Home Menu

Menu

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:58 AM #61
> Big_Pun
Banned

Big_Pun
Banned

I would have to disagree. Daenerys and her story are one of my favorite parts of the whole series. Dany's story is clearly supposed to be a dual journey. Not only is it her physical journey to Westeros (her ultimate destination), but it's also her journey from a timid little girl to a powerful, conquering khaleesi intent on taking what is hers while still remaining sympathetic and approachable to the people who are in the same position she once was; in essence, her journey to becoming a great leader.

Honestly, I'm surprised you don't like it. Most of the people I know who read the books think Dany's story is one of the most interesting of all the characters, right up there with the Starks and Tyrion.

Luchinni wrote: View Post

~sexually-charged snip~
I don't even know how to properly address this. The fact that your interest in a character or storyline revolves around how much they're naked on-screen is absolutely ridiculous. Not only that, but clearly you need to go back and re-watch the beginning of the season, because there was a lot more going on with her than just looking for her dragons.

Not only is she dealing with the emotional, physical, and psychological damage of losing both her husband and son back-to-back, there's also the fact that she was abandoned by nearly everyone in herkhalasar after Drogo died, only his bloodriders and the very old/weak staying with her, yet she perseveres and leads them to Qarth against the worst of odds. She's also learning to accept her place as the Mother of Dragons and "rightful heir" to the Iron Throne, while bonding with the very dragons she plans to use to take back Westeros for House Targaryen.

So, yeah...you're points really aren't valid at all.

Last edited by Big_Pun; June 6th, 2012 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Had to address ridiculous post
Big_Pun is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:04 AM #62
> peas_and_corn
StringTheory.tv

peas_and_corn
StringTheory.tv

I suppose the biggest problem I have is why does she want to rule Westeros? She has already mentioned that it was more of her brother's quest to retake his father's throne. She has no real connection to what she's supposedly wanting to take, so what is her motivation in this quest?
peas_and_corn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 02:24 AM #63
> Big_Pun
Banned

Big_Pun
Banned

She wants it because its hers. What other connection does she need? That's the whole point of her marriage to Drogo and the aftermath of his death. George RR Martin put her in that relationship and then killed her husband because of what it would do to her as a person. Because of Drogo, she learned to be strong. When it was just her and Viserys, she really had nothing. Her entire life was predicated on her brother. With Drogo, it was different. The girl in episode 1 would have thrown up two bites into eating that horse heart later on in the season.

She also learned what it felt like to be a queen when she was with Drogo, to have people respect and love and obey you. Viserys always talked about how he was "the dragon" but in reality, it was Dany all along. But it took losing her husband and son for that to come out, which it did when she burned that sorceress and hatched the dragons.
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:39 AM #64
> Bread
Part of that world

Bread
Part of that world

So has anyone read the comics or played the game. Also on a sidenote I do know quite a few people watching for the nudity. Yeah it is stupid and not really the point but if it keeps the show going just as long as it doesn't become the focal point hey........
Bread is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:19 AM #65
> Luchinni
Minority Ranger Ethusiast

Luchinni
Minority Ranger Ethusiast

Although I was serious about it being my least favorite storyline, that whole lack of Dany nudity rant was more an attempt to make you guys laugh. Clearly my humor didn't translate that well so Big Pun, if I offended you enough for you to have to address my "ridiculous" post, or anyone else, I apologize. Really. Totally my bad.

Comicgeek, I've read the first graphic novel and from what my roommate told me it follows the book pretty closely, in terms of what actually happens. It goes in a linear-sense like the show, but in terms of every character getting their own chapter first (like in the books), it doesn't do that. The art's pretty cool, and it's a full-on adult graphic novel with swearing and nudity, etc. Worth picking up for sure.
Luchinni is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:40 AM #66
> Bread
Part of that world

Bread
Part of that world

I have a couple issues might pick up some more.
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM #67
> Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Board game, which is amazing. Heard the RPG wasn't very good (and I don't have a system for it), but the board game (second edition is what I have), well worth it, if you have people who like strategy games.
Sir Koji is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:12 PM #68
> POTS251
Power Ranger

POTS251
Power Ranger

ok, quick question, who has the largest army ?
POTS251 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:50 PM #69
> Big_Pun
Banned

Big_Pun
Banned

Well, obviously that would be Joffrey, which by extension means House Lannister. But if you're just talking about individual houses without the king's armies at their disposal, it's still probably House Lannister or maybe House Tyrell; the Starks and Baratheons both have pretty substantial armies as well, but I don't think they're nearly as big as the other two.
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:10 AM #70
> POTS251
Power Ranger

