Home Menu

Menu

Old May 23rd, 2019, 04:30 AM #3781
> sylarking
Power Ranger

sylarking
Power Ranger

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

Ninja Steel was better than Megaforce and Overdrive to me.

Ninja Steel had probably one of the best (if not the best) mentors we've had in Power Rangers, who taught the rangers through helping them arrive at the conclusions themselves using the problems they were going through already that day, rather than outright telling them like most mentors did.

If it didn't have Mick, I'd probably agree Ninja Steel deserved to be labeled as bad as Overdrive and Megaforce. But honestly, to me, Mick saves the season. Add on the fact it had the first female main villain in 18 years, and I can't really HATE hate it. (even if she wasn't the main villain for both seasons)

And the original idea behind the show, that the villains were hosting a game show? That was nice (granted, it was stolen from Zyuohger and they dropped the ball by not using Madam Noir or Emperor Z from ToQ as part of the GameShow staff, and just stuck with Baron with a different head), even if it was mostly dropped a few episodes in. (Yes, they still stuck with it, but that was mainly for show, it was obviously no longer a gameshow, it was just Galvanax wanting the Power Stars, it would've been nice if they actually stuck with the game show aspect, and made it be the goal of the show to destroy the rangers and conquer Earth, not go after the Power Stars)

My main gripe is they never filmed original footage of Hayley and Sarah using the Super Armor.
I think Mick as a mentor is overrated and Madame Odoius may be the first female villain we have in a while but she end up a boring ineffectual villain just like the others in neo-saban era
sylarking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:08 AM #3782
> Orion
Power Ranger

Orion
Power Ranger

Megaforce is worse the Overdrive.

Too many mistakes in execution. How do you seriously expect to use a different Sentai in each half? And then try to make sense of it.

Vrak was certainly the best villain... then you throw everyone into a completely different villain dynamic and try to “explain” who all these Sentai teams are. It’s completely understandable why the fan base wasn’t completely satisfied...

Overdrive gave us fairly annoying characters (expect the Butler). But in Megaforce you get sterilizing acting. You kind of want more from the characters but all you get is that Troy daydreams too much, Emma likes nature and good luck Jake, all you’re getting is a kiss in 44 episodes.

Like I said, Overdrive... at times I honestly wish Dax would stop talking. Didn’t care much for Will and Ronnie and Rose were alright, but I felt like I never got to know them well. Mack was just okay as a leader but it’s funny how the cyborg thing played out. Oh no, he’s not... HUMAN!

Another contrast is your team up. “Once A Ranger” was actually pretty good. While the whole Thrax storyline was kind of off the wall, we had some great heroes back. Who cares if it looks bad (on behalf of our heroes) it was a better execution in the end. The Legendary Battle leaves a lot to be desired. It’s more about what wasn’t done that could have been...

Last edited by Orion; May 23rd, 2019 at 06:26 AM.
Orion is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:11 AM #3783
> ⚡Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay
Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay

Had it not been for Victor and Monty, Ninja Steel would be regarded more highly. How much more I can't say...
Lord Buttus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 11:44 AM #3784
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

TeraMan wrote: View Post

Me personally? The latter.

It's one thing to not try at all since, well, of COURSE it's going to be bad. When has something that was lazily done ever turned out to be unironically good? But to try and to fail miserably? That takes a special kind of un-talent to pull off.

