88 40.74%
Votes: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 1st, 2019, 11:22 AM #161
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Visser Three wrote: View Post

All this proves is that all of their names suck.
This guy gets it.

Here's a question, if Devon loves video games why doesn't he call Smash Donkey Kong or DK?
Because copyright infringement is a thing.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 1st, 2019, 11:32 AM #162
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Here's a question, if Devon loves video games why doesn't he call Smash Donkey Kong or DK? If you want to show his supposed gamer traits, then that's how you would go about doing it.
Same reason he doesn't talk about real video games. Copyrights. You're acting like BM is the only show to skirt around naming famous game IPs when nearly all kids shows do that.

Besides, he has shown "gamer traits." He brings up video games all the time and he's been seen playing his handheld in the background of some scenes. It's all blunted and surface-level, but you can't say they aren't showing he likes video games when they have.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 1st, 2019, 11:47 AM #163
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

Same reason he doesn't talk about real video games. Copyrights. You're acting like BM is the only show to skirt around naming famous game IPs when nearly all kids shows do that.

Besides, he has shown "gamer traits." He brings up video games all the time and he's been seen playing his handheld in the background of some scenes. It's all blunted and surface-level, but you can't say they aren't showing he likes video games when they have.
Eh, if he was a real gamerTM he'd be bitching about how female characters in games don't give him a Boner and that's somehow censorship.
SonicBlueRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 12:37 PM #164
> Visser Three
Power Ranger

Visser Three
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger wrote: View Post

Eh, if he was a real gamerTM he'd be bitching about how female characters in games don't give him a Boner and that's somehow censorship.
Nah, he'd be bitching about EA and lootboxes, and probably streaming himself playing Fortnite.

"Hey it's ya boi Devon, the red ranger! We're playing some Fortnite tonight. Also don't forget to like, subscribe and donate."
Visser Three is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 01:37 PM #165
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

"Hey it's ya boi Devon, the red ranger! We're playing some Fortnite tonight. Also don't forget to like, subscribe and donate."
They're undoubtedly saving that for the Ryusoulger adaptation.
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:02 PM #166
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

I do see the action of taking writing seriously and competently as being written more for adults than kids, so that may just be semantics on my part and I apologize if it's just nitpicking.
I mean, nitpicking's totally allowed. I can admit that a fair amount of my gripes with the show are what a lot of people would consider nitpicks. It's when the nitpicks keep piling up that it becomes less finicky and more an overall problem.

No, I get you think it isn't respecting the older audience, you've been clear on that, and that you like RPM. I meant, specifically, what do you consider respecting the audience? What from RPM would you describe as respect? Just the particular quality level it was able to produce? Was there a specific example you'd define respect by or a specific example you'd define disrespect by in the current season? It'd probably make more sense to me or at least for me to get your perspective if you had that kind of example to go by.
RPM is such a good example of it because it so easily could have gone down the typical Power Rangers route harder than ever before; serious storyline with goofy visuals, but multiplied infinitely by how goofy Go-Onger was most of the time.

Instead, it did something Power Rangers very rarely does (and, as far as I can remember, NEVER does in any of the Saban/Chip-helmed seasons): it showed great self-awareness. It's something Sentai routinely does well; it knows what it is, and it doesn't shy away from it. It knows the suits are cheap looking spandex, and it makes a gag out of it. It knows the zords have big googly anime eyes, and it explains them. It knows how ridiculous inexplicable explosions are, and it makes it a plot point in an episode.

Early Disney did this pretty well, too (namely Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder and SPD) but nothing with the reverence and respect for the intelligence of the audience that Eddie's RPM managed.

Though Chip did RPM too, so that just seems somewhat contradictory. I assume you mean the Eddie parts though, and yeah, I see why that's the bar to aim for. But it does make your other point a bit murky. Replacing staff by itself is not an automatic improvement, but finding people who know the franchise to run the franchise is a good way to do such a change up. Although, going with RPM, it was Chip who took over when Eddie was let go. So if your problem is Chip, that may be the wrong example to use for this scenario.
Later, in that same post, I specified that it was primarily the first half of RPM that stands out to me as the best Power Rangers has been as a show; I've probably made mention of it before. I'm not gonna say it took a nose-dive once Chip took over, but it absolutely took a dip, and it didn't end anywhere near as strongly as it started.

