Home Menu

Menu

Old June 24th, 2016, 12:44 AM #1
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Brexit Wins-The UK Vote to Leave The EU

David Cameron has resigned as Prime Minister, but will stay on until the Conservative party conference as October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/eu_referendum
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:51 AM #2
> SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

I saw this (well, the result, not Cameron) nearly three hours ago now. I'm still in shock.

There is no way this is good. It does not end well.
SanityOrMadness is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:53 AM #3
> MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

So, uh, how screwed are we?

Recession screwed or Mad Max screwed?
MerCurryMeme is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:55 AM #4
> SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

MerCurrySoul wrote: View Post

Given some of the Leave campaigning ("BREAKING POINT", anyone?), I'm not prepared to rule out the latter...
SanityOrMadness is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 04:03 AM #5
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

MerCurrySoul wrote: View Post

As somebody who's not even from the same planetary hemisphere as you, I'm glad this thread is happening, because I'm most interested in hearing opinions from people actually living in the UK, you know?

In the Australian media today, it seemed like a lot of scare-mongering and, "The sky is falling!" responses.

So, what you guys are saying is, yes, it is that bad?
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:00 AM #6
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

If Boris or Osborne succeeds Cameron, they might as well write off the next election.

Scotland and Ireland voted to remain. The best case scenario is Scotland may get another independence referendum.
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:11 AM #7
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

This is silly, I have no idea why so many people voted to leave. If the UK wants to continue trading with the EU they'll still have to follow the EU regulations, that doesn't change just because you're not a member.
If the UK gets the good deal they want the EU will dictate the terms and it will end with the UK still implementing EU laws despite not being a member.

However, it's more likely the EU will not give them a good deal, they don't want to encourage other countries to leave. "Get out of the EU but still get access to all of the benefits of a free market etc." is not the message they want to send.

Many banks have already indicated that they'll leave London and move buisiness to Paris or Frankfurt and I can see many ither companies relocating as well, it just makes more sense to be based inside the EU.

England fucked itself with this vote and it could very well be the end if the UK, if Northern Ireland leaves the UK is dissolved and if Scotland votes for independence it will be the end of Great Britain. Both of those scenarios are quite likely because both Northern Ireland and Scotland want to remain part of the EU.

The smartest thing the government could do is to ignore the referendum and tell the leave camp to suck it.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:18 AM #8
> ⚡Toast
J U S T I C E

Toast
J U S T I C E

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, due to the Political Discussion rule. I believe with how big the news is, it's worth seeing how discussion goes. There's a big chunk of UK and European members here.

Keep it civil and things should be okay.
Pepper wrote: View Post

The smartest thing the government could do is to ignore the referendum and tell the leave camp to suck it.
I don't agree with the outcome but that would be the worst thing to do, as it would only causing an uprising and countless riots.
Toast is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:20 AM #9
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Toast wrote: View Post

I don't agree with the outcome but that would be the worst thing to do, as it would only causing an uprising and countless riots.
And as an example of this, Two words: Tuition Fees.
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:31 AM #10
> Raiden
Banned

Raiden
Banned

Pepper wrote: View Post

This is silly, I have no idea why so many people voted to leave.
For one theres average joe, who cannot get work in his own country because companies can hire workers from europe through agencies which means they can get a full work force and pay sub-minimum wage to save money thus cutting out the need for the countries natives. I know this first hand by working with them, and then by not being able to get my job back because it was filled. Joe may also not like that every year you would need to build a city the size of Newcastle to house all the immigrants thats come in to the country. We also are one of the largest contributors towards EU's funding which means Billions of £ we dont need to worry about handing out anymore.

Trading isnt going to change, its a 2 way street. And EU should encourage other countries to leave Europe because they crippled themselves once they introduced the Euro and used it as an excuse to stealth raise the prices on everything which is why within 6 months in some countries they went from street parties to Riots once people realised they could no longer pay for bread and sugar.

Theres more reasons i could add but theres a reason everybody votes in a private booth so they dont need to get in to it.
Raiden is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 02:52 AM #11
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Toast wrote: View Post

The UK is not a direct democracy, the referendum is non-binding. If there had been a clear majority one way or the other (60% for example) I'd say parliament should respect the people and vote as they did. In this case there's only a slight majority and parliament should do what's best for the country and in my opinion that's staying in the EU.

Potential uprisings and riots shouldn't matter, a government cannot make decisions based on that especially because there'll be unrest anyway, half of the country will be pissed of no matter what.

Raiden wrote: View Post

For one theres average joe, who cannot get work in his own country because companies can hire workers from europe through agencies which means they can get a full work force and pay sub-minimum wage to save money thus cutting out the need for the countries natives.
The "foreigners taking our jobs" argument is older than the EU, for some industries it is true that they loke to hire foreign workers but that is not the foreigners fault, blame the companies, not the people looking for a better life.
Theoretically you could keep foreigners out of the country but that will not suddenly make the companies stop looking for ways to maximize profits. They'll just hire Britons who are willing to work for lower wages, or they cut jobs to stay competetive if they have to pay highter wages, some might even move production to another country and eliminate jobs in the UK entirely.