I not only do not subscribe to the notion of "boring bad = the WORST bad", I think that makes absolutely no sense. Being bored is at least a more pleasant experience versus being infuriated.
So much this. I mean I'll never sat Megaforce and Ninja Steel are good seasons but they also didn't piss me off at every turn like Overdrive did.
SonicBlueRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 12:01 PM #3785
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

I'll have to go back and revisit NSt from start to finish one of these days, but was Mick really that good of a mentor, or is it just our love of Kelson that propelled the character above the others? Maybe it was just the bad plots surrounding everyone else - Sarah steals alien tech to boost her hoverboard skills to trump Victor in the race, only to be told by Mick that it's wrong; Sarah clones herself and gets told by Mick that it's wrong; Calvin drops out of school to pursue a mechanic career, only to be told by Mick that it's wrong - but Mick didn't stick out that much to me, except for leaving between seasons and magically coming back for what seemed like no reason at all. Again, I might be cloudy on a few key plot points that I might not be remembering properly, but I remember Sensei - AS A GUINEA PIG - being more of a mentor to his Ninja team than Mick was. Shoot, I remember Kelly offering up more advice to Dustin and Shane, and she was a tertiary character!

That being said, Gosei does win the award for Least Mentor-y Mentor, hands down. Perhaps the show should recruit the almighty JDF to have Tommy Oliver lead a new team of Rangers and hog the spotlight for 44 episodes in an all-NZ season wherein a new team gets each of his power sets and, when one of them undoubtedly can't make the battle each week, he gets to fill in for reasons... Ooh, and the sixth Ranger there? Ninja Mode Tommy Oliver, complete with the Klan outfit and all! "WHITE RANGER POWER!"

... Anyway, it'll be interesting to sit down and watch an installment of HoPR again. It's been awhile since I sat down and watched one (I think Wild Force was the last... or whichever one had the opening commentary about how impatient we've been), and I'd like to see his opinions on Calvin and Hayley.
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 03:23 PM #3786
> Orion
Power Ranger

Orion
Power Ranger

I wouldn’t have anybody but Kelson portraying Mick.

Good mentor... best since Dr. K. I wouldn’t say the best ever by any means.
Orion is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 04:23 PM #3787
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Orion wrote: View Post

I wouldn’t have anybody but Kelson portraying Mick.

Good mentor... best since Dr. K. I wouldn’t say the best ever by any means.
Pretty much this.
AkaGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:26 PM #3788
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

MegaBlue wrote: View Post

I'll have to go back and revisit NSt from start to finish one of these days, but was Mick really that good of a mentor, or is it just our love of Kelson that propelled the character above the others?
I don't regard Kelson as any more important than any other actor on Power Rangers, or any better than any other actor. I genuinely think Mick was a great character.

As I said, I liked the fact that unlike pretty much any other mentor in Power Rangers, he used the scenarios the rangers found themselves struggling with that day to teach them, and helped them reach the conclusion on their own. In your examples, he didn't outright TELL them they were wrong. He asked if they believed it was right, etc. and made them question the ethics (in Sarah's case) or if he believed it was smart (in Calvin's case), etc. and made them question things, and reach the conclusion on their own. That's why I liked Mick.

He didn't force his own ideals on the rangers, he made them evaluate their own actions with their own mind, and reach a decision on their own.

He didn't hold their hand or tell them what to do. He made them realize the answers were something they could reach by themselves if they tried.

When you compare him to people like Dimitria who only answered the rangers in questions or even Dr. K (who I do love) but never really helped the rangers with their problems because she distanced herself from them, he was honestly an amazing mentor. Even Doggie had his issues. He either outright told them what was wrong (like the multitude of episodes where he outright told them they were wrong to charge into battle) or didn't help them at all (like the whole asking Sky about why he thinks he should be the Red Ranger at the start of SPD, he never really helped him figure that out, or help him grow. Sky was forced to learn that on his own. Yes, he eventually did, but a good mentor would help him learn.)

Andrew Grey could have portrayed Mick, and it would have been the same, as long as the dialogue was the same.

Mick genuinely saved Ninja Steel for me. I stand by my statement he was one of, if not the best mentor we've had in Power Rangers. He also never forced the rangers to do anything against their will.