Chip is serviceable at what he does, but so was Tzachor. I've argued before that the two of them together worked much better than apart, for whatever reason.

Though, I meant was there a specific thing in the show you would see improved, either with new showrunners or just wanting existing ones to do something better? Just "new people in charge" sounds really vague otherwise.
Again, the self awareness is such a massive deal. I'm not saying it needs to be a parody of itself, but just elements that show it knows what it is and isn't taking itself so seriously in smart ways that are fun for kids and clever nods for the older fans. The examples given for RPM are a good benchmark for what I mean.

As it stands, it just doesn't seem to get that. Nothing will ever be as glaring as Super Megaforce not acknowledging the incredibly obvious pirate theme, but treating a pedal bike chase as straight and serious as can be rather than poking fun at just how ridiculous it seemed just makes it hard to watch.
JaimeZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:17 PM #167
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

JaimeZeo wrote: View Post

but treating a pedal bike chase as straight and serious as can be rather than poking fun at just how ridiculous it seemed just makes it hard to watch.
I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the fact that they played it serious is exactly why it was fun to watch.

Watching Power Rangers pedal through the streets on bikes chasing a bad guy while the bikes can leap into the air and seeing it played straight? That's stupid, but it was the fun kind of stupid to me.

They may not have even meant it that way, but it worked.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:33 PM #168
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Instead, it did something Power Rangers very rarely does (and, as far as I can remember, NEVER does in any of the Saban/Chip-helmed seasons): it showed great self-awareness. It's something Sentai routinely does well; it knows what it is, and it doesn't shy away from it. It knows the suits are cheap looking spandex, and it makes a gag out of it. It knows the zords have big googly anime eyes, and it explains them. It knows how ridiculous inexplicable explosions are, and it makes it a plot point in an episode.

Early Disney did this pretty well, too (namely Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder and SPD) but nothing with the reverence and respect for the intelligence of the audience that Eddie's RPM managed.
I mean, does Sentai really? I've watched several seasons(by no means most just several) and I don't recall them every making fun of their spandex, or explaining eyes on any zord beyond the obvious when the zord is a living being, cause I don't think there's a season where the zords have actual eyes and they aren't living. Not that I recall at least. Nor do they really acknowledge the explosions, they just are.

And while RPM questioned those things, that was like a drop in the bucket of RPM. It was a couple jokes and that's it. While sure, they were funny don't get me wrong, for me that wasn't what made RPM a good season.

Again, the self awareness is such a massive deal. I'm not saying it needs to be a parody of itself, but just elements that show it knows what it is and isn't taking itself so seriously in smart ways that are fun for kids and clever nods for the older fans. The examples given for RPM are a good benchmark for what I mean.

As it stands, it just doesn't seem to get that. Nothing will ever be as glaring as Super Megaforce not acknowledging the incredibly obvious pirate theme, but treating a pedal bike chase as straight and serious as can be rather than poking fun at just how ridiculous it seemed just makes it hard to watch.
So...it sounds like you put a lot of stock in a show's comedy focusing on self awareness? Maybe I'm not reading the post right, it just sounds like you feel that somehow is a big deal and thus putting it in the show would improve it for you. That sounds kinda odd. I mean, realistically we got our self awareness jokes out of the way with RPM. What more could they do with it that wouldn't likely be the same jokes repeated?

You mention the bike chase scene, how they should've poked fun at it. Like how? They were in the middle of chasing a bad guy, did you want them to be joking with each other about how they're riding bikes? How would that have done anything but degraded the scene? Maybe you can give an example of what you mean with this. It sorta sounds like you'd almost rather actually have a season of PR that was just goofy and making fun of itself. You say you don't want a parody, but if your focus is on wanting the show to poke fun at itself, and treat moments more comically, kind of sounds like that's where you're leaning.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:27 PM #169
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Alitain wrote: View Post

I mean, does Sentai really? I've watched several seasons(by no means most just several) and I don't recall them every making fun of their spandex, or explaining eyes on any zord beyond the obvious when the zord is a living being, cause I don't think there's a season where the zords have actual eyes and they aren't living. Not that I recall at least. Nor do they really acknowledge the explosions, they just are.
Let me clarify that those were examples, very specific ones, of what RPM did as clear winks to acknowledging how ridiculous it was, not Sentai. I may not have worded that perfectly, I figured it was clear which moments in RPM I was talking about.

