Even if Grey Worm believed that Sansa would enforce Jon's sentence, he still has the ability to become the Lord Commander of the NW or just disappear beyond the wall (which is now relatively safe without the WW. Doesn't seem like much of a punishment to me....
There is no NW, it was a ruse by the Starks/Tyrion to be able to get Jon off with no punishment and send him where he was happiest, with the Free Folk
Bread is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 09:58 AM #827
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Bread wrote: View Post

There is no NW, it was a ruse by the Starks/Tyrion to be able to get Jon off with no punishment and send him where he was happiest, with the Free Folk
There clearly is still a Night's Watch.

I think there's probably some validity to the second part of your comment - the Starks and Tyrion likely knew there was a distinct possibility that Jon would just go permanently "ranging" once he reached the wall.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:00 AM #828
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Avoid CBR if you haven't seen the finale yet (i.e., if you're in Europe)! They have a headline giving away the ending. It airs in the UK at 9pm tonight.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 11:11 AM #829
> FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

It can be watched already with NOW TV.
FerrousMaelstrom is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 11:13 AM #830
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Avoid CBR if you haven't seen the finale yet (i.e., if you're in Europe)! They have a headline giving away the ending. It airs in the UK at 9pm tonight.
Wonder how many people stayed up for the 2Am Simulcast
toejammer is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 01:12 PM #831
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

I'm sure some did, but some people might have had to get up early for work, and thus would have to wait for it to air tonight.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 06:10 PM #832
> Zeo-Gold92
'Consequences'

Zeo-Gold92
'Consequences'

Yeah this was the best we could hope for based on with how things had been progressing. It wasn't perfect and probably not how I would have liked it to end. I honestly had no idea how I would like it to have ended. This will do though.
Zeo-Gold92 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 09:57 PM #833
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

That was just bland. That's my biggest problem with the finale, it just felt so bland and without any tension or drama.
Everything that happens you see coming, and then there's no tension over the consequence, because it just plays it so safe. Everyone gets a happy ending of some kind, except Grey Worm. He just gets left in a lurch and leaves town in the end, doesn't even get a proper sense of justice out of the whole thing because the second he leaves there's no reason Jon would have to stay or even actually go to the Wall. Hell, Jon just keeps riding north anyway, so that wasn't really a punishment either.

Also, what happened to the Dothraki? The Unsullied set sail, but where are the Dothraki? Are they just roaming Westeros now? Isn't Jon their new leader by their alpha pack based law of leadership now?

Why even be the Six kingdoms if the North is just going to say "Nah sorry, we're staying independent but hey have my brother most of you other lords have no concept of what a three eyed raven is or what we actually went through in the war with the night king so the entire idea Bran is actually magic is meaningless to you, especially without any Weirwood trees down here." Wouldn't it have made sense just to dissolve into separate nation states at that point? Dorne already is anyway.

It was all just so easily packaged up and sent off like they didn't even want to try any risks at the end, they just wanted to be done.

Arya's ending makes sense if you consider the idea she's got to always be on the run from the Faceless Men now. Of course she'd go west of westeros to explore, no faceless there. Without acknowledging that though, it kind of feels like as blunt of a "We don't know what to do with her" as possible.

Looking at this season with the context the showrunners pitched that Confederate show a while back makes things seem more awkward but make more sense coming from those guys now.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 12:50 PM #834
> FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

This almost felt like a post-script episode, despite the fact that a major character died. The pacing was WEIRD.
FerrousMaelstrom is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 12:53 PM #835
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Looking at this season with the context the showrunners pitched that Confederate show a while back makes things seem more awkward but make more sense coming from those guys now.
I'm confused: What does Confederate have to do with anything?
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:30 PM #836
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

I'm confused: What does Confederate have to do with anything?
I just thought it was a funny coincidence they were so into that concept, and just killed off or shipped off every character of color in the end of this show. Like I'm not going to say it means anything, but it looks funny in context.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 05:51 PM #837
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Kit Harington 'checked into a luxury rehab facility in Connecticut for stress and alcohol ahead of the Game of Thrones finale'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ility-GoT.html

The end of the long-running HBO hit series reportedly struck Harington hard.

He went from virtual unknown to world stardom following his role in the series, in which he played the role of the courageous Snow, whose actions in the final episode were one of the show's biggest shockers.

The finale attracted a record 19.3 million viewers in the U.S. alone.

He has been open in interviews during the long-running series about how the show has affected him and catapulted him to fame.
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 09:04 AM #838
> MJ Parker
This is good...isn't it?

MJ Parker
This is good...isn't it?

I'm surprised this hasn't shown up here...

Spoiler

Obviously not a genuine series - but a follow up set in the far future of Westeros (akin to our present) would be interesting
MJ Parker is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 04:07 AM #839
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Benioff and Weiss have pulled out of San Diego Comic Con

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-game-of-...-ab-1836466574
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 03:55 PM #840
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

... were they worried about copping too much crap for the final series?

From this and other things, they sound a little high-maintenance, don't they?
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
everyone dies, my big fat purple wedding, pain and tears, red wedding crashers