And when it came to be his time to help defend the world, he did it without question. He jumped right into being a ranger, even if temporarily. Not to mention, after returning to his family he had been away from for most likely decades, he returned without question when he found out Odious had survived, even though he knew the rangers had Redbot and could probably handle things without him.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 05:54 AM #3789
> zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

zjranger

Frankly, comparing "worst seasons" seem useless at times, seeing you're comparing a zero to a zero. As long as a season is in a particular threshold for a viewer, I think it's enough for them to keep watching. That being said for some reason Ninja Steel irritates me the most because probably of the wasted opportunities they had in order to make a solid season. I remembering some of Overdrive and that at least had characters who felt like people and not ones that are just going to be fit in the story.
zjranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 08:29 PM #3790
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

So for those that follow him on Twitterpatted, he's been posting stuff about Ninja Steel. Think of these as the pre-show or warm up, because oh boy this is gonna be fun.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 01:25 AM #3791
> Linkara
Power Ranger

Linkara
Power Ranger

Also, might as well ask: do we have any information about why Chantz Simpson left the show after the announcement? I've seen some speculation that Saban may have wanted to avoid another Trini situation since he was Asian-Pacific Islander, but I can't find any confirmation one way or another why it happened.
Linkara is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 01:36 AM #3792
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Nothing official. Just speculation, mostly about there possibly being Visa issues last I heard.

I've never once heard anyone suggest anything regarding the possibly "Trini situation." Disney obviously didn't have an issue casting Benta as the Black Ranger in Overdrive.

EDIT: It did seem to be amicable whatever happened though. Chantz never said anything negative about Saban on social media (unlike some actors), and he went about his life like normal. So I imagine it was something that couldn't be avoided whatever it was, which is why I think most people assume it was a visa thing.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 12:39 PM #3793
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

I love that Linkara likes Victor for the exact reason a lot of people don't. Because he's delightfully over the top.

This will be a fun review all things considered.
Old May 31st, 2019, 01:39 PM #3794
> zjranger

zjranger

I like OTT humor as long as it is within the "universe's rules", which I feel Ben & Betty's skits do...at least most of the time (it's still not explained how they shot up so high when their Morph-X Bikes were hit hehe).
zjranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 02:46 PM #3795
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

zjranger wrote: View Post

I like OTT humor as long as it is within the "universe's rules", which I feel Ben & Betty's skits do...at least most of the time (it's still not explained how they shot up so high when their Morph-X Bikes were hit hehe).
I guess the difference with me is I don't really care if the comedy characters break from reality. I mean really since when has Power Rangers had consistent...anything really.
Old May 31st, 2019, 03:40 PM #3796
> OhStarryNight
Power Ranger

OhStarryNight
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger wrote: View Post

I love that Linkara likes Victor for the exact reason a lot of people don't. Because he's delightfully over the top.
I suppose statistically speaking, somebody has to...

I'm glad he's having fun with it. I can imagine that enjoying Victor's schtick would drastically increase one's enjoyment of Ninja Steel.
OhStarryNight is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 03:50 PM #3797
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

This will be a fun review all things considered.
Yeah, even if I don't agree, I'm interested to hear his full opinion on things. Should be a good watch.
AkaGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 03:56 PM #3798
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

When is the Ninja Steel review supposed to be out again?
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 04:03 PM #3799
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

I guess the difference with me is I don't really care if the comedy characters break from reality. I mean really since when has Power Rangers had consistent...anything really.
Cartoon humor like that is something Power Rangers doesn't do much. It can be funny if done right. Victor and Monty falling down a hole doesn't really constitute as a joke to me. Neither is Monty's dangerous gas which was actually one of the show's few running plot-lines.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 31st, 2019, 04:18 PM #3800
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

When is the Ninja Steel review supposed to be out again?
Either today or tomorrow
maslego is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
a very defensive linkara, defensive everyone, don't ask, half assed era, he!!! is not a god, linkara mad, linkara smash!, megaforce > linkara, megaforce > samurai, megaforce vs overdrive, mystic force sucks too, neo neo neo neo neo zeo?, piss poor pronunciation, samurai is the worst, what the hell is a neo?