Sentai is self-aware, subtly and not-so-subtly, practically all the time. Kyoryuger is a great example of it, but most seasons for a long time now are clearly aware of the inherent silliness and can play up to it when need be. Are there cultural differences that make that easier? Sure. But there's no reason PR can't do the same, when it has done in the past.

And while RPM questioned those things, that was like a drop in the bucket of RPM. It was a couple jokes and that's it. While sure, they were funny don't get me wrong, for me that wasn't what made RPM a good season.
But they add up to form the whole. It's the little things that maybe you don't realise are happening that contribute to the overall picture, and RPM had a LOT of small touches that made it what it was.

So...it sounds like you put a lot of stock in a show's comedy focusing on self awareness? Maybe I'm not reading the post right, it just sounds like you feel that somehow is a big deal and thus putting it in the show would improve it for you. That sounds kinda odd. I mean, realistically we got our self awareness jokes out of the way with RPM. What more could they do with it that wouldn't likely be the same jokes repeated?
There's more to self-awareness than making jokes about what the spandex is about. I shouldn't need to explain that.

Like I've made clear, it might only be a small thing, but the small things eventually add up, either good or bad.

You mention the bike chase scene, how they should've poked fun at it. Like how? They were in the middle of chasing a bad guy, did you want them to be joking with each other about how they're riding bikes? How would that have done anything but degraded the scene? Maybe you can give an example of what you mean with this. It sorta sounds like you'd almost rather actually have a season of PR that was just goofy and making fun of itself. You say you don't want a parody, but if your focus is on wanting the show to poke fun at itself, and treat moments more comically, kind of sounds like that's where you're leaning.
Was RPM a comedy? Were Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder or SPD comedies? Or parodies? No, but they handled comedy significantly better than Beast Morphers.

I can't believe I have to explain why the bike scene was so jarring. It was Power Rangers, in full Power Rangers costume, chasing a villain in a serious scene, with serious "WE'VE GOT TO STOP HIM" dialogue..... riding pedal bikes. Not motorbikes (which one of them has), not the red one running his little heart out (MUST BE HIS CHEETAH DNA!!!)... just jumping on normal pedal bikes and off they go. I don't care if they were powered by Morph-X or if Elon fucking Musk designed them, the visual of it is so utterly slapstick that the fact it was played 100% straight just baffles me.

Have the news reporter look at them thinking "... what the fuck are these idiots doing". Have the commander just face palming at how much of a disappointment her dumbass son is. Anything to make us see that the show is at least aware that its ludicrous. It doesn't take away from the moment for the kids, but its a nod to the adults that they know what they're doing.
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:28 PM #170
> Fredbob392
Power Ranger

Fredbob392
Power Ranger

I really enjoyed the episode. I think Nate was a great choice for a Ranger, and Steel is pretty good so far too. The mantis thing though is so weird. First guess is Hasbro figuring American kids aren't as into beetles as Japanese kids, but why only change gold, why not change silver to? Oh well. It's ultimately a minor thing. From the point of view of someone who hasn't watched a modern Ranger series since early SPD, Beast Morphers is pretty great so far. Can't wait till it's back from the break
Fredbob392 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:50 PM #171
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Let me clarify that those were examples, very specific ones, of what RPM did as clear winks to acknowledging how ridiculous it was, not Sentai. I may not have worded that perfectly, I figured it was clear which moments in RPM I was talking about.
Yes, they sounded like the moments in RPM but the way you phrased was as if you were speaking specifically of Sentai, hence my comment because yours came across as confusing. But hey, good to know it was just a wording issue, all cleared up.