POTS251
Power Ranger

Big_Pun wrote: View Post

Well, obviously that would be Joffrey, which by extension means House Lannister. But if you're just talking about individual houses without the king's armies at their disposal, it's still probably House Lannister or maybe House Tyrell; the Starks and Baratheons both have pretty substantial armies as well, but I don't think they're nearly as big as the other two.
from watching the show, I got the feeling that the Lannisters were rich, but not necessarily powerful(never read the books). They seemed genuinely scared of Stannis and his army.
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:22 AM #71
> POTS251
Power Ranger

POTS251
Power Ranger

Big_Pun wrote: View Post

from watching the show, I got the feeling that the Lannisters were rich, but not necessarily powerful(never read the books). They seemed genuinely scared of Stannis and his army.
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:16 AM #72
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Before the last two episodes, I think Stannis most definitely had the most men. Then a giant portion of them were blown up by the wildfire attack. If not for that trick, I think the Lannisters would have been destroyed. Even with the coming reinforcements, it would have been a horrific battle.
Multiple Man is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 07:25 AM #73
> Bread
Part of that world

Bread
Part of that world

I get the feeling they aren't taking Rob too seriously. They know he is a threat but I just don't think they take him that serious.
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:36 AM #74
> POTS251
Power Ranger

POTS251
Power Ranger

comicgeek wrote: View Post

I get the feeling they aren't taking Rob too seriously. They know he is a threat but I just don't think they take him that serious.
i get that same feeling, when Tywin was talking to his Bannermen, he didnt really fear him, he more or less said he got lucky in 3 battles.
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:17 PM #75
> Bread
Part of that world

Bread
Part of that world

Which is true but I do believe that Robb is a force to be reckoned with. I think the lanisters will be in for a nasty shock.
Old June 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM #76
> Big_Pun
Banned

Big_Pun
Banned

I don't think Robb got lucky, per se. At least not in the truest sense. Robb learned from his father, a man who, even in his brief appearance in the series, showed himself to be perhaps the greatest leader in all of Westeros. If I'm not mistaken, even King Robert said that Ned should have been the one to take the throne. So, it's not far fetched to assume that Robb inherited his father's leadership skills: building morale, the proper way to treat his men, battle strategy, etc.

Robb's real luck comes from the fact that, when Ned died, Robb inherited the huge strength of the North. He went to war with 18,000 men and there would have been more, but the vast expanse of the North, the weather, and the rough terrain makes it more difficult to gather forces together as quickly as they could in other parts of Westeros.
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:46 PM #77
> Bread
Part of that world

Bread
Part of that world

I just can't wait to see what happens to the war when winter does come.
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM #78
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

comicgeek wrote: View Post

So has anyone read the comics or played the game. Also on a sidenote I do know quite a few people watching for the nudity. Yeah it is stupid and not really the point but if it keeps the show going just as long as it doesn't become the focal point hey........
I remember showing my stepbrother the first episode, back when he had never even heard of the books, and he was counting the number of exposed breasts he saw in the episode. He did end up getting into it for more than the breasts (and has even reached the point of having read all five books while I'm still on "A Feast for Crows", despite never liking books), but that was the initial hook for him.
Crow T. Robot is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM #79
> Bread
Part of that world

Bread
Part of that world

yeah and it was for me but by half way through the first episode I realized how amazing it was w/o nudity.
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM #80
> Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

For the army discussion, I think the breakdown from the show, along with some guesses based on context, was something like:

Lannister/Baratheon of King's Landing: combined would probably be 60,000, if that, since Baratheon doesn't have much of an army itself. I think Lannister is considered to have around 50,000, at least with Tywin, maybe 80,000 overall in the entirety of Westeros
Tyrell: 30,000 were supposedly with Renly, or maybe it was 50,000. I don't recall the guess, based on when Stannis took the rest of his men
Robb: 20,000, at least at the start. But that was Northerners; I don't know if the Tully's and their forces counted towards that number

The Baratheons themselves seem to lack an army. Renly's army was mostly Tyrells, which he married into. We see in the first season that the guards in King's Landing are Lannister; the House Robert married a member of, and Stannis's guards are Florents, since he married a Florent. Though that hasn't really been seen yet.
Sir Koji is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
everyone dies, my big fat purple wedding, pain and tears, red wedding crashers