Trading isnt going to change, ...
Possibly, but for it not to change the UK would have to sign treaties, arrange trade agreements etc. and all of that would mean following EU laws and regulations, it could also mean keeping the borders open. You won't be free from the EU just because you leave, not if you want access to its markets the same way you do now.
But I still think it's more likely the EU will make an example out of the UK, they won't get a good deal. The UK needs the EU more than the EU needs the UK, not that losing the UK doesn't hurt, but europe cannot afford to treat the UK with kid gloves, doing that could hurt the union irreparably.

And about the billions the UK gave to the EU? So what? They got more out of it than they spend, access to the free market being the most obvious. Do you think germany for example pumps billions of euros into other countries out of the goodness of their hearts? That's pure self interest, germany profits from the EU like crazy even while spending billions and taking in refugees, a single market, hundreds of millions of people to sell to without restrictions ...
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:39 AM #12
> Kai
Kiss my Chuddies!

Kai
Kiss my Chuddies!

We're fucked, unless this Exit is the smoothes, most gentle thing ever - which will genuinely involve us changing *nothing* apart from some EU trade laws.

Let's look at it from a healthcare point of view - the NHS is about to collapse as it is. This is the final straw. You voted for this, you've broken your NHS. Look forward to insurance, co-pays and waiting just as long for me to see you, except this time you've gotta pay me £30 premium.

Or perhaps a culture point of view? Although I suspect noone is really interested in this.

Economics? We've wiped 10bn off our economy overnight. Our currency is at its lowest point for 30 years. Banks have already declared that they're not interested in working with us if we leave. There's no point hoping companies will be hiring you now if there's noone with enough free income around to buy the company's products.
I understand that it feels like an unworkable situation, but this is really the wrong way to go about it.
We're going to enter a recession - mild at best, crippling at worst - and the people who are going to come out of it worst are, ironically, the people who voted leave because they're looking for a better future.

So yeah. We're fucked.

And that's why i'm moving to America...
Kai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:49 AM #13
> MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

Kai wrote: View Post

Dude, we're equally as fucked here, man.

Go to Canada, it's the perfect crime!
Old June 24th, 2016, 05:27 AM #14
> RiffRanger
Justice For No One

RiffRanger
Justice For No One

Kai wrote: View Post

We're fucked, unless this Exit is the smoothes, most gentle thing ever - which will genuinely involve us changing *nothing* apart from some EU trade laws.

Let's look at it from a healthcare point of view - the NHS is about to collapse as it is. This is the final straw. You voted for this, you've broken your NHS. Look forward to insurance, co-pays and waiting just as long for me to see you, except this time you've gotta pay me £30 premium.

Or perhaps a culture point of view? Although I suspect noone is really interested in this.

Economics? We've wiped 10bn off our economy overnight. Our currency is at its lowest point for 30 years. Banks have already declared that they're not interested in working with us if we leave. There's no point hoping companies will be hiring you now if there's noone with enough free income around to buy the company's products.
I understand that it feels like an unworkable situation, but this is really the wrong way to go about it.
We're going to enter a recession - mild at best, crippling at worst - and the people who are going to come out of it worst are, ironically, the people who voted leave because they're looking for a better future.

So yeah. We're fucked.

I'd wait until we have our election in November. You don't want to be here if Trump wins and he starts banning everyone he thinks talks funny.

A lot of this is (literally) foreign to me, but it's scary to me that right wing voters can essentially dissolve the United Kingdom overnight. With one vote, they've put the government in shambles and tanked the markets and inspired Scotland and Northern Ireland to discuss independence. It's particularly frightening to me because it's the same crowd over here giving rise to Trump, our very own FŁhrer in the making.
RiffRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:53 AM #15
> Timeline15
Power Ranger

Timeline15
Power Ranger

This is Not going to end well. I can't wait to see what joke of a human rights bill the leave camp try to craft.
Timeline15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 01:57 AM #16
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

When last I checked the news, Boris was being mobbed.

Last edited by Cameron Samurai; June 24th, 2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old June 24th, 2016, 02:19 AM #17
> QuadraRanger
Bliss...

QuadraRanger
Bliss...

And the parodies have already begun.

QuadraRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 02:31 AM #18
> MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

At least there's one thing certain, people can make the best out of the worstest situations.
Old June 24th, 2016, 02:43 AM #19
> kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

The value of the British Pound has already dropped to a 30 year low. Good times ahead?
kainhighwind2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 02:48 AM #20
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

Being from gun slinging America, is it the type of people who voted out the rural, slightly probably less educated people who don't want "rules" and "government" watching them? Here in the USA, I can imagine one party losing their shit if Mexico and Canada we apart of a NAU?
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
brexit, insanity wins, nero fiddled as rome fell