I can't believe I have to explain why the bike scene was so jarring. It was Power Rangers, in full Power Rangers costume, chasing a villain in a serious scene, with serious "WE'VE GOT TO STOP HIM" dialogue..... riding pedal bikes. Not motorbikes (which one of them has), not the red one running his little heart out (MUST BE HIS CHEETAH DNA!!!)... just jumping on normal pedal bikes and off they go. I don't care if they were powered by Morph-X or if Elon fucking Musk designed them, the visual of it is so utterly slapstick that the fact it was played 100% straight just baffles me.

Have the news reporter look at them thinking "... what the fuck are these idiots doing". Have the commander just face palming at how much of a disappointment her dumbass son is. Anything to make us see that the show is at least aware that its ludicrous. It doesn't take away from the moment for the kids, but its a nod to the adults that they know what they're doing.
I mean, they needed to chase Blaze and the bikes were right there. Cruise wasn't, thus bike chase. I'll give you Devon might've been able to super speed and catch up to Blaze, though we don't know how his speed works for long distances and if it's like a cheetah(which would make sense) it's just short bursts. Which means he might've been able to get to Blaze but unless he was able to blast him or something, Blaze would've kept riding away and Devon would've been worn out and now on foot, so screwed.

Seriously chill the anger a bit dude it was an honest question. All I asked is how you thought they should've poked fun at the scene since you made it clear you felt poking fun was the way they should've gone.

So...you want say a news person to call the heroes of the show idiots for chasing a bad guy? For immediately responding to a problem and not just waiting for him to get away and hope they can track him down later? And why would Shaw be disappointed, they utilized their immediately available resources and pursued a threat. They were being rangers. See here's the thing. As an adult, I can watch the show and look at moments and be like "Man, that's cheesy." Or "definitely silly". Like back in MMPR, Pudgy Pig. They have to feed him spicy foods to get him to cough up their weapons. I mean it's logical, but it's played off in such a cheesy manner that yeah, it's eye-rolling a bit. But in the show, they're a bunch of heroes fighting a monster and problem solving how to get their weapons back. So yeah, it's played(basically) seriously cause that's what the scene requires to tell the story. It makes sense. Even if the action is kinda silly. But as an adult viewer I can look at that and shake my head or otherwise understand it for what it is. I don't need the show to go out of the way to point out something is cheesy, especially when it'd be disruptive to the tone of the scene or story of the show.

If you want to roll your eyes at the bike scene, then go ahead. Having it done in show, using your examples for the sake of it, in a jarring and unfitting manner, doesn't do anything to improve the show or make it better for adults.
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:08 PM #172
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

I mean, they needed to chase Blaze and the bikes were right there. Cruise wasn't, thus bike chase. I'll give you Devon might've been able to super speed and catch up to Blaze, though we don't know how his speed works for long distances and if it's like a cheetah(which would make sense) it's just short bursts. Which means he might've been able to get to Blaze but unless he was able to blast him or something, Blaze would've kept riding away and Devon would've been worn out and now on foot, so screwed.
That's as stretchy as stretching can stretch, though, surely? That's literally adding things into the show that aren't actually there in order to explain bad writing. He can run faster than a man riding a bike, ergo, he'd catch up with the bike. They just really wanted to put colour coded superheroes on pedal bikes, is all, and it's just.... so silly.

Seriously chill the anger a bit dude it was an honest question. All I asked is how you thought they should've poked fun at the scene since you made it clear you felt poking fun was the way they should've gone.
I've noticed you do this a couple times, so, politely, stop telling people to "chill the anger". I've not lashed out at you personally, and my heart rate is at an incredibly comfortable state as I respond on here. Not everyone who doesn't like this show is a raging neckbeard, furiously typing at a keyboard. If I happen to throw a fuck or two in there, it's not exactly indicative of my unbridled fury.

So...you want say a news person to call the heroes of the show idiots for chasing a bad guy? For immediately responding to a problem and not just waiting for him to get away and hope they can track him down later? And why would Shaw be disappointed, they utilized their immediately available resources and pursued a threat. They were being rangers. See here's the thing. As an adult, I can watch the show and look at moments and be like "Man, that's cheesy." Or "definitely silly". Like back in MMPR, Pudgy Pig. They have to feed him spicy foods to get him to cough up their weapons. I mean it's logical, but it's played off in such a cheesy manner that yeah, it's eye-rolling a bit. But in the show, they're a bunch of heroes fighting a monster and problem solving how to get their weapons back. So yeah, it's played(basically) seriously cause that's what the scene requires to tell the story. It makes sense. Even if the action is kinda silly. But as an adult viewer I can look at that and shake my head or otherwise understand it for what it is. I don't need the show to go out of the way to point out something is cheesy, especially when it'd be disruptive to the tone of the scene or story of the show.

If you want to roll your eyes at the bike scene, then go ahead. Having it done in show, using your examples for the sake of it, in a jarring and unfitting manner, doesn't do anything to improve the show or make it better for adults.
So, you used an example from MMPR as to how something clearly silly was used. That's fine; it's a precedent that totally happened, and can't be argued.

Except... it was 1993, and the first ever season of the show. Times have changed since then, unsurprisingly, and like most everything the same approach then doesn't work now. It's why things like Ben and Betty are so off-putting; it's this continued trend of trying to ape whatever worked way back when because MMPR continues to be the only aspect of the brand with any real staying power and name value, but disregarding WHY it worked when it did.

Most kids are smarter than Power Rangers gives them credit for; I'd like to hope most adults are too.
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:10 PM #173
> Trey-El
Red Scorpion Ranger

Trey-El
Red Scorpion Ranger

Oh joy.

Was RPM a comedy? Were Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder or SPD comedies? Or parodies? No, but they handled comedy significantly better than Beast Morphers.
So the point is what? The best comedy in PR is when they are being self aware? Because self awareness =/= good comedy. It just that those seasons played it off well enough.

So much more jarring for Rangers to be riding bikes than half of the things that we have seen in the past 26 seasons. Oh no, rangers riding bikes in their suits! The horror! Btw, the bikes were readily available since they were right next to them instead of waiting for Cruise to arrive. Plus, we don't know how long Devon can be fast for.

But why? There's nothing to gain from it. Zoey's mom would be more interested in the chase itself than rangers on bikes. No one is going to care that "the rangers are on bikes and looks stupid"

Secondly, why would Ravi's mom facepalm if the rangers are still pursuing an enemy with the resources they have? Then it makes her seem like she'd rather want them to stay and let Blaze escape than using the bikes (the horror!) to keep the chase and possibly catch him and possibly get some information on what the villains are planning.
Trey-El is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:25 PM #174
> JaimeZeo
K, then.

JaimeZeo
K, then.

Trey-El wrote: View Post

Oh joy.
Do stop that.

Trey-El wrote: View Post

So the point is what? The best comedy in PR is when they are being self aware? Because self awareness =/= good comedy. It just that those seasons played it off well enough.
Most of the best comedy, or comic relief at least, is to me, yeah. That's why I said it.

And I'm well aware that [something] doesn't automatically equal good. That's common sense. The obvious point is that if other seasons can achieve the aforementioned quality, why can't this one?

There's a common denominator in there, somewhere.

I covered the rest of your post in my last reply. Also, it's worth stating that I didn't once say "This is exactly what should happen in the episode in order for it to meet my lofty standards"; I was spitballing ideas, clearly tongue-in-cheek, in order to illustrate just how ridiculous it was. I mean, nobody actually thinks I or anyone would script a Power Rangers character to say "what the fuck are they doing?", right?

Superheroes riding pedal bikes to stop a super villain on a pedal bike, no matter how much it's framed, is farcical. If it's acknowledged as farce, then it works. If it's played entirely straight, it doesn't work. I was asked why I didn't like it, and there's my explanation.
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:51 PM #175
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

That's as stretchy as stretching can stretch, though, surely? That's literally adding things into the show that aren't actually there in order to explain bad writing. He can run faster than a man riding a bike, ergo, he'd catch up with the bike. They just really wanted to put colour coded superheroes on pedal bikes, is all, and it's just.... so silly.
I'm not putting anything in there. I'm just stating observations. It's fact, that Nick was not there. You could deduce that if the rangers just sat and waited for Nick to arrive, Blaze likely would've gotten away or at least been harder to catch cause he'd have a huge lead on them. And we don't actually know Devon's full capability with the speed. I was pointing out that it's likely it could only be used in bursts, given his cheetah dna heritage, which isn't a stretch at all. I didn't claim it was impossible for him to catch up to the bike. Just that it might not be given distance. Or that, even if he ran to the bike maybe he wouldn't have been able to stop Blaze and thus would've been left screwed and Blaze might've gotten away. It was...using information along with speculation partially based on said info or just guessing, to look at scenarios.

I've noticed you do this a couple times, so, politely, stop telling people to "chill the anger". I've not lashed out at you personally, and my heart rate is at an incredibly comfortable state as I respond on here. Not everyone who doesn't like this show is a raging neckbeard, furiously typing at a keyboard. If I happen to throw a fuck or two in there, it's not exactly indicative of my unbridled fury.
I say things like that at times because sometimes people's words can come across as potentially aggressive to others. And I'd rather not see it end up that way, cause we're all here to discuss civilly. There have been times that things have blown up though, so yeah I mention it occasionally. If you're not really angry, great you can just ignore it. And I'll admit, I was a bit too hasty here this time in saying it, so my bad. But I also wasn't implying people who don't like the show are 'raging neckbeards' as you put it either, okay? Not really sure where you'd get that from what I said...but doesn't matter.

So, you used an example from MMPR as to how something clearly silly was used. That's fine; it's a precedent that totally happened, and can't be argued.

Except... it was 1993, and the first ever season of the show. Times have changed since then, unsurprisingly, and like most everything the same approach then doesn't work now. It's why things like Ben and Betty are so off-putting; it's this continued trend of trying to ape whatever worked way back when because MMPR continues to be the only aspect of the brand with any real staying power and name value, but disregarding WHY it worked when it did.

Most kids are smarter than Power Rangers gives them credit for; I'd like to hope most adults are too.
I used that example because it was merely an example of a cheesy scene from PR that one can look at and understand the cheesiness of it. Or at least adults can, maybe kids, doesn't really matter. My point had nothing to do with the year or times changing. My point was that people are perfectly capable of looking at the show and if they see the cheesiness of it, chuckle or roll their eyes or whatever, but do it on their own. They don't need the show to effectively light up a neon sign telling them they should roll their eyes now. Your examples, in the bike chase scene, of the news reporter or Shaw's reaction, were that. A neon sign telling the audience they should roll their eyes now, no different than a sign telling an audience it was time to clap or laugh or whatever.

And yes, most kids and adults are smarter that PR gives them credit for, I wont disagree. But your examples of how you think the show should acknowledge the silliness isn't some "over the kids' heads, for adults" style of humor. As I said above, it's just a neon sign telling the audience how the show feels they should react. As you say, people are smarter than the show sometimes gives them credit for. As such, if they want to look at that scene and laugh at it, then it's up to them. The show doesn't need to tell them how they need to react. That's all I'm saying.
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:58 PM #176
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Steel? Really? That's the best name you could come up with? He's based on a beetle, so base his name on that, hell, call him a freaking Beetleborg if you have to. Anything could have been better than calling him a name as generic as Steel. Ugh, it's gonna be Keeper all over again.
Keeper kind of worked though, it was a title. He was Keeper of the Energems. Steel is kind of boring, but in all honesty I didn't like the name Beet J Stag either. I do however love the Mr Fantastic Super Handsome Strong As Steel full name joke.

Here's a question, if Devon loves video games why doesn't he call Smash Donkey Kong or DK? If you want to show his supposed gamer traits, then that's how you would go about doing it.
Besides the obvious copyright thing, Devon doesn't really talk to Smash. Ravi is Smash's partner, there really isn't a spot that would have fit a scene with Devon calling Smash "DK" as a nickname anywhere so far. This is an odd thing to hone in on, given how little time with their own Beast Bots any character has gotten so far, let alone time with someone else's.

I would put Ninja Storm up as an example of when something is too self aware to such a degree that it becomes self parody. Which is an oddly fitting bookend for how Disney went in and out. RPM does is briefly and sparingly, with a point when it does. That uses the concept of self awareness to the right extent, allowing it to know it's absurd but then embrace the absurdity and still tell a good story with it. NS just became too goofy and campy leaning into all the stereotypes and jokes about Power Rangers without countering them in some way.

Self awareness is something most series in PR lack, even when embracing campiness as a whole.

I would actually say the bike chase works in tandem with the idea of self awareness. It doesn't go out of its way to wink at the audience and say "look how silly we are, we see the same ridiculous things you do", but it is embracing the wackier side of PR without going too far into camp or too far into self commentary.

It doesn't treat it as a hardcore serious moment but it doesn't treat it as a self aware joke. It's sort of an in between mostly just for fun scene, they get to do silly stupid tricks and it looks cool, it's funny looking for how absurd it is, and it ends up serving a purpose in the episode. I think it could have used a line added in like "Are we really doing this?" when they began the bike chase, but overall I think the sequence is funny and a nice break up of standard ranger vs monster fight footage. It doesn't lean over to say "hey we know this is silly" it just lets it be silly. I'm not really sure what I'd prefer in that moment though.

Fredbob392 wrote: View Post

I really enjoyed the episode. I think Nate was a great choice for a Ranger, and Steel is pretty good so far too. The mantis thing though is so weird. First guess is Hasbro figuring American kids aren't as into beetles as Japanese kids, but why only change gold, why not change silver to? Oh well. It's ultimately a minor thing. From the point of view of someone who hasn't watched a modern Ranger series since early SPD, Beast Morphers is pretty great so far. Can't wait till it's back from the break
I would imagine they see the curved hook as being so prominent with the zord it looks more mantis like than a beetle in animal mode. That'd be the only justification I could see, maybe it doesn't even get an animal mode and only appears as the battle mode fighter or crane. Maybe they've mixed up the zords too and they're just going to say both are a combo of beetle/mantis and human DNA. Hence the forms they take.

It's a weird choice that needs an answer.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 12:49 PM #177
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

I dont really have any complains with this episode. I think Nate is the best character of the 4 so its nice to see him finally become a ranger... but him becoming gold was a little too... quick? It was no real build up or story arc behind it. Should have been a 2 parter at least.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 02:36 PM #178
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

I think Nate is the best character of the 4 so its nice to see him finally become a ranger... but him becoming gold was a little too... quick? It was no real build up or story arc behind it. Should have been a 2 parter at least.
I actually liked that for once we didn't make the sixth this gigantic deal, where the other Rangers are getting their asses handed to them out of the blue or Nate is crossing the rubicon. He was in the normal jam the brainy character tends to find themselves in, and the way out he devised just happened to involve the Ranger powers he was clearly planning to eventually give himself anyway. It's the Ziggy method, just with a more marketable character.

Now, I will agree that Steel was introduced too quickly to be a perfect combat partner (or even to know what combat is right after his birth), but I assume there will be multiple episodes dealing with his view of the world given he is a Power Ranger as opposed to the other Beast Bots.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 03:27 PM #179
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

Now, I will agree that Steel was introduced too quickly to be a perfect combat partner (or even to know what combat is right after his birth), but I assume there will be multiple episodes dealing with his view of the world given he is a Power Ranger as opposed to the other Beast Bots.
You'd imagine that Nate programmed the other three, and they didn't seem to need much time to understand the basics.

Although I'm LOLing at the assumption that there will be multiple episodes building his character. Like the relatioships between the first three and their respective Rangers was a big deal?
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2019, 03:46 PM #180
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Peter wrote: View Post

You'd imagine that Nate programmed the other three, and they didn't seem to need much time to understand the basics.
How do we know that, though? We weren't there when the other three came online, we met them at the same time the Rangers did.

Like the relatioships between the first three and their respective Rangers was a big deal?
But they don't morph...